200w (12).gif
dc0aba7ce7e4c1b48559e4f43cf3c2ea.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
20240418_122418 (resized).jpg
20240418_122338 (resized).jpg
IMG_1636 (resized).jpeg
20240409_134125 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 142.
#2001 1 year ago

Just got confirmation from the Australian distro that our LE order has been locked in (we are number 33)! I (and my wife) can breathe easy now.

#2002 1 year ago
Quoted from Makakka:

I think PF has taken it too far with noscreen. It’s just the oppsosite of TG and that’s ok bc lots of lcd games have released I would be surprised if the success of PF will be a trend reversal but what speaks for it noscreen cuts a lot of cost and frees dev time for other areas.
JJP is the godfather of lcd. LCD is made for very deep rulesets with multiple layers for that you need multiwindowed visuals to send info you can’t display that on the playfield or on callouts. DMD can’t do that that’s why JJPs Einstein move with lcd it took pinball out the middleages into the 21st century.
I agree in that regard though that on flatter code meaning from all other manufacturers an lcd is not needed bc it then „only“ provides visuals without any game info. Still can’t even imagine missing visuals on those games but that’s question of taste. Imo visuals are needed even more on flatter code to make the experience richer.

Or….JJP & the giant LCD turned pinball into a confusing and convoluted slot-machine with bizarre use of licensed assets for most titles. I don’t even want to play The SlotFather. Very much looking forward to Pulp Fiction as a refreshing change of pace.

#2003 1 year ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Just got confirmation from the Australian distro that our LE order has been locked in (we are number 33)! I (and my wife) can breathe easy now.

Congrats! I have a feeling this is going to be one of those pins you don't want to miss out on. I've been in this hobby for a while now, this one feels like a home run! Again, congrats!

#2004 1 year ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

Congrats! I have a feeling this is going to be one of those pins you don't want to miss out on. I've been in this hobby for a while now, this one feels like a home run! Again, congrats!

Thank you. It honestly came out of the blue - wasn't looking to add another pin. No idea when they will be made/shipped, but I don't mind waiting as this was an unplanned pin (but glad to have an LE confirmed).

#2005 1 year ago

Thank you. It honestly came out of the blue - wasn't looking to add another pin. No idea when they will be made/shipped, but I don't mind waiting as this was an unplanned pin (but glad to have an LE confirmed).

Agreed! I wasn't expecting to buy anything after the Foo Fighters announcement. When I saw the original teaser video for Pulp Fiction I was still skeptical, but when I saw the straight down the middle featurette I was sold. Hahaha. It seriously looks epic and I can't wait to get it!

#2006 1 year ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

Agreed! I wasn't expecting to buy anything after the Foo Fighters announcement. When I saw the original teaser video for Pulp Fiction I was still skeptical, but when I saw the straight down the middle featurette I was sold. Hahaha. It seriously looks epic and I can't wait to get it!

Haha, I didn't even wait for the SDTM featurette (I reckon if I did, I would have missed out). But after watching the almost hour long SDTM video, I am even more convinced this will be a mind-blowing pin. And congrats on getting one too!

#2007 1 year ago
Quoted from Makakka:

I think PF has taken it too far with noscreen. It’s just the oppsosite of TG and that’s ok bc lots of lcd games have released I would be surprised if the success of PF will be a trend reversal but what speaks for it noscreen cuts a lot of cost and frees dev time for other areas.
JJP is the godfather of lcd. LCD is made for very deep rulesets with multiple layers for that you need multiwindowed visuals to send info you can’t display that on the playfield or on callouts. DMD can’t do that that’s why JJPs Einstein move with lcd it took pinball out the middleages into the 21st century.
I agree in that regard though that on flatter code meaning from all other manufacturers an lcd is not needed bc it then „only“ provides visuals without any game info. Still can’t even imagine missing visuals on those games but that’s question of taste. Imo visuals are needed even more on flatter code to make the experience richer.

c93086df-3b35-436d-8a40-fa52cc0232ae_text.gifc93086df-3b35-436d-8a40-fa52cc0232ae_text.gif

#2008 1 year ago

Haha, I didn't even wait for the SDTM featurette (I reckon if I did, I would have missed out). But after watching the almost hour long SDTM video, I am even more convinced this will be a mind-blowing pin. And congrats on getting one too!

This is actually the only pin I have watched and studied with finger on the trigger! The topper was a must, because it’s my wife’s favorite scene. Women like dancing and I actually do myself….
It seems they may have thrown a few alternate things in just for the lack of screen/ramps. Guess we’ll find out!!

#2009 1 year ago

One of the things that drew me to CGC and MBrLE was the added new dots on the remakes. To go and reverse course on PF, though fitting of the mood and style they are wanting for QT, this is not what I envisioned for a PF machine. Did they hit that System 11 mark? Yes, I believe they did. It's just not doing anything a used Fire Power does for me for @ $1200 to $2k in todays markets. I know a lot of people have positive vibes about this, and I do too for what they are offering, but this will end up on my CGC "play on site" list not huo.

#2010 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

[quoted image]

The screen? That won't be the issue. The playfield has none of the features we're expecting in a modern pin. Wait until the gameplay video. I'm guessing there won't be one

#2011 1 year ago

Play what makes you happy. When 8 pins are announced all together there should be choice, not all competing for the exact same player base and style. Hopefully something for everyone. As long as you’ve got a fat wallet.

Every game doesn’t need to ditch the LCD. I think it would be nice if it was something we could get more of though, as an option.

It’s really worth listening to the Loser Kid podcast interview to hear how they approached the rules. They were meant to be modern in thinking but old school in being able to understand them from just inserts and callouts.

They also mentioned that RGB inserts helped them add more depth, again something 80s games didn’t have.

#2012 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

One of the things that drew me to CGC and MBrLE was the added new dots on the remakes. To go and reverse course on PF, though fitting of the mood and style they are wanting for QT, this is not what I envisioned for a PF machine. Did they hit that System 11 mark? Yes, I believe they did. It's just not doing anything a used Fire Power does for me for @ $1200 to $2k in todays markets. I know a lot of people have positive vibes about this, and I do too for what they are offering, but this will end up on my CGC "play on site" list not huo.

If you watch the featurette, it looks like the rules and depth are much more challenging than what you are saying. MBr is pretty easy to get through. PF took Josh Sharpe a year to work through, which may be too challenging but is typical of modern games. No screen will add to the experience in this case. I think this may be the standout of all games released so far this year.

#2013 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Is it intentionaly Mono audio, it looks like a single center speaker?
If you look closely on the CE Cabinet it looks like a two smaller directional speakers pointing slightly left and right and one larger straight down the middle. If I am seeing that properly it's a cool little setup.

Do we already have some confirmation on this?

#2014 1 year ago

I don’t know why everyone keeps saying the “rules sound more in depth”. Than what? A SS or EM game? I suppose that is true. The rule sheet is there to read. Nothing that deep or mysterious about them at all. 5 things to do again and again.

Spell pulp fiction by hitting targets a bunch of times and get pulp fiction frenzy multiball, lock briefcase get multiball and super jackpot, lock in pawnshop get multiball and super jackpot, roll all 4 scenes and get the shot multiball, start all 5 characters (saucer and then roll scene shot), You also get a cast chaos multiball and then the final wizard mode… Devine Intervention.

The rest are scoring and bonus multipliers.

I think that is a decent summary but I only read it once so my apologies if I am off somewhere. It’s a quick read and while I admit it’s deeper than most SS games it’s not deep by any modern pinball standard.

#2015 1 year ago

It fits the "simple can still be hard" flatwood paradigm, with multiballs aplenty thrown in for "brand new player appeal" yet display-less so as to limit the imagery that needs approved by the license holders/actors. QT may "own" the movie rights but last I checked, the actors get a say and a cut when he uses their images, no matter if they were used in the movie that he "owns". Talk to Robert Zemekis about Crispen Glover and BTTF2 on that one. He may also own their "likeness" rights via contracts that allow him the leaway to call this "marketing his brand" and use the existing IP as his "business card" or as merchandise, which he may hold exclusive rights to market, but knowing Harvey Weinstein, I would expect Miramax kept a grip on those, knowing the history behind the movie.

#2016 1 year ago

For someone who grew up in the 70s and have seen pinball come and go it is sure nice to see all the new releases lately. We are truly once again spoiled for choices. When manufacturer dare to wander off the beaten track it is also a sign of confident and a strong market.
When did we last see machines being released without bumpers, without ramps, without LCD displays, with rules that don´t require 20 pages of text to explain etc? Truly a grate time for us pinball lovers.
Now of to secure a PFLE

#2017 1 year ago

So who do you think will end up with LE number 666 or 420? Any other 3 digit number significant in the movie?

