lane-mod-9 (resized).jpg
lane-mod-8 (resized).jpg
lane-mod-7 (resized).jpg
lane-mod-6 (resized).jpg
lane-mod-5-1 (resized).jpg
lane-mod-5 (resized).jpg
lane-mod-4-1 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

So, due to the flexing and soft playfields on many of the Deadpools out there and the amount of punishing shots and bricked shots to the lane guide, a number of people have noticed flaking/chipping clear/ink at the entrance to the katana shot where the lane guide is literally scratching the finish and/or ink off the playfield.

Cliff makes a great thin metal protector for the front of the lane guide, but after inspecting the Deadpool here, I don't think it would help completely because the one here had scratching in the clear coat along the curve in the lane guide much further back from the actual entrance from the metal flexing slightly when the ball went by, resulting in a white, powdery line and the beginnings of a deep scratch that probably would go through to the wood if left untreated.

So, the approach I took was to remove the guide (which involves much more parts removal than you'd expect, but is pretty straightforward), clean the three holes with rubbing alcohol and dry with a microfiber cloth, apply mylar rings to the three holes, then put a thin washer on the hole closest to the entrance and put the lane guide back. This raises the lane guide a barely perceptable amount off the playfield, preventing damage at the entrance AND on the curve where it was scratching into the clear on ours from flexing.

I took pictures of most of the steps:

Here's the lane guide, and you can see the white powdery line where the guide has begun scratching into the clear from minute flexing as the ball passes over and over:
lane-mod-1 (resized).jpglane-mod-1 (resized).jpg

Being overly cautious, and having seen some nasty pictures of playfields that stuck to the guide as it was pulled up, I put painters tape around the sides and front of the guide to help keep everything in place when it came time to lift the guide up and hopefully prevent any playfield from pulling up with the guide (as I kept pressure on the taped area with one hand while lifting the guide initially away from the playfield with the other hand when I lifted it off later):
lane-mod-2 (resized).jpglane-mod-2 (resized).jpg

You'll need to remove the pop bumper cap and a small plastic trim piece near the Katana exit because a small post is holding the center part of the lane guide in place:
lane-mod-4-1 (resized).jpglane-mod-4-1 (resized).jpg

I un-plugged connectors and removed this light board on the bottom to make it easier to remove all the nuts holding the guide:
lane-mod-3 (resized).jpglane-mod-3 (resized).jpg

These are the nuts you're looking for:
lane-mod-4 (resized).jpglane-mod-4 (resized).jpg

When you remove the nut for this mini post, you'll need to have a socket on the bottom of the playfield and another deep socket on the post holding it in place or it will just spin and you can't remove it:
lane-mod-4-1 (resized).jpglane-mod-4-1 (resized).jpg

There are two philips screws holding the Katana blade that you need to remove so you can move the Katana blade *slightly* away and let the lane guide come up and out. It's tight, but you can do it without removing the Katana blade entirely:
lane-mod-4-2 (resized).jpglane-mod-4-2 (resized).jpg

Here you can see the leading hole with the lane guide removed - looks pretty good, still:
lane-mod-5 (resized).jpglane-mod-5 (resized).jpg

I used a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol to clean the areas around all three holes and then dried with a microfiber cloth so the mylar rings would have a good surface to adhere to:
lane-mod-5-1 (resized).jpglane-mod-5-1 (resized).jpg

If you look very carefully you can see the mylar ring now installed at the last hole of the lane guide:
lane-mod-6 (resized).jpglane-mod-6 (resized).jpg

And another installed at the middle hole:
lane-mod-7 (resized).jpglane-mod-7 (resized).jpg

And one installed at the hole at the entrance (note that the "support" angled stainless bracket has to be loosened so you can lift it here if you plan to install mylar rings since this one extends under the front edge of it):
lane-mod-8 (resized).jpglane-mod-8 (resized).jpg

Re-install the lane guide, putting a small stainless washer on the front post before setting it in. When you tighten, don't go crazy on this. This picture is the first one I did, and I crushed the thin washer, bending it. You don't want to do that, so watch as you tighten and stop when you start to get resistance so you don't crush the washer:
lane-mod-9 (resized).jpglane-mod-9 (resized).jpg

Don't forget to put the light board back and plug the connectors in again!

All done with this project? Here's a couple other DIY guides I've made for newer Spike machines:

Are LED lights popping out of your spotlights (not just on Spike machines!)? Make sure they never fall out again:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights#post-4402506

Have a Stern machine from KISS or after with the softer wood cabinet? Reinforce it to prevent a splitting cab:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step

Are your Iron Maiden speakers crackling when you crank it up? Fix that with a cheap external amp:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-on-board-amp-with-external-amp-for-iron-maiden

Is your Spike machine occasionally resetting during hectic play, torpedoing your high score runs? This guide to fixing it might be for you:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-stern-reboots-on-spike

Do you have a WoZ ECLE and think it's too loud in a quiet room? Replace two fans and make it almost silent:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quieting-down-a-woz-ecle-machine

And here are some other plug and play mods you can just buy:
Iron Maiden Light Tree Mod for colored mode lights:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-colored-mode-lens-tree-mod

