SDC10099.JPG
SDC10101.JPG
SDC10106.JPG
SDC10107.JPG
SDC10098.JPG
SDC10096.JPG
SDC10095.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Picked up my Safe Cracker today from the guy I had redo the cabinet and get it ready to play.

Yes, I paid someone to do what I do every day (well not full restorations everyday but work on pins). It is just like the mechanic that won't work on his own car. This thing has sat around for too long needing love and I knew, since it was mine, I would never get to it. So...I let someone else have the fun...and I will say it is nice to just pick up a game that already plays!!

-new cabinet art
-new T-molding
-new plastics (except the ENTER ROOF plastic)
-plastic protector set
-new star post
-playfied stripped, 3M polished, waxed, etc...
-metal polished, hardware tumbled
-new legs
-wings were missing and had to be reproduced

Throwing up so photos of the proto differences. Might throw up a few full cabinet shots tomorrow, I'm sure everyone knows what an unfaded SC looks like mine looks like what you'd expect.

#2 11 years ago

INVISIBLE insert on proto, says SAFE on production

SDC10095.JPGSDC10095.JPG

#3 11 years ago

No text on drop target inserts on proto, text on production.

SDC10096.JPGSDC10096.JPG SDC10098.JPGSDC10098.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Bottom lanes have reed switches on proto, micro switches on production

SDC10107.JPGSDC10107.JPG SDC10106.JPGSDC10106.JPG

#5 11 years ago

Red lamp boards.

SDC10101.JPGSDC10101.JPG // Error: Image 44027 not found // SDC10105.JPGSDC10105.JPG

#6 11 years ago

ENTER ROOF plastic. On production model text in centered left and arrow points down. This is the only plastic I did not replace from the new set as all the others were the same.

SDC10099.JPGSDC10099.JPG

#7 11 years ago

prototypes are interesting to see the differences, but is there a "desire" to get a prototype because it's so rare? Seems to me a prototype would feel unfinished, though I guess in some cases you might get extra features not in the production game because of cost cutting (first 500 earthshakers with sinking institute for instance)

#8 11 years ago

My collection has evolved towards rare, proto, odd, novelty games over that last few years. So, in my case there is a "desire". In most cases they proto's are not really unfinished as far as game play but just have differences. As in the ENTER ROOF plastic, I'm sure they moved the lamp to the right side of the plastic so it is not hidden by the VUK wire form and you can see it better. The text on the drop target inserts in the production model helps tell you what the drops do in the game.

#9 11 years ago

Congrats on the SC prototype!!!!!

#10 11 years ago

There are prototype collectors out there.. there are not a lot of us, but there are a few.

To me, a whitewood game is often unfinished, but prototype games are not typically unfinished. They might be a little different, but they usually aren't missing anything large and glaring - for example, my proto CFTBL has a few playfield differences in the artwork, but that's about it. For example, the area under the ramps didn't have the artwork like production games, the KISS inserts were red on protos, etc.

Sometimes, there are things on sample and prototype games that were cost reduced out, which makes them more desirable to a prototype collector, like the stainless sides on the IJ POA, an extra set of drop targets on Rollergames, Corvette, a shifter assy on Corvette, etc.

And, sometimes, the additional features that were removed were removed because the game played better *without* them, like the way the ball locks were on early Jackbots. I have a friend who sold a sample Jackbot because the game just didn't play real well because of the ball locks.

#11 11 years ago

The safecracker looks real nice. In some ways, I wish I never parted with my 2nd SC. Neat game you just don't see many of!

#12 11 years ago

What a nice machine to have in the collection! Thats one to be proud of!

#13 11 years ago

I have my Sample CV.

It says "Tickle the Ringmaster" on it! I mean who wouldn't want that.

I am one of those who would pay more for a genuine Sample/Prototype, but that's just me. Others couldn't give a crap.

#14 11 years ago

Got the wings and topper installed.

cabinet_left.JPGcabinet_left.JPG cabinet_right.JPGcabinet_right.JPG

#15 11 years ago

Still need to install the Cliffy's that came in recently and print some nice instruction cards.

pf_upper.JPGpf_upper.JPG pf_middle.JPGpf_middle.JPG pf_lower.JPGpf_lower.JPG

#16 11 years ago

Mantis makes a protector for the bank scoop.

I'm curious, does your game have the welded lockdown bar? I bought a lockdown bar that was welded and it was supposedly a "proto" style.

#17 11 years ago

It does.

SC_welded_lockdown_bar.JPGSC_welded_lockdown_bar.JPG

#18 11 years ago

Interestingly enough, I have a welded lockdown bar on a ticket tac toe also.. not sure if it came with that bar, or someone used it as an afterthought.

6 years later
#19 5 years ago

Wow! I was wondering about this when I saw one at TPF last weekend. I saw the differences between it and mine, thanks for sharing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototype-safe-cracker-is-finished and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.