(Topic ID: 292217)

Promoting more paid plays

By JustJake

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hello Pinsiders!
    I'm Jake and brand new to the site. I just bought a Metallica pin to put in a friends bar. It did cost a pretty penny so I'm trying to recoup some of my investment.

I was hoping the minds here can give me some ideas to get more paid plays. It collects $86 avg/week and then I split it with the bar. Hoping to get this number up. If this remains consistent it take 4 years to pay for it!! Gonna try a $25 gift card for high score each week.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

And Thanks!

P.S. I'm looking for an Iron Maiden. I cant go new but I will be buying one soon. Let me know if you have one to sell. Cash money.

#2 3 years ago

50/50 split is a relic of the past. You said "split" and I'm taking that to mean "split evenly."

Also, are you checking your audits to see average game time, number of EBs, etc.? MET can be a hard game if it's a casual audience, and you might get more $ if you set it up easier. Pending what the audits say.

Also also, make sure you're running the latest code. It has some bug fixes and makes some multiballs easier to get by default.

#3 3 years ago

I hope you don't mind my asking.

Did you just put it there ? Or did you do your research. Zoning ordinances ? All the required licenses ? Your own insurance on it ( never depend on others for that ) ?

$43 a week won't go far if you are doing this right.

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago

Tyvm stevevt!
    That's an excellent idea! Like I mentioned above, it is brand new to me. The last machine I had was a Stellar Wars by William's.

What is the common ratio in these very ??? times? 60/40?
    70/30? 100/0?

Thanks for your quick reply!!

#5 3 years ago

Jersey Jack-

Of course not! No permits, No insurance, No problem! /sarc

Who in the piniverse sells insurance? Never even thought about it. How much can I expect to pay?

Badges? We dont need no stinking badges!!

Thanks for your speedy reply!

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from JustJake:

No permits, No insurance, No problem! /sarc

As long as you don't get caught ! / sarc

Quoted from JustJake:

Never even thought about it.

Someone gets hurt playing your machine, you'll think a lot about it then while you are being sued into oblivion. Start by checking with your insurance agent.

Quoted from JustJake:

Badges? We dont need no stinking badges!!

Some areas you don't. Some you do. Some cities have heavy fines if you get caught without them. Some cities confiscate the equipment.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from JustJake:

Hello Pinsiders!
    I'm Jake and brand new to the site. I just bought a Metallica pin to put in a friends bar. It did cost a pretty penny so I'm trying to recoup some of my investment.
    I was hoping the minds here can give me some ideas to get more paid plays. It collects $86 avg/week and then I split it with the bar. Hoping to get this number up. If this remains consistent it take 4 years to pay for it!! Gonna try a $25 gift card for high score each week.
    Any suggestions are appreciated!
    And Thanks!
    P.S. I'm looking for an Iron Maiden. I cant go new but I will be buying one soon. Let me know if you have one to sell. Cash money.

Lowest I’ll go is 80/20 or I won’t even bother. 90/10 is my start and 100% has worked at times. Pitch it as “I pay for all the upkeep and parts cost, you make more money because it keeps patrons busy and you can sell more drinks”
    Start a league and then the patrons give the bar everything they need and comparatively the coin drop you make is NOTHING. Drinks make waaay more money.

Quoted from LTG:

I hope you don't mind my asking.
    Did you just put it there ? Or did you do your research. Zoning ordinances ? All the required licenses ? Your own insurance on it ( never depend on others for that ) ?
    $43 a week won't go far if you are doing this right.

He’s right. Many places don’t seem to care much anymore. When asked about licensing and permits for location machines I know my locality said “...what?”. It’s such a relic of the past and location pinball has been dead for over a decade.
    Definitely get some sort of insurance from the bar in writing

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It’s such a relic of the past and location pinball has been dead for over a decade.

Location coin op, non pinball stuff. Isn't dead.

Many places don’t seem to care much anymore.

Best check. Be sure. Get it in writing if they don't care. Cover your own a**. Cities are always looking for ways to make money. Licensing is part of it.

I know my locality said “...what?”.

Who exactly did you talk to ? License division of the city hall in your city ? Receptionist might not know anything. People in the licensing office will.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Location coin op, non pinball stuff. Isn't dead.

Best check. Be sure. Get it in writing if they don't care. Cover your own a**. Cities are always looking for ways to make money. Licensing is part of it.

Who exactly did you talk to ? License division of the city hall in your city ? Receptionist might not know anything. People in the licensing office will.

Nobody in city hall knew anything, the city clerk deals with licensing and tax permits and had to look it up in the book and she said she didn’t even care.

I know location coin-op isn’t dead but location pinball has bee. In most locals, pinball has specific licensing/tax laws that are totally different from jukeboxes and such.

#11 3 years ago

Definitely get some sort of insurance from the bar in writing

It would be better to get your own. That way you won't be left in the lurch if something happens and the bar suddenly has a bout of amnesia about you.

