(Topic ID: 199621)

PSA: Come on people... Down with Napatha, up with Novus 2!

By Otaku

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1494 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_4815 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4813 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4784 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4802 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4804 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4805 (resized).JPG
    gMCsxdX.gif
    phantasm end.gif
    pZ79r_s-200x150.gif
    DSCN5546 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1099 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0969 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    article-0-1B5655F8000005DC-797_634x340 (resized).jpg
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Off topic but Would novus 2 work to make black car plastics look black again from wax? The area is under the doors.

You need back to black like this stuff.

http://mycarneedsthis.com/todays-best-plastic-restorers-for-automotive-detailing/

#53 6 years ago

I like naphtha it does not dull the old clear it just takes all little extra effort

IMG_1099 (resized).JPGIMG_1099 (resized).JPG

#54 6 years ago

It seems like you are doing that thing where you make an "edgy" or "rad" (what do the kids say?) thread and then hope to get fallout(??) and then complain or act shocked when you get fallout.

On topic, old dirty EM's like Novus 2. New games like a microfiber towel. I agree naptha stinks and I wouldn't use it. Novus 2 may be toxic but doesn't seem to put off fumes/gases that immediately hit the air returns in my house and poison everyone (I have to work on games inside).

Happy Friday! Cheers to your health!

#55 6 years ago

Im really carefull when I spray 2pac but I must admit I am fairly careless around naphtha and novus (and gasoline, and paint, and solvents etc)...I should be more careful

#56 6 years ago

So if you're ever out of naphtha and the local Walmart or Depot doesn't stock it, don't be shy and break out the alcohol. But if you do take the next step and pull out a power sander, don't get overconfident because it just cut your workday in half. Pay attention or it will end up like mine.

And if you do screw up, like I did there are still plenty of days in the week to fix it. Baby steps.

DSCN5546 (resized).JPGDSCN5546 (resized).JPG

#57 6 years ago

Haha Vid is just lurking and laughing his ass off.

#58 6 years ago

Someone just posted on naphtha last night, linking the msds— too lazy to look at it again or link it but it clearly stated no known health effects from inhalation unless to prolonged exposure. Getting it on your skin - I can’t remember that part but usually similar stuff just dries out your skin quickly. Quickly wiping a surface down with the product, not seeing a major health issue...

#59 6 years ago

Dude, years ago I ate asbestos for lunch and benzene quenched my sthirst. And I'm still here.

#60 6 years ago

Good grief. Novus 2 is a rubbing compound and has no business on a pinball playfield.

#61 6 years ago

We have already established that clearcoat is a plastic, so why not novus 2?

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

Super Lube in the Eject Hole

I only use super lube for one thing......

#63 6 years ago

No follow up from the OP, was this just a troll thread?

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yes. I don't understand it, OP used to be a good dude.

#65 6 years ago

I knew a guy that buys and sells lots of machines, often doing varying degrees of shop out in between. He once showed me how easy it is to clean up a dirty playfield, and took liberal amounts of Novus 2 with 2000 grit sandpaper to a MB playfield to demonstrate. Seemed to me like a sure way to wear down the clearcoat, but it certainly cleaned up the dirt and some of the ball swirls. His top end games always looked nice when he was finished with them, but a I always questioned that cleaning technique.

My games are HUO and don't ever get real dirty, but I used to use Novus 2 (without the sandpaper!) and then wax when they needed a little shine. Since reading Vid's thread, I now use a little Naptha (and Novus 1) for these light cleanings and wipe downs. Works great. Always finish with a couple coats of Carnuba. My playfieds have always looked pretty damn nice.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I don't think he was trolling, he's a good dude

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from heni1977:

I only use super lube for one thing......

The eject hole, right?

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Quoted from radium:

I'm a busy guy. I try not to get over-involved these days, either. I get too sucked in and make mistakes by just not giving a damn. So now I try to not give a damn by not getting involved rather than by getting involved and then not giving a damn.

