IMG_6576 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0224 (resized).png
IMG_0222 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315_182941_Adobe Acrobat (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0217 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,878 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 138.
#1701 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I dunno - Pretty swanky topper on the Pulp Fiction LE and compares well with the GF CE less the ugly cabinet bling.
GF has the nice Franchi art but I'm not so sure about a "shit ton more" in the BOM. Outside of the RGB light strips there is nothing extra.
Personally I think JJP is pricing a lot of people out of their pins with the $12/15K model they have adopted.

Exactly - news flash, diverters aren’t expensive. GF is the most barren JJP game yet. Now I’m not saying PF BOM is higher or lower - I just know the BOM on GF is not a shit ton more. The BOM on JJP pirates? OK, yes, now we’re talking!

#1702 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

What is with their lighting system? It’s just blinding and unnecessary with this title.
I’m still getting over TS4 but wanted a GF down the road. Not sure at all but will wait.

I mean look at the RGB in PF. That’s more like it.

#1703 1 year ago

You ain't got no problem Jules. Go back in there, chill those suckers out and wait for the Wolf, who'll be arriving directly.

#1704 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I dunno - Pretty swanky topper on the Pulp Fiction LE and compares well with the GF CE less the ugly cabinet bling.
GF has the nice Franchi art but I'm not so sure about a "shit ton more" in the BOM. Outside of the RGB light strips there is nothing extra.
Personally I think JJP is pricing too many people out of their pins with the $12/15K model they have adopted.

You gots anymore of that stinky weed man?You must be high or blind to reality!

#1705 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Screens really began to change game design in the 90s. And it was a welcomed exciting change throughout the decade. I still love DMD games, for the classic animations alone. But when LCD screens came along, I feel some companies & programmers have just taken it too far. Throw in a million RBG lights and it's too just too much. You need callouts because you can't visually tell where to shoot, and the screens have way too much information displayed.
The focus for the player should always be the playfield. Period. That's something that has been lost in this LCD era. Which is why the PF throwback to an older era is pleasing to so many players & generating so many sales IMO. I hope CGC makes more games like this, where all the people, resources & money that's pumped into the LCD development goes back into making great playfields & other game features.

I watched a good portion of the SDTM video and it seems like there was some effort to cater to modern complexity in rule sets. There's a lot to do to beat the game, and the play seems challenging enough, so I imagine there will be stacking of things, and they have RGB lighting here, so there could be a lot of inserts flashing, etc. But admittedly I didn't watch the whole video nor have really dived into the rulesets so I could be wrong.

I did really like what DMD brought to pinball and how animations, etc were developed there. To me, LCD screens CAN be cool, but also can more easily be lazily implemented especially given how many of today's games are licensed themes so there's existing video to use in regards to the license. DP is an example to me where the LCD is done well & lends to theme immersion, even if the player isn't watching it a lot of the time. Things like Bond (as is so far) feel lazy and stale. Some that are primarily playing existing video are somewhere in the middle. And then LCD can be poorly done in other ways too - I really wanted to like Oktoberfest but the animations there were pretty bad.

I think like most things if it's done with skill and passion (and that can mean on the license side too vs. being restrictive, etc) it shines through.

#1706 1 year ago

Spinal Tap anyone?

#1707 1 year ago

An LCD screen with video can compensate for deficiencies on the table and subpar game play. PF's designers don't have an LCD screen and video to hide behind. Sure, there's 300 audio clips from the movie, but it's got to shoot well and and be fun like pins were from the era it's replicating to keep players coming back for more.

#1708 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Spinal Tap anyone?

No thanks. I had a spinal tap done when I was a kid (14). That was not fun.

#1709 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yes they didn't respond to my email (yet)

I emailed Sara@Planetarypinball on Monday late afternoon PST. She got back to me yesterday afternoon and locked in my LE. She said they had a few slots left for LE orders. Good luck!

#1710 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

No thanks. I had a spinal tap done when I was a kid (14). That was not fun.

Pinball forum.
Spinal Tap by Homepin has an LCD that plays only video clips. It also has a dmd for scores. The result is horrendous in person.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1711 1 year ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

I emailed Sara@Planetarypinball on Monday late afternoon PST. She got back to me yesterday afternoon and locked in my LE. She said they had a few slots left for LE orders. Good luck!

I talked to her. I'm near the top of her list.

I'm near the top of a couple lists...Someone will no doubt drop out though. Just gotta remain hopeful while people get bored of waiting.

