200w (12).gif
dc0aba7ce7e4c1b48559e4f43cf3c2ea.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
20240418_122418 (resized).jpg
20240418_122338 (resized).jpg
IMG_1636 (resized).jpeg
20240409_134125 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,095 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 142.
#501 1 year ago

Looks like crap.

It'll be great when this single level revival period is over.

Happy for those who like these kind of games.

#502 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

A pinball machine without a TV on it. Remember those days?

Yes, and those machines were like $1000 out the door lol

#503 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

We’re still doing this?

I guess I missed some earlier posts. I didn’t realize you had an inside track on this. You could have just said so.

#504 1 year ago

Catching up on thread and like what I see.
Any deets on pricing yet?

#505 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love 1980 Ballys, owned a bunch, played a bunch, they're great. But you do put up with a lot of things that modern games have you used to enjoying. Like a ball save for shitty plunges. Music and sound effects that aren't limited by old processors and RAM. Modern LED lighting. Modern rule advances, even in simpler games there can be innovations in approach and score balancing.
And, all that with a nice new playfield, instead of one with a lot of wear.
Simpler, harder games are a ton of fun. Games that aren't designed for 45 minute play times are a ton of fun. Any decent sized collection should really have at least one, for variety and play with guests imo. We need more new ones. I wish Stern would make one too that wasn't tied to some dumb price scheme.

Look, I get it. But if you're giving me all these retro features the price needs to reflect that too. If its 7k, or 10k or whatever and I'm hellbent on spending that on a retro pinball machine, I'm going to buy 2 nice system 11's or a funhouse, or I mean, I got a list a mile long. I don't know, thats just me and I feel like outside of our hardcore enthusiast forum here it will be a common reaction as well. I totally understand why this would appeal to people, just...man thats a lot to spend for a game with potentially very little going on other than some music and callouts. I guess we'll see what the playfield is like...

#506 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

But are you really in? You are grabbing one?

Who knows? Maybe some people make decisions like that, but I'm a "play it first" kinda guy. The FOMO train left my station years ago.

Let's just say that after seeing what I've seen of the art that it will be that much easier to wait to play it.

#507 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I guess I missed some earlier posts. Okay, so why do YOU think this is real? It looks like it was drawn by an AI. And where are they gonna get 500+ metal coin doors these days? It makes no sense IMHO.

Every pinball machine has metal coin doors.

#508 1 year ago

Imagine you have had 30 yrs to develop any game you want with all the technology of today, plus all the files and database of WMS/Bally and this is what is released for probably 10 K +

Fully believe the market will soon start correcting itself extremely quickly which is positive but can also be very negative.

Now if this is/was a 7,5K game, we are still moving along rather well for the hobby.

Went from blind order for me to…. Pass, with two shakes of a lambs tail.

#509 1 year ago

I'm not sure why they went with the 1980 Bally/Stern cabinet and display style for a movie from the 1990's? That said, I love this era of machine. It really looks great and depending on the sounds and gameplay, I could picture being in on it. I've been on the list for a while, but I could always back out. The price better stay low though. Not like there is an army of people like it takes to build a game with modern LCD display or the BOM of a normal modern game.

#510 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Looks like crap.
Happy for those who like these kind of games.

You running out of games with ramps over there or what?

Plenty of space on the market for something different.

#511 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I guess I missed some earlier posts. Okay, so why do YOU think this is real? It looks like it was drawn by an AI. And where are they gonna get 500+ metal coin doors these days? It makes no sense IMHO.

Looks just like the pic Josh showed me for one.

#512 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Look, I get it. But if you're giving me all these retro features the price needs to reflect that too.

Quoted from Haymaker:

I totally understand why this would appeal to people, just...man thats a lot to spend for a game with potentially very little going on other than some music and callouts. I guess we'll see what the playfield is like...

No argument here. I'm talking about the appeal of single level games. They're genuinely fun! But prices now are dumb.

I was in on TNA at $6k, out at rebuying one for $9k. I miss it, kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but not nine thousand dollars miss it.

#513 1 year ago

I love how the cabinet is 3 toned like an old pinball cabinet stencil would be. Just black, red, yellow. Good attention to classics detail. It's probably decal, but looks like it would have been made in the 1980s and could sit in the side of a diner in the early 90s.

#514 1 year ago

regarding pricing

do you think raw thrills got into the pinball biz to produce a less expensive game for locations and the masses in volume or ... did they see the opportunity to make a premium priced, limited edition game to sell to the dream theme, richie rich collector market?

#515 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

He was at District 82 with Josh Sharpe showing him himself. That is about as solid as it gets.

#516 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'm not sure why they went with the 1980 Bally/Stern cabinet and display style for a movie from the 1990's? That said, I love this era of machine. It really looks great and depending on the sounds and gameplay, I could picture being in on it. I've been on the list for a while, but I could always back out. The price better stay low though. Not like there is an army of people like it takes to build a game with modern LCD display or the BOM of a normal modern game.

because we have collectors buying $7400 fathom remakes, so why not cash in and spend zero money on visual assets.

#517 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

because we have collectors buying $7400 fathom remakes, so why not cash in and spend zero money on visual assets.

to be fair, it does have a screen...the mermaid has two!

#518 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was in on TNA at $6k, out at rebuying one for $9k. I miss it, kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but not nine thousand dollars miss it.

A lot of people noped out of TNA at $9k. I think they would have moved all 500 at $7500 or even 8 with the cache that the game already has.

Pulp looks like a $5k game, so we’ll see how far the license carries the higher price point. Some won’t be able to resist, but many who love the theme will refuse. Maybe they feel better at selling less for more. That way they don’t get backlogged.

#519 1 year ago

Looks great! No screen is awesome. Back to what pinball should be about....getting points!

#520 1 year ago
Quoted from JWP72:

Looks great! No screen is awesome. Back to what pinball should be about....getting points!

At 3k NIB, LETS GOOOOOO lol

#521 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Look, I get it. But if you're giving me all these retro features the price needs to reflect that too. If its 7k, or 10k or whatever and I'm hellbent on spending that on a retro pinball machine, I'm going to buy 2 nice system 11's or a funhouse, or I mean, I got a list a mile long. I don't know, thats just me and I feel like outside of our hardcore enthusiast forum here it will be a common reaction as well. I totally understand why this would appeal to people, just...man thats a lot to spend for a game with potentially very little going on other than some music and callouts. I guess we'll see what the playfield is like...

That's kind of the razor on this for me as well. I'm super digging the early solid state retro vibes, but I also have a large pool of proven classic Bally/Stern/Williams titles that I can dip into for what will likely be quite a bit less money.

The wildcard is theme integration via sound, light show, etc., and how much that pulls me in emotionally as the theme is definitely one of my favorites.

#522 1 year ago

We're all mourning that this isn't appearing to be the game we were all hoping for. Maybe all these leaked photos is just a prank? Seems so odd that they'd go with an 80's looking game for a 90's film.

#523 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looks just like the pic Josh showed me for one.

Yes, but how do you know the pic Josh showed you is real?

#524 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No argument here. I'm talking about the appeal of single level games. They're genuinely fun! But prices now are dumb.

Even at $6k -- I sold my original after I picked up a Meteor for $500...Meteor wasn't *quite* as good as TNA. But it was close enough for my tastes that it didn't make sense to keep TNA anymore. (To be fair -- had had TNA for a couple of years at that point.)

#525 1 year ago

I find it funny that 'retro is cool' now and we're getting all these retro games... but it feels like it's a great idea at the wrong time.

With all these high price points, and new blood raised only on spike 2 era games... seems retro has a tough hill to climb. Where as if it were done maybe 7-8yrs ago they might have had more of welcome.

What time if the full reveal?

#526 1 year ago
Quoted from MayDave:

Yes, but how do you know the pic Josh showed you is real?

Fair! I get it, I’m still in that phase with GTF. I totally thought that teaser video was 100% fake. Haha

#527 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Every pinball machine has metal coin doors.

It’s the stainless steel that threw me. Maybe CGC had a big warehouse stash from back in the day. So far, that door is my favorite of the game, haha.

#528 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

We're all mourning that this isn't appearing to be the game we were all hoping for. Maybe all these leaked photos is just a prank? Seems so odd that they'd go with an 80's looking game for a 90's film.

It's Tarantino. People argue about whether or not the film is actually set in the 90s or not. It's full of anachronisms and throwbacks.

It makes perfect sense to me to do this meta thing where the pinball for the movie looks like it could have been on the set at Jack Rabbit Slim's.

#529 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

all this hoping sounds exactly like the people who kept insisting that Bond 60th would still have video and extensive media... even after a pile of evidence to the contrary.

#530 1 year ago

Nothing wrong with single level games with no display, but there are hundreds of those games that can be had for a small fraction of the price of a modern NIB. Some of them even have updated rules and audio available. You could have 2-4 proven great early ss games for the price of one of these new games.

#531 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's Tarantino. People argue about whether or not the film is actually set in the 90s or not. It's full of anachronisms and throwbacks.
It makes perfect sense to me to do this meta thing where the pinball for the movie looks like it could have been on the set at Jack Rabbit Slim's.

With The Wolf's NSX, the one question people shouldn't have is when the film is supposed to take place.

#532 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I find it funny that 'retro is cool' now and we're getting all these retro games... but it feels like it's a great idea at the wrong time.
With all these high price points, and new blood raised only on spike 2 era games... seems retro has a tough hill to climb. Where as if it were done maybe 7-8yrs ago they might have had more of welcome.
What time if the full reveal?

