(Topic ID: 83083)

Project/Mod: Soundproofing a Pinball Machine (Stern ST Pro)

By Disloid

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Shay
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140315_163655.jpg
image-698.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_6886.jpg
IMG_6888.jpg
SP10.JPG
SP11.JPG
SP9.JPG
SP8.JPG
SP5.JPG
SP6.JPG
SP7.JPG
SP4.JPG
SP3.JPG
SP2.JPG
SP1.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Why?
I live in a mid-terraced house and as much as I’m loving my new table it’s way noisier than my old CFTBL due to thinner cabinet panels and metal (backbox) panels. These create/allow more of the mechanical noise from the solenoids and balls to escape. And there are more solenoids, multi-balls and manic action to make noise. As much as I enjoy this I need to consider the neighbours.

Result/benefits?
I was aiming to reduce mechanical noise (not speaker audio) and this was achieved, but not to a point where it dulled the gameplay enjoyment. It has taken a lot of the harshness and clatter out of the overall sound whilst leaving the deeper thuds. So I was happy with this but there was an unexpected benefit that the whole machine now felt as though it was of a much more solid and improved build quality all round. It really does feel like a superior machine.
So even if you don’t need to bother about noise you may want to consider trying this.

General Notes-
I applied this to my new Stern but I’m pretty sure the principle will apply to other machines. If any manufacturers read this they should consider trialling this and maybe offering it as an option for home users, as it really does feel better, sound better and would be simple to install during the build process.

I’ve done the best I could but there may be materials better suited to this than I have used. I couldn’t find any information about doing this sort of thing. I emailed Stern who kindly replied but said they had no idea about soundproofing a pin! Likewise from the soundproofing manufacturers. I ended up using some Silent Coat 2mm Damping Mat and Absorber 15mm ‘egg box’ foam after watching the simple demo below and then finding the materials relatively cheap on eBay - £60 in total. However I now think that the Damping Mat does not work as well on wood, or that I should have chosen a thicker version? If anyone knows better please comment below. Also I was unsure of how much space there would be for the foam and again you could probably go with the 30mm if you wanted.

SP5.JPGSP5.JPG

Method-

Removing The Playfield: I lifted the playfield into the usual upright position and uncoiled the wiring loom and loosely tied the bundles together. Unfortunately some of the cables appeared to have connectors up in the backbox so I couldn’t easily completely disconnect the loom. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but if so it would be so much nicer if manufacturers could make the loom easily disconnectable from within the cabinet. I then got a friend to help me lift the playfield out using the secure parts circled in red and rested the front legs on the coffee table and the rear on a camera tripod. A little precarious but it did the job.
SP1.JPGSP1.JPG
SP2.JPGSP2.JPG

OT But Cool: First job was to install the PinGraffix decal blades that had been waiting for 6 weeks for me to get round to removing the playfield. An excellent addition.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/%E2%80%A2star-trek-le-pinblades-first-glimpse%E2%80%A2
SP3.JPGSP3.JPG
SP4.JPGSP4.JPG

Applying Damping Mat: This is bitumen(?) backed foil that comes with wax paper over the bitumen. It doesn’t need to cover the whole surface, see video link above, so I cut it into reasonable pieces for the most easily accessible areas of cabinet. The bitumen just sticks to the wood. I also stuck some in the backbox below the mobo's.
SP6.JPGSP6.JPG
SP7.JPGSP7.JPG
SP8.JPGSP8.JPG

Applying Absorber Foam: This is glue backed foam, very sticky. I cut this to go over the Damping Mat to hide it and help secure it, plus I wanted to cover more area with the foam. I was a bit lazy and covered the easily accessible areas. If you took more time you could unscrew some of the wiring fixings and cover more cabinet. Take care not to cover up the ventilation holes, circled in red. I wasn’t quite sure how far up the cabinet I could go without it catching on the playfield or wiring so I used the line of just below the support rail, which seemed to be about right as you can see from the last internal pic, underlined in red in both pics.
SP9.JPGSP9.JPG
SP10.JPGSP10.JPG
SP11.JPGSP11.JPG

Replacing The Playfield: Needs to be done slowly and carefully if possible, especially with the blades in place, I managed to nick mine I would suggest lowering in at an angle to the side and then twisting it round once below the top? Anyway, lower it onto the support rails and slide back as normal.

Then enjoy playing a plusher sounding pin

I've posted this because I couldn't find any information on the subject.
Hope this is of some use or interest, cheers Mark

#3 10 years ago

Thanks

#4 10 years ago

Did you by chance use a db meter to see how much the sound was dampened?

If someone here could test their virgin game and you could do your converted game, it would give everyone an instant cost/benefit ratio.

Anyone with a good home theater or a band/dj setup will have a meter if you don't want to buy one.

#5 10 years ago

Nice job, when ur ready to mute the game our kits have that built into the headphone adapters.

Lorenzo
Pinnovators.com

#6 10 years ago

Also, is the foam flame retardant?

We don't want everyone to have their own Great White moment.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you by chance use a db meter to see how much the sound was dampened?
If someone here could test their virgin game and you could do your converted game, it would give everyone an instant cost/benefit ratio.
Anyone with a good home theater or a band/dj setup will have a meter if you don't want to buy one.

I downloaded a db meter for my mobile phone to try this but on reading up on these types of meters it seems they're pretty limited due to the mic properties in phones. I looked at hiring a proper db meter for the day but the cost was way too much. All I can say is that there is a definite reduction in volume, mainly at the higher end of the spectrum, which means a lot of the 'rattling' sounds were dampened.

Re: fire retardant, I was looking into this while searching for products, but now I've re-visited the Silent Coat pages I notice they don't mention this, so I've emailed them the question. The foam in the installation isn't actually touching anything that may get hot but it's worth bearing in mind with other machines. Some other foam makers were definitely quoting the highest flame retardant ratings, so maybe shop around for products?

P.S. as much as I love fireworks I don't intend to be adding them to my pin, though I wouldn't put it past some of the Metallica owners

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Disloid:

P.S. as much as I love fireworks I don't intend to be adding them to my pin

Pins catch fire all by themselves, all the time.

Coils overheat, transistors and resistors burn.

Just pull a tuff of foam off and take it outside and hold it to a flame. If it ignites, you had added A LOT of fuel to a pinball fire.

After the Great White incident, every band I know of tore off a piece of foam at the clubs and checked if it was flammable.

IMG_6888.jpgIMG_6888.jpg
#9 10 years ago

IMG_6886.jpgIMG_6886.jpg

#10 10 years ago

I've done almost the same thing (different material) to one of my pins, sadly when not covering up the ventilation holes much of the "noise" escapes through these gaps. I'm thinking if you have a 100% led converted pin much of the heat disappears and maybe then covering up the ventilation holes is no biggie?

#11 10 years ago

I guess you could make some foam plugs for the vent holes?

Only plug them at night?

#12 10 years ago

Just saw these at tractor supplyimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-698.jpgimage-698.jpg

1 week later
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just pull a tuff of foam off and take it outside and hold it to a flame. If it ignites, you had added A LOT of fuel to a pinball fire.

Ok, finally got round to trying this on a spare piece. After holding four matches to it it caught fire but the flame dwindled and went out on it's own. I emailed the distributors about the rating and they said they got no response from the manufacturers despite several requests. So it appears to be flame retardant but I don't know about an official rating.

20140315_163655.jpg20140315_163655.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Cool.

A single test can put 100 great theories to rest!

2 months later
#15 9 years ago

I did the same thing to my machine, without the damping mat. I like the results too, however i wasn't able to reduce the noise to the amount I want. But I know I'm asking too much

Another thing I've noticed, the bass sounds are much stronger now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/projectmod-soundproofing-my-stern-st-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.