200w (12).gif
dc0aba7ce7e4c1b48559e4f43cf3c2ea.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
20240418_122418 (resized).jpg
20240418_122338 (resized).jpg
IMG_1636 (resized).jpeg
20240409_134125 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,095 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 142.
#1601 1 year ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

There is a rule

ifpapinball is there any chance for a hurry up mode with the callout “Ketchup” from Mia’s Fox Force 5 joke, please?
A050C9CF-FB48-4693-86E0-48E5485DC27A.gifA050C9CF-FB48-4693-86E0-48E5485DC27A.gif

#1602 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

While talking about code, I've wondered if this game will receive any updates or just come with final code at release. Given a CEO did the programming, and they already have the full rules sheet out, I suspect its going to come with final code and we shouldn't expect any future updates.

Do any games come with "final code" on release these days? They might not be adding modes or making major changes, but seems unlikely they won't have a patch or two to fix errors / scoring imbalances.

#1603 1 year ago

Have I missed it, this has to have a foot fetish reference in the art somewhere. She is barefoot on the backglass but is there somerthing else?

#1604 1 year ago

they sold out of 1000 LE's?!

#1605 1 year ago
Quoted from Cayenne:

I talked to my distributor. 800 of the LE´s are for US, 200 for the rest of the world. Good luck with your reservations

Is the film very popular in other countries?

#1606 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Might as well face it, you’re addicted to Ramps.

Why did I just read this as Robert Palmer and chicks with getars

#1607 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'd bet Tarantino films are popular throughout Europe. And a number of Aussie Pinsiders seem interested in the PF game at least, if not the movie.

#1608 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

Ramps are great at creating great flow. Look at MM, the ramp to ramp to orbit shots are really fun and satisfying. I'm just speaking from my experience of owning Fathom Mermaid. It's a great game with the new rules, but it still plays like an 80's game and doesn't get played as much as my other pins. Code can enhance a layout, but the layout is also very critical. I just can't see how we can get the same sort of flow that we have been accustomed to in modern pins. And yes the wizard mode will be really difficult to get to as you're hitting standups and getting random ball bounce instead of balls being fed to your flipper after making a shot.

Look “If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor”
You’re into fast flow and for me this game is not about fast flow it’s about theme, extremely well executed theme. I want to enter into the world of Pulp Fiction and I want to hear Samuel L Jackson call outs and feel like I’m in the movie. I don’t give a rip about a ball shooting up a ramp and quickly returning to a flipper, I want to work through a mode in this game and then hear Jules recite “Ezekiel 25:17”.
I get there are some who don’t have a special attachment to this movie, maybe this isn’t the right game for them but I have been Reciting lines from this movie back-and-forth with my friends for more than 20 years and loving every moment of it!

#1609 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It is in the uk, my son who is nearly 30 said wow when I showed him. One of his favourite films, I ordered an LE but got cancelled because too many got ordered online because of a website error.

#1610 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

When I saw the alphanumeric displays I was sold! The problem with the LCDs now is they're so crammed with info they're pretty much useless. The only time I ever get to see what's on them is when I watch someone else play. And the scores are so small and some of the fonts are horrible. I'm looking at you, Aerosmith.
A game devoid of ramps is not a deal breaker, but it really completes the feel of the era of the game that goes with the displays. I'm not going to miss ramps, 3 flippers, LCD display, upper playfield, etc. I'd much rather have the saucer, drop targets, spinners, flowing loops and killer code. My Cyclopes reminds me of this game. Hard as hell and I guarantee you you'll never max out the monster bonus!

It is kind of funny all the anti pop bumper talk just days prior to this being revealed lol.

#1611 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wait, holy crap, I didn't load the rules PDF because I usually don't care much about reading reams of text months before I play a game, but they illustrated it??

Huge kudos to Butch F*cking Peel on this one! He put that entire PDF together for us in preparation for the launch.

#1612 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wait, holy crap, I didn't load the rules PDF because I usually don't care much about reading reams of text months before I play a game, but they illustrated it??

Refreshing!!!!!!

Other companies can learn from this. Sometimes I read Stern deeper rules and just give up.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Might as well face it, you’re addicted to Ramps.

I have been wanting something different for a while now. I actually liked the Elwin Bond but not affordable. This game looks like the perfect fit and I LOVE the movie.