#12 3 years ago

i don't know what kind of bar your friend is running, but chances are that unless you promote pinball being there, the only people who ever see it are the bartender, the guy who cleans the place, and some regulars who are there everyday when they open at noon. none of them are going to put even a single quarter in it, and you'll probably make more by scraping the cocaine residue off the glass every morning. folks need to know to go there to find it. pinball people. the kind of people who go to a bar and put $10-$20 in it for a session. get on some social media that reaches pinball players in the vicinity and tell them it's in there. and while you're at it, tell the owner that if they don't let you put at least 2-3 more in there, it's never going to take off. remind them, it's the beers they sell as a result of pinball being sought out, that pays them. the coin box is yours. then, buy a lot of tools and spare parts and be prepared to repair it often. if it ain't broken, it means it ain't getting played. keep in mind, this isn't just an investment, it's a job. it will require time, attention and sense of responsibility. this isn't just free money.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

folks need to know to go there to find it. pinball people.

Which means you should put it on the online pinball maps, too.
    .................David Marston

#14 3 years ago

Run a TOPs tournament. My best one paid out over $400. Software is already there. Charge $2 for a tournament game with $1 of that going towards the prize pool. Once started, the display shows details about the tournament including prize pool and current top scores. I ran mine for around a month each and always finished them on a weekend so people could get paid that day. You'll need a tournament button, if you don't already have one. Marco sells them.

Many cities now have all their rules listed online. Use search terms like amusement, video games and of course pinball. Rules can vary greatly from city to city and lots of large cities have no rules at all regarding pinball machines and video games. Always best to check first. Some cities have quirky rules leftover from the 80's when video games went nuts. My city requires a police background check if you operate 10 or more games at a single location, which I never did.

I never considered getting insurance when I operated pins because in the 50 years I've been playing (and 10 years of operating), I've never seen or heard of anyone getting hurt by a pinball machine. The businesses I put my games in did have insurance.

#15 3 years ago

I know location coin-op isn’t dead but location pinball has bee

Huh? Have you looked at the pinball map in the last ten years? While we haven't had a huge resurgence, numbers have steadily increased for more than ten years. The popularity of barcades has played a big part. Covid has set things back, but saying pinball has been dead is flat out wrong.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Run a TOPs tournament. My best one paid out over $400. Software is already there. Charge $2 for a tournament game with $1 of that going towards the prize pool.

Bear in mind it isn't a perfect system.

A good player can come in. Put in $1. Play a game and win 10 games. Then play 5 tournament games. Prize pool goes up $5, but the money didn't go into the cashbox to cover it.

You have to keep an eye on it so you don't lose a lot of money running a TOPS tournament.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A good player can come in. Put in $1. Play a game and win 10 games. Then play 5 tournament games. Prize pool goes up $5, but the money didn't go into the cashbox to cover it.

That can't happen. You can win one game max on your first game. Stern's don't allow you to win more than one game. You might win a second game by getting the GC score, but that takes an awesome game and you can easily turn off replays for GC scores. No way at all to win 10 games on your first play. Once you do get a replay, the replay score reflexes up and it gets even harder to win a second game.

I ran a dozen or more tournaments. Had some of the best players on the planet compete in them. Neil Shatz, Rick Stetta, Andrei Massenkoff, Marc Connant. Every tournament made me money. Please stop repeating this misinformation LTG. You're flat out wrong.

#18 3 years ago

I ran a TOPs on wedgeheads, lost my shirt! It would've been even worse if that one guy hadn't sold all his replays back to the soda jerk!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

That can't happen. You can win one game max on your first game. Stern's don't allow you to win more than one game.

it can,
    Imagine your in regular play and somehow you were able to hit the progressive replay score 10 times in a row (pretty sure you can hit it in ToPs also, but I don't remember). Then you use those 10 replays to play ToPs 5 times and raise the prize pool. I don't know anybody that's good enough to do that, but hey.

The progressive replay value on sterns raise so dramatically, that it'd be near impossible for anyone to take real advantage. Regardless, if somehow that did become a thing you can take the replay % value off default and raise it to some insane number if u wanted to. Just keep in mind the whole point of replays/matches is to encourage players to keep playing.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from stuliss:

I ran a TOPs on wedgeheads, lost my shirt! It would've been even worse if that one guy hadn't sold all his replays back to the soda jerk!

You may have run a tournament on wedgeheads, but you didn't run a TOPs tournament. The software is only on Stern Whitestar games and newer. No software on wedgeheads.

#21 3 years ago

LTG said a person could play one game and win 10 replays. That can't happen on a newer Stern or most any other game built in the last 40 years.

In the scenario you suggest, a player has to play 10 epic games, all getting replays, before playing any tournament games that count. Even if you could do it, you would be fatigued after those 10 epic games and you're not going to play your best with any remaining games. Not a winning strategy on a number of levels. When I play in a TOPs tournament, I play one non-tournament game to warm up, then play tournament games. As I said, some of the best players in the world played in my tournaments and they all made me (and the business) money. The audits don't lie.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/dUAKUzXyVFU/m/MYaMV-eSy0UJ

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

LTG said a person could play one game and win 10 replays. That can't happen on a newer Stern or most any other game built in the last 40 years.

ahh I see what you mean, didn't think of it in that context. Yeah ToPs usually help boost earnings on most games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/promoting-more-paid-plays?hl=stuliss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.