nomonkey.jpg
Chimper.jpg
cflipper.jpeg
SAup.jpg
No-Wrinkle-Protectors.jpg
20150310_070404.jpg
HF moving blanket.gif
2014-10-17 10.44.23.jpg

There are 362 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

I still think the way he set up Centipede to be able to play forever was even more amazing.

Is this the trick where they setup mushroom columns on the sides to capture all the incoming heads, then just hunt spiders?

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Is this the trick where they setup mushroom columns on the sides to capture all the incoming heads, then just hunt spiders?

No. On the first level, he shot all the active moving Centipedes except one. Then as the game sent out more Centipedes from the bottom, he carefully shot them at the far left and right sides. That effectively built up a wall, so when more enemies were released from the bottom, they were not able to travel across the screen so the bottom area was completely clean and no worries about more being released. From there, he cleared out all the dead Centipede bodies in the top area except the very middle. The middle is where new lines of Centipedes come out at the start of a level. As the new line came out, he shot them only in the middle. Slowly, that built a colum of dead Centipedes one space wide, with dead Centipedes up and down the screen. The rest of the screen was blank. From there, you just sat in the middle and held down fire, as the game would send down new lines of Centipedes, and they'd only be able to go down the middle. I'm sure this isn't making much sense. There has to be a youtube video of it. Looks totally strange to see a Centipede screen that is blank except for two single columns, one space apart. The owner of the game thought his game was broken.

Joe

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

From there, you just sat in the middle and held down fire, as the game would send down new lines of Centipedes, and they'd only be able to go down the middle. I'm sure this isn't making much sense. There has to be a youtube video of it. Looks totally strange to see a Centipede screen that is blank except for two single columns, one space apart. The owner of the game thought his game was broken.
Joe

I think I know what you're saying. He used the trick I originally mentioned (bottling up the incoming overflow heads on the bottom) long enough to build the center funnel. The original trick isn't permanent because of the spider wiping out stuff at the edges, but once the center funnel is constructed it's out of range of the spider. Scorpions and fleas can't affect a vertical shroom structure. Will have to try this trick sometime

#204 9 years ago

I wanted to bring a game or two to Allentown this year but I'm not able to take off that Friday because of month end work obligations. I live about an hour away could bring the games Thursday night but wouldn't be able to make it back until Friday night or Saturday morning. Would I be asking for trouble leaving the games there unattended? I'm open to suggestions/advice on how to make this work as I've been to enough shows without bringing game yet so feel its only fair to step-up to the plate and bring some myself. Thanks

#205 9 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

I wanted to bring a game or two to Allentown this year but I'm not able to take off that Friday because of month end work obligations. I live about an hour away could bring the games Thursday night but wouldn't be able to make it back until Friday night or Saturday morning. Would I be asking for trouble leaving the games there unattended? I'm open to suggestions/advice on how to make this work as I've been to enough shows without bringing game yet so feel its only fair to step-up to the plate and bring some myself. Thanks

I have done this. Do you know anyone going to the show? I have set up Thursday without being there on Friday. my collector friend is usually there during the times I am not and keeps tabs on my stuff, but I personally have never had an issue. Typically I put my info and cell # on the game so if there is a problem they can notify me. Other times I have left the keys with a friend who was at the show.

Last year I set up my LOTR on Thursday and it promptly broke a fork switch early Friday morning. That is a risk that you have to decide if you're willing to take. For me, it's worth it, even though the LOTR was down all of Friday. Sat morning we fixed it up and it got played all day. I also tell the show organizers that I won't be there so if they see a game wandering out, they might take notice.

Chris

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Long story long, we caught a guy swapping parts from his games.

This ailment seems to be contagious

#207 9 years ago

Pros:

.Meet other collectors from your area on setup, and tear-down days

.Build friendship with other collectors and players, during setup, since they are who is in the room. not a mixture of customers and collectors

.Schedule meals with other collectors, enjoy food with them, and build your personal pinball network

.Bring tools, such as lock picks to help other collectors when in need, and in turn, you may need a hand too

.Share your game, with others during setup, when the room is not hammered, and you can have a conversation without shouting

I have met a lot of 'casual' show goers who really don't know that many collectors in their back yard. Bring your games a few times, and your name gets out there.

You don't need to have 10 acres, a 5,000+ square feet of storage, to make pinball friends.

con:
yes, there are risk to your toys being broken.

#208 9 years ago

I'm lending games to a local tournament this summer, including my prize-possession AFM, which is fully restored with all original NOS parts and has a Bill Davis clearcoated playfield. However, I won't let them borrow my TRON:LE, because I bought that NIB and it's never left my house or been broken down since I set it up.

The rest of my games are used and less than perfect - even AFM! - so the increased risk of another nick, scratch, or some other problem doesn't bother me on those. But I won't risk my perfect condition TRON:LE to chimp-flipping and spilled beers, which is even more likely at an open tournament than a show.

It's all about your personal risk tolerance versus wanting to help the hobby.

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have done this. Do you know anyone going to the show? I have set up Thursday without being there on Friday. my collector friend is usually there during the times I am not and keeps tabs on my stuff, but I personally have never had an issue. Typically I put my info and cell # on the game so if there is a problem they can notify me. Other times I have left the keys with a friend who was at the show.
Last year I set up my LOTR on Thursday and it promptly broke a fork switch early Friday morning. That is a risk that you have to decide if you're willing to take. For me, it's worth it, even though the LOTR was down all of Friday. Sat morning we fixed it up and it got played all day. I also tell the show organizers that I won't be there so if they see a game wandering out, they might take notice.
Chris

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone going on Friday otherwise I'd leave it in their good hands as you suggested. I'm assuming the organizers probably don't want that responsibility either, correct? If anyone from Pinside would like to "babysit" please let me know.

I'm much less concerned about something breaking than I am about swapped or stolen parts or something even more nefarious as the entire game(s) walking (as you mentioned) . I'm considering bringing either WH2O or TZ (or both) and between the mods and toppers on both there's plenty that worries me. I accept and would almost expect something to break, and I have no problem with that, but I would be kicking myself big-time if I showed up Friday night/Sat morning to finds parts clipped or swapped or the entire game(s) missing!

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

chimp-flipping

Chimp flipping does not hurt the game at all.

Kids at Chucky Cheese will sometimes chimp flip for 15 minutes straight before they lose interest or figure out how to launch the ball.

Nothing breaks, nothing overheats, nothing happens at all.

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nothing breaks, nothing overheats, nothing happens at all.

Pinsiders overheat

#212 9 years ago

Vid you're just wrong. I get service calls for flippers a lot from chimp flipping parents. Usually what happens is it breaks the hold winding off the flipper coil lug, then the flipper machine guns, and then the coil melts (or blows a fuse). Very common on 1978-1985 Bally and stern games. Also it breaks plunger links. Also it breaks eos switches. All these things happen and happen a lot at chimp flipping homes.

Flippers only get so many pulls before they break. Chimpers accelerate the breakage much faster. That is a fact. So yea, you're just wrong (again).

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Vid you're just wrong. I get service calls for flippers a lot from chimp flipping parents. Usually what happens is it breaks the hold winding off the flipper coil lug, then the flipper machine guns, and then the coil melts (or blows a fuse). Very common on 1978-1985 Bally and stern games. Also it breaks plunger links. Also it breaks eos switches. All these things happen and happen a lot at chimp flipping homes.
Flippers only get so many pulls before they break. Chimpers accelerate the breakage much faster. That is a fact. So yea, you're just wrong (again).

But that's just normal wear, accelerated sure but worn flippers well happen if you play any game.

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Usually what happens is it breaks the hold winding off the flipper coil lug,

Unsolder the wire. Put heat shrink tubing on it. Solder the wire back on. Slide the heat shrink tubing over the wire/coil lug. Heat/shrink it.

End of breaking off.

LTG : )™

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

chimp-flipping

cflipper.jpegcflipper.jpeg

#216 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Clay, you are super funny, in your own odd way.

Chimp flipping homes????

I fix melted coils and broken windings all the time for customers. Single guys, bars, bowling centers, old folks homes - but never a chimp flipping home.

I've even had coils melt in my own, very not chimpy, home. Ohhh, imagine that!!!!!

It's pinball. Coils break, EOS switches break, windings break.

I used to route games in 24 hour locations. It's many millions of flipper activations before they break.

A game getting a few minutes of your chimp flipping at a show is not going to cause any appreciable wear.

-

Every once in a while I stand up for you when people are badmouthing you, and it's true when I tell them that although 3/4 of what you post has an ulterior motive, at least you are obvious.

#217 9 years ago

Pro: bringing a game for others to enjoy
Con: having to explain why this is a good thing

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I believe this is true. Is there some sort of online repair guide on how to fix pinball machines?

Chris

#219 9 years ago

When i do calls i ask how the game went down. and i get a large percentage of "kids playing" as the response. Then i describe chimp flipping and they are like, "oh yea, that's exactly what they were doing." So yea is correlation related to causation? i would say in this case, yes.

Here's the other thing that happens a lot from chimp flipping... a blown fuse. Now why does that happen? well fuses are designed as the weakest link in the chain. and when chimp flipping the initial power surge is hard on fuses. This is why they use slow-blow fuses in this circuit. But depending on the gap on the EOS switch, chimp flipping can really put a strain on a fuse (especially as timed fuses age, they are more prone to stress failure). This is a case where regardless of the flip-o-meter on the parts, chimp flipping can blow a fuse (where standard play would have not stressed the fuse to blowing.)

With a blown coil fuse, this makes the game non-playable. Hence a service call. And on some games, a blown coil fuse won't even allow the game to boot (stern/bally 1978-1985).

So saying that chimp flipping is Ok, the games are designed for this, is not true. Will it break every game? No. but why put this kind of stress and wear on a game? Especially an older game. Chimp flipping is preventable with a minute of education to the players. This is why my ears are trained to hear it, and then react to correct the issue before it becomes a problem. I also try and educate my peoples on chimp flipping, and it has dramatically cut down on silly repairs (game breakage during birthday parties is a real buzz kill.)

But to bring that around to newer games, i can give another example. We have a Stern Iron Man. Bought it brand new. And after kids play it (if i'm not watching), i have to replace the MosFET that drives the right flipper. I've done it 5 times! Why does this keep happening? Chimp flippers. Now to be honest that one flipper coil is a Pinball Life LOTR coil, so it is more powerful. But the point is the same. Chimp flipping causes repairs.

I'm sorry but my real world experience shows these facts. Chimp flipping is not good for a game.

On to Lloyd's idea about the heat shrink tubing over the coil lugs. Sorry Lloyd, but this may help but it does not solve the problem. In fact i think it makes things worse. Why? Because it hides the junction of the wire-to-lug. It makes it look like the wire is attached, when it's not. So problems are harder to identify (especially for newbies.) The other thing it does is create a situation where a coil can become intermittent. This happens because the wire still breaks off from the lug, but the heat shrink tubing keeps it more-or-less in place. So now the wire arcs as ground is sunk. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. So now you have a weird situation where sometimes the coil works and sometimes it doesn't. This makes diagnostics more difficult for newbie and even moderately experience repair people. So i do NOT suggest using heat shrink tubing on coil lugs because of this! The "ah look the wire is broken from the coil lug" dope slap of the visual really helps newbies fix their games.

I have no motive is bring these ideas to light. if you bring a game to a show that's all fine and dandy. it has zero impact on anything i do. my point is this... there are things that can happen. they weren't being mentioned, so i mentioned it. that's it. if any show has 10 or 1000 machines it makes no difference to my situation. this isn't a competition between venues. (our show has limited tickets and does sell out, so we are not pushing the numbers to get more people.) i just think when show promoters come on here begging for games and they don't give all sides of the story, that is maybe disingenuous. I think people need to be prepared. have a good knowledge base of what may or may not happen, and be prepared for it. We ask for games to be brought to our show too. But I just want people to be prepared. Realistic expectations and all. Because bad things can happen if you're not ready for them.

Another good idea when bring a game to a show is to have a "care package" inside the machine. this would include some flipper parts, fuses of varying sizes, maybe a couple rubbers, and a soldering iron. Just throw it in the coin box and it's there. that way when the chimp flippers attack, you are ready to resolve any issue easily and quickly. Because finding a 3 amp slow blow fuse at a show sometimes isn't the easiest thing to do. Especially if you're frustrated at the time that your baby isn't working.

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I'm sorry but my real world experience shows these facts. Chimp flipping is not good for a game.

Then perhaps your website should not encourage people to "Be a Pin Monkey"

Chris

#221 9 years ago

Somebody needs to make a sign.....No Chimp Flipping.
I totally want one

#222 9 years ago

I'm in with that sign!

#223 9 years ago

It sounds like flipperless games may be the way to go.

#224 9 years ago

Decided I couldn't loan my games after going to a show and seeing a dude shake a Black Hole machine with a stuck ball so hard you could hear the wood tweaking above the noise of the entire arcade. Sure, someone working the show (from the other side of the room mind you! it was LOUD!) went and yelled at him, eventually, but man screw that.

#225 9 years ago

Pros - Bring a pin for people to play / maybe get someone new into the hobby because you got their attention, some times free admissions to the function.

