(Topic ID: 12205)

Project Tron Pro update: COMPLETE with EL wire instructions.

By coasterguy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

S_568C_M.jpg
tron_003.jpg
IMG_4629.JPG
balsa_box_3.JPG
balsa_box_2.JPG
balsa_box_1.JPG
el_wire_2.JPG
el_wire_1.JPG
Coolight_Glo_wire_-Finished_!!_011.JPG
Coolight_Glo_wire_-Finished_!!_016.JPG
image.jpg
1006121656a.jpg
DSC01402.jpg
DSC01418.jpg
DSC01420.jpg
tronel.jpg
There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 12 years ago

Yes you can rewire the Service outlet inside of the power box, if I remember right just move one wire over to the switch.. I can look Monday if you wish CG

#152 12 years ago

Thanks. That would be great.

#153 12 years ago

Guess I had better take some pinballs home again so I can do "Research" on the nights and weekends =)

#154 12 years ago

OK CG, Here is how to make the Service outlet Switch on and off with the Power Switch under the Game

UNPLUG Game from the Wall.. This is live unswitched AC Power!

Remove the 4 1/4 Screws holding the power control box down, front right corner of Cabinet

Lift Box Up to Access wires under the box

Move the Black Wire coming from the Service outlet plug going into the In side of the Line Filter to the Black Wires that are Clear Crimped Caped together Should be 3-4 of them total in the Crimping(Be sure to Replace the Crimp cap, or use a wire nut, this is live AC)

Replace Cover and Screws, and Test

One last thing.. I wouldn't do this for anything that pulls much amps (your EL Lighting doesn't) as it is now running through the line filter.

See attachment's for picture instructions

DSC_0056.JPGDSC_0056.JPG DSC_0049.JPGDSC_0049.JPG

#155 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

It came with the yellow bats and they had black rubbers on them. I have not decided where to go with them. I don't mind them in person but in pics they stand out.

I was thinking of trying black bats with an orange rubber on the left and a blue on the right.

... and I'm finding myself sexually attracted to this trim package Really diggin' it.

#156 12 years ago

Thanks gex!

#157 12 years ago

The Pics have notes in them but you have to click on them the print is to small sorry =(

#158 12 years ago

I have not made that box switch yet. Still going to try the other inverter first. For now though, I did just install the recognizer mod. I think the white lights are a little bright. I might black them out a little with some black paint. have not decided yet. But it looks great. It is also well made by Kimballs pinball.

IMG_0425.JPGIMG_0425.JPG IMG_04260000.JPGIMG_04260000.JPG IMG_04270000.JPGIMG_04270000.JPG

#159 12 years ago

Looks really nice, good job on the modding the pro =)
Also is the Flynn's sign mod still available, and at what cost?

Thanks,
Dave

#160 12 years ago
Quoted from VECTOR-INVADER:

Also is the Flynn's sign mod still available, and at what cost?

I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

#162 12 years ago

Thanks Gambit =)

#163 12 years ago

DK's Flynn mods are almost sold out BTW, I just got an email about them yesterday.

- B

#164 12 years ago

Ok gang. Here is the rest of it like I promised. Now, I know their would be several sites and ways to make EL wire work. Here is what worked the best for me.

I ordered my EL wire from
http://www.coolight.com/default.asp

The actual items needed in your cart should look like this.

http://www.coolight.com/category-s/59.htm
Choose BLUE/GREEN and ORANGE 5.00mm (If you like my colors) I chose quantity 13 of each. rather have a little extra on the ends like in the pics. Just in case. I went with 5mm as it does not show little bends. It looks smoother to me than the thin wire. It was a little snug on the right return ramp (left side) by the one switch but it worked.

http://www.coolight.com/12-5Vdc-Wall-transformer-800ma-w-2-5mm-plug-p/tr12.5v800.htm
One of these. This is the white plug into the service outlet like in photo.

http://www.coolight.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CO1MFF&CartID=6
1 of these.

http://www.coolight.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CO1MF&CartID=7
2 of these

http://www.coolight.com/product-p/cl-isc-12v-35-50ft.htm
one of these. this is the inverter. Little blue box in pics.

http://www.coolight.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LeadWire%2D22g%2F2c%2DBlk&CartID=5
This is just wire to give you plenty of running length. I chose quantity 6. or 6 feet. it worked well.

http://www.coolight.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Connection%2FSolder%2DService&CartID=4
4 of these. This is the service charge per connection for them to wire it all for you.

All of this in my mock cart I just did to type this was $73.10 without shipping.

