Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by billsfanmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

lolli side.JPG
2015-03-08 20.30.34.jpg
20150206_230617.jpg
20150206_230813.jpg
X-files cabinet.jpg
2015-01-28 14.54.17.jpg
2015-01-28 15.06.50.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.49.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.34.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.41.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.46.jpg
krycek.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from robin:

They seem to be getting more rare, especially ones that don't have playfield damage in front of the cabinet.

When X-Files came out games in the field started to wear very badly in front of the cabinet due to air balls caused by the strong magnet under the playfield actually damaging the wood. Sega upon request supplied owners one of two free kits to cover up the damage and prevent future damage. Kit one was supplied for later production games (which already had less powerful magnets under the playfield than earlier games) and included a thin metal plate (made out of material similar to the plates at the entrances of plastic ramps) with self-adhesive on one side so it would stick to the playfield, and a clear playfield plastic piece to mount above the metal plate to posts across the area directly in front of the cabinet (to prevent air balls in that area). Kit two included both parts from kit one plus a new rom to lower the magnet force on early production games (you were requested to return the original rom).

My buddy and I bought X-Files NIB at a close-out price of $2195 each in 1997. Even though we got them just a week apart, my buddy's game was early production (with the stronger magnet) while mine was later production. Neither of us has ever installed the cover-up kit on our games. Keeping the playfield waxed on a HUO game with the later production magnet setting has resulted in no visible wear whatsoever. And the game looks so much better with the original playfield unobstructed. My buddy went underneath his X-Files playfield and backed the magnet out a few turns (which lessened the magnetic force topside) and he has had no wear issues with his HUO game as well.

Both of our games are in great shape, with no cabinet wear and no operating issues. The game is tough because the ramp shots are very tight. Some but not all X-Files I've seen allow making the right ramp off a backhand from the right flipper, which makes it a bit easier, as repeatedly making ramp shots is the key to progressing through the various modes.

1 week later
#88 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

When X-files came out games in the field started to wear very badly in front of the cabinet due to air balls caused by the strong magnet under the playfield actually damaging the wood. Sega upon request supplied owners free kits to cover up the damage and prevent future damage. Kits included a thin metal plate (made out of material similar to the plates at the entrances of plastic ramps) with self-adhesive on one side so it would stick to the playfield, and a clear playfield plastic piece to mount above the metal plate to posts across the area directly in front of the cabinet (to prevent air balls in that area).

Quoted from Wolfanoz:

So everything looks pretty good playfield wise.

Your playfield looks like it has the bare wood wear spot right in front of the cabinet (although I have seen much worse). And you don't have the thin metal plate covering up the spot (and preventing further wear in that area). You do have the clear plastic piece from the kit (clearly visible in one of your pictures), which is supposed to prevent damage to the file cabinet from airballs.

X-files cabinet.jpg
1 month later
#136 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I still have a hard time finding anything to dislike.

I purchased my X-Files NIB in 1997. From day one the ramp shots were very tight and the slingshots loved to eject the ball to the side outlanes. I still like the game, but there are things to dislike about it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wood Dale, IL
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
£ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 1,099.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside