Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by HemiOrange09
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8838.jpg
IMG_8828.JPG

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Here is my prototype flasher mod that I am working on for the AoTD Mod. I can regulate the speed of the flasher. I might go even slower then this video shows....

Looking for some feed back at this point in time.

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

I think slower would be better IMHO.

#3 6 years ago

I can cut the speed down about 50% slower.... or I have to go back to the drawing board. I can make this mod a VERY expensive mod and add a industrial controller and add lots my light effects to the pinball and do what ever I want for lighting.

I am just looking to see what everyone wants

#4 6 years ago

Mine is lit continuous. I would slow it down by at least 50%

#6 6 years ago

They are ghosts not neutron stars. Their glow should fade in and out VERY slowly like the slow color changers do.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

They are ghosts not neutron stars. Their glow should fade in and out VERY slowly like the slow color changers do.

agree, thats even better.

#8 6 years ago

I made the mod on my own. Tried different lighting options over a week. In the end I just went with a GI circuit.

IMG_8828.JPG IMG_8838.jpg

#9 6 years ago

I will try slowing it down as far as the circuit will allow be to. I hope to get a glowing effect..... I can post another video soon.... I am using white LEDs and I have lots of different colors coming to try them out.

I thought about the GI circuit, but I am wanting to try other things then just leaving them on all the time.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

I made the mod on my own. Tried different lighting options over a week. In the end I just went with a GI circuit.

That looks great. I think GI would be the way to go unless Hemi can do a very slow fade.

#11 6 years ago

I couldn't figure it out, but if you could wire them to come on when the machine blacks out to announce "path of the dead" would be cool and really stand out. If you could also do a slow fade, each figure at a slightly different time would kick ass. ( all the ideas I couldn't figure out.) Good luck.

#12 6 years ago

I will see what I can do, maybe even a slightly different fading rate on each figure. I have not had much game time on this machine, one of my pinball buddies has this machine and I will have to get some game time in to see the current game lighting effects that the machine does. The reason for this mod, I had some fellow Pinsiders email me and wanted to see what I can come up with. In between making all the rest of my mods....

I know I can do this different start times and fading speeds to each figure, by using a industrial programmer. I have worked on them for 15 years now, and I know this can do the job, but these are not very cheap to buy. But if I end up using this I can add a lot more and different light effects throughtout the entire machine. The question is... Is there a demain for this level of moding to the machine.

#13 6 years ago

I actually wired mine up so each character ( bought an extra so I have 4 ) is wired into the corresponding globe for each lane for the PotD ( the globes numbered 1 - 4 on the panel at the back of the PotD ) .

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Is it hard to see the ball traveling through the POTD with this mod installed?

#15 6 years ago

Actually I think it's much easier to see because of the illumination from the figures. I thought the machine needed something in that corner of the playfield.

#16 6 years ago

Cant remember any part of the game that the potd is a focal point (ties into mode).
So I'd go constant lit and backround flash as a switch next to it is tripped or maybe trip the flasher as the ball enters the potd....keep them flashing for say 5-10 sec as the ball exits.

#17 6 years ago

Def a slow fade effect. If not the GI would be a better option. Im not sure how they would look if they were not fading together. I would have to see a video on that. An army marches together so fading together would only make sense. Right? I was just about to get the figures online and wire them to the GI. I will hold off a bit to see what you come up with.

#18 6 years ago

Guess I need to get off my high horse and buy some AOME figures before you buy them all.. : P

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

I know I can do this different start times and fading speeds to each figure, by using a industrial programmer. I have worked on them for 15 years now, and I know this can do the job, but these are not very cheap to buy. But if I end up using this I can add a lot more and different light effects throughtout the entire machine. The question is... Is there a demain for this level of moding to the machine.

could probably use an arduino to do this. What industrial programmer are you using?

#20 6 years ago

Very tempted. Hey Hemi, will your mod be including the figures as well?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Very tempted. Hey Hemi, will your mod be including the figures as well?

That's the plan.... I currently have 6 sets of figures on hand.... more circuit testing is under way.

#22 6 years ago

Well, I would buy a set if they don't flash. I haven't gotten around to messing with this mod yet. I could send you the figures I already have to save money.

#23 6 years ago

Maybe a slow fade to make the appear then disappear.
They are ghoasts after all right

#24 6 years ago

I'm interested on your plans to route the wires.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Well, I would buy a set if they don't flash. I haven't gotten around to messing with this mod yet. I could send you the figures I already have to save money.

If you want to send me your figures when I finish doing this mod, I will install it in them and then send them back to you. I have no problem doing that.

I purchase the sets in case others don't have them and want it after I complete it.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

I'm interested on your plans to route the wires.

I want to get "the look" figured out first, then I will take care of the wire routing... it fun prototyping

Please continue to give me your suggestions, so I can go in the direction and get the look that everyone wants.

#27 6 years ago

Here is the look of the flasher slowed down...I know the fade look will look better, but I just wanted to show this look. ...Here is a thought... I will keep one LED on all the time and flash the other one to see what that looks like

I will have to make a different circuit in order to get the LED to fade up and down.

#28 6 years ago

I gotta say, especially on a LOTR that flashers would be to much. The more subtle the better.

#29 6 years ago

Sorry, not a fan of them flashing at all. A fade of some sort might be cool, but flashing just looks wrong IMO.

#30 6 years ago

looks awesome but have to say the fade is still too fast...not sure if it should be bright white light or more or a warm yellow? I think paths of the dead and think is't still somewhat dark and ire, bright light changes that feel. Also, just a thought here but what if the light was lower towards the base of the figure to capture more than the top half.

#31 6 years ago

OK... I will try to dial up some fading LED circuits and post some videos this weekend.

#32 6 years ago

Hopefully third time is a charm.... This video has a very slow blink/fading look to it. I hope this is the winner. I am just using a white LED many more colors are going to be offered on this mod.

#33 6 years ago

OK, This one is the one .... 4 times is the charm for sure. Totally a slow fade in and out. I like this circuit. I can lower the intensity of the LED more. I just want to get the right effect first, and I have it with this circuit. That was a lot of experiments, but I feel everyone will like this one.

#34 6 years ago

I think it would be cool to only lit the figures when the ball hit the POTD and then fade away slowly as the ball exits instead of slow flashing.

#35 6 years ago

Hemi- looks great! Sign me up for a set. You the man! Like mentioned earler have turn on when ball on POTD then off when it exits. Another sweet mod by Hemi.

Side note TSPP garage door mod looks great in my game. Really finishes that important shot in the game.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

I think it would be cool to only lit the figures when the ball hit the POD and then fade away slowly as the ball exits instead of slow flashing.

It is possible, I can do this, but I want the effect that everyone wants, otherwise it is too much work for me to make all these circuits up for only one or two people.

Here is what my plans were....

Plan A....
The AoTD figures be on all the time to give the machine light in and the fading effect in that area.

OR

Plan B...
The AoTD figures only fade in and out as the ball in on the path, when the ball exits, the LED are off.

I need to get a vote on what everyone is looking for.

#37 6 years ago

Thumbs up on the speed. Will pm you thoughts on wiring.

#38 6 years ago

a slow fade in and out.

Yah, that one looks slick. Nice work.

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Thumbs up on the speed. Will pm you thoughts on wiring.

Thanks for the PM... I will talking to you soon.... does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Yah, that one looks slick. Nice work.
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

Thanks...I again the 4th video is the best. I just wanted to document my work to see what others want.

#41 6 years ago

4th vid looks awesome. My vote would be on only when the ball is there. 100%. Any idea on cost and ease of install?

#42 6 years ago

That's the fade! Dunno if I will purchase but I would definitely vote for b) only when the ball is up in the POTD

#43 6 years ago

Can you limit the max brightness? I think the level/speed of fade in that last video would look sick, if it just wasn't as bright in the end, then it would just give it an eerie look.

#44 6 years ago

How many iterations are you doing? Something like 12-16? How many different levels can you do? Is there any reason why you can't do 32 or 64 gradiations and make it really smooth? It still looks cool though. I'm curious what degree of control you have over the number of iterations and the intensity level.

#45 6 years ago

Plan B. I think it would look awesome as the ball goes down the POTD area to have the slow fade. I am in if it is not too much.

#46 6 years ago

It is possible, I can do this, but I want the effect that everyone wants, otherwise it is too much work for me to make all these circuits up for only one or two people.
Here is what my plans were....
Plan A....
The AoTD figures be on all the time to give the machine light in and the fading effect in that area.
OR
Plan B...
The AoTD figures only fade in and out as the ball in on the path, when the ball exits, the LED are off.
I need to get a vote on what everyone is looking for.

of the two, I'd vote plan B.

But... would rather have it turn on only during POTD and at reduced light level (towards the low end of your scale so that they would be barely on and very ghostly.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

of the two, I'd vote plan B.
But... would rather have it turn on only during POTD and at reduced light level (towards the low end of your scale so that they would be barely on and very ghostly.

I agree completely.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

How many iterations are you doing? Something like 12-16? How many different levels can you do? Is there any reason why you can't do 32 or 64 gradiations and make it really smooth? It still looks cool though. I'm curious what degree of control you have over the number of iterations and the intensity level.

I am not controlling this effect with a electronic programmer.... just a basic electronic circuit that I made up. NO computer control here, just years of experience in electronics. This is a linear fade not gradiations to adjust.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Can you limit the max brightness? I think the level/speed of fade in that last video would look sick, if it just wasn't as bright in the end, then it would just give it an eerie look.

I have a few ideas... I will try to get the eerie look.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

4th vid looks awesome. My vote would be on only when the ball is there. 100%. Any idea on cost and ease of install?

I am not sure in the cost yet, it depends of you will need the figures, the mounting plate, or just my circuits to install in your machine, too early to say, but I always try to keep my mods very reasonable in price ... as I get closer to making this circuit off my work bench I will have a better idea. As of now, my plans are to make this mod 100% plug in play, no soldering. My directions will be pictured and very complete, easy to follow, just these take me a lot of time to document.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside