Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JOESCHALL
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bowler5 (resized).jpg
    Bowler1 (resized).jpg
    Bowler4 (resized).jpg
    Bowler3 (resized).jpg
    Bowler2 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I have a friend ready to sell a working puck bowler--United's Caravelle--in Pennsylvania. To help him price it, I'm looking for some honest advice about its likely worth. A few photos are attached and he also has some video to show that it's working. Any help is appreciated.

Bowler4 (resized).jpgBowler4 (resized).jpgBowler1 (resized).jpgBowler1 (resized).jpgBowler2 (resized).jpgBowler2 (resized).jpgBowler3 (resized).jpgBowler3 (resized).jpgBowler5 (resized).jpgBowler5 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

I'd say 750. If they want to wait for a buyer that really wants a puck bowler, maybe up to 1k.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I'd say 750. If they want to wait for a buyer that really wants a puck bowler, maybe up to 1k.

Thanks so much--more opinions welcome.

#4 4 years ago

Sadly they can be a tough sell in this area. I have owned about a dozen of them since I started in the hobby and could never get much out of them when I was trying to sell them. I don't remember what I actually sold the couple that were fully working for but I don't think any of them went for more than about $300. Most of the ones I owned were Williams/United from the late 1960's & early 1970's but even the earlier ones don't typically sell for much here in PA. Down in Texas they seem to love them but not here in PA for some reason?

If he wants to get it sold quickly I think you will need to be around $300. If he isn't in a rush ask $750 OBO and see what happens. But I don't see any EM puck bowler selling here in PA for over $750 regardless of how nice it looks. The oak trim on those earlier ones makes them look a lot better than the newer ones but those early ones typically need a lot of cleaning on the score reels & steppers unless that is already done. They tended to move sluggish once the old grease started to harden up and typically get worse over time.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Sadly they can be a tough sell in this area. I have owned about a dozen of them since I started in the hobby and could never get much out of them when I was trying to sell them. I don't remember what I actually sold the couple that were fully working for but I don't think any of them went for more than about $300. Most of the ones I owned were Williams/United from the late 1960's & early 1970's but even the earlier ones don't typically sell for much here in PA. Down in Texas they seem to love them but not here in PA for some reason?

If he wants to get it sold quickly I think you will need to be around $300. If he isn't in a rush ask $750 OBO and see what happens. But I don't see any EM puck bowler selling here in PA for over $750 regardless of how nice it looks. The oak trim on those earlier ones makes them look a lot better than the newer ones but those early ones typically need a lot of cleaning on the score reels & steppers unless that is already done. They tended to move sluggish once the old grease started to harden up and typically get worse over time.

Extremely helpful. Thank so much. As they say on TSPP, "keep 'em comin'."

#6 4 years ago

I passed on one for $350. It was pretty nice, but not perfect.

In general, I'd say $350 is a good selling price. I don't think I'd go above $500 unless I had time to kill.

I've been looking lately, just because I do that, and have seen poor examples sitting at the $100 mark.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I passed on one for $350. It was pretty nice, but not perfect.

In general, I'd say $350 is a good selling price. I don't think I'd go above $500 unless I had time to kill.

I've been looking lately, just because I do that, and have seen poor examples sitting at the $100 mark.

Great input. Thanks!

#8 4 years ago

Saturday evening bump.

#9 4 years ago

I have no input but I would like to own one. LOL

#10 4 years ago

Well, here's your chance. It will be for sale soon . . .

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Looprunner:

I have no input but I would like to own one. LOL

Same here! Was there a video of it working? has any repairs, cleaning or maintenance been done to it?

#12 4 years ago

4 to 5 hundred, maybe. They do not move very fast.

#13 4 years ago

You are correct about not moving very fast. Fun to play but, noisy and take up a lot of room.I just finally sold a 1953 Domino bowler in restored shape in the PNW for $400. That was after trying to it sell for 2 years. I lost money.

#14 4 years ago

Joe

I have one that I bought a couple years ago from an operator down on Northern WV. He actually brought it to me which was really helpful. The machine was mostly working and just needed a lot of cleanup and typical parts replaced. It is a Williams Alley Cats. Not a dmd game but SS none the less. I paid 750 and would do it again. I live East if Cleveland and they seem to be what most gravity’s to when they come to my place. I think the value has a lot to do with where it is sold. They may not have a great deal of value in a Western Pa but they may in surrounding areas. Looks like a nice game. Unless quick cash is needed and assuming it reasonably works I would not give it away. Maybe advertise on Craigslist in typically more distant surrounding areas. Hope that this is helpful.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Winger03:

Same here! Was there a video of it working? has any repairs, cleaning or maintenance been done to it?

Thanks to all for the above very helpful comments. As to a video of it working, I have added one--though I can't say that it's 100% because I don't know anything about puck bowlers. I don't know if there have been any repairs, etc, on it either. Later today I will be passing on any comments from this thread to the seller so he can determine price, decide how to sell it, and decide what information to include. At this point I think I will advise him to either go the craigslist route himself or I will post an ad for him on pinside in a regional thread and then serve as a liaison to help him sell it to a pinsider.

The video follows, and additional comments today are welcome. After today I will close this thread.

#16 4 years ago

Definitely needs rebound rubber replaced. Would like to see video of an entire game if possible.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Definitely needs rebound rubber replaced. Would like to see video of an entire game if possible.

I was thinking wax

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Quoted from chas10e:

I was thinking wax

Thanks, and thanks!

#19 4 years ago

These games are super huge and super fun.

But due to their size it’s a lot more “just get this out of my house” than “this thing is worth lots of money and I will be rich.”

I’ve turned down many in various conditions for free. Wish I had the room.

#21 4 years ago

My first questions are always... Is it in a basement? Are there turns in the stairway?
    This decreases value in my eyes.
    Non-working... I might remove for free.
    Working... $200 - $400.
    (just because used pins have gone high in prices; doesn't necessarily translate to higher puck-bowler prices IMO.)

#22 4 years ago

i would start at 700 and take 550

#23 4 years ago

Great feedback--thanks!

#24 4 years ago

Okay, I am closing this thread and passing on the comments to my friend. Thanks again for all the input.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/puck-bowler-pricing-advice-needed?hl=winger03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.