Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Stumpy208
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

video (resized).jpg
under pf (resized).jpg
uncovered ramp (resized).jpg
translite (resized).jpg
sound (resized).jpg
skill (resized).jpg
serial (resized).jpg
rom (resized).jpg
right (resized).jpg
pf (resized).jpg
lockplate (resized).jpg
left (resized).jpg
light panel (resized).jpg
houses (resized).jpg
flipper area (resized).jpg
front (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I recently acquired this prototype BSD. Pics below.
Its actually my third BSD, the previous ones were obviously not as nice and unique as this one. Amazing game, definitely a keeper for me!

I'm looking for some stories about this game. Maybe someone can share some stories about how prototype production went at the time, and maybe what they were planning to do on this game. There are many loose connectors and cut wires which hint about features that never made it to production.

left (resized).jpg
right (resized).jpg
front (resized).jpg
Proto number 4
pf (resized).jpg
SUN easter egg works

I did not notice any differences in the software.
What software version is this?

Some sound effects are different. Especially speech on right ramp shots have some special effect which is not in production.
sound (resized).jpg
flipper area (resized).jpg

There is some strip of metal welded to the castle ramp. Different text on playfield.
center targets (resized).jpg

Green targets.
houses (resized).jpg

Asylum scores 25M
asylum (resized).jpg
castle (resized).jpg

Different VIDEO colors
video (resized).jpg
coffin (resized).jpg
skill (resized).jpg

No metal guard on ramp, instead some posts. You can see through the plastic.
uncovered ramp (resized).jpg

Notes on the lamp board.
light panel (resized).jpg
backbox (resized).jpg
cabinet bottom (resized).jpg

Install 3 balls. The software requires 4.
lockplate (resized).jpg

Red prototype board for game-specific features.
under pf (resized).jpg

(Now I'm going to put some mylar and metal protectors on it)

#2 2 years ago

WOW!! Nicest game ever

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from jrcw:

Some sound effects are different. Especially speech on right ramp shots have some special effect which is not in production.

Aren't these stuff just the code release?

#4 2 years ago

Wow nice bsd

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Aren't these stuff just the code release?

Sounds are on different rom chips than the code itself so I think they are released separately.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from jrcw:

Sounds are on different rom chips than the code itself so I think they are released separately.

So you're saying that you have a sound rom version that no one else does?

#7 2 years ago

That must be this game
There might be some insight in the restoration album although it was done at a time I was mostly offline.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album664

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

That must be this game

Yes it is Very well done!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from jrcw:

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So you're saying that you have a sound rom version that no one else does?

He's running a special software version that was made for IFPA (I have a TZ version for IFPA as well..), and the game currently has P-1 Audio ROMs installed. So, yeah, if the serial number didn't give it away that game's at least an early one.

#10 2 years ago

Nicest BSD i have ever laid eyes on, what a beauty.

#11 2 years ago

Would love to own this one!

#12 2 years ago

I remember playing the first prototype on test at Dennis's Place for Games in Norridge, IL. Playfield art was the same as this one. Standard flippers were used on the test one. The mist worked in the beginning but would never travel across the play field soon after. There wasn't many rom revisions. Played some early Drac's around town in non test locations that still had proto software and they had issues keeping track of balls. The special IFPA software pictured was for the 1993 IFPA World Championships held in Milwaukee, WI which I ended up taking 2nd losing to Rick Stetta. The TZ's from that tourney had an IFPA pic in attract mode on the dmd, Dracula did not. I don't believe the asylum scored 25 mil in any of the versions I played while it was on test like stated on the playfield.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

I don't believe the asylum scored 25 mil

Indeed, the software feels the same as the production version. Asylum scores 5mil and such. The targets don't do anything with 'windows' so castle locks are just as in the production version.

I also noticed the game has trouble keeping track of balls, also sometimes it forgets to load the mist ball after I cleared out all the balls. No problem though, if you know about it you can easily help the game.

I've heard rumors that the houses would be glow-in-the-dark but I have not been able to verify that yet.

Apparently this game was donated to IFPA by Williams
https://www.ifpapinball.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ifpa3.pdf

Quoted from Coyote:

I have a TZ version for IFPA as well

Possibly from the same IFPA event

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from jrcw:

I also noticed the game has trouble keeping track of balls, also sometimes it forgets to load the mist ball after I cleared out all the balls. No problem though, if you know about it you can easily help the game.

mist ball issues are common in the production models as well and not likely a proto type issue. If it don't score/play the same as the production models I wouldn't want it in a home collection. Do you think it's more (or less?) valuable being a non production game? Definitely the nicest condition I've ever seen pics of!

#15 2 years ago

BSD is the number one pin for me and having a high end restored, unique prototype pin is like hitting the jackpot. Its not going to get any better than this in my opinion. It scores and plays the same as the production model. Maybe the production model has a better playfield, but its mainly text and colors. The text and colors are not bad on the prototype, they are just different. The nice thing is that I get to explain almost every difference on this game so it always makes a nice conversation.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from jrcw:

Green targets.

and matching Green inserts

#17 2 years ago

Can you post a game play video? I'd love to hear the right ramp shot speech and effects!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Can you post a game play video? I'd love to hear the right ramp shot speech and effects!

Exactly! Seeing is believing!

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

I remember playing the first prototype on test at Dennis's Place for Games in Norridge, IL. Playfield art was the same as this one. Standard flippers were used on the test one. The mist worked in the beginning but would never travel across the play field soon after. There wasn't many rom revisions. Played some early Drac's around town in non test locations that still had proto software and they had issues keeping track of balls. The special IFPA software pictured was for the 1993 IFPA World Championships held in Milwaukee, WI which I ended up taking 2nd losing to Rick Stetta. The TZ's from that tourney had an IFPA pic in attract mode on the dmd, Dracula did not. I don't believe the asylum scored 25 mil in any of the versions I played while it was on test like stated on the playfield.

Very cool! I have one of those TZs

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Can you post a game play video?

Going to take some time as I need to set up good audio. The effects are subtle.

2 weeks later
#21 2 years ago

Hi, new to the forum and noticed a lot of BSD’s have the detailed/picture instructions cards, does anyone know where I can get some of those instruction cards from?
Thanks

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Stumpy208:

Hi, new to the forum and noticed a lot of BSD’s have the detailed/picture instructions cards, does anyone know where I can get some of those instruction cards from?
Thanks

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/index.htm

#23 2 years ago

Thanks aobrien, will be printing some of those out, cheers

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside