• Latest reply 3 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Sane practice to alter the right slingshot into a kicker?”

• YES, DO IT 4 votes
    24%
  • NO, We will hunt you down, tar, feather, burn you, and then run you out of town on a rail. 5 votes
    29%
  • Who cares, it is your junkpile. 8 votes
    47%

(Multiple choice - 17 votes by 14 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Wanting to solicit the public opinion for a MOD to a non-so-great GTB Close Encounters..

Thanks to Clay's thorough explanation, I have this unit running again, with its funky, friek of nature Harris distributed processor main board, complete with goofy blue alien and funky sound effects electronics.

This unit was sitting in junk storage as a mouse hotel for several decades before I harvested it, and it has been in storage for about 10 years since then, finally coming up for restoration/rebuild.

Upon close inspection of the third or forth kind, I found its two slingshots has only the left one powered with solenoid and kicker mech. The right slingshot is just a funnel bumper between open space and the return/out lanes.

The non-kicker slingshot has only a stand up switch, but plenty of open acreage underneath around that place.

The solicitation: Any commentary on whether to MOD the game and ADD another kicker to the (right) slingshot?

Acceptable MOD, or tar, feather, run out of town on a rail, after being burned at the pyre?

That is all for now, and thanks in advance.

PS: I am highly inclined to add the kicker, irregardless of commentary....

#2 3 years ago

No solenoid drivers are available to power it. You'd have to piggyback off another device or wire it up fully mechanical like an EM sling.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No solenoid drivers are available to power it. You'd have to piggyback off another device or wire it up fully mechanical like an EM sling.

Appears to be direct-powered...

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from keith20mm:

Appears to be direct-powered...[quoted image]

Correct, System 1 slings are directly powered, no boards involved.

I've often wondered about doing a similar mod to my Genie, which has the same issue: right sling doesn't have a kicker. But I'm not quite willing to cut a hole in my playfield to find out if it plays better

Modding close encounters would be harder though, since you'll need to cut a slot for the kicker, and holes for the switches to sense when the ball has been hit, since it doesn't seem to have any switch?

I'd be concerned whether you can actually fit a sliingshot and 1-2 switches in on this game, considering how small the rubber is. I can't really think of any games with bumpers that small that have slingshots. (Joker Poker, Count Down, and Volley come to mind as other games with small bumpers like this). Some other gottliebs with small bumpers like Gladiators and Bone Busters use kicking targets instead of slingshots.

Might want to start by getting a spare bit of plywood, and spacing out the same posts, and doing some test cuts to see if you can fit everything in and it still works well.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Correct, System 1 slings are directly powered, no boards involved.
I've often wondered about doing a similar mod to my Genie, which has the same issue: right sling doesn't have a kicker. But I'm not quite willing to cut a hole in my playfield to find out if it plays better
Modding close encounters would be harder though, since you'll need to cut a slot for the kicker, and holes for the switches to sense when the ball has been hit, since it doesn't seem to have any switch?
I'd be concerned whether you can actually fit a sliingshot and 1-2 switches in on this game, considering how small the rubber is. I can't really think of any games with bumpers that small that have slingshots. (Joker Poker, Count Down, and Volley come to mind as other games with small bumpers like this). Some other gottliebs with small bumpers like Gladiators and Bone Busters use kicking targets instead of slingshots.
Might want to start by getting a spare bit of plywood, and spacing out the same posts, and doing some test cuts to see if you can fit everything in and it still works well.

I always found Bone Buster’s kickers really neat. My vote is add the solenoid in, provided you have space.

#6 3 years ago

It's your pin. Whatever makes it more fun for you is the right thing to do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/public-opinion-solicitation- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.