Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RCA1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#2 1 year ago

Arse or Ass
    Fanny ( front bum) or Fanny ( back bum)
    Colour or Color
    Metric or Imperial

Why does USA seem to have their own set of rules.
    What other idiosyncrasies abound?

#3 1 year ago

They cannot pronounce 'Solder' properly

#4 1 year ago

We left and made our own rules. We killed millions so an engine could ride the tracks and carry the spoils. We offered unlimited wealth to any who dared help us build a society on this giant land mass. They’re still coming. The turning is here. USA 2.0 is going to become the world.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

Metric or Imperial

Depends if you're trying it put a person on the moon.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Depends if you're trying it put a person on the moon.

NASA has used metric for years…

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from 7oxford:

NASA has used metric for years…

...& they haven't put someone on the moon for years!

#8 1 year ago

Drive on the right side of the road!

#9 1 year ago

Anyone with an engineering degree would ban imperial units.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Reading this with your Ron Swanson avatar is like trying to push magnets together flipped the wrong way

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I would not, and I am a degreed and practicing engineer.
    Our State Highway Department forced metric on everyone for about three years, and then gave up and went back to traditional units.
    Everyone - contractors, engineers, suppliers, public - was relieved to go back.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I would not, and I am a degreed and practicing engineer.
    Our State Highway Department forced metric on everyone for about three years, and then gave up and went back to traditional units.
    Everyone - contractors, engineers, suppliers, public - was relieved to go back.

I am as well. I still don't know of a good reason for the imperial system. Not being used to metric UOM is usually the biggest gripe with it. Whoever came up with pound mass and pound force should be slapped. Slugs make more sense but are equally stupid. Let's use ounces for volume and weight while we're at it.

#13 1 year ago

When England finally decides on their unit of measure for vehicle speeds and distances and uses something other than "stones" for someone's weight, then we can talk. At least the Aussies seem to be all in on metric, so credit where credit's due. Better looking cars there, too.

#14 1 year ago

Automotive terms:
    trunk = boot
    roof = hood
    hood = bonnet
    fender = wing
    truck = lorry

It's like the English don't know how to speak English.

#15 1 year ago

What is a "front bum?"

#16 1 year ago

One of my best friends and his then-fiancee are both British. When his then-fiancee came over from the UK to stay at our flat for a few days, she woke early one morning and came to the kitchen to find me finishing breakfast before getting ready to head off to the shower. She then offered to help me wash up, which I then learned meant something very different in the UK.

this was of course a few weeks after I asked that friend if I could borrow his suspenders, which also means something quite different, I quickly learned.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

What is a "front bum?"

Some people do not want their children to learn names of their private parts so they use words like "back bum" or "front bum".

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

Why does USA seem to have their own set of rules.

Kinda like the Golden Rule, but in this case the one with the bombs rules.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

What is a "front bum?"

A fanny

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

At least the Aussies seem to be all in on metric, so credit where credit's due. Better looking cars there, too.

on the title deed, my hose block is measures in chains

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

on the title deed, my hose block is measures in chains

That must be quite a hose.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pronunciation-and-spelling- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.