I still stand by my suggestion. I knew from the first ForceFlow post that this was going downhill (even though half the community uses Novus 2 on playfields, go figure, but not in this thread apparently!), so I really didn't feel inclined to want to come back and read the fallout so I delayed it for a while as I went about my days.

Also, I never said about clearing playfields. I don't clear playfields nor do I ever intend to so I mean whatever works for that works. I didn't say "Naphtha had no place in pinball" I just said "Naphtha is a terrible cleaner for any real dirt and smells bad/is bad for you".

I made this thread in response to this quote on another thread asking for actual advice:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-used-novus-how-long-before-i-can-wax

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This. The naphtha removes everything and does not harm paint or clear pat, and evaporates super fast. Wear a mask though

I think *I* initially made a mistake and thought when he said "everything" he meant dirt (but in a re-read I realize he was rather clearly referring to leftover Novus and other cleaners, I guess, which is my mistake), but nonetheless still too many people ACTUALLY say what I thought he said (removes dirt well, which isn't true) and I still feel it needs an explanation on how great Novus 2 is and how bad and dangerous Naphtha is. Even in other guides (like Vid's), I'm fairly certain I remember it saying you should really wear a mask. It's powerful stuff. And in my experience, if it doesn't do shit (*for cleaning playfields - yes clear-coat prep etc. etc. whatever), so why use powerful/harmful stuff especially if it gives no results? Meanwhile Novus 2 is much less harmful and does so much more. Seemed like a terribly invalid aand backwards compromise to me.

One of these days some old timer's advice for cleaning out dirt is gonna result in some newbie dousing a rag with naphtha because he's not getting the results he wants out of it, and then god knows what happens next. I think suggesting this substance to anybody let alone newbies is a very flawed suggestion even if it did work great! There are lot more healthy and safe products out there to start with, let alone ones that actually work good. Like Novus 2. On playfields.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don't think he was trolling, he's a good dude

Thank you. I appreciate that.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

The eject hole, right?

Yeah Sure!!! Lmao!

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

The eject hole, right?

I've heard about people using bleach for this.

#72 6 years ago

Also I used GIFs as do some other <40 year old members who actually have experience with them around here to try and lighten the tone but clearly people are still cranky LOL

EDIT: Might as well finish this off. Brings me back to my prior point, it's why I left initially, cranky outspoken bastards. This place has a lot of great people with great advice through both the EM and solid-state communities but they're mostly the silent majority. The loud bunch that dominates the site are a bunch of good ol' boys with nothing better to do with their time than "let's slam some pabst and shitpost and cause drama on Pinside". And it's unfortunate. Because it's a great modern platform (I've never seen something entirely from scratch by a few small developers on this scale before, it's a great design, especially in a community filled with too many pure-HTML websites that haven't been updated since '99, thank god for seeing some CSS around here - let alone an amazing platform that I haven't even seen outside of pinball much) with a great underlying knowledgable partial-community, but the most outdated unfortunate part of it is that loud group of people that like to shit all over the forums and be disrespectful and essentially cover up the nice bunch who just want to contribute to the site. And they're allowed to rein free for whatever reason. Because they're too loud to quietly accept punishment on behalf of the staff and the staff is scared of that, I guess.

I realized that since I have that really nice core group of users already in my contacts and I can just talk to them outside of the site, there's no real point in staying here because it's a hellhole, so I left. And I'm still pretty much gone from the site. I don't come here often right now and before I left entirely (except I didn't de-activate as that's a stupid attention grab with no purpose, if you can't control yourself enough to not log into the site for 30 days you should be doing a lot more re-evaluating of your life than just de-activating a profile to force you out, that's insane), I came back from not even having logged in since May to post about the York show. I chimed in now to hopefully offer some good advice as Novus 2 is a great product for playfields and even I learned that by half the pinball community using it for that, I didn't pull it out of my ass, but of course somebody chimes in with a tiny "NOVUS IS ONLY FOR PLASTICS!!!!!!!1111111111 READ THE BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" irrelevant opinion that really nobody gives a shit about because they totally disregard that in their day to day life and it gets bandwagoned (even though those people probably use it on their beloved playfields themselves and just like to cause trouble) and the whole thread goes downhill. ForceFlow, you're a nice dude, but if you think people actually only use Novus for plastics look around and search on your own forum. It's all over the place for cleaning playfields. The 50 upvotes you got were not because people agreed but because this site bandwagons the hell out of everything.

