(Topic ID: 116874)

Project Yabba Dabba Doo - adventures of first time operating!

By johnwartjr

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by RampShot11
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5931.JPG
IMG_5929.JPG
IMG_5917.JPG
IMG_5918.JPG
IMG_5899.JPG
IMG_5898.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5894.JPG
IMG_5890.JPG
IMG_5889.JPG
image-946.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_5873.JPG
IMG_5871.JPG
IMG_5862.JPG
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

How do you prefer to clean the boards?

Scrubbing bubbles. Spray the board down, scrub with a paintbrush, rinse, rinse with 91% or better isopropryl alcohol, then dry with the air compressor.

I always set them in front of a fan for a few days as well to make sure they are completely dry - but you really need to use a blow gun and make sure all the areas that could trap water are completely dry.

#52 9 years ago

Hey John, great thread! I've wondered what would work well to clean boards, but have been apprehensive to try anything much more than alcohol. Which scrubbing bubbles do you like to use on the boards? Is it this one?

http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/Products/Pages/multisurface-bathroom-cleaner.aspx
Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 8.31.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-22 at 8.31.09 AM.png

I've been on the fence for a while on getting a larger sonic cleaner, mainly just because of how often I use it, but I think based on your experience with yours I might go ahead and get one. I'm curious about how loud it is though. I've not heard that in other threads where folks are talking about the brand you got. How bad is it?

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

How do you prefer to clean the boards?

I have always put them in the dishwasher. Not kidding either. Just use compressed air to blow them out then dry for several days like John says.

#54 9 years ago

I use John's method. I wouldn't put anything with lead in the dishwasher unless it is designated for cleaning parts.

#55 9 years ago

do you have to pull socketed chips before cleaning?

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I use John's method. I wouldn't put anything with lead in the dishwasher unless it is designated for cleaning parts.

Lead cant make you sick

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

do you have to pull socketed chips before cleaning?

Socketed chips and fuses are a must. Gotta pull them.

On older boards, say Sys 7 or earlier, pull any relays, as they are not sealed. DIP switches also are not sealed on these boards.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from peclark:

Hey John, great thread! I've wondered what would work well to clean boards, but have been apprehensive to try anything much more than alcohol. Which scrubbing bubbles do you like to use on the boards? Is it this one?
http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/Products/Pages/multisurface-bathroom-cleaner.aspx

I've been on the fence for a while on getting a larger sonic cleaner, mainly just because of how often I use it, but I think based on your experience with yours I might go ahead and get one. I'm curious about how loud it is though. I've not heard that in other threads where folks are talking about the brand you got. How bad is it?

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 8.31.0... 140 KB

I use the stuff in the aerosol can. It foams and you can just watch junk run off the boards.

As far as the ultrasonic, it definitely is loud. All 3 I've owned were loud. No louder than my tumblers or air compressor, though

#59 9 years ago

Replacement drop target frame arrived today!

This is from a Shadow. Trimmed to clear some things I'd guess - but it's pretty dang close.

IMG_5691.JPGIMG_5691.JPGIMG_5692.JPGIMG_5692.JPG

The only missing thing is the hardware that goes in the bottom of the frame to limit how far the reset arm can drop. I can drill the frame and use a machine screw with 2 SEMS locknuts - one on each side of the frame - to replicate the purpose.

IMG_5693.JPGIMG_5693.JPG

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

A few cosmetic items for the restoration roll in...

Where did you get the decal set with the serial number stickers?

#61 9 years ago

Really getting crippled by the lack of quality warm weather - I need to do some sanding and painting to move forward very fast.

Little things going on - ordered a few more parts. Bought a full Cointaker LED kit, including flashers and did the non ghosting upgrade. Pinside discount saved me $41.20!

Still trying to find a nice used playfield and a drop target bracket. Found a NOS one at PPS, but it has drywall screw holes in it, and $600 is above what I feel it's worth, considering the fact that it'd need repair, clear, and isn't dimpled/drilled.

Debating over whether or not this is the game I want to 'test' the ezsbc LM323 and 7812 regulator replacements on. I have a couple of each, to try them out.

Been working on boards for customers most of the day. Hope to dive into some of the Flintstones assemblies tonight. And maybe finish up the boards, too.

