• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

prtarget.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Greetings,

I'm new to the pinball hobby, by acquiring a Williams Space Shuttle. I'm pretty handy and I figured for $550, the machine is solid enough and I can render the TLC it needs. Of course, it needs a bit of cleaning, some switches fixed, and a coil or two - typical stuff. But it passes all diags as near I can tell, and I fixed a few other things broken at sale, so I'm already way ahead of where it was, and I like fixing things.

While cleaning the playfield I noticed the foam behind the bank targets is worn... to the point where in most cases it's missing. It looks similar to the gray 1/4" weatherstripping you can get anywhere, but of course on the machine it is black, and seems denser. Is there a proper type than can be had easily and affordably? While my gray weatherstripping foam work OK or deteriorate too quickly?

While at it, seems one of them was replaced as its target is a simple red blank and its foam is different. It almost looks new. Would anyone be willing to trade, or have a spare Williams concentric white ring switch to part with?

Thank you...!

#2 9 years ago

Check out pbresource: http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm
Search for MAT-TARGETFM.

#3 9 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=410

Browse through all of the parts supplier's sites to get familiar with what's available, you'll need a lot more parts as you start to go over your pin.

#4 9 years ago

I use weather stripping for all my machines.They come in different softness and colours and last as long as the expensive commercial ones. I buy it in rolls of 10 mm x 20 mm for a couple of $$$ and cut it to size.

#5 9 years ago

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

About 2/3 of the way down the page. It's just foam weatherstripping but works well...and it's cheap.

#6 9 years ago

High density weather stripping works best.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, everyone. I've already had lots of fun perusing the various suppliers, and have orders coming from Marco, and Comet. I just missed the foam pads and was hoping a "local household" substitute would work so I didn't have to pay shipping, etc. Of course I know I'll be ordering more parts in the future.

Have to run out for some paint chips and fuses and clearcoat ideas, so I'll see what other kinds of weatherstripping are available. I have some on hand, but it feels a little "squishier" than the good pad in my game. Would this be OK? Or will it deteriorate too quickly and/or cause terribly improper rebound?

#8 9 years ago

You can get the 3/16 gray weatherstrip at home depot.Its the same stuff they put on new switches.You just have to cut it to size

#9 9 years ago

+1 for the gray weatherstripping. I use it on all of mine.

#10 9 years ago

How is the weatherstripping for impact absorption? Is it better or worse than the original stuff? Does it depend on it being open-cell or closed-cell? Thickness as it relates to cushioning?

I ask because I replaced both the slot and clock targets on my TZ and I still get some serious air-time on balls, especially to the slot target. Half the time if I hit that slot target just right, the ball will rebound and fly right above the right flipper for an insta-drain. Not fun when you've got a great game going...

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

How is the weatherstripping for impact absorption? Is it better or worse than the original stuff? Does it depend on it being open-cell or closed-cell? Thickness as it relates to cushioning?
I ask because I replaced both the slot and clock targets on my TZ and I still get some serious air-time on balls, especially to the slot target. Half the time if I hit that slot target just right, the ball will rebound and fly right above the right flipper for an insta-drain. Not fun when you've got a great game going...

Is your target bent back like most of the originals tend to be, or are you using the re-enforced target?

#12 9 years ago

Sorry, yes, I should have qualified that. They are BOTH the reinforced versions.

There is definitely a noticeable thud, both heard and felt, when those targets are hit. They're holding up just fine, I'm just afraid that the target is going so far back when it's struck that it's hitting the angled piece behind it, resulting in the angle of deflection that produces the air ball.

For whatever reason, someone saw fit to make that piece behind the target angle towards the target face instead of away(like Capcom targets). Doing that, they probably realized that when the target gets hit in full and flushes up to that angled piece, the target would twist(because of the one side being taller than the other) and always rebound the ball to the left. Well, they then must have seen this as no good and decided to sand down that one side at an angle to alleviate that and not lose all the reinforcement properties of that piece. But in doing so, they left enough meat on there at an angle, that when the ball hits it in full and the target flushes up against the backing, it rebounds the ball in an upward, airborne direction.

prtarget.jpgprtarget.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proper-foam-for-target-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.