IMG_20200307_222941 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200307_181328 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200307_181310 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200307_153118 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200307_131333 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200304_155212 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200304_155205 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200304_154752 (resized).jpg
There are 521 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

I haven't installed yet. Is it possible to change the 3,000 lettering with a water slide decal?

No I meant get the hardtop swapped for one that's correct. I'm not going to accept a hardtop with an error after spending that kind of money.

#302 4 years ago

If you haven’t installed yet, I would try to have it swapped out.

#303 4 years ago

Well, we have been alerted. We will need to work on a solution. However, as a reminder we are down right now... and any reprints will take time.

We apologize for this. I hope you all realize that we put these through multiple steps to make sure these are correct before releasing. Still... it seems we have missed something. It is harder than it seems. It is a little like the worst game of “find waldo” ever. Sometimes your off in the weeds fixing obscure problems.. and an obvious one slips by.

Let us regroup and figure out how quickly we can come up with a fix...or reprint.

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Well, we have been alerted. We will need to work on a solution. However, as a reminder we are down right now... and any reprints will take time.
We apologize for this. I hope you all realize that we put these through multiple steps to make sure these are correct before releasing. Still... it seems we have missed something. It is harder than it seems. It is a little like the worst game of “find waldo” ever. Sometimes your off in the weeds fixing obscure problems.. and an obvious one slips by.
Let us regroup and figure out how quickly we can come up with a fix...or reprint.

There are ways to compare images with software to find differences. We used this to generate a mask in the alpha channel that contained the difference found within some adjustable degree of tolerance. It’s not a silver bullet but it could certainly detect a 1 versus a 3 like this. I wish I could be more helpful but this was like ten years ago. Pretty sure we used the free ImageMagik library for it.

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Thanks for the response. Not an ideal situation for anyone, I know.

#306 4 years ago

Would you believe Skypilot's "final prototype" in post #112 had this? Amazing.

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Would you believe Skypilot's "final prototype" in post #112 had this? Amazing.

Not my best day. My apologies to the masses

We corrected so many details. I can't believe I also missed this one. Oh well, mine is completely installed and I have no plans on redoing it. I've reached my inner peace with my pinball addiction . The cabinet is almost done and I'm ready to just enjoy this.

45E8C3A6-9344-4FFB-AB93-F4424CAC688A (resized).jpeg45E8C3A6-9344-4FFB-AB93-F4424CAC688A (resized).jpeg9F12BCA0-417C-425F-9580-6C07FF4BA736 (resized).jpeg9F12BCA0-417C-425F-9580-6C07FF4BA736 (resized).jpeg
#309 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Not my best day. My apologies to the masses
We corrected so many details. I can't believe I also missed this one. Oh well, mine is completely installed and I have no plans on redoing it. I've reached my inner peace with my pinball addiction . The cabinet is almost done and I'm ready to just enjoy this.[quoted image][quoted image]

It’s a major improvement and a very minor flaw.

Damn your cabinet looks amazing, did you repaint/restencil?

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

New paint and PinballPimp stencils.

#311 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

New paint and pinballpimp stencils.

Looking nice! I built a new backbox as mine is trash. Will be using PP stencils for that, as well.

While I know they won’t be an exact match, mind sharing paint codes? Will give me a starting point for color matching.

#312 4 years ago

I sold this about 5 years ago! If we could only see the into the future! Yes that's an original white wood HS

PB040219 (resized).JPGPB040219 (resized).JPG
#313 4 years ago

So obviously all the hard tops have this error....

I was just getting ready to install mine....

No rush now that there is an error on it. Hoping they will make it right.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

So obviously all the hard tops have this error....
I was just getting ready to install mine....
No rush now that there is an error on it. Hoping they will make it right.

There will be a fix. It should be doable in the field. We will have instructions. This is a fix that for the most part can only be executed prior to install.

Fo those that have applied, I am not sure the change is worth the work involved. However, we will address this as well.

One digit will need carefully removed, and we will send a digit to apply that matches.

We will be in touch soon!

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

mind sharing paint codes? Will give me a starting point for color matching.

Shared .The colors were great and vibrant but I did not look to match existing color. Also being this is a Hardtop and not a full restoration I am experimenting with product.Ive had several issues with the application (lift,crackeling ect.) so Im not endorsing these products.