Cons - worrying the whole show something bad is going to happen

personal note

I have brought a few games to shows over the years with no real issues.

Twilight Zone & LOTR to Rochester Game room Show
Cactus Canyon to Allentown Pin Festival

stuck ball, someone powered game off, minor stuff

People are grateful to play a rare bird only seen on the net

their are pinball enthusiasts running a pinball show, if something is not right or they see someone being abusive to a machine they usually step in..

hell even other players and collectors step in

just my two .02

#226 9 years ago

Chimp-flipping leads to premature flipper breakdown.
Nudging leads to premature rubber and plastic breakdown.
Leaving the game on causes heat and leads to premature backglass breakdown.
Leaving games on leads to premature G.I. connector breakdown.
Playing the game leads to premature mechanical breakdowns.

#227 9 years ago

Bring a Players Game, don't bring a Proto worth 12k or your perfect Gottlieb Spirit unless you are ready to take some scratches and dings. Get a great playing but maybe a little worn game and bring it. It's fun to contribute. If you bring a game with a little road wear you won't be stressing about it all weekend either which can really take away from the fun! Don't however bring a beater that plays like shit just because you don't care about it! We don't need games that play sub par taking up space! Some bare wood on the playfield no problem if it plays nice! Totally faded cab no problem as long as those slings sling like they were meant to and the flippers can reach all the places they need to then that's all that matters! I try to bring a pretty nice game that plays well and am not afraid to bring even one of my nicer games but not if they don't already have a few character dings... That way I don't freak when I get home with a few more scratches... All that being said by all means bring your sample TZ to the MGC! Will love to see it and I won't beat on it! And if I see someoone doing so I'll set them straight! See you there! The people that bring games kind of watch everyone elses games to so there will always be people around that got your back patrolling the arcade floor...

Tom

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

When i do calls i ask how the game went down. and i get a large percentage of "kids playing" as the response. Then i describe chimp flipping and they are like, "oh yea, that's exactly what they were doing." So yea is correlation related to causation? i would say in this case, yes.

Here's the other thing that happens a lot from chimp flipping... a blown fuse. Now why does that happen? well fuses are designed as the weakest link in the chain. and when chimp flipping the initial power surge is hard on fuses. This is why they use slow-blow fuses in this circuit. But depending on the gap on the EOS switch, chimp flipping can really put a strain on a fuse (especially as timed fuses age, they are more prone to stress failure). This is a case where regardless of the flip-o-meter on the parts, chimp flipping can blow a fuse (where standard play would have not stressed the fuse to blowing.)

With a blown coil fuse, this makes the game non-playable. Hence a service call. And on some games, a blown coil fuse won't even allow the game to boot (stern/bally 1978-1985).

So saying that chimp flipping is Ok, the games are designed for this, is not true. Will it break every game? No. but why put this kind of stress and wear on a game? Especially an older game. Chimp flipping is preventable with a minute of education to the players. This is why my ears are trained to hear it, and then react to correct the issue before it becomes a problem. I also try and educate my peoples on chimp flipping, and it has dramatically cut down on silly repairs (game breakage during birthday parties is a real buzz kill.)

Clay, you are working yourself up into a tizzy again, over something that is not even an actual problem.

So a little kid flips the flippers for a couple of minutes, who cares?

1. In a few minutes, a parent will come collect the kid.

2. Someone will pass by and launch the ball for the kid.

3. In a few minutes the kid will get bored and move along.

4. If they are too little, they won't know how to start the game. Hell, I see broads that can't find the start button on a classic Bally all the time (I know Clay, you are going to say that you service Chimp Flipping Homes where the kids wore the springs out of the flipper buttons).

-There just aren't that many LITTLE kids at a show to matter anyway.

-

If it were an actual problem, by Sunday, the show floor would be littered with the carcases of games, their coils melted, their solenoid fuses blown, their flipper springs shattered from a 4 year old's vicious tappings - a friggin' pinball apocalypse.

Chimper.jpgChimper.jpg
#229 9 years ago

nomonkey.jpgnomonkey.jpg

#230 9 years ago

These games were designed to be used in a commercial environment. Get them out there and share them with the world. Your house is not their natural environment... in a place with lots of strangers is.

#231 9 years ago

I know this is a heated topic.
If you want to bring a pin, that is your prerogative.
I wouldn't bring a pin because the general public has too many hoosiers.
People on Pinside would be great with a pin, but Joe Public wouldn't treat your game kindly.
Joe Public isn't going to treat your property with respect because he or she doesn't own it.
They would break your machine, and walk away/blend in with the crowd.
Liability is on you.
Parents let their kids do anything in a public arena.
If you yell at their kid for being obnoxious, some parents might get aggressive with you.
A good example of poor Joe Public behavior is a public restroom.
Joe Public does things in a public restroom that he or she wouldn't do in their bathroom at home.
I think pin conventions should be like car shows.
You can look and talk about the car, but I guarantee no one drives the car.
If you are selling a pin, potential customers should get to play it.
Family, friends, and myself are the only people allowed to play my games.
You can call me selfish, but I don't have a high opinion for Joe Public.
I can make friends without allowing Joe Public to use my games.
My 2 cents...

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from Dis_Pinballer:

I know this is a heated topic.
If you want to bring a pin, that is your prerogative.
People on Pinside would be great with a pin, but Joe Public wouldn't treat your game kindly.
Joe Public isn't going to treat your property with respect because he or she doesn't own it.
They would break your machine, and walk away/blend in with the crowd.
Liability is on you.
Parents let their kids do anything in a public arena.
If you yell at their kid for being obnoxious, some parents might get aggressive with you.
A good example of poor Joe Public behavior is a public restroom.
Joe Public does things in a public restroom that he or she wouldn't do in their bathroom at home.
I think pin conventions should be like car shows.
You can look and talk about the car, but I guarantee no one drives the car.
If you are selling a pin, potential customers should get to play it.
Family, friends, and myself are the only people allowed to play my games.
You can call me selfish, but I don't have a high opinion for Joe Public.
I can make friends without allowing Joe Public to use my games.
My 2 cents...

Out of curiosity, do you go to shows? If you do, do you play the machines there?

Chris

#233 9 years ago

When Project Pinball restored a SM for a Children's Hospital, it had some interesting audits with 59,664 balls played, and 1,437,626 right flipper hits before the right flipper broke down (the left was still functional). As 2 of the 3 pop bumpers were found broken, I wonder which died first, the flipper or the pop bumpers?

You can imagine this game was subject to chimp flipping more than most, so if a flipper can stand 1.4M chimp flips before it breaks, I don't think anyone needs to worry what will happen over a weekend show. Games were meant to be played.

#234 9 years ago

Joe Public does not go to pinball shows.

Joe Public won't put a $1.50 in a pinball machine at the bar, let alone pay $25 to get in a show, lol.

Hoosiers.jpgHoosiers.jpg
#235 9 years ago

After reading all this I'm going to bring 2 to TPF. IM VE for sale, ST Pro is not, both are in great shape only 6 months old. My hope is that others would watch out for mine as I would for theirs. I watched a kid set his coke can on the glass of a POTC last year and I walked up to him, grabbed it, and set it in the cup holder. He looked at me but said nothing and then started his game. I hope others would do the same.

#236 9 years ago
Quoted from halpain24:

After reading all this I'm going to bring 2 to TPF. IM VE for sale, ST Pro is not, both are in great shape only 6 months old. My hope is that others would watch out for mine as I would for theirs. I watched a kid set his coke can on the glass of a POTC last year and I walked up to him, grabbed it, and set it in the cup holder. He looked at me but said nothing and then started his game. I hope others would do the same.

Your games will be fine. Good call.

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

These games were designed to be used in a commercial environment. Get them out there and share them with the world. Your house is not their natural environment... in a place with lots of strangers is.

Cars can be used for commercial purposes.
Are you going to loan your car to people at the show?

#238 9 years ago

I'm seriously thinking about making a Chimp Flipper shirt for this year's MGC.

By the way, I heard about a guy who went to a show where you couldn't bring pinball machines, and suddenly he realized that he was at a baseball fan show! True story! It ended up he wasn't at a pinball show at all. Crazy, but it's something you have to watch for when going to a machine where you're not taking machines.

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Joe Public does not go to pinball shows.
Joe Public won't put a $1.50 in a pinball machine at the bar, let alone pay $25 to get in a show, lol.

Hoosiers.jpg

Any show open to the public has unsavory people.
Car, home and garden, comic con, or pinball show.
People pay money to attend all kinds of shows, and the general public can be awful.
People pay a lot to see a movie, and yet rude and ignorant people can be disruptive in the theater.
The general public is a mixed bag, and unsavory people are always in the mix.

#240 9 years ago

Cars can be used for commercial purposes.
Are you going to loan your car to people at the show?