#1613 1 year ago

Do we think that CGC will do a SE+ model again.. Like CCR..

Missed out on an LE- as the website inventory at distributor sold 28 games, when he only has 18 to sell

#1614 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

They may already have something like this, but I humbly submit an idea for a alphanumeric animation of a syringe for the adrenaline stab.[quoted image]

I feel like they missed an opportunity with the topper to reenact that scene. Imagine someone playing and all the sudden she pops up with a needle in her chest.

#1615 1 year ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Huge kudos to Butch F*cking Peel on this one! He put that entire PDF together for us in preparation for the launch.

I noticed it looked like a JJP manual explaining rules. Guess I know why now.

#1616 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

I'm just speaking from my experience of owning Fathom Mermaid. It's a great game with the new rules, but it still plays like an 80's game and doesn't get played as much as my other pins.

Here's my take on that, because I definitely feel you:

I don't think you can just graft new rules and RGB lights onto a 1981 game and expect it to play like a modern title. Fathom 2.0 is a neat idea, and I really haven't explored it, barely even played yours, but you're just stuck with a playfield design that wasn't meant for it.

It's going to play like a Fathom, slow and floaty and underwater. You can tune some of that, set your pitch etc, but it's a game meant for side-to-side action, and when you hit the left outlane hard what happens? You go up, hit a drop and dribble in to the pops, or lock into a saucer. That's just how the game is designed.

Look at Pulp Fiction:

Orbit (resized).pngOrbit (resized).png

There's a rule to light the orbit so the controlled gates open and you hit a quick orbit to whip around and return to the flipper. Fathom doesn't have a shot like that. Most games from 1980 don't. Do any? I can't think of one right now. It's a modern style.

This is why I don't think it's wise to overly compare Pulp Fiction to games it looks like. It's in a Bally style cab with segment displays, but no Bally game was designed quite like this. No VUK, or spitting multiballs out from behind the backboard, no subway, no screaming orbit shots. No wizard modes, but also playfields that weren't even designed with the idea of them.

You can graft those concepts onto Fathom but you can't make it shoot differently.

#1617 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Why did I just read this as Robert Palmer and chicks with getars

The game is flat
And there's no screen
It's like a level, from the street

The BOM...you can't justify!!
Just one lil' ramp
And you'd me mine!!!

You like to say this design's not up to snuff, oh yeah!!!!
But it's closer to the truth to say your response is damp
cause you might as well face it you're addicted to ramps!

#1618 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I noticed it looked like a JJP manual explaining rules. Guess I know why now.

Now we know where the money went lol.I had a Dialed In manual and it weighed in at 5 pounds!

#1619 1 year ago

Why buy a Weird Al when I get topical parody songs for free?

#1620 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The game is flat
And there's no screen
It's like a level, from the street
The BOM...you can't justify!!
Just one lil' ramp
And you'd me mine!!!
You like to say this design's not up to snuff, oh yeah!!!!
But it's closer to the truth to say your response is damp
cause you might as well face it you're addicted to ramps!

You a crazy mofo

#1621 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Here are the full rules for that mode, which sounds pretty cool to me. Who doesn't love ripping orbit shots over & over? Get your speed up by increments of 1 MPH with each spin of a spinner while active. Then collect the bonus at the standup target BEHIND the RT gimp drop target. Go fast enough up to 146 MPH & you can light extra ball at the saucer.
Simple to grasp, hard to execute. This is perfect rule design for me. I don't appreciate stacking of multiple modes & with concurrent multiballs running at once with confusing moveable shot multipliers & clown puke LED light shows running at the same time..... all indicated on a LCD display that's impossible to interpret with a quick glance. That type of design is just so unappealing to me.
[quoted image]

You are absolutely right...Less is more sometimes, and less just feels right sometimes, you know?

It's like classic arcade/console games compared to AAA Console games now...Just because you are giving me 200 hours of gameplay to finish a video game with sidequests, doesn't mean it's going to be fun, most of the time I lose interest 3 hours in...Whereas some of the classic console games of the 16 bit era I could play forever...

#1622 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why did you buy a game you clearly have no interest in?

How can you forget “flipping” aspect of this hobby

#1623 1 year ago

Just one more point, to follow up what I wrote above:

TNA has no ramps. It has an LCD but it barely does anything. You could play the whole game with the just the segments and the LCD covered really.

Does it play at all like any game from 1980?

Clearly Pulp Fiction isn't TNA, and I really want to see a real gameplay stream badly, but just saying, don't confuse retro inspired with playing the same as retro. It's easy to forget how basic concepts like shooting a full orbit shot weren't around before, and how much that changes things. See Bond 60th, or how Beatles tweaks Seawitch too.

#1624 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Look “If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor”
You’re into fast flow and for me this game is not about fast flow it’s about theme, extremely well executed theme. I want to enter into the world of Pulp Fiction and I want to hear Samuel L Jackson call outs and feel like I’m in the movie. I don’t give a rip about a ball shooting up a ramp and quickly returning to a flipper, I want to work through a mode in this game and then hear Jules recite “Ezekiel 25:17”.
I get there are some who don’t have a special attachment to this movie, maybe this isn’t the right game for them but I have been Reciting lines from this movie back-and-forth with my friends for more than 20 years and loving every moment of it!

I was also thinking about Godfather pin and how they made it onto a pin inspired by the movie but not really a Godfather pin.

With Pulp it seem a lot more like a pinball recreation of the movie and for me that’s what really tipped me into buying Pulp.

Also the songs as well as the dialogue used as assists. I woke up with the dance contest song playing in my head.

#1625 1 year ago

Maybe DeadFlip can do a basement stream over at @ifpapinball?

#1626 1 year ago

Just another alphanumeric animation idea

>in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass

ezgif-2-e1d4bf565b.gifezgif-2-e1d4bf565b.gif
#1627 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's a rule to light the orbit so the controlled gates open and you hit a quick orbit to whip around and return to the flipper. Fathom doesn't have a shot like that. Most games from 1980 don't. Do any? I can't think of one right now. It's a modern style

Seawitch? (What do I win?)

#1628 1 year ago

LE's are still available you just have to call around...

#1629 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's my take on that, because I definitely feel you:
I don't think you can just graft new rules and RGB lights onto a 1981 game and expect it to play like a modern title. Fathom 2.0 is a neat idea, and I really haven't explored it, barely even played yours, but you're just stuck with a playfield design that wasn't meant for it.
It's going to play like a Fathom, slow and floaty and underwater. You can tune some of that, set your pitch etc, but it's a game meant for side-to-side action, and when you hit the left outlane hard what happens? You go up, hit a drop and dribble in to the pops, or lock into a saucer. That's just how the game is designed.
Look at Pulp Fiction:
[quoted image]
There's a rule to light the orbit so the controlled gates open and you hit a quick orbit to whip around and return to the flipper. Fathom doesn't have a shot like that. Most games from 1980 don't. Do any? I can't think of one right now. It's a modern style.
This is why I don't think it's wise to overly compare Pulp Fiction to games it looks like. It's in a Bally style cab with segment displays, but no Bally game was designed quite like this. No VUK, or spitting multiballs out from behind the backboard, no subway, no screaming orbit shots. No wizard modes, but also playfields that weren't even designed with the idea of them.
You can graft those concepts onto Fathom but you can't make it shoot differently.

I just got Fathom remake and you are correct. It’s not modern and the new rules are welcome because otherwise it’s very shallow (pun intended). But the new rules are stuck with the old layout so there’s not a lot to shoot for and it doesn’t do anything different than the old layout.

I thought maybe Fathom would be something like TNA but it’s not at all. I still love Fathom but honestly it’s mostly about the looks and Haggis did an incredible job with it looks.

I’m not usually a street level pin owner but it’s nice for a change and I’ll keep TNA forever, Fathom not sure maybe trade it out when the next Haggis remake comes out.

#1630 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I was also thinking about Godfather pin and how they made it onto a pin inspired by the movie but not really a Godfather pin.
With Pulp it seem a lot more like a pinball recreation of the movie and for me that’s what really tipped me into buying Pulp.
Also the songs as well as the dialogue used as assists. I woke up with the dance contest song playing in my head.

Also $15,000 for a GF CE vs. $9500 for a PF LE. Both have amazing toppers also.

I like GF but I think PF will be more fun, with a better theme and looks better for way less money!

#1631 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

While talking about code, I've wondered if this game will receive any updates or just come with final code at release. Given a CEO did the programming, and they already have the full rules sheet out, I suspect its going to come with final code and we shouldn't expect any future updates.

