5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TV or Projector for a small tv area on the new game room”

• TV...get a 60" and you'll be happy 67 votes
      54%
    • Projector....get a portable and break it out on the coffee table 2 votes
      2%
    • Projector....ceiling mount a decent one 54 votes
      44%

(123 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20141216_215743.jpg
    20141206_213114.jpg
    DSCN9797.JPG
    DSCN9798.JPG
    20141205_182552.jpg
    10604516_10153452984678569_5770639064236840176_o.jpg
    10557543_10153452984683569_8665419057345651943_o.jpg
    10253914_10153447665453569_2711914165631781361_n.jpg
    IMG_2881.JPG
    DSCN1678.JPG
    image.jpg
    image-93.jpg

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Projector all the way. I'll never go back. Currently have a jvc 4910 projected onto a 123" supernova screen.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Gonna cost like $4,000 for the proper tv setup.
    I'm $6,000 for my 70" LED, A/V, speakers, blu-ray, xbox 360, and harmony one remote.

I've got the sound and game systems covered already....just the video needs to be purchased (which looks to be a TV over projector)

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I've got the sound and game systems covered already....just the video needs to be purchased (which looks to be a TV over projector)

The one other thing to remember is when the TV is shut off it is a ugly big black box on the wall. You can use video screen paint and when the projector is not on ; you don't have anything on the wall. Once you go over 70 inches the big black box on the wall when shut off is an eye sore.

I think everyone has given you the trade offs now you have to decide for your situation.

#54 5 years ago

110" screen with a ceiling projector - Don't use it as much as I used to but love it!

Scott

DSCN1678.JPG
    #55 5 years ago

Projector all day long if you can control the lighting in the room.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Troutfarm:

I am happy with my projector, but 16ft ceilings help.

image-93.jpg 311 KB

That is friggin' cool.

#57 5 years ago

Just saw this: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6838489/how-vizio-p-series-999-4k-uhd-tv

Not sure if you're wanting a 4k but this is interesting news. It will be great to see how that causes increased price pressure on existing technology.

#58 5 years ago

I use a projector and it's great! The best part is it gives me more room for pins!

I have a pull down screen placed just in front of a row of pins, and the projector mounted on the ceiling. This way I didn't need to dedicate an entire wall as the screen. My couch is on sliders, so we just swing the couch into place, pull down the screen and we have and instant movie theater.

#59 5 years ago

You can get a great 1080P 60" or a fair to meh projector for that budget. I vote TV.

I went fairly low-medium end on my game room / media room setup w/ projector and 132" screen and it was still around $4500. I have 8' walls too.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

I have a pull down screen placed just in front of a row of pins, and the projector mounted on the ceiling. This way I didn't need to dedicate an entire wall as the screen.

We have a similar setup. Our HVAC unit and water heater are in a "closet" with sliding doors and I mounted the screen above the doors. We just pull down the screen and watch TV on an otherwise unusable wall.

#61 5 years ago

I'm cheap. I bought a refurbed Optoma for under $400. Specs are about 2500-2700 lumins, only 1080i and shown on a painted wall. Very nice picture, not perfect, but pretty darn good for the price. Screen size is 100". For movies, we prefer watching it over the 1080p 50" upstairs.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Just saw this: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6838489/how-vizio-p-series-999-4k-uhd-tv
    Not sure if you're wanting a 4k but this is interesting news. It will be great to see how that causes increased price pressure on existing technology.

It won't because hard to resolve 4k at small screen technology and the conversion for most media is just at 1080p. 720p is just starting to leave mainstream media and transmission availability in most area's of the world. 4k just does not have alot of room to grow outside of large venue.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveB:

Projector all the way. I'll never go back. Currently have a jvc 4910 projected onto a 123" supernova screen.

I have the same projector in my theater room. Blacks are fantastic in light controlled room but if you flip on the lights or have light from games, it's not going to do well and looks washed out.

1 month later
    #64 5 years ago

I impulsively bought some theater shit last night.

Got the Epson 8345, rumored to be the improved & tweaked 8350, for a sweet $749 on Amazon. It's usually $850-$900 but I timed it right one could say.

amazon.com link »

Snagged a ceiling mount for $52

amazon.com link »

35ft HDMI for $16

amazon.com link »

A motorized remote control 120" screen for $110

amazon.com link »

Also some AV plates for a $4 each

amazon.com link »

I'm an Amazon prime member & my Amazon card affords me 3% cash back when shopping Amazon. This means I avoided taxes, shipping, retail prices & ended up getting $27.50 back from Amazon via rewards on just this purchase alone. This is the card we use every day & pay off every month so I had some rewards for this purchase as well but I'm gonna leave those out of the equation.

I will have to buy quality wire to relo my AV stack & make my own power wire fished along side the 35ft HDMI but all in all I expect this to run just under $1000 since I'm using my existing Klipsch audio, Yamaha receiver & Bluray/Xbox. My 9-5 job is working on CCTV, fire & burg systems so the install of this stuff will be professional, clean & free

If I need to I will mount a 70" on the wall for daytime viewing, not too worried if I need to. Light can be controlled very well in the basement & my ceiling/trim/blinds were going to be painted flat black soon anyways.

