3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by GotAQuestion
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Before (resized).jpg
After Right (resized).JPG
After Left (resized).JPG
After Front (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

I had a question regarding arcade cabinet decals. I built a mini-cabinet last year and applied the art to the cabinet. The printer undersized it slightly, but I wasn't overly concerned about that. It was a good first DIY project and a little visual defect was more or less okay.

Well a year later, the decals have shrunk more, bubbled, and moved. This sucks and actually is a huge concern because it looks like garbage. I added a before picture, and then three after pics. *Edit: The before got sorted to the end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want to reprint the decals (probably with a new company) and this time I want to either seal or protect them so they can't shrink/move/etc.

My questions are:

1) Should I protect the decals by putting a thin sheet of plexi over the top (probably screw it into the cabinet and put caps on the screws) OR could I use the same stuff that clearcoats playfields to protect this? I want to make absolutely sure the next set cannot move whatsoever.

2) Can anyone recommend a decal type and company to go through? These were vinyl decals with 3M adhesive backing and well... I'm less than happy with the results.

After Front (resized).JPG
After Left (resized).JPG
After Right (resized).JPG
Before (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Bump so maybe people will see through their lunches.

#3 3 years ago

I use a UV protective laminate on the artwork i have made. From the pictures i think it was more of the surface of the cabinet not being prepped properly.

#4 3 years ago

Yeah often it comes down to the type of surface you are applying to and the quality of the decal/adhesive.

If you can, you should paint the sides with an oil based enamel paint, this has made a big difference in my experiance

#5 3 years ago

I sanded the sides to 400 grit and then painted it with an oil primer and two coats of the black paint which was acrylic latex, after looking the product up online.

#6 3 years ago

I always use Game On Graphix (http://www.gameongrafix.com/) for my arcade artwork (sideart, control panel overlays, translight).

#7 3 years ago

I can help you with your graphics...Been printing for the community for years now. Here are my threads with examples. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=134866.0

PM was sent to you.

#8 3 years ago

Ohhhhhhh THATS what that PM was! Thought it was about a playfield. But thank you, also good to know for this project haha

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
$ 9.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
€ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
€ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 15.00
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 22.50
$ 109.00
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 32.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 7.95
$ 89.99
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside