• Latest reply 6 years ago by DNO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2498 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I recently acquired a Williams Whirlwind pinball and am not exactly sure how certain aspects of the game should function. Hoping one of you has a fully functioning machine and can weigh in.....Specifically I am curious about the operation of the ramp lifter and the GI lighting on the playfield.

For the ramp lifter, I found a wire that was disconnected under the playfield that attached to the "cellar" switch. Once connected the ramp opens sometimes when the quick multi-ball is lit and other times is does not. Same for million dollar shot. Curious what events should make this open and close.

As for GI lighting, I have an issue in the back box that needs resolving. Two of three strings are out - the string on the top (under whirlwind name) and lower right string under the kid with the tv camera. When I test with a multimeter the dead strings read 2.5 vac, the center/left string that does work measures the appropriate 6.5 vac. I have replaced all the fuses so the simple fix is out. I also rebuilt the relay board attached to the backbox by the hinge by replacing the relay and leaky diodes and it did not solve the problem.

On the playfield - the GI lights for the lower half (e.g. under kicker or 3-drop target) of the playfield are "dim" and are not as bright as the the AC GI lights that are in the back of the playfield (e.g. left rear corner under lightening bolts). When I measure the voltage of the GI lights in the back of the playfield they measure the appropriate 6.5 vac, the dim lights in the front of the playfield measure 2.5 vac. I am guessing from the various online posts that I have an issue with a relay board and/or a pin that is burned out on one of the inner-connectors but have been unsuccessful at tracing the issue.

I see there are two other relay boards under the playfield but both appear to have been replaced at some point in this machines history as the relays are not cube style - they are the new sealed black type. Could this be my issue? Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

Sounds like the ramp is working fine. It stays down for most of the game but raises for quick multiball and to lock the third ball for multiball. There are a few other times it raises, but those are the main ones.

GI lighting has a few areas that are problematic where header pins and connectors can burn causing dim or non-working strings. The interconnect board in the backbox is where all of this takes place. The interconnect board is the long narrow one located in the backbox at the bottom. Power from the transformer GI comes in at the right side of the board at the top. It then goes through the fuses and then to the backbox and playfield on the connectors towards the bottom right and bottom left side. Those pins and connectors are prone to burn and should be replaced. Pins and connectors get tarnished and tend to burn the connector housings making it easier to identify.

On the back of the backbox swing out light panel and under the playfield are GI relays. The connectors on these can burn too and cause strings to dim or go out. Pull them out and check for pin tarnishing or connector housing burns.

Replace header pins with 0.156" style and the connectors with 0.156" trifurcon and housings. You can get these through the standard pinball suppliers.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the quick response - my interconnect board is likely the issue as you suggest - appears a couple of connectors have been changed over time but many appear dingy.... cheap upgrade if not the fix.

For the ramp - you mentioned it raises to lock the third ball for multi-ball - mine does not it stays down and third ball is "locked" when it goes up either ramp - right ramp diverts ball to collector then multi-ball starts. Seems would be much easier to make the million shot if the third ball locked under the ramp...

Quoted from schudel5:

Sounds like the ramp is working fine. It stays down for most of the game but raises for quick multiball and to lock the third ball for multiball. There are a few other times it raises, but those are the main ones.
GI lighting has a few areas that are problematic where header pins and connectors can burn causing dim or non-working strings. The interconnect board in the backbox is where all of this takes place. The interconnect board is the long narrow one located in the backbox at the bottom. Power from the transformer GI comes in at the right side of the board at the top. It then goes through the fuses and then to the backbox and playfield on the connectors towards the bottom right and bottom left side. Those pins and connectors are prone to burn and should be replaced. Pins and connectors get tarnished and tend to burn the connector housings making it easier to identify.
On the back of the backbox swing out light panel and under the playfield are GI relays. The connectors on these can burn too and cause strings to dim or go out. Pull them out and check for pin tarnishing or connector housing burns.
Replace header pins with 0.156" style and the connectors with 0.156" trifurcon and housings. You can get these through the standard pinball suppliers.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_player:

Thanks for the quick response - my interconnect board is likely the issue as you suggest - appears a couple of connectors have been changed over time but many appear dingy.... cheap upgrade if not the fix.

Yep typical issue on these games and probably needs to be done again or done right.

Quoted from pinball_player:

For the ramp - you mentioned it raises to lock the third ball for multi-ball - mine does not it stays down and third ball is "locked" when it goes up either ramp - right ramp diverts ball to collector then multi-ball starts. Seems would be much easier to make the million shot if the third ball locked under the ramp...

First two balls get locked on the lower left side. The ramp raises and the third ball gets locked under the ramp. The game shouts "Feel the Power of the Wind...Here it Comes!!!!" It kicks that ball under the ramp out first for a chance to hit the left ramp, then kicks out the other two locked at the left side.

You should be able to find YouTube videos of the game play and you can see how the game is supposed to act/react during certain modes.

#5 6 years ago

Well - I think I found the problem - photo attached. Why do folks attempt fixing electronics when they don't even know how to use a soldering gun.....pic attached. Contacts on pin 9 appear to be peeling off board in addition to bad repair. Anyone know if the interconnect boards are still available - haven't seen on any of the part vendor sites?

IMG_2498 (resized).JPGIMG_2498 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

No these boards aren't available, you're going to have to go in and repair it. It's less than $1 in parts and will be good once repaired correctly. You'll have address that trace and any plated through holes that are compromised. Use your meter on continuity to verify your work.

#7 6 years ago

The ramp will alternate up and down by going in the cellar, but that's when nothing is lit, like lock or quick mb.
At least this is what I noticed last time I played one, as I was trying to get a bunch of skyway tolls, and the ramp kept going down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proper-operation-of-williams-whirlwind-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.