(Topic ID: 199621)

PSA: Come on people... Down with Napatha, up with Novus 2!

By Otaku

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1494 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_4815 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4813 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4784 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4802 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4804 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4805 (resized).JPG
    gMCsxdX.gif
    phantasm end.gif
    pZ79r_s-200x150.gif
    DSCN5546 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1099 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0969 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    article-0-1B5655F8000005DC-797_634x340 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Each particular cleaning product has a specific purpose. It sounds like you are not using them correctly.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Might as well finish this off. Brings me back to my prior point, it's why I left initially, cranky outspoken bastards.

Not quite. You posted a PSA and proclaimed that your way is the best way to clean playfields and everybody else was wrong. You can't post a tutorial thread that is full of incorrect things and not expect those things to be pointed out and refuted.

Unfortunately, you do not yet have the experience to write a tutorial like this (since it was apparent that you are not using the cleaning products correctly), and all you will do is confuse other people who are trying to learn about the proper way to clean a playfield.

That's part of the reason why people are not accepting of the topic you posted here. Not because they are "cranky" or "grumpy".

If you want to ask people what cleaning products they use for what things, you are perfectly welcome to ask--nobody is going to call you out for asking a question.

The problem is that you acted like you were the self-appointed outspoken fountain of all knowledge when it came to cleaning playfields. While I can appreciate you want to share what you have learned with others, people who have the experience simply know that what you are saying is incorrect, and since you said it in a way that looks down upon the generally accepted techniques and procedures coming from more experienced individuals, it tends to rub people the wrong way.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

ForceFlow, you're a nice dude, but if you think people actually only use Novus for plastics look around and search on your own forum. It's all over the place for cleaning playfields.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything of the kind. That's something else I've noticed you do a few times that has upset people.

1 month later
    #119 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverWings:

NAPTHA is getting confused here with NAPATHA.
    NAPATHA is a highly combustible and dangerous mixture of grape juice phenol-acid compounds derived from Chardonnay, Pino Noir, and Sauvignon Blanc varieties, and discovered in NAPA California. Notable compounds include Trimethyltryptamine, Himethoxy-methylamphetamine and Aeruginascin (THA) hence the pseudonym NAPA-THA. This is one of the world's most hallucinogenic mixtures known to man. A single drop on exposed skin will cause a person to stay awake for 47 days straight, and while under NAPA-THA's influence, will induce uncontrollable howling, "inversia" (seeing the world upside down), extreme euphoria, altitude sensitivity and outbursts of extreme artistic talent. Effects on pinball playfields are unknown.
    NAPTHA is a common household distillate and is safe to use as a mild cleaner on pinball playfields.

*Naphtha

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2 months later
    #121 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

literally thousands use Novus 2 to clean playfields and thousands of others than me have made the "so what if it's not plastics, it works" argument, both here and many other places. It's great for playfields and doesn't harm them, and the facts are proven everywhere.

Novus 2 is a polish, not a cleaner. Polishes are abrasive. If you keep using it as a cleaner over and over again, you're going to wear right through the topcoat and expose the paint.

Polishes work by wearing down a surface to the lowest point where the scratches or wear marks are.

Novus 1 can be used for cleaning in most cases, although for most cleaning products, it's better to spray it on a cloth or paper towel, rather than the playfield surface itself, so as to avoid having it soak in an potentially cause planking.

2 months later
    #132 6 years ago

The swirl marks are *within* the topcoat. It's not something that can be cleaned off.

Magic erasers will strip the topcoat and expose the paint.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Topcoat on an em?

Yes, a topcoat of some sort--not a clear coat, though.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Do some have a factory varathane or clear lacquer?

Basically, yes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/psa-come-on-people-down-with-napatha-up-with-novus-2?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.