Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bkerins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball_girl.jpg
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I'm going to my first pin show (White Rose) and just wondering if there
    are some unwritten rules I should know about regarding
    the playing of the games on display. Do you just go up to any machine and start
    playing or ask, and do you just play one game at a time? Just wondering about
    general things like that so I dont anger the pinheads.

#2 11 years ago

I walk up to any machine and start playing if it's open for play. I play one game at a time, will always check behind me before starting another game in case some one else wanted to play. I can't stand people that just hit the start button without looking that I'm patiently waiting right behind them to try the game out.

#3 11 years ago

Don't be a jerk. That's a pretty good start. It always bugs and confuses me when people start a four player game and play them all. Not only is that bogus it doesn't even seem fun.

I'm still, however, unsure of the protocol when you want to play a machine again and no one is (ostensibly) waiting. Do you just make a big show of looking around and then start again?

Personally if someone is waiting I will let them play after my game is up even if I just had the most I satisfying game ever.

#5 11 years ago

I taught my kids the following

1. Be polite
    2. Only play a single player game (don't load up 4 games if you are the only one playing)
    3. If someone is waiting in line, ask if they want to play with you
    4. If you are a good player and there is a kid behind you, I always let the kids go first.
    5. Don't bang on the flippers.
    6. Don't beat the machine with hard nudges unless the owner is there and says it's ok

Another very important part of pinetiquette is to shower and show good hygiene. Don't be a stinky unicorn!

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

I taught my kids the following

1. Be polite
    2. Only play a single player game (don't load up 4 games if you are the only one playing)
    4. If you are a good player and there is a kid behind you, I always let the kids go first.
    5. Don't bang on the flippers.
    6. Don't beat the machine with hard nudges unless the owner is there and says it's ok

Another very important part of pinetiquette is to shower and show good hygiene. Don't be a stinky unicorn!

All good. And if a game starts smoking kindly turn it off, don't keep playing it.

LTG

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

Don't be a stinky unicorn!

Never been to a pin show, but I've been to enough other hobby shows to quote this for truth. +1

If you stand over my shoulder and smell like ass, I will tell you so. That sounds really rude, but I don't mean it that way, heh.

#8 11 years ago

All great advice so far. I'll add:

If you are stepping up to a game and someone else comes along at the same time, invite them to play a 2-player game. In my limited experience, the person will often decline because they don't want to intrude. But I'll insist, or at least let them know that I want them to play, and they join in most of the time.

#9 11 years ago

Yes please bathe...

Always invite the person behind to play with you.

Have fun.

+1 on turn the machine off if its smoking or broken and put a small note on it

#10 11 years ago

Don't be afraid to ask someone standing around if they know the ruleset and would be willing to show you. I should have done more of that at MGC this past year.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

Only play a single player game (don't load up 4 games if you are the only one playing)

+1.. If you are starting a 4 player game all by yourself, you are either a retard or a jerk. If you are starting a 2nd game without even looking over your shoulder, you are also a jerk. Whenever I'm at a show, I ALWAYS turn around, make sure nobody is waiting, ask if someone looks like they might be waiting but doesn't want to speak up.

I know some pinball owners are nice enough to print up a sign (usually to replace credit value card) that says "play a single game please".. Though that would mean they'd actually have to read it.

#12 11 years ago

If show allows food and drink DONT PUT IT ON MACHINE.. or any machine like the one next to you .

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

If show allows food and drink DONT PUT IT ON MACHINE.. or any machine like the one next to you .

Which is why I highly recommend installing a PinGulp on it ...

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

But I'll insist, or at least let them know that I want them to play, and they join in most of the time.

Good attitude. As they say, it's more fun to compete. Strangers joining in seems to be more and more the norm at west coast shows. Makes perfect sense. It's always more fun to play with others. Playing by yourself is just practice.

Of all the conventions a guy could attend, you won't find a more laid back crowd than pinheads. Enjoy yourself and try not to make any impulse buys. They can be expensive at pinball shows.

#15 11 years ago

Is farting frowned upon during seminars?

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

Not if you are trying to set a row record.

LTG

#17 11 years ago

I always want to say something when I see someone playing a four player game alone, but I figure its not worth the argument if they truly are that selfish. Last year at a show someone was playing this way on a game I have not yet had the chance to play, He looked at me in between players and continued as though I was the jerk for waiting. I decided it was best not to say anything because I would not have been able to be diplomatic. This person was 20 years older then I, If he had not yet figured out what is polite there was nothing I could do, besides it was only a Baywatch

#18 11 years ago

One of the worst things I ever saw was at the Denver show two years ago where they open the tournament games to the general public after the tourneys are all over. I actually saw a dude kick a brand new machine while others were in line to play it! I wanted so bad to go up and do it to him, but then probably would have been charged with assault. He was reported to the staff at the show so they could choose how to deal with him.

Follow most of the above hints and you're okay. Also just if you can, get there when the doors open or a few minutes before (to get in line with the avid ones who arrive early) and you're likely to be able to get onto a A+ game and play that and you're other favorites more before it gets busy. Enev then, when I'm done with each game and there's only a few in the room, I stand back and offer anyone else the game but sometimes you can get several games in a row and others are playing their favorites. I guess not all shows might this work, but Friday and Sunday at the opening of those days in Denver works real well to get onto the A or rare games. Then when it's really busy I go eat later in the day and take a break. I'm not a real morning person but it's worth it to get onto games I might only play at the show.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And if a game starts smoking kindly turn it off, don't keep playing it.

LTG []

There was a beautiful Jungle Lord at Expo one year that had a loose plastic that fell onto the playfield and was at risk of being broken by a ball. I turned off the machine and texted the owner to let him know. The machines often have the owner's name and cellphone number on them. Don't hesitate to contact the owner if the game is at risk of being damaged.

#20 11 years ago

My biggest piece of advice is to only play one game at a time. If no one is waiting go ahead and play another.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Also don't put ANYTHING on a machine next to you. Not your jacket, your show program, your purse, your bag, anything. It ties up the game, plus all those things have buckles buttons and such that could scratch it.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

On the game room floor I've walked through some radiation clouds that were just foul. Seriously, whoever was doing the drive by bombing needed to see a doctor.

Kim

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

On the game room floor I've walked through some radiation clouds that were just foul. Seriously, whoever was doing the drive by bombing needed to see a doctor.

Kim

You get your hearing checked lately Kim !

It could have been you.

Just sayin.

LTG

#24 11 years ago

If you see a machine turned off, keep it turned off. A pinsider saw one of my spotlights loose on my TFTC, he turned it off and came looking for me. I came to the machine and someone was playing it. I told him it was mine and to quit playing. He told me "Hey a light came off and it went into a hole somewhere." I STILL cannot find it coming on a year later.

#25 11 years ago

if someone is watching it's always good to see if they want to play 2players. Great way to start conversations. You find out a lot of people are from here or RGP and you actually see them post a lot.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Natetheviking:

Do you just make a big show of looking around and then start again?

That's what I usually do. I give a big pivot and neck turn each way. I'm thinking about going even bigger with the show at Expo and making it my signature move.

#27 11 years ago

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned: don't start a game and then abandon it with balls left to play. Kids tend to do this, but I've seen people old enough to know better pull this shit. Plunge your balls or turn the game off, wait a few seconds, then back on (and plunge if a ball is in the shooter lane so the machine doesn't go crazy thinking a ball is missing). People can't tell if it's a game in progress and someone in the crowd near the machine is playing or if the machine might be broken.

...and yeah. The guys I tend to see putting in 4-player games just for themselves tend to be older crotchity man babies instead of the younger guys. I don't blame the people who don't know any better, but damn, the guys who do it...knowing damn well they shouldn't...always fit that profile.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

...and yeah. The guys I tend to see putting in 4-player games just for themselves tend to be older crotchity man babies instead of the younger guys. I don't blame the people who don't know any better, but damn, the guys who do it...knowing damn well they shouldn't...always fit that profile.

At MGC the guys I always saw doing this fit the above description. OLD enough to know better and typically just did not give a crap. I was actually waiting to play CSI, an old bugger had 4 games loaded and was starting ball 3 on game 1 so I decided to wait it out. He got done with those 4 games and immediately loaded up 4 more. WTF!!!???!!!

What is etiquette to tell these guys it is not appropriate behavior? Are they just too old to tell?

I will say the mean part inside of me has thought about just walking up and turning off the game
    I know if it was my actual game they were playing, that is what I would do.

what is the best way?

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Yes please bathe...

+1000

At the last MGC, I had to walk away from a game I was playing because the guy next to me stunk so bad...

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

At MGC the guys I always saw doing this fit the above description. OLD enough to know better and typically just did not give a crap.

What is etiquette to tell these guys iropriate behavior?

I'm pretty sure I ran into the same guys at MGC. Dunno what the deal was but the one didn't respond and the other one was just an ahole when I asked for a turn or 3 player game. They let me have the machine but hovered around me the whole time.

If I see them next year I won't hesitate to be more firm.

I've actually seen one of them before hogging a NGG or Teed Off that was at an auction.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

At MGC the guys I always saw doing this fit the above description. OLD enough to know better and typically just did not give a crap. I was actually waiting to play CSI, an old bugger had 4 games loaded and was starting ball 3 on game 1 so I decided to wait it out. He got done with those 4 games and immediately loaded up 4 more. WTF!!!???!!!

was he playing FT?

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

was he playing FT?

He was the same guy that also did that on FT earlier in the day.

#33 11 years ago

Some guy started playing a second game at a very beautiful AFM at the allentown show this may. The game was gorgeous and had a permanent line. So aggravating.

It is fun when some kids come up to watch you.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from chilimac:

I'm going to my first pin show (White Rose) and just wondering if there
    are some unwritten rules I should know about regarding
    the playing of the games on display. Do you just go up to any machine and start
    playing or ask, and do you just play one game at a time? Just wondering about
    general things like that so I dont anger the pinheads.

Most of it is common sense. you know the old adage due unto others...
    ....Reminds me of a funny story last March at the
    Louisville show. We had a friend up to visit us at the show and
    wanted to play our AFM, so he and my husband got in line and were waiting
    their turn. There was 1 guy in front of them playing, he got done
    playing that game and started another...they didn't say anything but
    let him play. They were talking, and when they looked up he had
    started a 3rd game. they still didn't say anything, but let him
    play...Then when he started the 4th game, my husband said hey, there
    are people waiting in line to play to which the guy turned around and
    said I paid my money there is no sign saying there is a limit on how
    many games I can play. Then my husband informed him that it was his
    game...and that it was fine if he wanted to play again, but he was at
    least gonna put them in on the game as well. To which the guy was not
    happy about and it got a little heated there for a few minutes but the
    guy figured that was his best option and put them in. By the end of
    the game they shook hands and made friends. It was kinda funny that
    was the first time my husband has had to almost get in a fight to play
    his own game.
    So yes please if there are folks waiting to play offer to start a multi player game good way to make friends, don't put any beverages or food on the games. Like I said pretty much treat the games and others how you would want you and your games to be treated. Most importantly have FUN and play some PINBALL!!!

Phoebe

#35 11 years ago

I heard from otherpeople at TPF that people were bumping the ever-loving crap out of my Space Shuttle, even to the point of doing like slide saves and stuff. I did not have the tilt bob on it at all, I had forgotten to put one on it! I will not be making that mistake this year, so if you come to TPF looking for some system 9 goodness, you're not going to get away with murder this time! I'll leave it loose, but those slam switches will be well adjusted.

Also, seems like one guy and his son really loved my game, got other reports that the older guy in specific was on the machine for very extended periods of time.....Shuttle got about 550 plays over the weekend on it, so that guy must've been playing a LOT of games. I was just happy it was only turned off once the whole weekend for a simple microswitch adjustment. I had it taken care of in less than 5 minutes after someone turned it off. Awesome.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What is etiquette to tell these guys it is not appropriate behavior? Are they just too old to tell?
    I will say the mean part inside of me has thought about just walking up and turning off the game I know if it was my actual game they were playing, that is what I would do.
    what is the best way?

You should have let me know. I would have had no problem turning it off so I could "check something". LOL

#37 11 years ago

I think a lot of the above is common sense...but apparently not common sense enough for all.
    At my first pinshow I was standing in line (with my friend) to play CV.
    This guy was playing with his gf. He looked back at the line and asked if i would like to play a 4 game.
    I said sure. I looked at him and recognized it was Chris Bucci...the guy who does you tube reviews.
    I am not sure i would have offered to do that at the time..I know to do it now.
    BTW...what a nice guy he was. He obviously knew correct pinetiquette.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

You should have let me know. I would have had no problem turning it off so I could "check something". LOL

hahaha, I did not know you as well then, but now a days I would do that.

#39 11 years ago

make sure the SLAM TILT works before buying!

-jon

#40 11 years ago

On machines sliding around, if the show is somewhere with concrete it is *incredibly* easy to slide these machines (it's like being on ice sometimes). Out here PPE and Pin-A-GoGo are on concrete floors and I always wind up accidentally sliding a machine or two half a foot, when doing the same physical move on carpet/hardwood would have only jiggled the machine. I'm just saying, sometimes things look more physical and worse on those floors than they actually are. But if that is too much, definitely set the tilt bob so it does the talking for you.

On 4-player machine hogs: I also will step up and ask if I can join in (I offer/ask for most games I step up to anyways). If they refuse, it's up to you to decide if they are far enough along in their game to push it to the next level (or if there is a line...how long said line is...etc.). Some of these people also just suck at pinball, so they need those 3 other player slots to compensate.

If they are done and reload up another 4-player game, it's definitely time for the next level: which is find the staff and tell them about the rude fuck.

Paying for admission to a show doesn't make someone special enough to hog a popular game. Especially since everyone else in the room paid the same price to get in. The only time you're entitled to hog a game is when it is sitting inside your house.

#41 11 years ago

I was at a show, and there was a Junkyard which I've never played. The guy playing saw me waiting and said something like, "I hope you're not waiting to play this, I'm trying to set a world record." Or something like that.

Funny though, he actually thought I would be impressed or interested or something. He was still there a couple hours later, but not a few hours after that.

#42 11 years ago

Supervise your kids. Its not the job of show-goers and machine owners to babysit them.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I heard from otherpeople at TPF that people were bumping the ever-loving crap out of my Space Shuttle, even to the point of doing like slide saves and stuff. I did not have the tilt bob on it at all, I had forgotten to put one on it! I will not be making that mistake this year, so if you come to TPF looking for some system 9 goodness, you're not going to get away with murder this time! I'll leave it loose, but those slam switches will be well adjusted.

I made this same mistake the first year I went to TPF. I had some huge guy just beating the shit out of a Hot Doggin'. I politely asked him many times to chill, finally I just turned the game off while he was playing. He got pissed and didn't come back to my booth the rest of the show. I made sure every tilt worked the next year.

#44 11 years ago

On a COMPLETELY empty stomach...

2 1/2 hrs before the show..

Eat 6 soft tacos from taco bell, with extra FIRE sauce...

2 Big Mac's,

and drink a minimum of 2 Genesee Cream Ale's, (3-4 would be ideal)

and commence CROP DUSTING the crowd....

Proper Etiquette: see above

Ps: its also an excellent technique for freeing up a pin for yourself that has been busy all day... !

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

LOL. At first I thought this was a dig at me but then I remembered that I shower

All good advice though.

When I take games to the Allentown show, I tend to hang around them in case of problems. Also, I like to watch people play my games. My other suggestion would be to ask questions if you have them. Many times the owners are nearby and are more than happy to discuss pinball!

Chris

#46 11 years ago

I've never been to a pinball show and I'm surprised at all the hygiene related posts.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jake:

I've never been to a pinball show and I'm surprised at all the hygiene related posts.

Try replacing the words "pinball show" with "comic convention" or any other type of fandom show. Kind of the same thing. How do people go to public events like these and not bathe? Even worse, the ones that dump a load of Axe or something as aromatic on!

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jake:

It's kind of depressing, and true. It gets really roasting hot at shows sometimes and you need to turn up CLEAN and in CLEAN clothes. This should be normal for any day really, but especially then.

#49 11 years ago

I'll have to agree with some of the other posters that nothing ticks me off more than a single player player a 4 player games by themselves or IMO a guy play back to back games when your clearly waiting politely in line behind them. I also noticed that it seemed to be an old guy thing. Last year at expo was my first time getting to try out a lot of the titles that were there so I tried to play every game to try and get a feel for what I liked and recall waiting to play a WCS94. After the older guy was done with the game he preceded to start a second game, so I thought to myself ok he must not of noticed us waiting behind him. So My brother and I made a point to kinda make our presence aware to him by talking to each other or something. Then when that game was overe the dude started yet another game, so we just left as I didn't need to get into a fight with some old guy over a game. Went bye an hour or so later and the same guy was still playing it so I gave up on getting to play that game!

#50 11 years ago

I tend to seek out the less popular games that I haven't played before at a show which normally are less busy. Hanging around waiting to play is not normally an issue. If a show starts gets too busy then it's time to get some food/beer!

If someone is hogging a game that I want to play, I'll normally not wait around, but find a free machine nearby and return later. If a guy is blatently continually restarting a game I find that resting a hand on the side rail and a hard stare normally works wonders, along with a gas attack if I have one ready...

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proper-etiquette-at-pin-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.