#62 9 years ago

Dove in tonight and got a fair amount done after finishing up some customer boards.

CPU had a ramtron added, don't want to leave batteries in the game - no different than any of my others

IMG_5747.JPGIMG_5747.JPG

Once rebuilt, I stuck it in the test rig to burn in a bit.

Did a little more to the driver than I initially planned. I got a couple of the EZ SBC LM323 regulator replacements, and thought I'd give them a try on this. Really want to vet them as a solution before I offer them to my customers. Also replaced C4, as C5 had been replaced by the previous tech to work on this board, but not C4. Upgraded from 100 ufd to 470 ufd. Doesn't quite fit on the board 'right', but it's doable.

Also replaced the LM7812 at Q1 with one of EZSBC's products and the 100ufd cap at C2. C2 is known on these boards at this point to start leaking and spew electrolyte on the boards, and eat up traces. So, I thought I'd nip that in the bud before it happens.

I also put fuses in the driver board, verifying the values match the manual. And I replaced the 2 secondary input headers, and the header taking power from the driver board to the CPU. These were all a bit tarnished, and the jumper wires originally connecting the TPs on the driver board to the CPU indicate that this may have been a weak point. I'll repin the harnesses that plug in to these plugs as well.

Hopefully, this brings the temp in the backbox down a bit, and makes it more stable. The 7812s don't often go bad - I change a few LM323s, but I figured I'd try the 7812 replacement at the same time. It doesn't require a heatsink!IMG_5748.JPGIMG_5748.JPG

Also hooked up the FS DMD driver, after verifying fuse values.

IMG_5750.JPGIMG_5750.JPGIMG_5751.JPGIMG_5751.JPG

#63 9 years ago

John if you ever get rid of this game keep me in mind I'm working on my John Trudeau DMD collection.

#64 9 years ago

As a noob I wondered if anyone operated games anymore. Do you think it'll pay for itself or more?

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

As a noob I wondered if anyone operated games anymore. Do you think it'll pay for itself or more?

Yes, people still operate games. I know a number of operators. None of them are driving a Benz or wearing lots of jewelry

Do I think it'll pay for itself? If my labor is free, at a 50% split, I don't see it paying for itself short term. I paid $550 for this game several years ago, but have put a LOT of parts into it - haven't set back and totaled it up - but I know I'm over 1k on the game and parts at this point.

But, I always wanted to try operating to share the love of pinball with people who don't know about it, or have never played a completely/properly working game. Let's face it, that's not gonna happen in my basement - if some weirdo I didn't know said 'hey, do you wanna come over to my basement and play some pinball??', I'd probably fear for my life and run.

What'll happen down the road, I don't know. It's possible I could hate it, and decide it's not for me and never try it again. I may enjoy it, and decide I need more games on route. Only time will tell!

#66 9 years ago

Well good luck with it. If I were nearby I would feed it many dollars. There is a Road Show about a quarter mile from me at a laundromat that I stop by and feed a dollar often even though it's half broken. (Dozer doesn't operate or sense hits among many other problems.) I wish I could leave a baggy with some parts and a "please fix!" note.

#67 9 years ago

Hi John, I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner and was wondering if you can clean lamp boards in it without damaging them? Figured you would know. Btw I am loving this thing so far. It does a great job cleaning small brackets and flipper parts. Thanks.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Hi John, I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner and was wondering if you can clean lamp boards in it without damaging them? Figured you would know. Btw I am loving this thing so far. It does a great job cleaning small brackets and flipper parts. Thanks.

I have, no problem. On boards that've been suspected to high-heat I wouldn't recommend it though - I've had masking and traces come off.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I have, no problem. On boards that've been suspected to high-heat I wouldn't recommend it though - I've had masking and traces come off.

So should I no heat the water when I put them in the cleaner? The lamp boards I have look fine but just very very dirty. Black dust is imbedded into some of the boards. Thanks.

#70 9 years ago

Lamp boards should be fine - do 'em in heated water. Other boards (like my original Opto boards) had too much damage under the 1/2w resistors that the traces were destroyed in the cleaner.