Metallica F-U-E-L lights bracket:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-f-u-e-l-gauge-lens-bracket

ColorDMD gasket for Stern machines with the angled speaker panel:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-gasket-for-angled-stern-speaker-panels

1 week later
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So, due to the flexing and soft playfields on many of the Deadpools out there and the amount of punishing shots and bricked shots to the lane guide, a number of people have noticed flaking/chipping clear/ink at the entrance to the katana shot where the lane guide is literally scratching the finish and/or ink off the playfield.
Cliff makes a great thin metal protector for the front of the lane guide, but after inspecting the Deadpool here, I don't think it would help completely because the one here had scratching in the clear coat along the curve in the lane guide much further back from the actual entrance from the metal flexing slightly when the ball went by, resulting in a white, powdery line and the beginnings of a deep scratch that probably would go through to the wood if left untreated.
So, the approach I took was to remove the guide (which involves much more parts removal than you'd expect, but is pretty straightforward), clean the three holes with rubbing alcohol and dry with a microfiber cloth, apply mylar rings to the three holes, then put a thin washer on the hole closest to the entrance and put the lane guide back. This raises the lane guide a barely perceptable amount off the playfield, preventing damage at the entrance AND on the curve where it was scratching into the clear on ours from flexing.
I took pictures of most of the steps:
Here's the lane guide, and you can see the white powdery line where the guide has begun scratching into the clear from minute flexing as the ball passes over and over:
[quoted image]
Being overly cautious, and having seen some nasty pictures of playfields that stuck to the guide as it was pulled up, I put painters tape around the sides and front of the guide to help keep everything in place when it came time to lift the guide up and hopefully prevent any playfield from pulling up with the guide (as I kept pressure on the taped area with one hand while lifting the guide initially away from the playfield with the other hand when I lifted it off later):
[quoted image]
You'll need to remove the pop bumper cap and a small plastic trim piece near the Katana exit because a small post is holding the center part of the lane guide in place:
[quoted image]
I un-plugged connectors and removed this light board on the bottom to make it easier to remove all the nuts holding the guide:
[quoted image]
These are the nuts you're looking for:
[quoted image]
When you remove the nut for this mini post, you'll need to have a socket on the bottom of the playfield and another deep socket on the post holding it in place or it will just spin and you can't remove it:
[quoted image]
There are two philips screws holding the Katana blade that you need to remove so you can move the Katana blade *slightly* away and let the lane guide come up and out. It's tight, but you can do it without removing the Katana blade entirely:
[quoted image]
Here you can see the leading hole with the lane guide removed - looks pretty good, still:
[quoted image]
I used a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol to clean the areas around all three holes and then dried with a microfiber cloth so the mylar rings would have a good surface to adhere to:
[quoted image]
If you look very carefully you can see the mylar ring now installed at the last hole of the lane guide:
[quoted image]
And another installed at the middle hole:
[quoted image]
And one installed at the hole at the entrance (note that the "support" angled stainless bracket has to be loosened so you can lift it here if you plan to install mylar rings since this one extends under the front edge of it):
[quoted image]
Re-install the lane guide, putting a small stainless washer on the front post before setting it in. When you tighten, don't go crazy on this. This picture is the first one I did, and I crushed the thin washer, bending it. You don't want to do that, so watch as you tighten and stop when you start to get resistance so you don't crush the washer:
[quoted image]
Don't forget to put the light board back and plug the connectors in again!
All done with this project? Here's a couple other DIY guides I've made for newer Spike machines:
Are LED lights popping out of your spotlights (not just on Spike machines!)? Make sure they never fall out again:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights#post-4402506
Have a Stern machine from KISS or after with the softer wood cabinet? Reinforce it to prevent a splitting cab:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step
Are your Iron Maiden speakers crackling when you crank it up? Fix that with a cheap external amp:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-on-board-amp-with-external-amp-for-iron-maiden
Is your Spike machine occasionally resetting during hectic play, torpedoing your high score runs? This guide to fixing it might be for you:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-stern-reboots-on-spike
Do you have a WoZ ECLE and think it's too loud in a quiet room? Replace two fans and make it almost silent:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quieting-down-a-woz-ecle-machine
And here are some other plug and play mods you can just buy:
Iron Maiden Light Tree Mod for colored mode lights:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-colored-mode-lens-tree-mod
Metallica F-U-E-L lights bracket:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-f-u-e-l-gauge-lens-bracket
ColorDMD gasket for Stern machines with the angled speaker panel:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-gasket-for-angled-stern-speaker-panels

Vireland,

Do you have a link that I can procure the Mylar rings? Also, in your pic, the stainless steel washer is protruding causing the ball to make contact with it. Am I missing something?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Vireland,
Do you have a link that I can procure the Mylar rings? Also, in your pic, the stainless steel washer is protruding causing the ball to make contact with it. Am I missing something?

Are you referring to the last picture? If so, the ball definitely will not make contact with it. It would need to be out a lot further for that.

#4 4 years ago

Yes I am. I’ll play a few games and see.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Vireland,

You can make them yourself with a cutter or punch. I also have premade ones in the pinmonk store that I made for clear pooling chip protection on jjPotC, TNA, etc that are the ones I had on hand to use when I did this. If you don't want to make some, you can buy them premade. They're under jjPotC, but they work for any cleared playfield:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/02469-star-and-slim-post-clear-mylar-ring-set

The ball won't contact the washer because it's round, not square. Manually put the ball against the ball guide there and observe. There's a lot more clearance there than you might think.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Vireland,
... Also, in your pic, the stainless steel washer is protruding causing the ball to make contact with it. Am I missing something?

Paint ftw!

super awesome mspaint (resized).pngsuper awesome mspaint (resized).png
#7 4 years ago

What is the size of the washer you used ?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I need to measure and add that detail. I didn't go buy one, it was just the smallest one in my pinball spare parts box that would fit.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I used #8 washers on mine, with 5/32 neoprene washers underneath.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

I used #8 washers on mine, with 5/32 neoprene washers underneath.

Thanks for adding the size! If you do the mylar rings, the neoprene washer is unnecessary.

#11 4 years ago

vireland, which size is it, small or medium? Non sense in buying the $6 ones if you have to pay for shipping.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

vireland, which size is it, small or medium? Non sense in buying the $6 ones if you have to pay for shipping.

I used medium from the ones I made for a little extra coverage. Small would work, but it would JUST cover the washer area and alignment might be a problem to make sure the washer is all on it.

5 months later
#13 3 years ago

Thanks for posting all this! I just did this procedure, took about an hour. For the mylar, if you have a sheet for cutting, you can use a hole punch and then just scissor cut a circle around the holes. May not be laser perfect circles but it's pretty invisible when installed.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Thanks for posting all this! I just did this procedure, took about an hour. For the mylar, if you have a sheet for cutting, you can use a hole punch and then just scissor cut a circle around the holes. May not be laser perfect circles but it's pretty invisible when installed.

Glad to hear another Deadpool is protected. This is pretty much a mandatory tweak to prevent sure damage over time without it.

5 months later
#15 3 years ago

How much chance or/or pull was there of the guide pulling up the paint?

Is it worth putting washers under all the screws for the guide rail so it' s even?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

How much chance or/or pull was there of the guide pulling up the paint?
Is it worth putting washers under all the screws for the guide rail so it' s even?

I put the painter's tape down and kept pressure on it while I lifted the rail to minimize the chances of that, but there's no way to know 100% until you do it.

It wouldn't hurt as long as all the washers were the same height.

#17 3 years ago

Tackled this but had some issues getting the ball guide past the katana blade. I had the screws removed as mentioned but no amount of flexing seemed to give me clearance to get it past the blade. Any advice on getting it past the katana? There's no clearance on mine I'm finding.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Tackled this but had some issues getting the ball guide past the katana blade. I had the screws removed as mentioned but no amount of flexing seemed to give me clearance to get it past the blade. Any advice on getting it past the katana? There's no clearance on mine I'm finding.

If you can't get enough flex you just have to remove the blade. It's not that hard, just a 3 or 4 screws if I remember right.

#19 3 years ago

Do I just remove the black screws on the katana handle and the handle to get at the sword?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Do I just remove the black screws on the katana handle and the handle to get at the sword?

As I remember it, there's a screw near the back corner of the handle and the two screws on the hilt to give you access to two screws on the blade. But that's totally from memory.

1 month later
#21 3 years ago

I took a lazier approach. I had my son 3D print a plastic #8 sized washer with a notch in it. Just loosened the front post, slid the washer in and tightened it up again. Seems to do the job, a lot less work.

633D55C5-17DA-4067-89EE-CDD8BF5A7771 (resized).jpeg633D55C5-17DA-4067-89EE-CDD8BF5A7771 (resized).jpegD974077D-9AEE-46A9-8789-8B6C1A16918E (resized).jpegD974077D-9AEE-46A9-8789-8B6C1A16918E (resized).jpeg
#22 3 years ago
Quoted from pingreg:

I took a lazier approach. I had my son 3D print a plastic #8 sized washer with a notch in it. Just loosened the front post, slid the washer in and tightened it up again. Seems to do the job, a lot less work.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you mylar that entrance where you have damage showing? It's hard to tell, but I can't see mylar protecting it.

3d printed parts are great, but two issues. Not everyone has access to a 3D printer but everyone can get a metal washer. And, I don't know the reaction potential of that filament used over time on the clearcoat. Should be okay, but I would never recommend something I'm not sure of for a broad audience.

#23 3 years ago

Good points @vireland. Just put it in today and didn’t have any Mylar to work with but will do that in the future. I was going to do the full procedure that PinMonk outlined, I had a #8 washer but not a rubber one for under it. So I thought I’d have my son 3D print one instead of making a trip to a hardware store, then thought to notch it and be lazy and only use that. Didn’t want to have any more damage.

It shouldn’t react with the clear coat, often these plastic printed parts are clear coated as well. Use this alternative approach at your own risk. And don’t forget to Mylar, which would also avoid a reaction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.95
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
6,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Papillion, NE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 113.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/protecting-katana-lane-entrance-from-playfield-damage?hl=bent98 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.