Prototype Revenge from Mars ROM V0.8?

By JeremyON

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hello pinsiders,
I just bought a Revenge From Mars conversion kit for my Star Wars Episode 1 and when I booted it, there was no sound rom and the game rom was V0.8. The game does start, but I haven't hooked up a launch button yet. I am about to update the card to V1.5, but was wondering if this is a prototype ROM which would be of interest to the archive community. Also, if someone could share where I need to hook up the launch button to the harness that would be most helpful. Thank you!

#2 7 years ago

OK, so I'm back to answer my own question. Hopefully it will help some other Pin2K newbie. The conversion kit that I bought only had the daughter ROM card, not a complete prism card. The daughter card contains graphic and sound data, but the game code itself is stored on the other half of the prism card. I powered up after doing a direct daughter card and playfield swap, so my game saw the SWE1 game code as corrupt game code and defaulted to the barebones game code encoded on the daughter card (RFM V0.8). So, what do I do from here? Well, the main problem with playing this way is that there is no sound. Although there is sound code on the sound ROMs on the daughter card, there is also sound code on the game code side. Since I have SWE1 gamecode, the complete sound "ROM" is "corrupt" and the result is a failed sound ROM checksum and no sound. The solution will be to update the SWE1 gamecode to RFM gamecode using a Windows 98 PC. Unfortunately, when I change playfields and daughter cards back to SWE1, I will have to reprogram the gamecode with the Windows 98 PC every time I want to swap.

#3 7 years ago

Oh yes, the harness for the launch button in a SWE1 machine is wire tied to the right flipper harness. It is 4 wires bound together that are not connected to anything. Just cut the wire tie and plug them into the launch button. See the switch matrix in the owners manual for the correct two wires to hook to the switch. The other two go to the lamp inside the launch button.

#4 7 years ago

So, was this a "prototype" ROM? No, if you see V0.8 on your machine then you have corrupt game code on your prism card. You need to update the gamecode software. You can find the game code and Windows 98 PC software at: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/pin2000/manager.html

#5 7 years ago

http://pinball2000.de for lots of info
if you have questions you can ask owner of site Martin Wiest real friendly guy!

#6 7 years ago

Just popped in to say my game came with version 0.1 but is now running version 1.6. There really isn't much of an interest in the older code that I can tell but the good news is when you update you aren't overwriting the ROM, just patching it so your 0.8 code will live as long as your ROMs do.

Also here is some more info on the launch button wiring:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/oMWUYcMdXfM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 85.00
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototype-revenge-from-mars-rom-v08 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.