You guys are very welcome to rot in your filth if you please and thankfully many people here have enough of a brain to not get over-involved in Pinside: I've talked to countless people at shows and elsewhere who share in the sentiment that the only reason to Pinside is to obtain information for fixing their games and they share no desire in participating further because this place is a mess. Many of them don't even participate at all because they're so off-put by the community of this site. And that's the truth - so maybe the staff will take that to heart. At least 30-40 people I've talked to at shows of all places told me this same story. So, hopefully one day this place changes. And then it'll be a good community. Too many keyboard warriors. There are so many kind people at shows and whatnot and then people get on the internet and it somehow changes. If the community was more like it is as shows, helpful and kind, and less dramatic, political, and trashy (and probably less drunk and disgusting), it'd be less of a shithole.

Godspeed. You'll need it. This place needs a purge, and it needs it bad.

I'll probably get somebody upsetti over this (the truth) so...

#73 6 years ago

pZ79r_s-200x150.gifpZ79r_s-200x150.gif

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Also I used GIFs as do some other <40 year old members who actually have experience with them around here to try and lighten the tone but clearly people are still cranky LOL

Stop digging.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I've heard about people using bleach for this.

If you use novus instead, stick to novus 1....trust me!!

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Haha Vid is just lurking and laughing his ass off.

phantasm end.gifphantasm end.gif

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

You guys are very welcome to rot in your filth if you please and thankfully many people here have enough of a brain to not get over-involved in Pinside

Nice guy!! Start a smart ass thread that half insults people and act shocked when you get blowback...then call everybody names and leave. I agree, there are some dicks on the internet, and pinside can be negative, but you really bring it on yourself with your own tone. Stop with the "old guys are all wrong" shtick. As an old guy myself, it's tiring...though everything is when you are old...so. What was I talking about?

And I AGREE with you on your actual topic!

#78 6 years ago

Can I get some $ to fix a leaky basement? Too soon?

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Can I get some $ to fix a leaky basement? Too soon?

If you were in need, I would help you

#80 6 years ago

Behave sump pump boy...

#81 6 years ago

If anyone wants to clean their play fields with liquid sandpaper (because that's what Novus is), that's totally their prerogative. It's your game and you can treat it however you want.

My concern is that newbies will find this thread wanting to learn how to clean their game and end up hurting their machines because of bad information. Remember, just because half of Pinside cleans their play fields with Novus, doesn't mean it's the best method.

gMCsxdX.gifgMCsxdX.gif

#82 6 years ago

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and many would like to tell others how they should do things without taking into account that each game will not require the same treatment to get that playfield to sparkle.

From alcohol to liquid sandpaper to real sandpaper, I've used them all. And most people that come over compliment me on how even the 70 year old playfields look and play remarkable. But I refuse to tell somebody what they should use or not use unless they ask me. I use what works for me.

#83 6 years ago

I thought you were leaving Pinside?

Why did you come back? You haven't seemed to learn anything while you were gone, like no one likes a smart ass, or your long-winded "help" posts that put people down aren't going to get you showered with likes.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

If anyone wants to clean their play fields with liquid sandpaper (because that's what Novus is), that's totally their prerogative. It's your game and you can treat it however you want.
    My concern is that newbies will find this thread wanting to learn how to clean their game and end up hurting their machines because of bad information. Remember, just because half of Pinside cleans their play fields with Novus, doesn't mean it's the best method.

So is auto polish... yet we use "liquid sandpaper" all the time on our cars that cost multiples more than our pins and way thinner clear coats.