IMG_3217 (resized).JPGIMG_3217 (resized).JPGIMG_3218 (resized).JPGIMG_3218 (resized).JPG
#316 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

There will be a fix. It should be doable in the field. We will have instructions. This is a fix that for the most part can only be executed prior to install.
Fo those that have applied, I am not sure the change is worth the work involved. However, we will address this as well.
One digit will need carefully removed, and we will send a digit to apply that matches.
We will be in touch soon!

That was what I was thinking - remove the the “3” replace with a “1” decal just before install.

I am sure it will be fine in the end, at least it was caught now for me before install....for that I am grateful.

Thanks....

#317 4 years ago

How would you go about removing the 3 when it is printed on the back of the plastic and has the adhesive over it? Looks to me like it would scratch or cut the plastic.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

How would you go about removing the 3 when it is printed on the back of the plastic and has the adhesive over it? Looks to me like it would scratch or cut the plastic.

Solution coming.

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This times 100. Hell I work as a software quality assurance analyst and missed it. Just one of those things hahaha. Still it looks super awesome so I'm still happy with it. Good to know the future ones will be corrected as well.

#320 4 years ago

Fixed.

Eat your heart out HEPEat your heart out HEP

PM me, and I'll custom-make these for any hardtop owners.

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Fixed.
[quoted image]

That's the wrong font.

#322 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

That's the wrong font.

Touche.

#323 4 years ago

Wow. That's a little disheartening. I still have yet to get to the stage of applying the Hardtop, I just finished the final coat of clear. Working slowly and carefully maybe what saves me. It'll be interesting to see what the potential fix would be... As ita47 points out, removing the printed numbers on the underside seems like it could make the situation worse.

Quoted from ita47:

I've never done anything like this before and don't trust my skills as a 'craftsman', sanding the original artwork off gave me incredible anxiety.

20190821_195504 (resized).jpg20190821_195504 (resized).jpg20190822_081725 (resized).jpg20190822_081725 (resized).jpg
#324 4 years ago
Quoted from detroitzoran:

Wow. That's a little disheartening. I still have yet to get to the stage of applying the Hardtop, I just finished the final coat of clear. Working slowly and carefully maybe what saves me. It'll be interesting to see what the potential fix would be... As ita47 points out, removing the printed numbers on the underside seems like it could make the situation worse.

I've never done anything like this before and don't trust my skills as a 'craftsman', sanding the original artwork off gave me incredible anxiety.[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome - probably more than needed since you are basically putting a giant plastic decal over it. But, now you have a ton of time might as well do it perfectly.

Looks great...

#325 4 years ago

I've never done anything like this before and don't trust my skills as a 'craftsman', sanding the original artwork off gave me incredible anxiety.[quoted image][quoted image]

Give that clear lots of time to cure when you can’t smell it it’s done outgassing and cured
I’d say this hardtop delay may work in your favor

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Fixed.
[quoted image]

Looks better than my idea

555c898ebebc3766427fede01adc99f77a2785ca (resized).jpg555c898ebebc3766427fede01adc99f77a2785ca (resized).jpg
#327 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Looks better than my idea[quoted image]

Disagree. I should have work-shopped my idea more. Your revision is sublime.

#328 4 years ago

Looks great, man!

Like others noted, upside is you can resist the temptation to install before the clear has time to cure. That can only be better in the long-term.

#329 4 years ago

Thanks.
I guess waiting now is going to be the hardest part.
Listening to everyone's advice here I started with a 5 inch random orbital sander beginning with the 80 grit and worked my way up to 220. Then I cleared using Spraymax 2K clear coat that comes in a rattle can.

#330 4 years ago

I guess waiting now is going to be the hardest part.

I am in the middle of a RoboWar restoration so I had not even begun on my High Speed. Lucky me that my hardtop is still in the box waiting. I don't want more than one machine down at a time. My RW will probably be another 6 weeks until I am finished so I have plenty of time to wait for a solution to the typo.

#331 4 years ago

If anyone wants to sell their defective HS hardtop. PM me

#332 4 years ago

OK,

First, sorry again for the mistake to customers that received them. All High Speed Hardtops to be shipped moving forward will have this fix. Then, as more are produced in the coming months, the printing will be corrected on this single instance points insert.

Please see the photos attached here. This actually looks like a more of a job than it is. I think it took me under 10 minutes to make the repair. I will have some number "1" digits to send all those who wish to make this fix. We can mail them out to those who PM me. It seems that for some... this mistake is not a biggy... while others are more concerned that it be fixed. So, again... if you wish to make this change prior to install, simply contact us.

