(Topic ID: 94593)

PSA: What happens to an EPROM inserted backwards into a WPC MPU?

By viperrwk

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN6588.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

Death. Of the chip.

DSCN6588.JPGDSCN6588.JPG

In these two examples (both TMS27040), certain random bits are blanked out (they were not the same in both instances) and as a result the images that were supposed to be on the chips did not verify against known good images. But since the bits were blanked, both could be erased and pass a blank check. However, when writing the chips again, the blanked bits could not be set and error out in the same place every time.

Both of these are heading for the trash.

Remember, line the notch of the chip up with the notch on the socket you are installing it in.

The board OTOH seems to be fine. So all you need is another good chip.

You have been warned.

viperrwk

#2 9 years ago

I always rub my fingernail over the notch after I've inserted the chip to verify correct direction.

#3 9 years ago

It's pretty awesome you printed a headstone label for both dead eproms just for that picture.

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"

#4 9 years ago

I should blow up a 2732 with reverse voltage and record it. Because where the 5v and ground pins are, plugging backwards directly reverses voltage. They go out with a flash of light from the erase window, no joke....

The larger eproms are layed out a bit differently and do not supernova like 2716 and 2732 do.

Don't ask me how i know.... oops

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I should blow up a 2732 with reverse voltage and record it.

yes please... i can't be the only one who would watch that 100 times or so...

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I should blow up a 2732 with reverse voltage and record it. Because where the 5v and ground pins are, plugging backwards directly reverses voltage. They go out with a flash of light from the erase window, no joke....
    The larger eproms are layed out a bit differently and do not supernova like 2716 and 2732 do.

Yeah - should have mentioned no visible damage through the window, no visual indication the chip is toast. Just e-waste.

As far as inserting these two backwards, it wasn't me - but that doesn't mean I'm not guilty of having done it...

viperrwk

#7 9 years ago

Also remember that if someone has already replaced the sockets, they may have put the sockets in backwards not knowing there is a notch side.

So if you pull a chip, place a dot on the notched side of the circuit board if the existing socket is in backwards.

I see this all the time when I see bad soldering jobs around sockets.....

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I've seen a wire in the erase window glow red and break in a 4 meg in a WPC mpu.

#9 9 years ago

Been there. Done that. Won't do it again!.....good reminder.

#10 9 years ago

i still get caught myself once in awhile. People always complain that the labels are backwards , but in the same machine ie a wpc with dcs the chips face different on the cpu and soundboard , so sometimes i apply labels so the chip is readable , but that means applying the labels differently in the same game . Always look at the notches.

#11 9 years ago

It's not just on EPROMs, either. Every IC has a notch. You can fry any IC by inserting them backwards.

Look for the notch!

#12 9 years ago

Lets see some fireworks!!! sorry if i sound half drunk.. well... derp

BTW, did TI make some shitty EPROMs or do i have bad luck over last few years?

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I always rub my fingernail over the notch after I've inserted the chip to verify correct direction.

+1

Each time every time. Folks complain that 'the label was on backwards', that like saying your walking of the floor in a space station,,, there is no up, it is all relative to the way the manufacturer did the board. Heck on Williams System 3-7 driver boards, they don't even orient the chips near each other the same way. ALWAYS look for pin 1 and the notch!!!!!!

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

+1
    Each time every time. Folks complain that 'the label was on backwards', that like saying your walking of the floor in a Space Station,,, there is no up, it is all relative to the way the manufacturer did the board. Heck on Williams System 3-7 driver boards, they don't even orient the chips near each other the same way. ALWAYS look for pin 1 and the notch!!!!!!

Always look for the notch... but *COUGH COUGH*, AMI BRAND ICs. Damn, AMI started off bad from the time the printed the label on the package upsidedown... it goes downhill from there when the IC fails later in life.

#15 9 years ago

ALWAYS go by the direction of the notch on the socket and chip.

You have a 50/50 chance and even with those odds its usually wrong.

#16 9 years ago

Step 1, rub original chip looking for notch, step 2 remove chip, step 3 rub new chip for notch, step 4 insert chip, step 5 look for how many legs missed the socket.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Its not you; they suck. Seems like you get a 50/50 chance -- they work in some boards, then not in others.

I like AMD. They seem to work in every board, every time.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Lets see some fireworks!!! sorry if i sound half drunk.. well... derp
    » YouTube video

thank you kind sir!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/psa-what-happens-to-an-eprom-inserted-backwards-into-a-wpc-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.