Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1903 (resized).JPG
IMG_1905 (resized).JPG
IMG_1904 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So the original opto PCBs were a bit hacked up and one array wasn't working. I ordered a new set from Gulf Pinball. I put the new PCBs in and one of the targets wouldn't work. I went through all manner of troubleshooting trying to figure out why. Everything seemed to check out otherwise. I finally took the target bank over to my friend @taylorva and we plugged it in his game. The bank was acting even flakier in his machine, sometimes none of the optos showing up in switch test. He replaced a few wires as we thought we had some that were partially broken. Still, no dice. We used an old digital camera to check the transmitters. They were nice and bright. We then took the PCBs out of the plastic bank and held them next to each other...BOOM, all targets register! Now, where does this leave us? A warped plastic target bank apparently. The top edge on mine was tilted down a bit. I guess this just happens over time for some reason. I don't know if the Gulf Pinball boards are more sensitive to alignment than the originals or the ones from Great Lakes. Maybe they are to help combat the bleed issues that some people had with the original boards. I don't know. Anyway, the goal now was to make the target bank assembly true again. In other words, the plastic sides that the PCBs mount into must be perfectly (mostly) parallel. I determined what the gap, between the top and the bottom, is supposed to be. I cut a piece of wood to slide between the two sides that would make them parallel again. Yes, my wood working is haphazard and quite ugly BUT it works. It's tucked away in the game and you'll never know it from the outside The pressure from the warped plastic does most of the work of holding the wood in place but I added some tape for good measure. I'm sure there are some other ways to achieve the same end result as well.

IMG_1903 (resized).JPGIMG_1903 (resized).JPGIMG_1904 (resized).JPGIMG_1904 (resized).JPGIMG_1905 (resized).JPGIMG_1905 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/psa-doctor-who-target-bank-opto-board-alignment?tu=clytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.