Just wanted to bump an old thread & share my recent victories lol

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I impulsively bought some theater shit last night.

Me too.... got some Cyber Monday action and bought a pair of Visio tvs for the gameroom and a wall mount for one of them.

Your new system should be awesome

#66 5 years ago

Just hung my new kitchen TVIMG_2881.JPG

#67 5 years ago

Love this time of the year and my new 75 inch samsung lol

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Just hung my new kitchen TV

You should just leave it frozen on that picture forever.

#69 5 years ago

I used my new 3d printer to design and print a bracket system to hang a movie screen from the inside of my garage door, but still let the door be functional. Here it is partially installed, I've gotta get some pictures of it finished up.

The screen isn't under tension in these pics because the side and bottom brackets weren't installed yet, but you'll get the idea.

10253914_10153447665453569_2711914165631781361_n.jpg

10604516_10153452984678569_5770639064236840176_o.jpg

10557543_10153452984683569_8665419057345651943_o.jpg

#70 5 years ago

Get the biggest baddest flat screen you can afford. I have both in my house. Flat screen wins hands down. Projector was a cool novelty for a while. Your friends will say "whoa cool man" the first three or four times then it's just another TV. Projector is a pain in the ass to wire, hang where's there's nothing in the projection path and maintain. Sound is also a consideration. If you want to just watch the news you gotta fire up the home theater system and dim the lights. Flat screen has those weak speakers but you don't need a subwoofer to obtain the facts you need from the news. Flat screens are cheap and you don't need to replace a 400.00 bulb. Ever. I have 3 flat screens in my cave, one in the shop and one in each room upstairs. I have not turned my projector on in 6 years.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I used my new 3d printer to design and print a bracket system to hang a movie screen from the inside of my garage door, but still let the door be functional. Here it is partially installed, I've gotta get some pictures of it finished up.
    The screen isn't under tension in these pics because the side and bottom brackets weren't installed yet, but you'll get the idea.

10253914_10153447665453569_27119... 39 KB

10557543_10153452984683569_86654... 228 KB

10604516_10153452984678569_57706... 215 KB

Hmmm... how much would you charge to produce these bad boys. I'd be interested in some. We sometimes do movie/football campfire nights out at the farm. Usually just shine it on the shop door but this could clean things up a bit.

#72 5 years ago

Projectors are only the way to go if you have light control. I have a really nice JVC projector in my Theater/Game room but its rarely on when I am playing pinball. I only recommend projectors if you are only using it for movies/sports, if its going to be on all the time the darkness required for an optimal picture is a drawback. The other option is to get a retractable screen that drops down in front of a smaller flatscreen. You can have both and depending on the situation use whatever is appropriate. I would recommend looking at used projectors but buy a new TV. You can find some great deals on high end projectors that are a few years old. AVS forums are a good place to check as well as CL

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

Hmmm... how much would you charge to produce these bad boys. I'd be interested in some. We sometimes do movie/football campfire nights out at the farm. Usually just shine it on the shop door but this could clean things up a bit.

I usually shy away from selling stuff, but if you wanted to talk about it just PM me. I'd want to make sure my brackets would work for you. I would only charge you the cost of materials, so maybe $30 for a entire set of like 15 brackets for top/bottom and 4 of the side brackets.

#74 5 years ago

PJ arrived today!

I couldn't help but to shine it on a beige wall w/ no audio

Can't wait to get my screen & install this nonsense in the gameroom

My little one was confused when she saw it lol

20141205_182552.jpg

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

PJ arrived today!

20141205_182552.jpg 284 KB

Looks good!

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

I only recommend projectors if you are only using it for movies/sports

I would add to the list, game consoles.
    We have switches for Nintendo/Wii/X-box/PS all set up.
    Multiplayer split screens on game consoles. Everyone has the equivalency of their own 50" in 4 player mode, makes playing real ez ....Mario cart /ect
    Also NBA 20** seems to be a favorite..makes you feel like you are on the court. Presently set for 100"

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

PJ arrived today!

20141205_182552.jpg 284 KB

Perfect. Looks great. I am now running 3 projectors in my house. Love them all. Since I develop projector technology I am biased; but there is nothing like 100-200 inch screen. Flat panels are no comparison.

#78 4 years ago

I use plasmas in the Family Room and Bedroom and a 4K Sony Projector (True 4K) in my dedicated home theater. In my opinion projectors are best in a controlled lighting situation. Best Picture with Projectors are achieved with total darkness. Plasmas in my opinion have the best contrast. Panasonic for my Plasmas. 65" and 50".

#79 4 years ago

With only an 8ft viewing distance I wouldn't go any bigger then 65in. The reason being any bigger and the viewer will have to turn his head to see things happening on the other side of the screen. Take a piece of cardboard and cut it to the dimentions of a 70in. and place it in the position where the tv will go, you'll see what I mean.

#80 4 years ago

I love my Panasonic AP7000U projector. If you like giant screen, go with something like this. Otherwise, a large TV can do the job. It is totally up to you on how big you want your viewing area. Mine is 7' X 12'. It has the feel of being in a movie theater. It is impressive to visitors. A TV is . . . well . . . just a TV, no matter how big.

#81 4 years ago

I'm guessing that because this was started over a month ago that your decision is already made. My 2 cents though will be to lean towards a projector. Here is my Viewsonic projector which was $799. As you can see there is some difference in lighting, but with just some sheets of Sheetrock unpainted and taped, the picture is still pretty nice (in my eyes anyways).

DSCN9797.JPG DSCN9798.JPG
    #82 4 years ago

The nice thing about a projector is you don't have the serious eye strain. I was at a buddies house who has a 90inch sharp. Beautiful picture; amazing colors; evening looking at it. Headache and eye fatique. I like the softness of a large screen projector in a game room. Just not overbearing.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

I love my Panasonic AP7000U projector. If you like giant screen, go with something like this. Otherwise, a large TV can do the job. It is totally up to you on how big you want your viewing area. Mine is 7' X 12'. It has the feel of being in a movie theater. It is impressive to visitors. A TV is . . . well . . . just a TV, no matter how big.

But how far is your viewing distance?

#84 4 years ago

I have a stuck red pixel on my PJ almost in the center of the screen.

No worries, gonna swap it out for a new one @ no cost.

Screen arrived damaged to shit. Lol, what a fail this recent order has been.

Oh well, first world problems. Luckily Amazon is fairly good with returns.

I'm still using the shit until it goes back tho.

Gotta say 120" is HUGE! It's like pretty unreasonable & excessive actually. I expiremented with 180" & ended up with motion sickenss.

20141206_213114.jpg
    #85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Perfect. Looks great. I am now running 3 projectors in my house. Love them all. Since I develop projector technology I am biased; but there is nothing like 100-200 inch screen. Flat panels are no comparison.

What's the tech you work on?

I can't watch DLP. I had a Mitsubishi diamond back in the day & had to take it back. Felt like I was on that rainbow track in space on Super Mario Kart.

Even now on the newer faster wheels with more segments I see it.

Can't afford a 3 chip DLP, if I was dropping that scrilla I'd go lcos because I love lcos more than anything ever made lol

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

But how far is your viewing distance?

The length of the room . . . 30 feet. It seats 25+ people comfortably.

Front row is about 10 feet back. Kids sit in front of us on the floor on bean bags. The other seats are behind the front row. 5 rows of seats, elevated theater style. The rest of the game room is adjacent in another connecting room. That's where my pins are.

1 week later
    #87 4 years ago

This is PW79 & I'm here to hijack the thread

Making progress. Many wires left to run & tons more to do/buy but it's half ass usable at the moment which is so far dope as shit.

One this is for sure. A fella can build a decent theater, recarpet & repaint for less than the cost of a new LE pinball machine. This project has made it hard to argue a pin is worth a theater (in my mind at least) & put a lot into perspective as far as ROI of $$$ goes.

20141216_215743.jpg

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

This is PW79 & I'm here to hijack the thread

It's only hijacking when you start selling sneakers from China on this thread

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

With only an 8ft viewing distance I wouldn't go any bigger then 65in. The reason being any bigger and the viewer will have to turn his head to see things happening on the other side of the screen. Take a piece of cardboard and cut it to the dimentions of a 70in. and place it in the position where the tv will go, you'll see what I mean.

oh, i dunno... i sit 9 feet from an 8 foot wide screen and it works for me...

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

oh, i dunno... i sit 9 feet from an 8 foot wide screen and it works for me...

Me too...100" diagonal, 8 or 9 feet away, no problems whatsoever.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

yup... 110" here, and if i could fit a bigger one in there, i would...

two fwiw...

- 4k tech won't do you much good unless you are sitting at essentially a distance that is 1 with screen width... much farther than that, and you can't resolve it...

- lots of mythology about "need dark room, etc."... what you need is a light-controlled room, the "right" screen material for your application, and a bit of imagination...

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Roughly around the same here. 120" diagonal, 10 feet away. Couldn't be happier.

I'm sure there are minutiae that could make it technically more perfect, but sometimes I just gotta reflect on how lucky we are to have a freaking movie screen in our houses.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

... but sometimes I just gotta reflect on how lucky we are to have a freaking movie screen in our houses.

true dat!! even though mine gets used far more for sports than it does movies...

#94 4 years ago

My eyes are 13.5 feet away from a 10 foot diagonal screen.

Honestly I think 100" is the ideal size at my distance yet I still went 120"

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

sometimes I just gotta reflect on how lucky we are to have a freaking movie screen in our houses.

Man ain't that the truth. There are plenty of things in life we buy that are nothing more than things. This theater I'm working on however sincerely does improve the quality of my life. Next up is a big green egg smoker... I'm 100% sure smoked brisket will improve my life too lol

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

My eyes are 13.5 feet away from a 10 foot diagonal screen.
    Honestly I think 100" is the ideal size at my distance yet I still went 120"

nah, you made the right decision...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 85.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside