(Topic ID: 2839)

Pros/Cons Imported Machines

By wesperron

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LW3_US.JPG
    Police_Force_Europe.JPG
    WWF_Europe.JPG
    ID4_Europe.JPG
    Xenon_Europe.JPG
    Centaur_Europe.JPG
    #1 13 years ago

What are the pros and cons of buying a machine , here in the US, that was made in Germany?

In the past I bought a Party Zone that was built in Germany but the seller did not mention it before. I got a good price on it but when I tried to reset the facory reset it went to German...that is when I knew. So I had to learn German to get it back to English.
    Other than that the machine works great and have had no problems with it.

Any input would be helpful.

#2 13 years ago

I don't think your PZ was made in Germany. It was made here, shipped to Europe then shipped back.

Reimports can be just fine, its all about condition. I just wouldn't suggest buying any machine sight unseen.

#3 13 years ago

Why would the factory resets be in German if the Game was made in the US?

I hear that the coin door is different on Imported machines..Is this true?
    Is that the only way to tell if a machine has been imported by just looking at it?

#4 13 years ago

There's jumpers on the CPU board that configure the default language, that's why it always resets back to German when you restore it. The pinrepair.com site has more info...

http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index1.htm (do a find for "default language" to get to the section with the right info)

#5 13 years ago

Your game was produced at the US factory for export to Germany. Most re-imports will have a different coin door, but I hear the ones that went to Mexico had the US coin door.

Here's some more good info:

http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index3.htm#convert

#6 13 years ago

Here's a recent discussion on re-imports:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-cons-to-buying-a-re-import#post-21030

Basically, any full sized pinball machine other than Zaccaria was made in the US. Specifically, Chicago.

#7 13 years ago

My STTNG is a re-import. Other than the coin door, you would never know it without lifting up the playfield and looking at the electrical system. The machine is in great cosmetic and mechanical condition, so it just goes to show that there is nothing inherently bad about a re-imported machine. I know sellers will often mention that a game is NOT a re-import, and I think they are merely playing off the common misconception that re-imports are somehow inferior. The bottom line is that you should always judge each pin on case by case basis.

#8 13 years ago

This is all second hand information, so don't shoot the messenger!

I heard imports were abused more and more prone to wiring hacks.....

#9 13 years ago

I heard imports were abused more and more prone to wiring hacks

Thats why you need to look the game over before buying. I've found hacks on domestic games and reimports alike.

#10 13 years ago

I'm looking at one this weekend which I suspect may be a re-import because of the single coin slot. It looks pretty clean in the pics, and I'm told it's very nice throughout. Looking forward to checking it out in person, because it's one I really want!

#11 13 years ago

I don't believe it was anyone's intention to shoot the messenger in this conversation...

#12 13 years ago

My Centaur was a re-import also. When I dug into it and realy started cleaning it out, I found a bunch of tokens inside with German writing on it. I looked it up on the internet and had it translated. It was for a coin laundry. I also found some old Score / Instruction cards inside the cabinet that were in German.

I saved the tokens. Still have them in a bag somewhere.

G

#13 13 years ago

Don't let that word sway you away... Reimport vs. domestic to me ====== I don't give a rats bottom end where it's been as long as it's a solid machine.. I've heard all the reimport hype and it all comes down to the bottom line = what condition is it in???? I've seen reimports that would make a domestic look like an 80yr old hooker!!!!

#14 13 years ago

I've seen reimports that would make a domestic look like an 80yr old hooker!!!!

I hate to see what a 80 year old hooker looks like!

#15 13 years ago

thanks guys you've all been very helpful. I wanted to know what collectors thought and you answered it perfectly....even the part about the 80 Year Old hooker. I got one here I'm trying to sell...... A reimport not the hooker.

Thanks.

#16 13 years ago

It's the same thing with HUO. Just because it is HUO doesn't mean it is in great shape. I've seen routed pins that were in phenomenal condition and HUO pins that were not well cared for at all.

#17 13 years ago

Is a HUO hooker better that a re-imported hooker?

#18 13 years ago

Is a HUO hooker better that a re-imported hooker?

Depends alot on the home the hooker was in, what the hooker looks like, where the hooker was re-imported from etc. etc.

#19 13 years ago

Does it matter how much home use the hooker got? Needs a little cleaning and waxing on where you put the quarters in!!!

#20 13 years ago

If you are dealing with a re-import hooker, I highly recommend using those little condom things that go over the bulbs.

#21 13 years ago

Half (5 of 10) of my machines were actually purchased by me in Europe. Actually 7 of 10 were bought in Europe but 2 were US spec on a US base. I did a lot of research before I brought them back. The only thing I could find that was different was the wiring on teh power transformer. It is the same one, just swap a couple wires around. That is what I did when I brought them back. I have taken pictures of the coin doors to post on the imports. I think the metal stamped part of the door is the same on the machines, it just has holes in different places for different coin mechs. I may be wrong, just what it looks like to me. Study the pics for yourselves.

I do second the thoughts on pruchasing sight unseen. My ID4 was purchased from mainland Europe when I was in England. I just send the money and had it shipped based on pics. I do not think I will do that again. Everybody has a different idea of what "shopped" for "mint" or "90%" means.

Centaur_Europe.JPGCentaur_Europe.JPG Xenon_Europe.JPGXenon_Europe.JPG

#22 13 years ago

If Europe is in the file name, That is where I bought the machine. The white labels on some of the doors are the key number that opens that door. Makes it easier to find the correct key for the machine.

ID4_Europe.JPGID4_Europe.JPG WWF_Europe.JPGWWF_Europe.JPG

#23 13 years ago

The four previous pics were European machines. Police Force was from England and LW3 is a US machine. You can see that the basic metal is the same on many of the machines. Looking at the pics, I really need to get my Centaur and Xenon rebuilt.

Police_Force_Europe.JPGPolice_Force_Europe.JPG LW3_US.JPGLW3_US.JPG

4 months later
    #24 12 years ago

Hi, Guys.. I know this is an old thread but fingers crossed you can help me.

I stupidly factory reset my The Getaway: HS 2. The machine was originally in German, then to English.. but after the factory reset it's now back to German.

Any ideas how to get it back to the Queens language (English)?

Thanks in-advanced.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proscons-imported-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.