(Topic ID: 311854)

PSA: don’t wait over a decade to change your batteries!

By Sunfox

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinballboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    738EBA37-B570-41AF-93E2-88463F6A0AEA (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Only one of my pinballs takes alkaline batteries, a TSPP I’ve owned since new in 2003, and for some reason since it has kept continuing to work without issue (like losing settings or something obvious like that) I kept putting off changing its batteries since, well, I did it not too long ago… right?

Tonight I was walking past and said “you know what? I’m gonna do it”. Pull the backglass off and instantly OMG OMG OMG they’re leaking! Two of the Kirklands in there are definitely bad - and how the heck is it still keeping its settings?

Pull them out and… best if installed by 2011? Holy crap, I’ve been putting this off for WAY TOO LONG!

Thankfully (and surprisingly) no damage to anything, and even the contacts cleaned up fine. But don’t do what I did and wait too long!

Horrifying photo below.

738EBA37-B570-41AF-93E2-88463F6A0AEA (resized).jpeg738EBA37-B570-41AF-93E2-88463F6A0AEA (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

That happen to me with a pin I purchased a few years ago
    I went to look at the pin but the back box had damaged and we couldn’t get it open with out damaging the box more
    So I bought it with out looking at the batteries since everything was working ok and when I got it home the batteries were identical to yours I almost shit my pants but I also got lucky with no damaged to the boards

#3 2 years ago

With daylight savings time in the US perhaps an easy PSA to post twice a year is to check your batteries at time change….also that’s a great time to remember to check your smoke alarms.

We know it’s something simple to do but many do put it off. The truth is it doesn’t matter if you install good or cheap batteries as we have seen all of them leak. Can’t recommend NVRAM enough or at least a remote battery holder to get those batteries off the board. Even if you can’t install it yourself it’s worth the cost to have it done.

#4 2 years ago

I’ve got a game or two with NVRAM, but I don’t go out of my way to install it. I’m a big fan of AA lithiums for everything else. They won’t leak because their physical chemistry prohibits it.

#5 2 years ago

Does that brand typically guarantee 10 years? If so, those batteries were 2 years old when installed at the factory.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Does that brand typically guarantee 10 years? If so, those batteries were 2 years old when installed at the factory.

Kirkland brand. I don't think the factory buys their batteries at Costco....well, maybe.

#7 2 years ago

I bought a game that was refurbished a year ago that had those Kirkland brand batteries installed. I opened it up one day to fiddle with the leds and the same thing happened to me. The settings where still being retained but two of the three batteries where leaking. I pulled the batteries, best by 2015. Lesson learned, when people resell games they are too cheap to replace the batteries. I now have nvram installed.

#8 2 years ago

FYI, If you add your games to your collection on Pinside, you can use the battery reminder feature for each game.

Although the best option is to get rid of batteries entirely. They all eventually leak, even lithium.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #9 2 years ago

Is it common knowledge on what title stern stopped using batteries.....?!....Thank you....Joey

#10 2 years ago

Forget the batteries in TSPP. Get a nvram installed instead. Plug and play 5 min job and never worry again!

#11 2 years ago

Why not??

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/psa-dont-wait-over-a-decade-to-change-your-batteries?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.