#2018 1 year ago
Quoted from Makakka:

I final hit some mode in G&R where some SOB programmer made it look like my game was melting down or bricking. The LCD Screen was like a puter on the fritz, once I realized it was programming not real I was like you rotten SOB to funny!!

LCD= good

#2019 1 year ago

The thing about no LCD is this game would have only been made if it didn't have a LCD. QT didn't want one. Should Mark and the team put their foot down and say they will only make the game if it has a LCD? If you look at how fast this game sold its obvious they made the right choice. Also, for me the call outs will do since I've seen the movie like 100 time and can play the scene in my mind's eye.

#2020 1 year ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I don’t know why everyone keeps saying the “rules sound more in depth”. Than what?

A WPC game.

#2021 1 year ago

I honestly didn’t think the LE was going to sell out that fast. I was able to get one later on the day so it wasn’t an instant sell out like R&M but it did a lot better than Scooby or Bond(s) and I’m not sure about Foo or Godfather CE if those sold out yet.

We had been making fun of 1000 as not being limited but it seems like it was the sweet spot for Pulp.

It’ll be interesting to see if CGC does the topper for later SE like they did with CCr SE+. I bet they will offer the topper SE at the LE price

#2022 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Or….JJP & the giant LCD turned pinball into a confusing and convoluted slot-machine with bizarre use of licensed assets for most titles. I don’t even want to play The SlotFather. Very much looking forward to Pulp Fiction as a refreshing change of pace.

I’ll be getting both. Cant wait. Slightly (just slightly) more excited for Pulp just because it seems so fresh.

#2023 1 year ago

I'm guessing this aesthetic is going to grab some people more than others. There's a clear divide with people and screens. As I've never been that fond of them in the modern games as most just don't do them justice I tend to like the DMD's more. I will say this crop of LCD games looks like they've raised the bar. I think FF, TGF, and GTF(what we've seen) have done a great job utilizing the screens. I just know that personally, once I've watched the videos a few times, I stop really caring and concentrate on the PF....so no screen on this does not bother me.

I think you can't go wrong with any of the offerings we have right now, just wish we could all get em all!

#2024 1 year ago

Nothing against lcd displays, but sometimes less is more, and I think PF is the embodiment of that.

#2025 1 year ago

Now I just want Stern to make a modern Star Gazer with alphanumeric so they could slightly expand the ruleset (like Beatles). Bond 60th could have just been alphanumeric

#2026 1 year ago

The most interesting thing on the podcast:

Mark mentioned that early on in the process they sent a game mockup that was a wide body packed with stuff including LCD screens to QT. He pissed all over it and said it needed to be old school with photos of Captain Fantastic and Dolly Parton. QT had a vision for it.

The other interesting piece was that Butch WAS on the playfield at one point, and QT asked them to remove him....

#2027 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The other interesting piece was that Butch WAS on the playfield at one point, and QT asked them to remove him....

Just realized that, hadn’t studied the game that much. I wonder what’s the story behind they maybe Bruce’s camp won’t allow it?

He’s obviously the third star of the movie.

#2028 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Just realized that, hadn’t studied the game that much. I wonder what’s the story behind they maybe Bruce’s camp won’t allow it?

I would guess his agents/estate is difficult to work with and he has some serious health issues now.

#2029 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

He's on a plastic somewhere, just not in the center of the playfield. Just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet that the culprit is Tarantino's ego.

#2030 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

How many pinball companies offer a 100% cancelation refund no questions asked? I am only aware of CGC doing this. Thus the wait really is meaningless.

Not sure where you got that info, but with CGC, it’s non refundable and non transferable. They wouldn’t let me transfer CCR SE+ deposit to a PF.

#2031 1 year ago

He(Butch), should really be more prominent in the game...hopefully a modder somewhere will give him that..

#2032 1 year ago
Quoted from mozach:

Not sure where you got that info, but with CGC, it’s non refundable and non transferable. They wouldn’t let me transfer CCR SE+ deposit to a PF.

Maybe not with CGC? My distro said refunds were allowed.

#2033 1 year ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet that the culprit is Tarantino's ego.

This is exactly what was insinuated....

#2034 1 year ago

Not sure if you guys know this, it has tried to be buried by Quintin but he didn’t write Pulp Fiction by himself.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/roger-avary-the-forgotten-co-writer-of-pulp-fiction/?amp

D500305C-8147-4226-81CC-DB950EFEF9C7 (resized).jpegD500305C-8147-4226-81CC-DB950EFEF9C7 (resized).jpeg

#2035 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This is exactly what was insinuated....