#1712 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Personally I think JJP is pricing too many people out of their pins with the $12/15K model they have adopted.

As an owner of 2 JJP games, YES!

If they'd stuck "reasonably" around the same pricing or maybe tried and actually do SE's, hell I'd have maybe 2/3 more. More if they actually reran games without jacking up the price and jacking off fans!

#1713 1 year ago

So, I'm very picky about what games I buy. I love the Godfather movies...but passed on the pin, it just didn't do it for me.

Pulp Fiction...interesting...then I saw what they actually did with the theme! IN!

#1714 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:I love the retro look and feel. Much better implementation than

Deposits are in for both this one and Godfather, both CEs. Can I afford it? I cannot. Do I have credit? I do. So these represent two of the films my fiancée and I love the most? They (along with my Halloween pin) cover our top three pretty flawlessly.

On the plus side you only need 1k down on Pulp Fiction and it will probably be several months before they ship. You may even be able to squeeze in another pin in between Godfather and Pulp fiction? Haha

#1715 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So, I'm very picky about what games I buy. I love the Godfather movies...but passed on the pin, it just didn't do it for me.
Pulp Fiction...interesting...then I saw what they actually did with the theme! IN!

Did you go LE or SE?

#1716 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Did you go LE or SE?

SE...and on several wait lists for an LE. An LE I had a line on wanted full payment up front...I don't think so.

#1717 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Godfather was a roller coaster for me. When it was announced, I scoffed at it because 'theme'. When it was revealed I was actually pleasantly surprised and interested - mostly wowed by the looks of it. Then I watched the game play and I just wasn't feeling it. I got way more excited over the Foo gameplay video. FF is still way up there for me, but I figure that will be everywhere to try before I buy.

PF is a surprise. It hits all the notes for me. I admit I'm a sucker for the overall look/art of a machine. I also feel like this one won't be everywhere...but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Now to wait for what GTF has to offer.

#1718 1 year ago

I'm space limited to one new pin this year. So happy with PF LE! The bonus is that since it won't ship to 2024 (2025?), still have powder dry for 2023

#1719 1 year ago

Anyone want to take a crack at some new drop target decals for Pulp Fiction?
Seems to make sense that one would be the gimp, one the dirty cop, and the other the pawn shop owner.

Thoughts?

5103B856-1ADA-4D0B-AE95-4BF5F5040CC1 (resized).jpeg5103B856-1ADA-4D0B-AE95-4BF5F5040CC1 (resized).jpeg
#1720 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Seems to make sense that one would be the gimp, one the dirty cop, and the other the pawn shop owner.
Thoughts?
[quoted image]

I don't know..the 3 gimps makes me laugh. I mean, who expected to see a person in a gimp suit on a pinball machine?

#1721 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:Godfather was a roller coaster for me. When it was announced, I scoffed at it because 'theme'. When it was revealed I was actually pleasantly surprised and interested - mostly wowed by the looks of it. Then I watched the game play and I just wasn't feeling it. I got way more excited over the Foo gameplay video. FF is still way up there for me, but I figure that will be everywhere to try before I buy.
PF is a surprise. It hits all the notes for me. I admit I'm a sucker for the overall look/art of a machine. I also feel like this one won't be everywhere...but maybe I'm wrong on that.
Now to wait for what GTF has to offer.

Agree totally. I went with PF because it’s something completely contrary to the other games that are being produced. Both FF and GF look great and I’m sure will play well. But there’s just something about the strict adherence to a particular style that I admire about PF. When someone like QT has a vision and knows exactly what they want, regardless of what is trendy, it’s a cool thing and could be special.

#1722 1 year ago

Kind of wonder if there is a shoot the gimp mode, where one gimp target pops up at a time

#1723 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't know..the 3 gimps makes me laugh.

Agreed. You can never have too much gimp.

#1724 1 year ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Kind of wonder if there is a shoot the gimp mode, where one gimp target pops up at a time

The answer is no. The rules and code are posted and they are pretty clear. For a SS game there is actually a fair bit there but not so much for a modern game. I suppose they could amend something but it ready very clear as being done. 4 things to do and some wizard modes at the end from what I recall.

#1725 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Exactly - news flash, diverters aren’t expensive. GF is the most barren JJP game yet. Now I’m not saying PF BOM is higher or lower - I just know the BOM on GF is not a shit ton more. The BOM on JJP pirates? OK, yes, now we’re talking!