#71 9 years ago

keep up the good work

#72 9 years ago

I just use scrubbing bubbles and a paintbrush on lamp boards. Don't know that I'm ready to clean boards in my ultrasonic.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Lamp boards should be fine - do 'em in heated water. Other boards (like my original Opto boards) had too much damage under the 1/2w resistors that the traces were destroyed in the cleaner.

Ok thanks. I have some doubles for my JD, so maybe i'll try it on a couples spares first.

#74 9 years ago

Some more parts rolling in today...

What do you do when your black targets are beat to death, but you can't buy them anywhere?

I did a little math, 13 targets in this game, about $7 per target (if I could get them all...) - all new targets would be $91 + shipping - or, $1.25 per face at Planetary Pinball, 25 cents or less per target for new foam, 15 cents or so per target for new rivets - under $2 per target to make them work and look good as new!

IMG_5763.JPGIMG_5763.JPG

And, the magical LED kit. Never been a LED fan, but I'm gonna give it a try so I can have an educated opinion. Went with a kit for the first time, versus rolling my own.

IMG_5764.JPGIMG_5764.JPG

#75 9 years ago

Glad you got the upgrade. No ghosting!

#76 9 years ago

IMG_5821.JPGIMG_5821.JPGIMG_5822.JPGIMG_5822.JPG

It finally warmed up in Indiana!

I painted the interior of the cabinet and backbox. Looks a lot better!

Now I can start reassembling the game!

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

It finally warmed up in Indiana!

yeah waiting for things to dry up a bit i want to take the RC cars out

#78 9 years ago

Thanks for documenting this. I would love to have a Flintstones some day.

Where did you find the label set you show earlier in your thread?

#79 9 years ago

Bought 2 new ramps for the game today, one all the way from Australia! My originals are pretty horrid. Since it's going on route for now, I will see if I can salvage them enough to use them on route, until it comes home, but I'm not sure there is enough left to save.

Suddenly, I'm starting to realize why this game was $550. The 'steal' may have turned into a not such a steal.. keep in mind, that price was almost 10 year ago pricing - a fraction of what today's prices are.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Bought 2 new ramps for the game today, one all the way from Australia! My originals are pretty horrid. Since it's going on route for now, I will see if I can salvage them enough to use them on route, until it comes home, but I'm not sure there is enough left to save.
Suddenly, I'm starting to realize why this game was $550. The 'steal' may have turned into a not such a steal.. keep in mind, that price was almost 10 year ago pricing - a fraction of what today's prices are.

I am glad you posted that last part. When you listed earlier in the thread that you had picked this machine up for $550 I thought that you had robbed someone lol. I also would love to own a Flinstones some day.

#81 9 years ago

John:

I see your pics of the cab/backbox being painted. Did you do any exterior painted and/or patching of wood?

I'm likely restoring my wh20 backbox in the spring and like to hear other's experiences. Did you use spray paint? Primer?

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

John:
I see your pics of the cab/backbox being painted. Did you do any exterior painted and/or patching of wood?
I'm likely restoring my wh20 backbox in the spring and like to hear other's experiences. Did you use spray paint? Primer?

I used spray paint. Rust Oleum Painters Touch Semi Gloss Black. I didn't prime the wood.

I masked the floor, other than the transformer board, as the transformer board was pretty hammered and stained up, and sanding won't clean it up as well as I'd like.

I filled all the drill holes in the front of the cab with hardwood dowels. I'll touch them up with black paint. The front of the cabinet is almost all black anyways. That is as much to keep things from getting inserted in holes as it is to make it look better.

There's a fair amount of wood damage on the exterior of this cabinet. I'm in a position where I'm trying to decide the direction to go long-term. I'm not an artist. Giving me a paintbrush is generally a mistake. I can take a black paint marker when I'm done, and do some touch ups, but I can't make it look CQ.

My plans long term for this game, if I decide to make it a collection 'keeper', would be to restore it again, with some custom cabinet artwork using the Hanna Barbara characters, assuming this title never gets remade (I'd say there's a good chance it won't - but long term, we have Rollergames and a few other non-A titles, so I don't want to say NEVER), and a restored / CC'd playfield with the original characters airbrushed in, similar to the one HSA did.