Quintin is a genius but probably has a bigger ego and you probably don’t want to cross him.

#2036 1 year ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

Don’t worry about a child friendly mode, by the time you get your game they will be old enough.

LOL. yep

#2037 1 year ago

They look like a couple of dorks.
They're your clothes mother...

#2038 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The most interesting thing on the podcast:
Mark mentioned that early on in the process they sent a game mockup that was a wide body packed with stuff including LCD screens to QT. He pissed all over it and said it needed to be old school with photos of Captain Fantastic and Dolly Parton. QT had a vision for it.

I wonder why he was removed

#2039 1 year ago

Has there been any confirmation from someone at Play Mechanix or CGC that there will be a playable Pulp Fiction at TPF?

#2040 1 year ago
Quoted from docquest:

Has there been any confirmation from someone at Play Mechanix or CGC that there will be a playable Pulp Fiction at TPF?

Yes there will be.

#2041 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Now I just want Stern to make a modern Star Gazer with alphanumeric so they could slightly expand the ruleset (like Beatles). Bond 60th could have just been alphanumeric

This, and shut up and take my money.

Seriously, if stern did limited run re-releases of the best of their classics (say, SG, SW, Catacomb, QS, Stars, Meteor)...Someone call Seth Disney and tell him there's easy money. I'd happily pay pro prices for every one of those if it was just the game made brand-spanking new, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one. But with just basic updates to LED PCBs/yopps and simplified boards and wiring could easily get them down below Home Pin BOM, and seriously, what good pinhead with the room wouldn't want a couple if they were 5k or less?

OK, back to Pulp Fiction.

#2042 1 year ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I admit it’s deeper than most SS games it’s not deep by any modern pinball standard.

That’s the appeal.

#2043 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Not sure if you guys know this, it has tried to be buried by Quintin but he didn’t write Pulp Fiction by himself.
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/roger-avary-the-forgotten-co-writer-of-pulp-fiction/?amp
[quoted image]

The picture you posted from that article has Lawrence Bender with Tarantino and the cast, not Roger Avary.

Roger Avary always had co-writing credit.

Bender was a producer on several of QT's films. He appeared as a patron in the diner scene. (He was also a cop in Resorvoir Dogs.)

#2045 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

The picture you posted from that article has Lawrence Bender with Tarantino and the cast, not Roger Avery.
Bender was a producer of the film. Avery always had co- writing credit.

Yes, you are correct they both were at the Oscars for the best screenplay (they won).

FDEC1CE0-1904-4A08-B964-B2B6CD041954 (resized).jpegFDEC1CE0-1904-4A08-B964-B2B6CD041954 (resized).jpeg

#2046 1 year ago

This is never going to happen.

#2047 1 year ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

This, and shut up and take my money.
Seriously, if stern did limited run re-releases of the best of their classics (say, SG, SW, Catacomb, QS, Stars, Meteor)...Someone call Seth Disney and tell him there's easy money. I'd happily pay pro prices for every one of those if it was just the game made brand-spanking new, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one. But with just basic updates to LED PCBs/yopps and simplified boards and wiring could easily get them down below Home Pin BOM, and seriously, what good pinhead with the room wouldn't want a couple if they were 5k or less?

My guess is those would be more like 7-8k each.

#2048 1 year ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

and wiring could easily get them down below Home Pin BOM, and seriously, what good pinhead with the room wouldn't want a couple if they were 5k or less?

What good pinhead wouldn't want them for $4k or less? Or 3K or less?

How about $7k? Cause that's the minimum for a new Stern pinball machine, for now and forever.

#2049 1 year ago

Travolta will always be the “Boy in the plastic bubble”.

The smartest thing he ever did was negotiate a percentage of the album sales for Saturday Night Fever and Grease into his contract at a time when movie soundtracks weren’t really big sellers. That is where he really made his money!!

#2050 1 year ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Every week it seems someone pitches this. The BOM on the "Home" pins only budget one node board that can drive 9 solenoids. Meteor's individually controllable drop targets would use a whole node board all by themselves.

If they were to re-release the classics, Pro prices maybe (but I doubt it). Below 5k is just a dream at this point. See the Fathom remake, Beatles, etc., for where you would really see the costs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,399 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

7,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Trade
There are 7,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pulp-fiction-hype-thread-/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.