Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shotguns (resized).jpg
78FFD45D-5D38-4306-B1C3-B3B00F34977A (resized).jpeg
3F2AC42B-8FD6-4318-BD30-A4EB99979C71 (resized).jpeg
34CFAA1C-EB16-40A9-8323-6A337F207E59 (resized).jpeg
D29785F1-14AA-40BE-AD58-6769240968A3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 1 year ago

I have to go with Aurich on this one, Ramps are cheaper than drop targets. While the biggest cost is the tooling, once amortizing across the run of game, the cost per ramp, even fully loaded with parts, is lower than drop target banks. While ramps require other parts to be complete, drop Targets do as well (brackets/weldments, coils, switches, drop targets, springs, etc. and often posts and rubbers). They also require electronics/drivers and software development. When a game is pushing the limits of its BOM budget, the first thing that goes (after the Shaker motor) are drop targets, typically replaced with stand-ups -- even more frustrating is having them removed after already developing rules and coding the game to use them.

As far as Pulp Fiction -- as others have said, if you are not going to do it as an adult theme, then don't do it! If CGC is making this game, then I have to think they get that. The increase in pinball companies, certainly increase the likelihood of seeing some themes that Stern and JJP might shy away from.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Even if full ramp assemblies and full drop target mechs were similar total pricing, ramps definitely have more "bang for buck" when it comes to BOM rationalising.

Ramps are cheaper, so certainly give more bang for the buck. Even if cost the same, a lot of players, who focus on flow, don't appreciate drops in the way there were appreciated back in the 70s and 80s. Look at Hobbit, a huge number of drops, all individually controllable -- incredibly cost, but the cost is all under the playfield, where players don't see it, and don't appreciate it as much as some cool curvy ramps.

I am a big drop target guy, I have three or four games in my collection that are drop target oriented, of course those are 70s and 80s games. Something about a physical state vs a lighted state feels better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

7,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Romeoville, IL
$ 210.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pulp-fiction-1?tu=rosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.