Nothing in the CGC website... so not sure why everyone thinks there is a big announcement today. Wouldn't you think that CGC would hype their announce time publicly? I'm guessing today will come and go without anything official.

#533 1 year ago
Quoted from jellikit:

With The Wolf's NSX, the one question people shouldn't have is when the film is supposed to take place.

BUt thE cErEAL bOx wAs dIscOntInUEd In 1982.

I know, and yet, that's just how the style is.

#534 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

Odd that they went with an 80's look for a 90's game.

They probably had to go for whatever mishmash of eras pops into Tarantino's head when he thinks "pinball."

#535 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I guess you'll have to settle for one of the four games with ramps released this month.

#536 1 year ago

There better be a mode where you can actually catch the guy who keyed Vincent's Malibu.

#537 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Very (very) anecdotal but I'm young-ish and new-ish to the hobby, my first game was a High Speed that I almost immediately dumped for a Hobbit because I wanted ALL the video assets and modes... now a couple years later, I absolutely love early solid state classics, I just don't love spending time fixing them. I'm really hoping this thing is priced somewhat reasonably and they sell enough to support this type of new game.

Sound + gameplay are really the only two things that make or break a pinball machine IMO. I value art highly, but if the game kicks ass otherwise, I can even overlook that.

#538 1 year ago

I’ll be honest, I’m kind of intrigued now - and I had no interest before. If it’s a great shooter with good playfield art and callouts, I might be in. CGC kind of won me over with the quality of their CC remake.

#539 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

BUt thE cErEAL bOx wAs dIscOntInUEd In 1982.
I know, and yet, that's just how the style is.

It is easier to get a cereal box from 1982 than a car that would have yet to be produced. And I get what you are saying 100% as QT has his way, just like the inclusion of music from other soundtracks as in Jackie Brown.

#540 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

A pinball machine without a TV on it. Remember those days?

I do! They were fun, but 10k fun? If its 6-7k, I get it.

#541 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Very (very) anecdotal but I'm young-ish and new-ish to the hobby, my first game was a High Speed that I almost immediately dumped for a Hobbit because I wanted ALL the video assets and modes... now a couple years later, I absolutely love early solid state classics, I just don't love spending time fixing them. I'm really hoping this thing is priced somewhat reasonably and they sell enough to support this type of new game.

Yes, your pattern is not unique and often what happens as new owners 'mature' their taste and start to appreciate eras they may not have had a specific past tie too. The issue is not everyone develops that way.. and the 'center of mass' or bulk of buyers for these NIB games are still chasing the latest gizmo or experience.

The best thing this game has going for it is the IP - much like TBL - the following and desire to be associated with it is incredibly strong.

#542 1 year ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

There better be a mode where you can actually catch the guy who keyed Vincent's Malibu.

Butch is supposed to have keys Vincent’s car, after the interaction at the bar while Vince was waiting for Wallace him and Butch kind of get into it and can theory is Butch left and did it as an F you

#543 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’ll be honest, I’m kind of intrigued now - and I had no interest before. If it’s a great shooter with good playfield art and callouts, I might be in. CGC kind of won me over with the quality of their CC remake.

This is right where I’m at. Very intrigued by what I heard post my initial concerns.

#544 1 year ago

Everyone “in at 6k, out at 10k” seemingly… I’m waiting or it to come in right at 8k. Ha!

#545 1 year ago

I wonder how many affluent movie buffs would pay to have one of these in their home theater, assets be damned. Ten? A thousand? Not my world, so I have no idea.

#546 1 year ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Butch is supposed to have keys Vincent’s car, after the interaction at the bar while Vince was waiting for Wallace him and Butch kind of get into it and can theory is Butch left and did it as an F you

Makes sense. Never thought about this before.

#547 1 year ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Everyone “in at 6k, out at 10k” seemingly… I’m waiting or it to come in right at 8k. Ha!

People are delusional if they believe a modern built licensed theme at 6-7k is happening today.
Stern pros are rock bottom and they can do so based on mass production scale.

#548 1 year ago

Key post

C93DB998-1059-48F6-877C-8A468A377D29.gifC93DB998-1059-48F6-877C-8A468A377D29.gif
#549 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

People are delusional if they believe a modern built licensed theme at 6-7k is happening today.
Stern pros are rock bottom and they can do so based on mass production scale.

On flip side, some would say CGC is delusional if they think they can sell a single level game with no video assets for $10k+. I guess the market will dictate the demand for this title...

#550 1 year ago

More modern topper, *squints*, doesn't feel entirely with the less modern display.

Definitely different things going on here!

At least they're doing their own thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Romeoville, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Francisco, CA
Wanted
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,095 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pulp-fiction-hype-thread-/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.