Note that this is a fix that can only be administered PRIOR to installation on your playfield. It boils down to a small blade and gentle scraping (with patience)... repolish ... re-apply correct digit. The digits we will send will provide for identical density when lit also.

Also, I suggest using a magnifying glass... or head band style magnifying lense to make the job easier and more precise.

If you already applied your Hardtop, please PM us... or email @ [email protected]
IMG_5393 (resized).JPGIMG_5393 (resized).JPGIMG_5394 (resized).JPGIMG_5394 (resized).JPGIMG_5395 (resized).JPGIMG_5395 (resized).JPGIMG_5396 (resized).JPGIMG_5396 (resized).JPGIMG_5397 (resized).JPGIMG_5397 (resized).JPGIMG_5398 (resized).JPGIMG_5398 (resized).JPGIMG_5399 (resized).JPGIMG_5399 (resized).JPGIMG_5400 (resized).JPGIMG_5400 (resized).JPGIMG_5390 (resized).jpgIMG_5390 (resized).jpgIMG_5392 (resized).jpgIMG_5392 (resized).jpgIMG_5389 (resized).jpgIMG_5389 (resized).jpg

#333 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

OK,
The digits we will send will provide for identical density when lit also.

I was just about to write about that, but made myself re-read it. Glad you beat me to the punch

Thanks for working on solutions for both those of us who have installed already, as well as those who have not.

#334 4 years ago

PM sent....I can live with what we have to do...it’s only pinball....

Thanks...

#335 4 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

PM sent....I can live with what we have to do...it’s only pinball....
Thanks...

Thank you all for your kind responses. I have received several requests for digits. I will have them mailed out by next Monday. We feel bad about the little goof.. but this was our first actual printing error out of 13 titles... WAIT! That is what happened. Damn unlucky number 13.

Thanks again folks. KEEP FLIPPING

1 week later
#336 4 years ago

Attention High Speed folks! We are (limping) back on line.... We have 6 finished High Speed Hardtops ready for shipment. We are NOT turning on the website for another 30 days or so... but if you would like one of these it's first come first serve. Yes, the digit has already been changed/corrected using the method we published here.

PM me if you would like one along with your address and we will Paypal invoice you. Once payed, we will ship.

Cost is still $298.00... but truthfully may be going up (around $20.00) due to material cost increases very soon.

Thank you!

#337 4 years ago

I haven't checked mine yet, but if it has the goof I'm keeping it. It'll be worth way more down the road, like a mis-stamped penny!

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I haven't checked mine yet, but if it has the goof I'm keeping it. It'll be worth way more down the road, like a mis-stamped penny!

I call it the "Special 71,000 Point Bonus Edition"

#339 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Prototype is staying. great conversation piece

#340 4 years ago

Fix it in the code! Done all the time.

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

We have 6 finished High Speed Hardtops ready for shipment. We are NOT turning on the website for another 30 days or so... but if you would like one of these it's first come first serve.

Received mine yesterday. Looks great!
Thanks! I hope you continue to make these great products.

#342 4 years ago

Got my HS Hardtop yesterday. Many thanks to all who were involved!

#343 4 years ago

Mine's on the way! I'm terrified of this undertaking as I've never done anything this complex with a machine. Only been at it since February. Here's hoping I don't screw it up! This guide will be a big help -- glad it exists.

I don't think I'll redo the cabinet art; mine's 'good enough' for me. I'm not really one for immaculate cabinets anyway.. Everything gets banged up a little going up/down my crappy stairs. Those awful black legs will likely get powder coated though, they look gross.
IMG_20190901_155843 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_155843 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_014726 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_014726 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101448 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101448 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101508 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101508 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101528 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101528 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101535 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101535 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190902_101436 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_101436 (resized).jpg
#344 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Mine's on the way! I'm terrified of this undertaking as I've never done anything this complex with a machine. Only been at it since February. Here's hoping I don't screw it up! This guide will be a big help -- glad it exists.
I don't think I'll redo the cabinet art; mine's 'good enough' for me. I'm not really one for immaculate cabinets anyway.. Everything gets banged up a little going up/down my crappy stairs. Those awful black legs will likely get powder coated though, they look gross.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your cab looks similar to mine. I did a *light* pass with a Magic Eraser and Simple Green on the cab and it really freshened the paint. Again, just need to be gentle.

If it helps, here's my thread about my Hardtop install, including a link to a gallery of pics and vids: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-on-a-high-speed

Also, if you haven't read it yet, I very highly recommend reading Vid's thread on installing a Hardtop on a Comet. Lots of really good tips there: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet

All-in-all, the install process isn't terribly "hard". It's just tedious. You really want to make sure you get photos of everything. I took 4k/60 FPS video, which ended up being a live saver. In hindsight, I wish I had moved a bit slower in the video and captured things from all sides. Would have sped up the process a bit.

Good luck with your install and reach out for any help you need!

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Your cab looks similar to mine. I did a *light* pass with a Magic Eraser and Simple Green on the cab and it really freshened the paint. Again, just need to be gentle.
If it helps, here's my thread about my Hardtop install, including a link to a gallery of pics and vids: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-on-a-high-speed
Also, if you haven't read it yet, I very highly recommend reading Vid's thread on installing a Hardtop on a Comet. Lots of really good tips there: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet
All-in-all, the install process isn't terribly "hard". It's just tedious. You really want to make sure you get photos of everything. I took 4k/60 FPS video, which ended up being a live saver. In hindsight, I wish I had moved a bit slower in the video and captured things from all sides. Would have sped up the process a bit.
Good luck with your install and reach out for any help you need!

Fantastic. Thanks a bunch!

I'm confident I can do this, I'm just.... Nervous.

Displays are already done up with XPIN and I'm going to get one of the red ramps from freeplay40 once I start stripping things down Other than that, I need to resolve the adjust error (NVRAM or remote battery holder should do it, I'd imagine) and I should be in pretty decent shape. We'll see.

#346 4 years ago

Redoing the cabinet is a PITA. Yours looks great ,KSUWildcatFan leave it. I only did mine because I like to add stress and frustration to my pinball world.

IMG_3307 (resized).JPGIMG_3307 (resized).JPG
#347 4 years ago

It's certainly not perfect but none of my cabs are.. not even the World Cup Soccer I spent *loud gagging noises* $3200 on. But again I'm not THAT kind of collector so I don't really care all that much. The HS cab is still one of my nicer cabs, and for the $800 it cost me, I couldn't care less Your redone HS cab is GORGEOUS.

Really, most everything I have (not looking at you, WCS, and probably not you either, SS.. Lol) has been stupid cheap by today's pinflated prices (Af-Tor $1000, Alien Poker $700, Eight Ball Deluxe/Meteor/Black Knight 2000 $2000, High Speed (same seller) $800) and with that comes some certain level of ugliness SOMEWHERE. It is what it is. I'll just call it "character"... Lol

What excites me is that I feel like I'm pretty close to having what I feel to be a nice, well-rounded 5pin lineup (EBD--needs a hardtop!, Meteor, hardtopped Space Shuttle, World Cup Soccer, and High Speed). I've done lots of swapping around to get to this point in hopes that the five machines I have will all get solid play time by not only me, but by my kids as well. Fingers crossed.

-Jordan

18072284326708164144 (resized).JPEG18072284326708164144 (resized).JPEG18202476174687341474 (resized).JPG18202476174687341474 (resized).JPG8355314946541746559 (resized).JPEG8355314946541746559 (resized).JPEG5086556301077767112 (resized).JPG5086556301077767112 (resized).JPG6425422749675392351 (resized).JPG6425422749675392351 (resized).JPGIMG_20190910_225359 (resized).jpgIMG_20190910_225359 (resized).jpgIMG_20190910_225409 (resized).jpgIMG_20190910_225409 (resized).jpg
#348 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

What excites me is that I feel like I'm pretty close to having what I feel to be a nice, well-rounded 5pin lineup (EBD--needs a hardtop!, Meteor, hardtopped Space Shuttle, World Cup Soccer, and High Speed).

Very nice collection!

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Very nice collection!

Some lucky finds for sure. Not every day does someone stumble across a BK2K/EBD/Meteor/HS ready-made lineup for the cost of BK2K (which I got bored with and eventually sold). Pure luck. Comparitively speaking I paid full on retail for WCS and SS... But I really wanted both and both were 'ready to go' needing basically nothing. That and I piggybacked the purchases off handsome profits from both Af-Tor and BK2K. Trying to build a nice lineup on a budget, in 2019, has certainly tested my skills on trading up and out lmao

-Jordan

#350 4 years ago

Oh! Oh! Oh! What could this be (OTHER than horribly overgrown grass I'm too lazy to cut)?!
IMG_20190916_151038 (resized).jpgIMG_20190916_151038 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190916_151607 (resized).jpgIMG_20190916_151607 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 521 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototyping-a-hardtop-high-speed/page/7?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.