X-files cabinet.jpg
2015-01-28 14.54.17.jpg
2015-01-28 15.06.50.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.49.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.34.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.41.jpg
2015-01-28 14.59.46.jpg
krycek.jpg

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

Got it relatively cheap. Needed a project pin anyway. Cab is a bit nicked and dinged but the game works. Anything to check and look out for for those familiar with it? Any reoccuring issues? I'm excited regardless.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Got it relatively cheap.

Hope you didn't spend over $500.

#3 9 years ago

Little more than that but oh well. Fan of the show. Fun sega table as well.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Hope you didn't spend over $500.

Yeah, right.

X-Files is really fun and one of the "best bang for your buck" games out there. That is, if the game is meticulously shopped out. If the game is fresh off route and you try and play it, it's probably not going to be much fun. This applies to quite a few games. I actually walked away from it in the arcade but had a blast with it when it played like new.

The cabinet is probably the most troublesome. Phantom hits can occur quite often.

The only real problem I have with the game is the various modes do not have a corresponding insert on the playfield. If it had this, I think the game would be much more popular.

Who cares what other people think of the game, if you like it that's all that matters - have fun with your new game!

#5 9 years ago

Congrats! I feel like I should pay more attention to these Sega games like X-Files, Twister, and Starship Troopers. It seems like they have a lot to offer that I know nothing about.

#6 9 years ago

Proud and Xfiles in the same sentence? That's something you don't see every day. If it was dirt cheap, then it should be great trade bait and you can trade it to these two guys.

#7 9 years ago

Congrats on getting one. They seem to be getting more rare, especially the ones that don't have playfield damage in front of the file cabinet. I think that's the most troublesome area. When I had mine, the previous owner (an operator) had removed the magnet assy under the magnet as wel as the accompanying opto assy. The playfield had a metal plate over that area and it all looked pretty bad underneath.

I think people are often a bit too harsh on this title. I had mine for a pretty long time and can't say it was that bad. It's a fun game, especially if you enjoy the TV show.

#8 9 years ago

Congrats on your new game!! Enjoy it.

#9 9 years ago

It is a great game! I really miss mine that I sold some years ago.
Just make it work perfect and enjoin!! Great score.

Bas

#10 9 years ago

Enjoyed it while I owned it, but it only lasted a few weeks.

#11 9 years ago

congrats on your purchase... enjoy..

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Is this the machine? ebay.com link » The X Files

I'd like to pick up his POTO but not at his price. He won't answer any messages though.

#14 9 years ago

I love my X-files. Good on you.

#15 9 years ago

Congratulations on your new game.
There is a factory metal plate you can put in front of the file cabinet to cover wear and protect the playfield.
I found that there was a lot of glare from the the back box on the playfield glass. You can either take out the backbox fluorescent tube or get Invisiglass ($$$). Then it is easier to see the upper playfield. Upgraded speakers help some also.

#16 9 years ago

Man I must admit I only played this at my local arcade when I was a kid and have never seen one since, but in my opinion this is a great game. The file cabinet has trouble and as a mater of fact the one I played as a kid had that troubls. But mate this is a good buy for 1200 or less. Shit I might even go more for a good example. Good bang for buck.

#17 9 years ago

I've wanted one of these for a while now. I'm in the middle of watching all the shows again on netflix with mmy wife, and want one even more now. I forgot how much I looooooved Scully

Nice find, don't mind the nay sayers. Space Jam is another freakin awesome Sega very few here would given any thought to.

#18 9 years ago

I was a fan of the show back in the day, and I have played this pin at a couple of different locations recently. It's fun and certainly one I would consider owning in the near future.

#20 9 years ago

Make sure the opto sensors at the file cabinet are working as they should and do some pop bumper maintenance.

#21 9 years ago

Neo you scamp I have a love hate relationship with you. I think you have a love for this game you just don't want to admit it.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

Congratulations on your new game.
There is a factory metal plate you can put in front of the file cabinet to cover wear and protect the playfield.
I found that there was a lot of glare from the the back box on the playfield glass. You can either take out the backbox fluorescent tube or get Invisiglass ($$$). Then it is easier to see the upper playfield. Upgraded speakers help some also.

Awesome and thank you! Where do you find / buy that plate by chance?

I'll prob end up getting Invisiglass with time. It is a project pin really, may try to find new decals as well and redo the cab.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've wanted one of these for a while now. I'm in the middle of watching all the shows again on netflix with mmy wife, and want one even more now. I forgot how much I looooooved Scully
Nice find, don't mind the nay sayers. Space Jam is another freakin awesome Sega very few here would given any thought to.

It was my first year of college when that show came out. Still resonates with me between the alien lore and creature features (Flukeman, Tooms, etc) It's a fun pin too, it may not be the greatest but the ramps and shots are challenging enough.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

I love my X-files. Good on you.

Now we need a straight up Lone Gunman pin. Would be awesome with all sorts of conspiracy related modes and stuff on the table (Kennedy's bullet, Project Blue Book, etc)

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Now we need a straight up Lone Gunman pin. Would be awesome with all sorts of conspiracy related modes and stuff on the table (Kennedy's bullet, Project Blue Book, etc)

Ha! That would be pretty cool. I just got got the legs, side rails, and lock down bar back from my powder coater. I did them in a galaxy purple and it turned out so rad. I'll post up pics this weekend.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Got it relatively cheap. Needed a project pin anyway. Cab is a bit nicked and dinged but the game works. Anything to check and look out for for those familiar with it? Any reoccuring issues? I'm excited regardless.

Congrats Chris! I actually did a crazy shop and major upgrade for an X-Files. I really enjoyed the machine and it should be a fun project. Check out the upgrades on this thread. The owner wanted it totally blinged so I was happy to comply

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-x-files-restore-work-and-blue-led-dmd-upgrade

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Congrats Chris! I actually did a crazy shop and major upgrade for an X-files. I really enjoyed the machine and it should be a fun project. Check out the upgrades on this thread. The owner wanted it totally blinged so I was happy to comply
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-x-files-restore-work-and-blue-led-dmd-upgrade

Wowey, Jester that's really nice!!! And thanks! I plan on doing a mock up of that I think. That looks awesome. The DMD is a nice touch in blue too.

#29 9 years ago

Thanks brother! Couldn't pass it up. I miss tinkering I guess and can't pass up a favorite show game.

#30 9 years ago

i will get one eventually. loved the show. with a13 leaving soon i need a sega now.

#31 9 years ago

if you said you were the proud owner of an orbitor one or a mousin around i would have felt bad for you

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

if you said you were the proud owner of an orbitor one or a mousin around i would have felt bad for you

Alex Krycek approves of your shenanigans.

krycek.jpgkrycek.jpg
#33 9 years ago

Would be a much better game if it actually played well but I think this particular machine plays kind of odd, no matter what condition it is in. Had a lot of fun with the VP version though, more than I had with the real table.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Winston:

Would be a much better game if it actually played well but I think this particular machine plays kind of odd, no matter what condition it is in. Had a lot of fun with the VP version though, more than I had with the real table.

The FP version, if you do Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Launch/Start, the Ball turns green for the rest of the game.

#35 9 years ago

Fun game, enjoy. This is one that grows on you as you become familiar with it. Also the game does play a little odd, exactly why I grew to like it ,cuz it's different...... @ $500 a pop whatshisname can drop them all off at my place. My neck of the woods they seem to be going for 1500to 2000 in good working order.

#36 9 years ago

I had a like new example of that title years ago. Got it out of an arcade in Hawaii. Only thing I remember giving me problems was the Flukeman kickout. The ball would sit in there until machine would do a ball search and kick it out. Would fix it and then eventually it would happen again.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

I had a like new example of that title years ago. Got it out of an arcade in Hawaii. Only thing I remember giving me problems was the Flukeman kickout. The ball would sit in there until machine would do a ball search and kick it out. Would fix it and then eventually it would happen again.

Funny. The problem I have with the kickout is firing way too hard. It blasts it over the ramp and into the shooter lane or down the right drain. I tried adjusting the coils down but it was then too low to kick out. So I ended up making a custom guide that directs the ball into the ramp.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

They seem to be getting more rare, especially ones that don't have playfield damage in front of the cabinet.

When X-Files came out games in the field started to wear very badly in front of the cabinet due to air balls caused by the strong magnet under the playfield actually damaging the wood. Sega upon request supplied owners one of two free kits to cover up the damage and prevent future damage. Kit one was supplied for later production games (which already had less powerful magnets under the playfield than earlier games) and included a thin metal plate (made out of material similar to the plates at the entrances of plastic ramps) with self-adhesive on one side so it would stick to the playfield, and a clear playfield plastic piece to mount above the metal plate to posts across the area directly in front of the cabinet (to prevent air balls in that area). Kit two included both parts from kit one plus a new rom to lower the magnet force on early production games (you were requested to return the original rom).

My buddy and I bought X-Files NIB at a close-out price of $2195 each in 1997. Even though we got them just a week apart, my buddy's game was early production (with the stronger magnet) while mine was later production. Neither of us has ever installed the cover-up kit on our games. Keeping the playfield waxed on a HUO game with the later production magnet setting has resulted in no visible wear whatsoever. And the game looks so much better with the original playfield unobstructed. My buddy went underneath his X-Files playfield and backed the magnet out a few turns (which lessened the magnetic force topside) and he has had no wear issues with his HUO game as well.

Both of our games are in great shape, with no cabinet wear and no operating issues. The game is tough because the ramp shots are very tight. Some but not all X-Files I've seen allow making the right ramp off a backhand from the right flipper, which makes it a bit easier, as repeatedly making ramp shots is the key to progressing through the various modes.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Wowey, Jester that's really nice!!! And thanks! I plan on doing a mock up of that I think. That looks awesome. The DMD is a nice touch in blue too.

Thanks for the compliments. This was a really fun one to do and upgrade. Because of the way the lighting is done Mirror blades work really well on this one too.

#40 9 years ago

magic mike can sell me one for 500

#41 9 years ago

magic mike can sell me one for 500

Too late.

I sold the one I bought for the Atlanta youth center for $650 back in May 2012.

I made a whole $150 profit and treated the kids to a pizza party.

It's a turd of a game which is why we got rid of it.

However if you like it, good for you.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Too late.
I sold the one I bought for the Atlanta youth center for $650 back in May 2012.
I made a whole $150 profit and treated the kids to a pizza party.
It's a turd of a game which is why we got rid of it.
However if you like it, good for you.

you should have put an orbitor 1 there for the pizza party so they had something to take a dump in after eating that pizza

#43 9 years ago

you should have put an orbitor 1 there for the pizza party so they had something to take a dump in after eating that pizza

They already did. he said there was an Xfiles there. Least O1 is inventive and original. What does xfiles have going for it? Except being a contender for last place in the DMD realm?

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

They already did. he said there was an Xfiles there. Least O1 is inventive and original. What does xfiles have going for it? Except being a contender for last place in the DMD realm?

spinning bumpers are very cool. the rest is garbage.

#45 9 years ago

spinning bumpers are very cool. the rest is garbage.

Spinning bumpers would not be cool if it was on a flat playfield. The reason the bumpers are so nice, is because of the ingenious way the playfield is contoured.

#46 9 years ago

If you're looking for advice on what pins to buy and which ones are turds, you're about 15 ~20 years too late.

Some listened to me, some didn't.

Look at my collection for some ideas and start taking out loans for nice originals or for the possible refakes.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

If you're looking for advice on what pins to buy and which ones are turds, you're about 15 ~20 years too late.
Some listened to me, some didn't.
Look at my collection for some ideas and start taking out loans for nice originals or for the possible refakes.

dont need advice, got most of the same in my lineup already. enjoy your orbiturd.

#48 9 years ago

Never understood people spending time commenting on games they don't like? Just browse by and find some topic that you do enjoy and comment there, no? Life's too short to tell everyone how you don't like stuff...

BTW, we've had our X-Files for over 3 years here and it's not going anywhere.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Never understood people spending time commenting on games they don't like? Just browse by and find some topic that you do enjoy and comment there, no? Life's too short to tell everyone how you don't like stuff...
BTW, we've had our X-files for over 3 years here and it's not going anywhere.

Yeah, looking highly forward to getting mine. It's not perfect by any means but with some TLC and some rehauling of decals down the road, it'll look like new. I plan on playing the hell out of it for a while before all that.

#50 9 years ago

I love my X-Files too. In fact, I actually have all 6 of the Sega Showcase curved backglass games in a row. And, I like them all!

Plus a few other misc Sega machines as well: Lost in Space, Godzilla, ID4, Baywatch, MSF, and a Maverick. Heh.

I like that most people don't like Sega--makes them affordable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proud-new-owner-of-an-x-files/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.