Josh said it’s not 100% fully baked, but it’s close.

#1632 1 year ago
Quoted from gprotein:

How can you forget “flipping” aspect of this hobby

I don’t consider that part of the hobby. Sounds like part of a business to me.

#1633 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why did you buy a game you clearly have no interest in?

I didn't say I have no interest in it. I own a Fathom Mermaid. I like simple pins that I can explain the rules in 5 minutes or lesson . I have purchased many art pieces from the 80's Bally era like Medusa, Xenon and Fathom. I'll probably churn thru every new game that Haggis makes. I would be a season ticket holder if I knew he'd be able to produce them all and knew the timeframe and knew how many LEs there would be in each title.

That said, most of my games will have fat rule sets, ramps and interactive toys. I actually don't like overly fat rule sets. To me TZ and MM have the best rule sets for a game. MM reigns supreme imo. Great flow, great ramps, best interactive toy in pinball, great callouts, great theme.

People buying PF should understand they're buying an art piece that will not get played nearly as much as the other pins in their collection. It's more of an art piece.

#1634 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Do we think that CGC will do a SE+ model again.. Like CCR..
Missed out on an LE- as the website inventory at distributor sold 28 games, when he only has 18 to sell

No chance I was told .

#1635 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I like GF but I think PF will be more fun, with a better theme and looks better for way less money!

True that’s $5500 different. I wish JJP the best, but they’ve lost me unless it’s on the secondary market at a discount. Not spending $15k and come that Stern has me in the red with their $13K LEs no topper at that price.

#1636 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

People buying PF should understand they're buying an art piece that will not get played nearly as much as the other pins in their collection. It's more of an art piece.

You need to understand this isn’t true at all.

#1637 1 year ago

Any Distributors with PFLE willing to ship to UK - drop me a PM!

#1638 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

Too early to make this bold claim. For me, GNRLE was all art and no fun (lasted a few months). Many people disagree with me. OTOH, R&M keeps me coming back for the humor and theme integration. I'm hoping the PF integration/package pulls me in as well.

#1639 1 year ago

I found an LE, but it would cost $1k premium over msrp. Not sure if I'm that bad of a mother flipper or not for mostly a topper.

#1640 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Pulp Fiction is a great theme few are better.But to compare a GF CE to a PF LE is not fair.Maybe compare PFLE to GF LE?$9500 to $12000 would be more fair
It is a better theme but the artwork is hands down Godfather.
Right now we’re in the pink cloud faze of analyzing GF.There is a shit ton more programming and BOM in Godfather.That being said I get how cool PF is .It’s my favorite movie of all time and I love Tarentino

#1641 1 year ago
Quoted from frobozz:

Seawitch? (What do I win?)

You know, I even talked about Beatles being an upgraded Seawitch, but I was so focused on thinking about how Stern tweaked it that I didn't actually consider the original.

You win one internet point, good for redemption at all retailers who accept them.

#1642 1 year ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

I found an LE, but it would cost $1k premium over msrp. Not sure if I'm that bad of a mother flipper or not for mostly a topper.

Who is charging over MSRP?

#1643 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Who is charging over MSRP?

Well, unless distributors pay freight to CGC. I'd assume not. Was quoted $10.5k+tax.

#1644 1 year ago

I also love the customer-friendly CGC extended warranty for LE owners. An extra year warranty is a really nice perk for being an LE customer. Sad no other manufacturer offers this.

#1645 1 year ago

LOVE this theme! Absolutely love it! No video screen...no problem. So fun, so original & unique. I know Quentin is very selective and I'm so happy this was built! We need more R-rated pins! In for an LE!

#1646 1 year ago

Who has LEs still? My DMs are open. I've sent out a few emails to a couple of places but haven't heard back from anyone.

#1647 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Who has LEs still? My DMs are open. I've sent out a few emails to a couple of places but haven't heard back from anyone.

did you try planetary yet?

#1648 1 year ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

did you try planetary yet?

Yes they didn't respond to my email (yet)

#1649 1 year ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Well, unless distributors pay freight to CGC. I'd assume not. Was quoted $10.5k+tax.

Who is charging that?

#1650 1 year ago

Definitely hyped!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,399 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Romeoville, IL
Wanted
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,095 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pulp-fiction-hype-thread-/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.