Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by billsfanmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

lolli side.JPG
2015-03-08 20.30.34.jpg
20150206_230617.jpg
20150206_230813.jpg
X-files cabinet.jpg
2015-01-28 14.54.17.jpg
2015-01-28 15.06.50.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.49.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.34.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.41.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.46.jpg
krycek.jpg

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Never understood people spending time commenting on games they don't like? Just browse by and find some topic that you do enjoy and comment there, no? Life's too short to tell everyone how you don't like stuff...
BTW, we've had our X-files for over 3 years here and it's not going anywhere.

Everyone has a top 10 favorites, but they also have a top 5 or 10 most hated as well. There are both sides to that spectrum.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Never understood people spending time commenting on games they don't like? Just browse by and find some topic that you do enjoy and comment there, no? Life's too short to tell everyone how you don't like stuff...
BTW, we've had our X-files for over 3 years here and it's not going anywhere.

There's a time and place. Posts about opinions are one thing, posts where someone is excited about a new buy is not the place for unsolicited negativity.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There's a time and place. Posts about opinions are one thing, posts where someone is excited about a new buy is not the place for unsolicited negativity.

I agree. My negative past experience with the game should have never been brought up.

I do apologize.

Congrats to the OP with his new game!

#54 5 years ago

Fun game, love the orbits!

#55 5 years ago

If the ramp entrances were juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little bit wider and some better speaker(s) were installed, this game is not THAT bad.

What drove me nuts were the random phantom filing cabinet hits and fixing it. Man, I think I still have areas on my head where hair has to go back I went so deep pulling it out...

I did genuinely love this game, but man, fixing that phantom hit crap made me sell it. Would love to see one again someday.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

If you're looking for advice on what pins to buy and which ones are turds, you're about 15 ~20 years too late.
Some listened to me, some didn't.
Look at my collection for some ideas and start taking out loans for nice originals or for the possible refakes.

Sorry Mike but a lot of those B/W's games that are deemed great by you and most pinsiders are not great to me at all so its all personal preference. I've owned all of those before and they were fun but became boring real fast, seemed a little to easy and just didn't justify the large price tag. I had as much fun with SST as I did with MM. I liked my Congo and JM just as much and in fact more so than CV,MB or SS all of which are triple the cost. I get what your saying because I did listen to the when I first started collecting, that was a mistake.

#57 5 years ago

More expen$ive does not always equal to more fun and worth your money.

See BSD as an example - mid 2000's and WAY more fun than some of the A-listers.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Sorry Mike but a lot of those B/W's games that are deemed great by you and most pinsiders are not great to me at all so its all personal preference. I've owned all of those before and they were fun but became boring real fast, seemed a little to easy and just didn't justify the large price tag. I had as much fun with SST as I did with MM. I liked my Congo and JM just as much and in fact more so than CV,MB or SS all of which are triple the cost. I get what your saying because I did listen to the when I first started collecting, that was a mistake.

That actually was my sarcastic point.

"Personal preference" will always equal to opinions and hype.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I agree, So i started a thread where we can vent on our most hated games.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

That actually was my sarcastic point.
"Personal preference" will always equal to opinions and hype.

Yes. by the way you have an amazing collection.

#61 5 years ago

They just announced they are looking into revamping a new run of the show, with everyone signing up, David has been the most vocal on it as well, so looks like it is a lock to be coming back soon!

Uber pumped!

#62 5 years ago

I haven't played an X Files, but I love the show. I just started watching the series again on Netflix. In fact I'm watching as I type.

#63 5 years ago

Show still holds up great other than the tech. Can't wait to see what they do with modern tech.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

I'll prob end up getting Invisiglass with time. It is a project pin really, may try to find new decals as well and redo the cab.

I would also strongly recommend to check out the DMD glare Eliminator, sold by CometPinball. JUst 16 bucks and it REALLY helps with the glare. And much cheaper than a invisiglass also

http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

#65 5 years ago

Does Neo ever stop being a hater? Congrats, machine looks cool. Hope to play one some day to see how HORRIBLY BAD it supposedly is to one person....enjoy.

#66 5 years ago

What neo wants neo gets. A line from his favourite game

#67 5 years ago

Here's a glare guard for half the price:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3301

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Does Neo ever stop being a hater? Congrats, machine looks cool. Hope to play one some day to see how HORRIBLY BAD it supposedly is to one person....enjoy.

Yup, on games that are good, i'm all about complimenting something when it deserves it. But i'm also equally opinionated when I dislike something as well.

#69 5 years ago

Awesome. Thanks man.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yup, on games that are good, i'm all about complimenting something when it deserves it. But i'm also equally opinionated when I dislike something as well.

yes, we all are entitled to our opinions. its why playing orbitor is like playing with a turd in a toilet bowl.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Is this the machine? ebay.com link ยป The X Files

Yes, that was it. It's a project machine for sure but I was looking for one anyway. It apparently plays good. Talked to him on the phone but we'll see. Nothing that can't be fixed or replaced. Finding the cab decals for the game may be another adventure as they seem to be unobtainable looking on the web.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Yes, that was it. It's a project machine for sure but I was looking for one anyway. It apparently plays good. Talked to him on the phone but we'll see. Nothing that can't be fixed or replaced. Finding the cab decals for the game may be another adventure as they seem to be unobtainable looking on the web.

5 miles from me

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

yes, we all are entitled to our opinions. its why playing orbitor is like playing with a turd in a toilet bowl.

and I can understand why you dislike it. I like it because I have an appreciation for games that are unique and original. Sometimes they arn't the greatest in the rules department. But with orbitors case, it's so original, and so unique, it will always have a place in my collection because I think it's an engineering marvel. but I understand why some don't like it. Same with CV. It's my favorite, but I understand the ones that don't like it. Doesn't effect how I feel about the game.

#74 5 years ago

Holy crap, that's a good price. Tempted to buy some more.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

5 miles from me

Looked like it came out of a storage unit that wasn't owned up on rental wise from the pics. Is that a storage unit area?

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Looked like it came out of a storage unit that wasn't owned up on rental wise from the pics. Is that a storage unit area?

Yes it is a storage area, at the corner of State Road 7 (441) and Okeechobee Blvd.

#77 5 years ago

In an unexpected turn, it appears I will be getting one too now!

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

It was in a vendors warehouse, all heavily routed games too.

#79 5 years ago

Oh well, they need some TLC is all. Worth the effort for the price.

#80 5 years ago

By the way, I installed Pinball Pro speakers in this (and all my Sega games in fact). This is the machine it made the biggest difference in. HUGE improvement, and the speech is actually understandable now too!

You will need to do a little modifying to get the second speaker in (the plate there needs a little work), but so worth it. The game sounds SO much better.

#81 5 years ago

I am loving this machine, played nothing but since getting it. Figured I'd get to the wizard mode the day I got it, up to 5 modes if my best so far. Great use of the orbits opening up on some shots and feeding to the pops and lane changers on others, SUPERB theme implementation, although I would have liked more main story art as opposed to so many faces from the "monster" one off episodes. Again, I saw these back in the day, and again now in the last two months or rewatching, and my wife and I were having a hard time with some of the art figuring it out.

I'm going to make some new custom plastics made I think for it, not all, as I love the bee stuff in the middle, but the slings for sure.

Quoted from twitami:

By the way, I installed Pinball Pro speakers in this (and all my Sega games in fact). This is the machine it made the biggest difference in. HUGE improvement, and the speech is actually understandable now too!
You will need to do a little modifying to get the second speaker in (the plate there needs a little work), but so worth it. The game sounds SO much better.

With or without the added CPU components?

#82 5 years ago

So everything looks pretty good playfield wise.... the file cab is intact although theres a bit of a crack in the middle in the bottom file drawer.... plan on bondoing that and wire meshing it and repainting the drawer so it'll last for the entire life of the game.... Plays great. Flipper bats need an update as they're the originals and filthy. The flippers play fine however and look newer like they were replaced at some point. Some of the lights dont work even if I switch them out (file cabinet, left shot lane indicator).

2015-01-28 14.59.34.jpg 2015-01-28 14.59.41.jpg 2015-01-28 14.59.46.jpg 2015-01-28 14.59.49.jpg 2015-01-28 15.06.50.jpg
#83 5 years ago

Also not sure why these connections are removed, looks like it was connected to volume control at one point? Not sure if I should reattach them or not. There's no volume control on the internal power unit there behind the shot. There's also one speaker in the back box on the right. That's it, not sure if there are two although there are two grills.

2015-01-28 14.54.17.jpg
#84 5 years ago

I'd probably buy a set of custom sling plastics if you came up with a nice design. make an extra set and I'd be glad to contribute. The originals are kind of bland.

#85 5 years ago

I am looking for an online manual for X-Files... I cannot find one? Can anybody through me a bone... errr I mean a link..

#86 5 years ago

I need one myself. Some of the target banks on the left dont work so need replacements, part #'s.

And thanks tp, I may consider that actually. I wouldn't mind seeing more Cancer Man on the playfield across from Krycek maybe. Deep Throat and Agent X were meh choices.

#87 5 years ago

Sega's only have one speaker in the backbox . Only way to add a speaker is to put it in line with the other one. Which still gives you mono. Sound board doesn't have the other speaker side populated so there is no way to make it stereo. Even if you populate the board, the roms won't support it.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

When X-files came out games in the field started to wear very badly in front of the cabinet due to air balls caused by the strong magnet under the playfield actually damaging the wood. Sega upon request supplied owners free kits to cover up the damage and prevent future damage. Kits included a thin metal plate (made out of material similar to the plates at the entrances of plastic ramps) with self-adhesive on one side so it would stick to the playfield, and a clear playfield plastic piece to mount above the metal plate to posts across the area directly in front of the cabinet (to prevent air balls in that area).

Quoted from Wolfanoz:

So everything looks pretty good playfield wise.

Your playfield looks like it has the bare wood wear spot right in front of the cabinet (although I have seen much worse). And you don't have the thin metal plate covering up the spot (and preventing further wear in that area). You do have the clear plastic piece from the kit (clearly visible in one of your pictures), which is supposed to prevent damage to the file cabinet from airballs.

X-files cabinet.jpg
#89 5 years ago

But it still sounds WAY better with two good speakers in there. Mine sounds 100% better. People that played it before even comment on how they can hear so much more now.

#90 5 years ago

it does sound better, but you need to put an L pad in, so you can put more of the sound down into the cabinet. Then you get some BOOM out of the sound. I did it to my SST. Went from sounding high pitched and screechy, to a deep rumble that would shake the floor when the ships flew past.

#91 5 years ago

The best sound mod for the 1 speaker Sega's can be found here:

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/index.html

Please note, the speaker suggestion is crap. I did this to both my SWT and X-files. Very happy with the results. I do need to play around with the sub a bit more to get some more boom - I should throw an L-pad into the mix as well.

If there are some critical pages from the manual, I'd be happy to scan a few, just PM me and remember, it's just me and a basic home scanner, so we won't scale to well to huge requests, but I'm happy to try.

The rubbery part of the file cabinet is pretty much just an overlay to the metal, so it seems (to me) an appropriate material for balls to bounce off of. Perhaps a mold could be made and them produced in silicon or other cheap bouncy material....?

Always happy to help out fellow x-files owners!

~Glenn

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Sound board doesn't have the other speaker side populated so there is no way to make it stereo. Even if you populate the board, the roms won't support it.

Wrong. There is stereo sound just not being implemented so once you populate the board and add the speaker you hear it.

Same goes for SST.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Wrong. There is stereo sound just not being implemented so once you populate the board and add the speaker you hear it.
Same goes for SST.

I was told not to bother, because the software doesn't use it, it's just duel mono. No separate sounds on either channel. If it's not programmed in the roms to go stereo. Only ones that had true stereo was DE.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Your playfield looks like it has the bare wood wear spot right in front of the cabinet (although I have seen much worse). And you don't have the thin metal plate covering up the spot (and preventing further wear in that area). You do have the clear plastic piece from the kit (clearly visible in one of your pictures), which is supposed to prevent damage to the file cabinet from airballs.

X-files cabinet.jpg 34 KB

I have mylar coming from Marco to cover up the X area as it's starting to lift and I took the mylar off Scully and Mulder (ugh, mistake that was) as it was filthy and had holes in it. Some of the art came up on Mulder and the bottom right hand corner of the X with it so I had to do some surgery with super glue and Sharpie oil paint pens. Game was a project / players game anyway so it is what it is.

I should have enough left over to cover that spot near the cab / magnet with the mylar and call it a day.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

I am looking for an online manual for X-files... I cannot find one? Can anybody through me a bone... errr I mean a link..

I just bought one from Marco. Got tired of looking on Google. Seems to be non existent.

#97 5 years ago

congrats on finally getting it in the gameroom! i will have to come play it

#98 5 years ago

I think this game is awesome, I'm loving nearly everything about it. I wish super pops was worth more, but I'm finding it hard to fault really anything about it.

Who do you work for!

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was told not to bother, because the software doesn't use it, it's just duel mono. No separate sounds on either channel. If it's not programmed in the roms to go stereo. Only ones that had true stereo was DE.

Funny... the sound effects go between the left and right speakers so I'm not sure why someone would say that. It's night and day.

If I can get a good stereo recording I'll upload it.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Funny... the sound effects go between the left and right speakers so I'm not sure why someone would say that. It's night and day.
If I can get a good stereo recording I'll upload it.

Has anyone made a kit for this yet - Calling Ed/GPE?

I'd do them all if there was a kit, like 20 min of work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wood Dale, IL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 75.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Pinball Vault
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.95
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside