(Topic ID: 292217)

Promoting more paid plays

By JustJake

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 3 years ago

Run a TOPs tournament. My best one paid out over $400. Software is already there. Charge $2 for a tournament game with $1 of that going towards the prize pool. Once started, the display shows details about the tournament including prize pool and current top scores. I ran mine for around a month each and always finished them on a weekend so people could get paid that day. You'll need a tournament button, if you don't already have one. Marco sells them.

Many cities now have all their rules listed online. Use search terms like amusement, video games and of course pinball. Rules can vary greatly from city to city and lots of large cities have no rules at all regarding pinball machines and video games. Always best to check first. Some cities have quirky rules leftover from the 80's when video games went nuts. My city requires a police background check if you operate 10 or more games at a single location, which I never did.

I never considered getting insurance when I operated pins because in the 50 years I've been playing (and 10 years of operating), I've never seen or heard of anyone getting hurt by a pinball machine. The businesses I put my games in did have insurance.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I know location coin-op isn’t dead but location pinball has bee

Huh? Have you looked at the pinball map in the last ten years? While we haven't had a huge resurgence, numbers have steadily increased for more than ten years. The popularity of barcades has played a big part. Covid has set things back, but saying pinball has been dead is flat out wrong.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A good player can come in. Put in $1. Play a game and win 10 games. Then play 5 tournament games. Prize pool goes up $5, but the money didn't go into the cashbox to cover it.

That can't happen. You can win one game max on your first game. Stern's don't allow you to win more than one game. You might win a second game by getting the GC score, but that takes an awesome game and you can easily turn off replays for GC scores. No way at all to win 10 games on your first play. Once you do get a replay, the replay score reflexes up and it gets even harder to win a second game.

I ran a dozen or more tournaments. Had some of the best players on the planet compete in them. Neil Shatz, Rick Stetta, Andrei Massenkoff, Marc Connant. Every tournament made me money. Please stop repeating this misinformation LTG. You're flat out wrong.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from stuliss:

I ran a TOPs on wedgeheads, lost my shirt! It would've been even worse if that one guy hadn't sold all his replays back to the soda jerk!

You may have run a tournament on wedgeheads, but you didn't run a TOPs tournament. The software is only on Stern Whitestar games and newer. No software on wedgeheads.

#21 2 years ago

LTG said a person could play one game and win 10 replays. That can't happen on a newer Stern or most any other game built in the last 40 years.

In the scenario you suggest, a player has to play 10 epic games, all getting replays, before playing any tournament games that count. Even if you could do it, you would be fatigued after those 10 epic games and you're not going to play your best with any remaining games. Not a winning strategy on a number of levels. When I play in a TOPs tournament, I play one non-tournament game to warm up, then play tournament games. As I said, some of the best players in the world played in my tournaments and they all made me (and the business) money. The audits don't lie.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/dUAKUzXyVFU/m/MYaMV-eSy0UJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/promoting-more-paid-plays?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.