Cars are personal... like underwear.

Pinball machines are like vending machines. Sure, you could put one on your house but it will never reach its full potential.

Then again, I know a rich guy who has an ATM in his game room. Its real.. it works. He put it there so people cant say "I dont have any cash" when he made bets against them. Some people are crazy.

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Out of curiosity, do you go to shows? If you do, do you play the machines there?
Chris

I don't play games owned by collectors.
I look at the pins, and talk to people.
If the pin broke while I was playing it, I would feel really bad.
I play pins brought by dealers, stores, and pinball manufacturers.
Sales is their bread and butter.
You aren't going to convince me to bring pins.
General public always has unsavory people.
I spoke my opinion, but you are free to bring an armada of pins for strangers.
This thread is supposed to show both sides of the coin.
If a pinball is damaged, liability is put on you.

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Pinball machines are like vending machines. Sure, you could put one on your house but it will never reach its full potential.
Then again, I know a rich guy who has an ATM in his game room. Its real.. it works. He put it there so people cant say "I dont have any cash" when he made bets against them. Some people are crazy.

Pinballs are personal.
Some cost about $20,000.
I don't charge family and friends to play my machines.
I don't trust the general public with my games.
The show isn't going to insure my games.
If something happens to a pin, the owner eats the liability.
Theft, damage, and swapped or stolen parts.
Why take the chance...
It is my opinion, but people are free to bring pins.

#244 9 years ago

Theft, damage, and swapped or stolen parts.

do you have examples of this when you brought a pin to a show? I would like to know how often this happens.

I dont see how people can swap parts out of your machine without the keys? maybe cut the topper out or something? but usually your game is in the middle of a row with pins on both sides and behind it so that would be hard as well. Now if you throw your keys to the first person you see in the place or leave keys in the game i dont see how anyone can get into your game.

I have brought both arcade games and pinball machines before and never had a problem besides a stuck ball or a rubber break.

#245 9 years ago

Any show open to the public has unsavory people.
Car, home and garden, comic con, or pinball show.
People pay money to attend all kinds of shows, and the general public can be awful.
People pay a lot to see a movie, and yet rude and ignorant people can be disruptive in the theater.
The general public is a mixed bag, and unsavory people are always in the mix.

Wow. I can't imagine living in a world that I was so constantly annoyed and scared of living in.

#246 9 years ago

Jared:
Games owned by collectors at the show.
I play pins owned by friends.
I am not going to play a pin owned by a stranger.
If the pin breaks while I play it, I would feel bad because it could be a crown jewel in a collection.
My definition of acceptable pin behavior can be considered unacceptable to another collector.
Why take the chance...
You can have your Pinocchio back.

#247 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Wow. I can't imagine living in a world that I was so constantly annoyed and scared of living in.

You twisted my statement, and took it to an extreme.
I am not scared or annoyed in the world.
But...
I am not naive, and the general public can be a pain in the a$$.
If you want to bring a million pins, go for it.
I gave my opinion on this thread.
Murphy's Law can show up.
If your pin gets damaged, you not the show eat the liability.

#248 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

At least I keep my car clean.

#249 9 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

do you have examples of this when you brought a pin to a show? I would like to know how often this happens.
I dont see how people can swap parts out of your machine without the keys? maybe cut the topper out or something? but usually your game is in the middle of a row with pins on both sides and behind it so that would be hard as well. Now if you throw your keys to the first person you see in the place or leave keys in the game i dont see how anyone can get into your game.
I have brought both arcade games and pinball machines before and never had a problem besides a stuck ball or a rubber break.

Murphy's Law can show up.
If your pin gets damaged, you not the show eat the liability.
You can bring a million pins.
No one is going to stop you.
I gave my opinion.
Read the comments above about part theft being contagious.
The show isn't going to cover those problems.
Both sides of the coin need to be discussed.
Not just the love affair of bringing pins.

#250 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That won't hurt it. I do that all the time because they were designed to handle it. Every bar owner does it 10 times a week.
Unless you have a NIB game, that game has probably been dropped 500 times in it's lifetime.

That won't hurt it. Players will even punch the glass and hurt themselves, but it won't hurt the game.
-
Even when people tip a Coke machine over onto themselves, it does not hurt the machine.

VID are you coming to TPF? If so I hope you bring your pins. I am going to play the shit out of them!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod
Decorations
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 49.99
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 362 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pros-and-cons-of-taking-a-game-to-a-show/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.