Come on man just the programming De Win did for the game.27” screen
multiple metal ramps diverters,and a mile of more wiring.We need someone that’s not biased do a realistic BOM.Once again I love PF and will probably buy one when they have been out and tested for awhile.

#1726 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Thoughts?
[quoted image]

One should be the gimp, one should be Willie Dynamite, and one should be Lt. Dan

#1727 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Come on man just the programming De Win did for the game.27” screen
multiple metal ramps diverters,and a mile of more wiring.We need someone that’s not biased do a realistic BOM.Once again I love PF and will probably buy one when they have been out and tested for awhile.

Do you know know how cheap lcd screens are these days? They are practically the only thing going down in price. It's cool that they are the only ones doing it, and it looks like they did it really well.

#1728 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Do you know know how cheap lcd screens are these days? They are practically the only thing going down in price. It's cool that they are the only ones doing it, and it looks like they did it really well.

Oh ok now I get it.

#1729 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Nope.

#1730 1 year ago

I haven't been this excited about the integration of a theme since Alien.

#1731 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

One should be the gimp, one should be Willie Dynamite, and one should be Lt. Dan

I dont get it…

#1732 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

You ain't got no problem Jules. Go back in there, chill those suckers out and wait for the Wolf, who'll be arriving directly.

That’s all you had to say!

#1733 1 year ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

You may even be able to squeeze in another pin in between Godfather and Pulp fiction? Haha

Or 6

#1734 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

I dont get it…

I'll give it more time. Pinside detectives will figure it out.

#1735 1 year ago

Love the cabinet and playfield design. I think this will be a good machine.

#1736 1 year ago

I'm just sayin', I'm race car right now and you got me in the red.

#1737 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

SE...and on several wait lists for an LE. An LE I had a line on wanted full payment up front...I don't think so.

That violates CGC dealer protocol anyways. They are not allowed to collect full payment until game is two weeks from shipping.

#1738 1 year ago

Really glad I don't have the clearance, but also really don't care for, toppers. Addition for mirror blades and a shaker motor for ~$200 will be easy. Everything else included in the LE, to me, is just a tchotchke. Except the speaker grill, but I'm expecting a mod or DIY option to chrome that out.

#1739 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Really glad I don't have the clearance, but also really don't care for, toppers. Addition for mirror blades and a shaker motor for ~$200 will be easy. Everything else included in the LE, to me, is just a tchotchke. Except the speaker grill, but I'm expecting a mod or DIY option to chrome that out.

There will definitely be "mods" galore for this one.

#1740 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The screens are cheap, but programming the LCD can be fairly costly (and requires specialized skills).

#1741 1 year ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

On the plus side you only need 1k down on Pulp Fiction and it will probably be several months before they ship. You may even be able to squeeze in another pin in between Godfather and Pulp fiction? Haha

$1,000? Damn I only had to post a $500 refundable deposit on the LE

#1742 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The screens are cheap, but programming the LCD can be fairly costly (and requires specialized skills).

Thank you sir

#1743 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yeah that was fairly obvious, but it doesn't take more work to do say what Stern screen size is vs. JJP's screen size and the screen size cost is negligible.

#1744 1 year ago

Any idea how tall this will be with a topper? I should be good for clearance but I should probably make sure.

#1745 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yeah that was fairly obvious, but it doesn't take more work to do say what Stern screen size is vs. JJP's screen size and the screen size cost is negligible.

We’re not comparing Sterns to JJP lcd’s I was make a more robust statement of BOM between PF and GF

#1746 1 year ago
Quoted from JordyRamone:

Any idea how tall this will be with a topper? I should be good for clearance but I should probably make sure.

Now that I think about it, with the smaller cabinet, I might have clearance

#1747 1 year ago

Someone get this person an LE!

7D38EE0D-0328-4800-A924-1142C6EC1562 (resized).png7D38EE0D-0328-4800-A924-1142C6EC1562 (resized).png
#1748 1 year ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

BUT how many ball paths does this one have????

So pumped for this game, I think there's a place for everything and I enjoy pretty much every game that's come out in recent years but just nice to see the excitement for this one. Kinda funny this is Mark's first game without ramps.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1749 1 year ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

I emailed her yesterday and got a response today that she put me on the waiting list and would let me know if one becomes available.

#1750 1 year ago

I couldn’t decide on FF, GF or PF so I’m out on all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Romeoville, IL
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 210.00
There are 6,878 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 138.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pulp-fiction-hype-thread-/page/35?hl=ray-dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.