Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Before (resized).jpg
After Right (resized).JPG
After Left (resized).JPG
After Front (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GotAQuestion.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I had a question regarding arcade cabinet decals. I built a mini-cabinet last year and applied the art to the cabinet. The printer undersized it slightly, but I wasn't overly concerned about that. It was a good first DIY project and a little visual defect was more or less okay.

Well a year later, the decals have shrunk more, bubbled, and moved. This sucks and actually is a huge concern because it looks like garbage. I added a before picture, and then three after pics. *Edit: The before got sorted to the end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want to reprint the decals (probably with a new company) and this time I want to either seal or protect them so they can't shrink/move/etc.

My questions are:

1) Should I protect the decals by putting a thin sheet of plexi over the top (probably screw it into the cabinet and put caps on the screws) OR could I use the same stuff that clearcoats playfields to protect this? I want to make absolutely sure the next set cannot move whatsoever.

2) Can anyone recommend a decal type and company to go through? These were vinyl decals with 3M adhesive backing and well... I'm less than happy with the results.

After Front (resized).JPGAfter Front (resized).JPG
After Left (resized).JPGAfter Left (resized).JPG
After Right (resized).JPGAfter Right (resized).JPG
Before (resized).jpgBefore (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Bump so maybe people will see through their lunches.

#5 7 years ago

I sanded the sides to 400 grit and then painted it with an oil primer and two coats of the black paint which was acrylic latex, after looking the product up online.

#8 7 years ago

Ohhhhhhh THATS what that PM was! Thought it was about a playfield. But thank you, also good to know for this project haha

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GotAQuestion.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/protecting-arcade-cabinet-decals?tu=GotAQuestion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.