To worry about removing finish with novus on a modern game... you better have a long time and an overly aggressive powered tool. Rags and novus2 are not going to remove a whole finish.

#85 6 years ago

Balls going over a playfield are going to leave damage over time. Novus 2 or even 3 won't make much of a difference unless using a power buffer. I'm a firm believer in cp100 for cleaning & waxing.

#86 6 years ago

Otaku, you come on stronger than a jetliner crashing into a mountain top with your opening post and then you wait for a response. Then you are surprised when you get a number of extreme responses back but really it was you who -set the tone-.

You're a good guy from what I've read and really I think most people are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, because, being a young man, you may have a few things to still learn about human interaction/diplomacy etc. Pinside can be as you describe sometimes but please realize that you played your part in this one. Anyway, hope you don't think this is too negative for you but just trying to say it as I see it. Stay positive, take it down a notch (or two) and it will work out - pinside and otherwise.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So is auto polish... yet we use "liquid sandpaper" all the time on our cars that cost multiples more than our pins and way thinner clear coats.
    To worry about removing finish with novus on a modern game... you better have a long time and an overly aggressive powered tool. Rags and novus2 are not going to remove a whole finish.

You did also note that the start of this thread specifically mentions EMs and 60s-70s machines as well right? Not a heck of a lot of clear on those....not saying it good/bad, just saying I'm sure it's a lot easier to go too far there than the "modern" machines you mention.

Only mentioning it solely because that's what OP seemed to be discussing more so.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

You did also note that the start of this thread specifically mentions EMs and 60s-70s machines as well right? Not a heck of a lot of clear on those....not saying it good/bad, just saying I'm sure it's a lot easier to go too far there than the "modern" machines you mention.
    Only mentioning it solely because that's what OP seemed to be discussing more so.

In fairness, farther down I see he mentions newer machines a bit as well....

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

EMs if well maintained over the years don't take much work.

But most that you buy now, and I'm sure many would agree, have not run in years and not always stored in ideal conditions. Many with no playfield glass as it was taken off for another machine. And the playfields can be filthy with years of ground in dirt.

So, you end up with a lot of variables in what's the best way to tackle each individual machine. Worst case is somebody applied a varnish or other yellowing topcoat over a dirty playfield many years ago which is what I was up against on the latest machine. It wasn't pretty. But I knew underneath all that it was.

At this point you have to decide how much work you want to do and what tools, cleaners, or anything at your disposal will get the job done. Sometimes the original topcoat will be sacrificed as well, but want to keep as much paint as possible so it can be touched up and new topcoat applied. Another game saved from the scrapheap and on to the next one.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Well... zero clear actually More like varnish. In the decades prior to pinside... I never came across anyone who took paint off with Novus on a playfield. The concerns have been "oh crap, n3 sure is more gritty than I thought!", and "magic eraser went too far...".

We've had to be worried about water based products planking playfields far far more than anyone has had to be worried about Novus2 being too aggressive for playfield finishes.

This whole thing is just a tempest in a teapot because some people have been preaching extremes. Truth is "use the least aggressive method necessary, and move up if your prior effort didn't cut it". Some instead try to talk in binary... and that is great if you want to incite contrary responses.. or troll forums

#91 6 years ago

The effects of Basement mold on a young human brain; Oh well.

#92 6 years ago

I don’t know is novus is the best cleaner — but otaku is right that a lot of people DO use it, and personally if I use it 4 or 5 times a year I don’t think my games are gonna be devoid of clearcoat and down to barewood.. it just isn’t abrasive enough, esp with a little firm hand pressure.

Regarding naphtha being so dangerous to your health, read the msds again— it states No long term damage from inhalation just possible short term nervous system symptoms unless you have prolonged/long term exposure. Same for skin contact — dermatitis ie dry skin, same result as running alcohol . Sure if you would rather avoid possible dizziness or a sore throat, wear a mask better to be safe. But as for the great harm and danger this chemical poses, I don’t see it.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

We have already established that clearcoat is a plastic, so why not novus 2?

