Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mfsrc791
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170425_083635 (resized).jpg
    E1C35EE0-C726-4D6E-9212-2C2D5C336EE7-1382-000004BEF69E3697 (resized).png
    tumblr_ni36aeETRp1rlo1q2o1_1280 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170423_165835562 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Got my very dirty TOM pf squeaky clean and the first patch of wax is currently drying. Didn't even need Novus to clean it, just rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

It scrubbed the dirt off very well, with no ill effects.

It seems it also scrubbed a layer or two of skin off my fingers.

I guess the moral of the story is to wear gloves when working with microfibers.

IMG_20170423_165835562 (resized).jpgIMG_20170423_165835562 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Never had an issue before, it's just a cloth. And it shouldn't be "scrubbing" your fingers if you're holding the rag, unless you're somehow doing it wrong/holding it wrong. Perhaps it was the rubbing alcohol? Hmm...

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Didn't even need Novus to clean it, just rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

I think you're warning people about the wrong half of this equation....

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

I think you're warning people about the wrong half of this equation....

I agree.

Although, towels can sometimes be pretty raunchy

tumblr_ni36aeETRp1rlo1q2o1_1280 (resized).jpgtumblr_ni36aeETRp1rlo1q2o1_1280 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Yeah, I bet this is more due to the alcohol than the cloth.

Your point is still valid though. I was using some Brasso yesterday, washed my hands, and later touched my eye. It felt tingly for 15 minutes.

#6 6 years ago

I think it's more due to the cleaning chemical rather than the cloth itself.

When I used to use acetone for stripping glue off of video game control panels, my fingers would turn white and get all tingly. And I'm still alive.

#7 6 years ago

I pretty much always wear nitrile gloves when working on pins while cleaning, soldering, or working with any sort of chemicals/substances.

#8 6 years ago

Why use a microfiber cloth, your hands are soft as cotton.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanaPinResto:

Not any more

#10 6 years ago

Alcohol will remove the oils in your skin dry your hands if used a lot, skin will start to peel off.

I don't use gloves but I try not to hold the damp part of the cloth.

#11 6 years ago

Huh. I never would have guessed the issue was the alcohol.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Seriously?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

E1C35EE0-C726-4D6E-9212-2C2D5C336EE7-1382-000004BEF69E3697 (resized).pngE1C35EE0-C726-4D6E-9212-2C2D5C336EE7-1382-000004BEF69E3697 (resized).png

#14 6 years ago

Wear gloves when working with any kind of chemical, including household chemicals.

The packs of nitrile gloves at harbor freight are cheap enough to make this not an issue.

#15 6 years ago

Yeaaaaaaaaah. I have been using microfiber towels daily in auto detailing for over 20 years and have never lost skin lol. I have also never lost skin using Isopropyl alcohol, even at it's highest available percentage, now if it's Denatured Alcohol that would be a different story. That stuff is used for fuel and I would never handle it barehanded.

#16 6 years ago

I handle strong alcohol all the time but mines usually in a shot glass.

#17 6 years ago

Some people are susceptible to adverse reactions.

I used acetone servicing printers and that was horrid skin peeling quickly stopped using that though didn't effect my work colleagues.
    They soaked the rag in the stuff.
    I was the first one to start using gloves.

when using alcohol I can feel the oils (skin) getting stripped away.

#18 6 years ago

Never mind.....

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Unless you have a rare allergy to cotton I can pretty much guarantee that your skin reaction was due to the Alcohol and not the Microfiber cloth. Do you also break out when using a towel after you bathe/shower?? If not, it's the chemical you used, the alcohol, that caused the reaction on your fingers.

That would be one hell of a rare cotton allergy since microfiber is polyester.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

That would be one hell of a rare cotton allergy since microfiber is polyester.

....Damn, I stand corrected. I could have sworn that MF cloths were a cotton derivative.......never mind!!

#21 6 years ago

Ya sound like a drunk frat boy...

I didn't think it could be the alcohols fault, it's never the alcohols fault.

#22 6 years ago

I usually don't need sandpaper I just use my dried up hands.

Quoted from PanaPinResto:

20170425_083635 (resized).jpg20170425_083635 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/protip-wear-gloves-when-using-microfiber?hl=ghostthruster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.