Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by IVPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

Morning! The auto plunger of my Getaway doesn't work. When activated in solenoid test you can hear a faint repeating buzz sound and the plunger moves about a millimeter. I've gone back and forth with a few very knowledgeable and generous pinball people on FB, but I haven't been able to solve it yet. I'm hoping someone here might have the golden tip. Here's the list of things I've done and discovered so far:
* Plunger moves freely
* Plunger fires properly when grounding Q52
* Plunger fires properly when grounding the coil
* It's a prototype Getaway, which doesn't have a high current driver board
* Fuse F102 is good
* There is continuity with both wires on the coil
* Voltage at the coil is 75
* The driver board was put in another Getaway and the plunger worked
* The shooter lane switch registers in switch test
* The gear shift switches register in switch test
* A factory reset made no difference

Any other ideas? MPU?

#2 9 months ago

On FB I suggested to replace Q52 because the proto doesn't have the extra "High Current Driver" where the standard Getaway does.
That might be the difference for not firing the coil in the proto.

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from zaza:

On FB I suggested to replace Q52 because the proto doesn't have the extra "High Current Driver" where the standard Getaway does.
That might be the difference for not firing the coil in the proto.

Thank you. It will be a last resort kind of thing to do, as I can't do that myself. With the board working in another Getaway, I'm hoping Q52 isn't the culprit.

#4 9 months ago

You've done your homework!

If grounding the transistor tab pulls the coil in with full strength, you know you have a good coil, good plunger mechanics, good fuse, good power to the coil, good connection to the board and the transistor.

All that is good... in the position of the playfield where you did the 'ground the tab of the transistor' test. If you did this test while the playfield was raised, try doing it again with the playfield in the normal position. Stretched wires, something inappropriately touching can happen sometimes when the playfield is down, but everything works right when the playfield is in raised position.

This is presenting as an impossible problem. The board that tells the transistor to activate is what is indicated... but the board works in another game. This was a very good troubleshooting step... you tested the questionable part in a known good system.

When I have an 'impossible problem' I double down on the basics.

Verify again that grounding the tab of the transistor causes perfect operation of the autolauncher.

It is not my experience that you would get a shortened 'pulse' of activation for the coil because of the ball trough switch, but I'd test it with the ball. Test the shifter switch again. This might be prototype software that reacts to the switches strangely here.

Then there really isn't anything other than the parts on the board that are activating Q52.

I don't think MPU unless other things are also failing, but with the power off, put your thumb on the big square chip and press firmly. Reseat the big short fat ribbon cable between the CPU and the power driver board... these won't be the problem, but it's something I'd do.

After that, I'd replace Q52 with a TIP102 (slightly higher power capacity than the TIP120, or TIP122 that your board likely uses). If there is prior work here, I'd be VERY suspicious of the connections. Predriver to Q52 is possible, rarely it's the other components in this circuit or the chip that tells the transistors what to do.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

#5 9 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

You've done your homework!
If grounding the transistor tab pulls the coil in with full strength, you know you have a good coil, good plunger mechanics, good fuse, good power to the coil, good connection to the board and the transistor.
All that is good... in the position of the playfield where you did the 'ground the tab of the transistor' test. If you did this test while the playfield was raised, try doing it again with the playfield in the normal position. Stretched wires, something inappropriately touching can happen sometimes when the playfield is down, but everything works right when the playfield is in raised position.
This is presenting as an impossible problem. The board that tells the transistor to activate is what is indicated... but the board works in another game. This was a very good troubleshooting step... you tested the questionable part in a known good system.
When I have an 'impossible problem' I double down on the basics.
Verify again that grounding the tab of the transistor causes perfect operation of the autolauncher.
It is not my experience that you would get a shortened 'pulse' of activation for the coil because of the ball trough switch, but I'd test it with the ball. Test the shifter switch again. This might be prototype software that reacts to the switches strangely here.
Then there really isn't anything other than the parts on the board that are activating Q52.
I don't think MPU unless other things are also failing, but with the power off, put your thumb on the big square chip and press firmly. Reseat the big short fat ribbon cable between the CPU and the power driver board... these won't be the problem, but it's something I'd do.
After that, I'd replace Q52 with a TIP102 (slightly higher power capacity than the TIP120, or TIP122 that your board likely uses). If there is prior work here, I'd be VERY suspicious of the connections. Predriver to Q52 is possible, rarely it's the other components in this circuit or the chip that tells the transistors what to do.
Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Wow, thank you for spending the time to write and share all that. I'll follow your steps and see if anything changes.

#6 9 months ago

Unfortunately this hasn't made a difference. When I grounded the tab I put a ball in the shooter lane this time to see if it gives the ball enough pace to go all around to the upper flipper, and it does. I guess I'll have to get someone to replace Q52.

#7 9 months ago

Also check to make sure nothing is shorting together when the playfield is down, i.e. the leaf switch ends for the flipper button, the gear shifter microswitches and the shooter lane coil.

#8 8 months ago

I had Q52 replaced and it works now. Woohoo! Thanks everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bokchito, OK
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 72.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Williamsport, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.