Obviously, there are a lot of factors in this picture that are yet unknown. Maybe I'll love it, and I'll decide I want a minty fresh one that doesn't need restored. Maybe I'll like the way it earns and leave it on route. Maybe I'll decide I don't like it after all, and sell it the way it ends up.

I use the same painters touch paint on the speaker panel, as well as all the carriage bolts going through the cabinet - the carriage bolt heads will be primed, they will be painted, and I may clearcoat them. I also use it on backbox hinges if they need it.

My goal is to have a decent cosmetic game that plays the way it was intended, and is reliable. This one will not be a high end restoration, I'd start with a better quality base game if that were the intention.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I am glad you posted that last part. When you listed earlier in the thread that you had picked this machine up for $550 I thought that you had robbed someone lol. I also would love to own a Flinstones some day.

I got the game in several boxes, never got to see it work, it was one of the filthiest games I've ever seen, and I've spent at least as much in parts as I paid for the game.

In retrospect, not even considering the fact that it's been sitting in my storage unit for more than 5 years, I would've been money ahead to buy a nice one.

But, it is what it is, and I'm going to get a good player out of it, minimally.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I got the game in several boxes, never got to see it work, it was one of the filthiest games I've ever seen, and I've spent at least as much in parts as I paid for the game.
In retrospect, not even considering the fact that it's been sitting in my storage unit for more than 5 years, I would've been money ahead to buy a nice one.
But, it is what it is, and I'm going to get a good player out of it, minimally.

I am with you. That is my kind of game honestly. I never have enough cash to outright buy nice ones so I am in the buy one rough and make it nice category.

#85 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Old ratty stained up lamp insert. No amount of cleaning would remove all the bulb burn marks.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Some white krylon does the trick. It took about 6 faint coats to cover everything up.

Excuse the mud on the back porch, my 7 year old digs beside it sometimes, and I need to get the garden hose out and spray the patio down - but it has been raining on and off all week, so I don't want to soak the back yard anymore right now.

#86 9 years ago

First new ramp arrived! 2nd one is coming from Oz, so I'm sure it'll take a couple weeks

image.jpgimage.jpg

#87 9 years ago

I got my right ramp last week from Marco and the left just arrived today from OZ too. Do you have a line on the ramp RESCUE decals? Can't find them in stock anywhere.

#88 9 years ago

No clue on the decals, I'll transfer mine as they are ok.

How long did the shipment take from overseas? Did you choose air mail or ?

#89 9 years ago

I bought the clear apron through ebay and it arrived in about 12 days and shipping was about $ 65. The next day I bought the left ramp and some other decals from their site and it was about 13 days and shipping was about $ 16. I guess this was the cheapest shipping option. Don't know why they did not combine them in the same box.

How do you go about transferring decals?

#90 9 years ago

Use freeze spray or an upside down can of canned air to freeze the decal. Clean the adhesive off the old decal with goo gone. Clean the decal good with dawn soap and warm water and let it dry. Use 3m 467MP tape (double faced with clear adhesive) to put the adhesive back on the artwork, and then re-apply to the new ramp

Done it many times, it's really not bad.

#91 9 years ago

So, I needed to get the speaker panel configured for the 5-1/4 speakers.

One side is already done - easy peasy.

So, how to get the 5-1/4 on the other side?

Well, Tony's Guide is a good start..

http://dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

I have done probably 10 games using his guide and have always been happy. I believe it's best on DCS or later games - the earlier pre DCS games just don't have the power to drive better speakers, unless you want to add an amp, and I have never found one I wanted to go that far with.

So, I started with this..

IMG_5853.JPGIMG_5853.JPG

My Dad is a woodworker, so I asked him to make me a jig after looking at Tony's site. Figured it would be the easiest way to get the hole in the right place.

IMG_5854.JPGIMG_5854.JPG

A router is probably an even better choice, but I don't have a router, and I do have a drill press. I'm kinda thinking I might like to have a router for a number of reasons, but that's another discussion

So, stick the speaker panel in the jig, put the circle cutter in the drill press.. couple clamps for good measure

IMG_5855.JPGIMG_5855.JPG

Drill a little

IMG_5856.JPGIMG_5856.JPG

Drill a little more..

IMG_5857.JPGIMG_5857.JPG

Now, the speaker hole is perfectly sized, in the right spot!

I forgot to take pictures of the process of using a speed square to mark out the new holes, and then drilling new holes, but Tony's site covers that pretty well.

Then, I use a forstner bit to cut the t-nut recess with the drill press

IMG_5859.JPGIMG_5859.JPG

Don't drill all the way through the panel. Just drill enough so the flange of the t-nut will fit below the speaker grill

IMG_5860.JPGIMG_5860.JPG

Ready to re-attach t-nuts!

IMG_5862.JPGIMG_5862.JPG

Now, I've had a few of these made by a buddy on a CNC mill.. unfortunately, he no longer has access to the CNC. His work looked nicer than mine. His machine was a million bucks. My drill press is a hand-me-down from my Dad, with a jig made out of scrap lumber, a $20 circle cutter, and a $10 forstner drill bit set from Harbor Freight.

Once the t-nuts are installed, and the panel is resprayed.. my modified speaker panel looks pretty much as good to his from the players perspective, and once the speaker is installed on the back side, you'll never notice if a screw is off by a centimeter or something

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Use freeze spray or an upside down can of canned air to freeze the decal. Clean the adhesive off the old decal with goo gone. Clean the decal good with dawn soap and warm water and let it dry. Use 3m 467MP tape (double faced with clear adhesive) to put the adhesive back on the artwork, and then re-apply to the new ramp
Done it many times, it's really not bad.

I never knew that. Thanks for the tips I'm going to try them out on my pinbot that I am getting ready to go through

#93 9 years ago

Great thread.
Love FS.

#94 9 years ago

John you seem very resourceful. Why aren't you cleaning and flaming that ramp?

#95 9 years ago

Ramp is heavily blown out. When I strip it down, I'll clean it up and reasses. Wanted to order the ramps while I could find them, because if I wait until I need them, they may not be there

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Ramp is heavily blown out. When I strip it down, I'll clean it up and reasses. Wanted to order the ramps while I could find them, because if I wait until I need them, they may not be there

That is a good point. Seems like plastic ramps are getting harder and harder to obtain.

#97 9 years ago

Started refinishing the cabinet carriage bolts today. This game had been in a very humid or moist environment, so a lot of fasteners had surface rust on them. The rust cleaned off very easily, but the finish left was pretty sub par.

This really is a fairly straightforward process.

I cleaned them in the ultrasonic and tumbled them. Once I tumbled them, I chucked them in a drill, and pushed them into a scotch brite sanding pad to rough the surface up real well, and make sure there was nothing left on the heads of the bolts after they'd sat for awhile, sorted in the parts trays.

Then, I wiped the heads of the bolts down with alcohol, and stuck them in a cardboard box. I made Xs in the cardboard box spaced apart, and shoved each bolt into one of the Xs

IMG_5871.JPGIMG_5871.JPG

Let them dry for a bit, and shot them with black primer.

IMG_5873.JPGIMG_5873.JPG

After the first coat dried, I gave them a 2nd coat, as I found a few spots the first coat didn't cover.

The primer is rather satin-y, I'll spray them with the semigloss tomorrow, then depending on the results, I may clearcoat them.

#98 9 years ago

This is a great thread looking forward to reading more!

#99 9 years ago

Just caught this thread and love it, great work!

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Yes, people still operate games. I know a number of operators. None of them are driving a Benz or wearing lots of jewelry
Do I think it'll pay for itself? If my labor is free, at a 50% split, I don't see it paying for itself short term. I paid $550 for this game several years ago, but have put a LOT of parts into it - haven't set back and totaled it up - but I know I'm over 1k on the game and parts at this point.
But, I always wanted to try operating to share the love of pinball with people who don't know about it, or have never played a completely/properly working game. Let's face it, that's not gonna happen in my basement - if some weirdo I didn't know said 'hey, do you wanna come over to my basement and play some pinball??', I'd probably fear for my life and run.
What'll happen down the road, I don't know. It's possible I could hate it, and decide it's not for me and never try it again. I may enjoy it, and decide I need more games on route. Only time will tell!

it will be good if people could put ones on route if its a place they trust and that they don't want to profit per say, more spread the goodwill and pocket a few bucks on the process, just an idea for someone out there

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 6.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-yabba-dabba-doo-adventures-of-first-time-operating/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.