3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I saw this video posted to Reddit today:

It made me wonder about the legality in reproducing older EM machines in a VR format. At what point would an older 1970's machine playfield and artwork be considered public domain, and be able to be replicated in a way like these cool VR machines?

I would love to see a VR arcade filled with older Williams and Bally machines. They might not be as good as the real thing, but would still be a lot of fun.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from RSAvenell:

At what point would an older 1970's machine playfield and artwork be considered public domain

This January, several works from 1925 entered the public domain. There is a very long while to go before most artwork from the 70s enters the public domain.

Legally speaking, you would still need to get permission from the copyright holder to reproduce the artwork. However, the layout and geometry are fair game--those are not copyrighted. If the game has any unique mechanisms, the patents on those have long since expired (patents only last for 20 years).

#3 3 years ago

Before 1976, developers of copyrightable material had to work harder to protect their interests. If a game was made before 1976 and has no visible copyright claim or other evidence that the manufacturer intended to protect the art through copyright, then you can ask your local intellectual property (IP) attorney about the possibilities. Note that the company being defunct (e.g., Genco) does not necessarily mean there is no owner of the IP they developed.
    .................David Marston

#4 3 years ago

There are a bunch of 70s stern back glasses where they forgot to put copyright on them, those are in the public domain

Night of the living Dead movie they forgot to put a copyright on, also in the public domain

#5 3 years ago

I don't know if they mentioned it in the video, but that second game is Williams Grand Prix with different art

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Night of the living Dead ...

Night of The Flesh Eaters would have had it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/psvr-pinball-in-dreams-legality-in-reproducing-classic-em-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.