Novus 2 "cleans" plastic by finely scratching the crap out of it smoothing out all the small scratches in the process. If that plastic was a layer covering the playfield, you wouldn't want it scratched away.

#94 6 years ago

People polish, sand, scratch clearcoat all the time. So novus should be fine in some situations

Anyways, so what is the preferred "cleaner" if napatha and novus are not the recommended cleaner

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

People polish, sand, scratch clearcoat all the time. So novus should be fine in some situations
    Anyways, so what is the preferred "cleaner" if napatha and novus are not the recommended cleaner

Simple green for modern games maybe

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I don’t know is novus is the best cleaner — but otaku is right that a lot of people DO use it, and personally if I use it 4 or 5 times a year I don’t think my games are gonna be devoid of clearcoat and down to barewood.. it just isn’t abrasive enough, esp with a little firm hand pressure.
    Regarding naphtha being so dangerous to your health, read the msds again— it states No long term damage from inhalation just possible short term nervous system symptoms unless you have prolonged/long term exposure. Same for skin contact — dermatitis ie dry skin, same result as running alcohol . Sure if you would rather avoid possible dizziness or a sore throat, wear a mask better to be safe. But as for the great harm and danger this chemical poses, I don’t see it.

Novus 5 times every year

That is the only part in your statement that made me double take. If you used abrasive novus on an older machine and owned it 20 years, you would have lightly sanded it 100 times! Probably wouldn't have much left by then. The lightest of sanding 100 times on even a heavy clearcoat honestly still sounds like a LOT to me, but maybe not; I don't know since I have never done that.

I'm not saying I've never used magic eraser or Novus 2; I have, and it helped knock those spots on nasty playfields down when other items couldn't...but, I have also seen color on my rag (obviously especially with Melamine) when using on older machines.

I agree with the comments about every case is different, start with lightest and be more agressive as needed, etc. There is no cold hard answer for every machine type in every possible condition.

As far as the ENTIRE original point of this particular thread goes......well.....it has ABSOLUTELY NONE!

This threads point was telling people to use N2 over naphtha; which makes no sense what so ever since they are used for 2 different things.

Multiple times people already mentioned this, but it's like it didn't take for "some".
    Before this thread, I never heard anybody make the statement about how bad naphtha was at removing dirt.

Simple...
    Novus is an abrasive product that knocks down a small layer of the substrate (the use of this over many other methods wasn't the OPs topic).

VM & P Naphtha is a solvent (typically used in very small quantities) for removing various adhesives and as a quick wipe down to degrease prior to waxing/painting/clearing. I.E. NOT something slathered all over a machine to clean that dirt off with!

Safety/health hazard issues...well, certainly; most all chemicals have some. Solvent fumes aren't good! Dried compund dust inhaled is certainly not GOOD for you either. All work requires common sense and proper precautions and really shouldn't need explanation (unless of course a thread is specifically started asking, but then I would just answer with check MSDS). The comments about using indoors, what if someone sparked a game next to me, etc are just plain moronic to me. If it's cold in my garage, I wouldn't just take a part into my basement and spraypaint it against my furnace then complain I blew up....thats just Darwinian evolution at work.

Best product for the application and best safety practices. That simple

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Novus 5 times every year

Ok well to be honest that’s an exaggeration - just throwing a number, but I don’t own any EMs - just talking about more modern games.

#98 6 years ago

If someone can tell me another cleaner that works as good as naptha, doesn't harm playfield paint/clear and evaporates leaving little to no surface contamination after use, I'm all ears...

#99 6 years ago

Are people using Novus THAT often on their games?! That is insane. It will take a while, but eventually you're going to start losing paint, even on a DiamondPlate. Bring out the repro PFs I guess.

#100 6 years ago

What IS the best cleaner to use on a playfield? One that hasn't been sitting around for so long? I think Vid always said to vacumn the dust/particles and then just wax it.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/psa-come-on-people-down-with-napatha-up-with-novus-2/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.