IMG_20200307_222941 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200307_181328 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200307_181310 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200307_153118 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200307_131333 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200304_155212 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200304_155205 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200304_154752 (resized).jpg
There are 521 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Venetic:

does anyone know a good place to get those blue hotdog inserts? I can't seem to find them anywhere!

Clear insert with blue LEDs wouldn't look bad......

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Venetic:

does anyone know a good place to get those blue hotdog inserts? I can't seem to find them anywhere!

there is a place in Australia I bought green ones for STTNG, they probably have blue ones

#103 5 years ago

Red might be an option too.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7570-9

Quoted from AUKraut:

Clear insert with blue LEDs wouldn't look bad......

#104 5 years ago

ya, I saw all the other colors available, was hoping to keep it stock, but apparently blue crescent inserts are non existent

#105 4 years ago

Any news for this?

Are we there yet?

#106 4 years ago

Ready? Id take the one in pics with the White in Two areas! I don't care

#107 4 years ago

Following! Working on a High Speed this summer that could really use one of these!

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Ready? Id take the one in pics with the White in Two areas! I don't care

Maybe if you ask more it will happen faster lol. I’m sure they’ll let you know when it’s available

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Maybe if you ask more it will happen faster lol. I’m sure they’ll let you know when it’s available

That was my first time asking for a reject. Thanks for your help. So nice of you.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

That was my first time asking for a reject. Thanks for your help. So nice of you.

You’re welcome!! I mean come on dude you asked two days in a row. Outside edge just put out a post about rushing them on things and asking questions over and over. You may have missed it so I’m sorry. I for one am just thankful that they are making the product at all. Obviously we all want what we want and we want it now but after a long wait there is obviously a light at the end of the tunnel. Just be patient is all I’m saying.

#111 4 years ago

You’re welcome!! I mean come on dude you asked two days in a row. Outside edge just put out a post about rushing them on things and asking questions over and over. You may have missed it so I’m sorry. I for one am just thankful that they are making the product at all. Obviously we all want what we want and we want it now but after a long wait there is obviously a light at the end of the tunnel. Just be patient is all I’m saying.

Thank you for being patient and understanding.

#112 4 years ago

I received what appears to be the final revision today. I am leaving in the morning on the booze bus. We will be making our way to the Silver Ball Country Club and then to Allentown. When I return and get settled I will get to work on installing this.The playfield is cleared and ready to go so it should not be too long.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I received what appears to be the final revision today. I am leaving in the morning on the booze bus. We will be making our way to the Silver Ball Country Club and then to Allentown. When I return and get settled I will get to work on installing this.The playfield is cleared and ready to go so it should not be too long.
[quoted image]

It looks beautiful! Thank you for a great product. You're going to help save a lot of games!

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

These are going to be awesome!

#115 4 years ago

Just applied my Taxi Hard Top last night. These things are really, really well done and look beautiful. I probably have 20 hours just to get to the installation of the Hard Top for anybody looking for an estimate.

IMG_8679 2 (resized).JPGIMG_8679 2 (resized).JPG
#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

[quoted image]

Those prototypes have the most amazing ability to arrive just as you are leaving on vacation, or family has arrived for Christmas, or you've just started some other big project.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Those prototypes have the most amazing ability to arrive just as you are leaving on vacation, or family has arrived for Christmas, or you've just started some other big project.

But they arrive ! That’s what matters!
And no way he’s missing the booze bus and A-town!

#118 4 years ago

Hope to see some of you gents in Allentown

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#119 4 years ago

It wont be too long before the complete playfield replacement is ready. If these take much longer, then they will have some new competition from cpr and probably wont sell many. I think less than a year away is what i was told. Which is how long this thread has been going on.

I asked a different question the second day, if you bothered reading. I asked for a reject hard overlay.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Any news for this?
Are we there yet?

Looks like the same question to me... but it’s whatever I guess. I read just fine and it appears that you asked the same questions on back to back days and then followed that with you’d take the reject. I’m not sure why a company would sell you a reject considering they are trying to promote the product and allowing a subpar example to hit market would do just the opposite in the long run. I’m not arguing with you about it though. Your options are simple... either WAIT for this product or WAIT for CPR.

#121 4 years ago

This is in a different league than a CPR Playfield. First, the CPR playfield is around triple the cost. Second, it is a LOT more work to do a complete playfield swap versus a topside teardown, prep, and install.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This is in a different league than a CPR Playfield. First, the CPR playfield is around triple the cost. Second, it is a LOT more work to do a complete playfield swap versus a topside teardown, prep, and install.

Yep, exactly.
Also, there were over 17,000 High Speed games built, so there should be plenty of market for both products and it's great to have choices.

#123 4 years ago

Made a total mess sanding down playfield, then took me weeks to clear, sand, clear, sand, clear, polish.

I'd trade that labor, and $150 in automotive paint for a ready-to-go playfield with new inserts any day!

You will get clear paint, and dust all over the light sockets, ruining them along with everyother bottom side part. Requires removing everything to do it correctly.

I think in the end it is cheaper to just swap entire playfield after me doing 6 playfields this year. It just takes too long, and in the end you have 20-30yr old inserts and a sticker on your wood.

It is a LOT less work doing a total playfield sway vs/ sanding, clearing, removing everything, forking around with old inserts, and reinstalling it actually. I know because I have done it many many times this year.

I was going to Allentown to see if these are ready, but I guess not?

#124 4 years ago

Looks like the same question to me... but it’s whatever I guess. I read just fine and it appears that you asked the same questions on back to back days and then followed that with you’d take the reject. I’m not sure why a company would sell you a reject considering they are trying to promote the product and allowing a subpar example to hit market would do just the opposite in the long run. I’m not arguing with you about it though. Your options are simple... either WAIT for this product or WAIT for CPR.

Except you edited my words jackhole! I asked to buy the reject with the White in areas that should have been clear. First time I asked that question. Why don't you let people speak for themselves? Maybe someone does want to sell a reject with the tiny flaw in White/vs Clear? I doubt anyone would notice or even care at all.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Made a total mess sanding down playfield, then took me weeks to clear, sand, clear, sand, clear, polish.
I'd trade that labor, and $150 in automotive paint for a ready-to-go playfield with new inserts any day!
You will get clear paint, and dust all over the light sockets, ruining them along with everyother bottom side part. Requires removing everything to do it correctly.
I think in the end it is cheaper to just swap entire playfield after me doing 6 playfields this year. It just takes too long, and in the end you have 20-30yr old inserts and a sticker on your wood.
It is a LOT less work doing a total playfield sway vs/ sanding, clearing, removing everything, forking around with old inserts, and reinstalling it actually. I know because I have done it many many times this year.

I tend to agree with you on parts of this. You have to really find a balance as to how far you want to go however. These Hard Tops are really meant as a stop gap between a decent, color-matching touchup job and a full playfield swap. I think its a great product but their estimated time of 4 hours to perform the installation, especially on a System 11 era game, is a bit of a stretch.

Last week when I was sanding and blowing dust all over my driveway, I can remember thinking to myself how a full swap would be preferable, however after working on rebuilding mechs last night I am still confident the Hard Top was the way to go for my particular project.

Taxiunder (resized).jpgTaxiunder (resized).jpg
#126 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Except you edited my words jackhole! I asked to buy the reject with the White in areas that should have been clear. First time I asked that question. Why don't you let people speak for themselves? Maybe someone does want to sell a reject with the tiny flaw in White/vs Clear? I doubt anyone would notice or even care at all.

Oh no! Now I’ve hurt your feelings and you are calling me names. I’m so offended

Did I edit your words? I only quoted your post. You asked two questions in the post... the first was “Ready?” And the second question was about the reject. Maybe you should have read your own post. You seem very sensitive. That’s a good sign of someone who is wrong. I’m sure they can speak for themselves but If they wanted a reject out they’d offer them all the time.

But as for now I’ll back out on this as you are derailing an entire thread to call me names when all I said to you was that you should be patient. Enjoy your wait lol

#127 4 years ago

You don't have to do a triple thick coating of clear I just did my Space shuttle with a hard top, sanded, leveled the inserts, and sprayed clear mainly over just
the inserts, to take the dull out of them. stuck on the hard top, and she's never looked or played as good. I don't think I spent more than a total of 3 hours.
With the number of games made, this will never be worth what installing a new CPR PF would cost in time and labor.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

You don't have to do a triple thick coating of clear I just did my Space shuttle with a hard top, sanded, leveled the inserts, and sprayed clear mainly over just
the inserts, to take the dull out of them. stuck on the hard top, and she's never looked or played as good. I don't think I spent more than a total of 3 hours.
With the number of games made, this will never be worth what installing a new CPR PF would cost in time and labor.

Exactly. I can’t justify the dollar amount of replacing the playfield on a $1500 game.

#129 4 years ago

I'd have to agree with this for the most part. I just finished doing an ES PF swap and I think in total I was around 20 to 25 hours. I feel like with all the sanding, clearing and other prep it might take just as long. Also I find it alot easier to just install the existing parts on a new play field than to do all the wood work needed for this. Not trying to dis hard tops or anything I just get what he is saying.

Quoted from turbo2nr:

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

Did my Space Shuttle with a hardtop. In my kitchen. Sanded only the inserts and the areas directly adjacent. Didn't clear anything. Just polished the inserts nice and clear.
If you don't want a Hardtop, why are you so anxious to get one?

#131 4 years ago

Exactly. I can’t justify the dollar amount of replacing the playfield on a $1500 game.

You are living in the past, HS is no longer a $1500 game! https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/78784

Seriously though, even pretty beat up ones are going for over $1500 now, pinflation is crazy!!

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You are living in the past, HS is no longer a $1500 game! https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/78784
Seriously though, even pretty beat up ones are going for over $1500 now, pinflation is crazy!!

I Just bought a fully working high-speed with a blown out play field for $900 last week. I think the pinside average price is $1200.

#133 4 years ago

I Just bought a fully working high-speed with a blown out play field for $900 last week. I think the pinside average price is $1200.

No where around here at those prices I agree with $1500 anything less than that is a huge gift.

#134 4 years ago

Honestly you guys are probably right. I know the $900 was a steal of a deal on a fully working machine. $1500 is probably the low end mark these days I guess.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I saw that exact machine on eBay same pictures and all over a year ago

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

3 sanding disks and a 9.00 rattle can did my firepower. Either you have more money than brains or got off the trolley 1 stop early. One thing I can say is you like seeing your name on Pinside....

#137 4 years ago

Last time I did a full playfield swap it took me months to get all the bugs worked out. The screw holes are not in the exact same place and I had alignment problems with several things. It was my first time but definitely not just swap and go. Much patience required to get everything dialed in right.

#138 4 years ago

What most of you fail to realize is this hardtop will never wear out in your lifetime can’t say that for automotive clear.
I prefer a hardtop to conventional play field .
That hardtop finish looks like 10 coats of clear ! Just an Awsome product!

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

[quoted image]

Are we at a point where production is waiting on your final approval?

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Are we at a point where production is waiting on your final approval?

#141 4 years ago

Yes

#142 4 years ago

The man posted he is on vacation via pinfest
He is not your bitch nor anyoneeles bitch . Patience is a vertue WTF! Let him enjoy his time off!

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

The man posted he is on vacation via pinfest
He is not your bitch nor anyoneeles bitch . Patience is a vertue WTF! Let him enjoy his time off!

Holy jeebus. My question was just to understand what the remaining steps were. Maybe step out for a minute and collect yourself.

1 week later
#144 4 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I've been visiting the Outside Edge page in anticipation, I got a High Speed a week ago that will really look great with this new Hard Top.

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Holy jeebus. My question was just to understand what the remaining steps were. Maybe step out for a minute and collect yourself.

Hey Rob, I'm patiently waiting on this as well. What condition is your playfield in? Was yours protected with any mylar or did you use a playfield protector? Mine was totally trashed and I installed an overlay which only lasted a few months before delaminating. Hoping this will be the last time I have to tear down my High Speed.

#146 4 years ago

Currently sanding down this piece of work in anticipation (don’t let the lighting fool you). There is a petrified bee honeycomb on the left inside leg... if that gives you any idea on the condition. Looking forward to resurrecting it from the dead with the hardtop. Many thanks to Outside Edge and Skypilot for their hard work.

4BE89465-E40C-44EB-A21C-89431AA5AFBB (resized).jpeg4BE89465-E40C-44EB-A21C-89431AA5AFBB (resized).jpegE4686245-3414-4187-AB16-49A971DF86B5 (resized).jpegE4686245-3414-4187-AB16-49A971DF86B5 (resized).jpeg
#147 4 years ago

10 years ago that would be near mint condition...lol

1 week later
#148 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Closer than you think

Since no one's posted in this thread for a while and there are likely more than a few of us with already sanded down Highspeed playfields in anticipation of this ; I am very curious if there are any updates on how this is going or when this is expected to be available on the market?

#149 4 years ago

See the thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outside-edge-announces-next-5-hardtop-titles-#post-4655636

First post in this, from last October, says they anticipated High Speed by last Christmas. Also announced 5 additional titles that would be available in the next 12-14 months.....none of which have made it to production (yet).

I know this stuff takes time, and there are modifications to go through to get it just right. But something in the design and testing process sure seems to be dragging this process out. I'll point no fingers, as I have no idea what that is. But I don't get it, since the hardtop designs in question are licensed from planetary (or Gottlieb), which I'd assume means they have access to all the source design diagrams and specs.......most of these full machines (electronics, code, art, top, assembly, etc) didn't take this long to produce.

I decided long ago I didn't have enough info/insight into timelines to be willing to wait and ended up just moving on from my high speed. Pretty glad I did, since that was 9 months ago now and I'd be pretty frustrated with my crappy playfield otherwise.

Everyone understands timelines change and are hard to pin down....but setting some level of expectation and then communicating delays and how timelines change is just good practice. Haven't seen much of that here. Won't make everyone happy, but sure cuts down the constant questions, noise and grumbling a lot. Just my 2 cents

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 521 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototyping-a-hardtop-high-speed/page/3?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.