Now this is super important. I actually wrote this to them in the order comment to their staff.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coolight staff:
Thanks for reading this. I need this to arrive all connected and ready to go as follows please.
From the ac wall plug I am purchasing I need the inverter connected with about 3 foot of wire between the two. Then from the inverter I need 6 feet of the black lead I have purchased leading to the splitter from each splitter with the 2 additional connectors I have purchased I need approx 1.5 foot of black lead wire on each of them leading to each color (13') of the EL wire. This will be to light to plastic ramps on a pinball machine. Thank you very much for doing this for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So when you get it it will be in a bag ready to go. First, follow GEX instructions in the post above and wire the service box to turn on and off with the pin. It took me 10 minutes to do it. His instructions are spot on! Thanks GEX!
Then run your wire through the holes into and out of the ramps on either side. (Look at my pics).
Then reconnect at the Y adaptor if you disconnected them out of the bag. They should have arrived all together on one big piece of awesomeness. Run your wires neatly like in my phots. I used gallery putty to stick the blue inverter to the cabinet. then plugged them in. THat's ot

Also in the photo you see I did use the 12VOLT harness from stern for the Flynn sign mod and the recognizer mod. I just used the splitter from Pinball life and that was it. Simple.

This Tron project was fun to do and turned out awesome. I did already sell it though. It is going to North Carolina on Saturday. I have use for the cash though I absolutely love the game. Follow these instructions and it should be perfect!

IMG_04340000.JPGIMG_04340000.JPG IMG_0433.JPGIMG_0433.JPG IMG_04350000.JPGIMG_04350000.JPG

#165 12 years ago

two more

IMG_04360000.JPGIMG_04360000.JPG IMG_04370000.JPGIMG_04370000.JPG

#166 12 years ago

http://www.dkpinball.com/DKWP/?page_id=181

Before I got Tron ready to move I had been using this awesome little guy. I am going to send it back to Mike at dkpinball. He was kind enough to send it to me to try it out. It is cool. On new stern games you can use this to power mods, dim mods, it has a couple options. It also has a pass thru so you still have your stern 12+ harness available. The coolest is that the two alligator clips just get a signal from anywhere on the GI circuit so you can make whatever mod you have plugged sync with the GI lights. It is a very cool device and has he makes more of them I would absolutely pick one up if you like to play around like I do. Great work Mike! Keep it up and thanks. I will have this back to you ASAP.
CG

#167 12 years ago

Here is how the EL wire came but it did not have the AC adaptor on it as I ordered that after I had my issues with the 12volt line. But your should come like this with the adaptor as well.

IMG_0341.JPGIMG_0341.JPG

#168 12 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

OK CG, Here is how to make the Service outlet Switch on and off with the Power Switch under the Game

Remove the 4 1/4 Screws holding the power control box down, front right corner of Cabinet

Move the Black Wire coming from the Service outlet plug going into the In side of the Line Filter to the Black Wires that are Clear Crimped Caped together Should be 3-4 of them total in the Crimping(Be sure to Replace the Crimp cap, or use a wire nut, this is live AC)

One last thing.. I wouldn't do this for anything that pulls much amps (your EL Lighting doesn't) as it is now running through the line filter.

This was quick and easy. I had to cut off sterns crimp cap. You will need a large crimp cap as their will end up being 4 thick wires to combine but that is it. Make sure it is on tight before you put it back together.
Thanks again GEX!

#169 12 years ago

Can I go to sleep now?

#170 12 years ago

Nice! thanks for posting all the info. I'm starting to do mine in another Tron Pro thread here, however I'm taking a few different routes to get a different light show.

It's shame you sold it, but I'm sure the new owner will be happy.

#171 12 years ago

So, did you try the Modps to power the EL wire? How did that turn out? Still got the interference?

I was hoping to try it out myself to turn off the EL with the Games GI as i dont wish to go the service outlet route.

#172 12 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

If you consider these mods: New rubbers, arcade and Flynn mods, plastic protectors, apron cards, subwoofer, PDI glass, and toys they all could be added to the LE as well. Only extra costs to make similar to the LE are really for the PF supports, ramps, el wire, shaker, and LED's. That's probably $600-$750, which is much less then what it will run you for an LE. If you want to add chrome then of course it will cost more, but personally I like black trim better on this game and it's nice to not have the lollypop siderarmor covering the artwork. I am sure most of the LE owners will chime in saying it's never going to be a cool as the LE since it's not integrated, but not everyone is fortunate enough to have a LE (even though CG did have one at one point). So I applaud the effort and cannot wait to see the results.

The LE does not come with the shaker

#173 12 years ago

EXCELLENT write-up, thank you!! Looking forward to trying this.

Did you get your sticker yet?

#174 12 years ago

The sticker will be forwarded to the new owner if it does not arrive today. Thanks for the sticker they are so cool. I am bummed the game is sold but, I need the funds right now is all. Long boring story. Thanks again though.

#175 12 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

So, did you try the Modps to power the EL wire? How did that turn out? Still got the interference?

I was hoping to try it out myself to turn off the EL with the Games GI as i dont wish to go the service outlet route.

I did try the ModPS with the same interference present. Something about that hardwire 12 volt line that stern leaves must just have a lot of noise in it. The way I did it is great. IT does not blink with the GI or anything but it looks great. I actually like it when the game goes dark for a second and the ramps remain lit. It is VERY cool.

#176 12 years ago

Thanks CG. I was considering putting up my AFM in trade for an LE but you have turned my life around
I've been following this thread for weeks and would dare say your orange and blue EL combo looks better than the LE and more in tune with the Clue vs. TRON/Flynn theme. Awesome!!
Great job and thank you for posting all this.

#177 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

awesome. I did already sell it though. It is going to North Carolina on Saturday.

Waaah! North Carolina? There are some pinheads of ill repute out there, better be careful. Arkansas would have been a better resting place for the beast.

Great job. You should set up to do this mod for peeps, you could get $500-$1000 per machine you converted. It really looks incredible.

#178 12 years ago

bookmarked this thread
Nice job looks great!

#179 12 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

you could get $500-$1000 per machine you converted. It really looks incredible.

On top of the cost of the mods of course..

#180 12 years ago

I'd sure like to see stern sell full upgrade kits for any machines that they make in a "costco" version.

Either that, or stop the nonsense about making 3 different versions of the same game.

#181 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

On top of the cost of the mods of course..

Of course. I meant money in his pocket for his time. Trying to tempt the man...

#182 12 years ago

Trust me. If I can do this. Anyone in this forum can. I am not a Tech or "Very handy" by any means. Ask GAP.. LOL

#183 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Gexchange said:OK CG, Here is how to make the Service outlet Switch on and off with the Power Switch under the Game
This was quick and easy. I had to cut off sterns crimp cap. You will need a large crimp cap as their will end up being 4 thick wires to combine but that is it. Make sure it is on tight before you put it back together.
Thanks again GEX!

Sweet! Glad it worked for ya! You could use a twist cap rather then a Large crimp if you had too. would have to be a large twist cap though. This should work to switch the Service outlet of All Late Model Sterns incase people want to for running subs or what not. But Remember is needs to be fairly low Amps.

#184 12 years ago

I did use a large twist cap. Then I used strong electrical tape just so I felt better

#185 12 years ago

Great stuff!

#186 12 years ago

This is an awesome mod and its great to see it with the docs as well. I was curious if anyone has tried with Blue for Flynns side and Yellow for Clu's ramp? I was debating blue for both and Im torn between blue/blue and blue/yellow.

#187 12 years ago

I want to add green EL wire to the clear ramp on Congo. Could I use this basic setup for starters?

#188 12 years ago

You would have to play first. Measure ramps. Drill holes etc.... It would work though. Just adjust lengths of EL. Maybe measure with string first. Using the same order above but determining your own specific length needs. Would look awesome.

#189 12 years ago

wow, great job on all of your tron mods there coasterguy!

i think this el wire RAMP mod could def be something for future pins, give em that extra "umpff" that they really need.

bravo man!

#190 12 years ago

Placed my order. Thanks CG!!!
And I don't even have a TRON yet! Not worried though; I see one in my very near future

I was truly hung up on scoring an LE, but for the money, this is better. Best $80 mod ever!

1 week later
#191 12 years ago

So, I added the mod to my Tron and its awesome - Thanks for the setup ... One question though - I think its my transformer, I get a high pitch whine when I plug it in (This also happened when I just tested the EL Wire outside the machine) - Is this common???

#192 12 years ago
Quoted from PensFan66:

So, I added the mod to my Tron and its awesome - Thanks for the setup ... One question though - I think its my transformer, I get a high pitch whine when I plug it in (This also happened when I just tested the EL Wire outside the machine) - Is this common???

Post some pictures. Did you drill your ramps?

#193 12 years ago

pensfan: The high pitch whine is the inverter. It's normal.

pbk: coasterguy bought the LE ramps pre-drilled from pinball life. I drilled mine with no issues.

1 month later
#194 11 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

This should work to switch the Service outlet of All Late Model Sterns incase people want to for running subs or what not. But Remember is needs to be fairly low Amps.

Gexchange, would I be able to add a power strip like markmon mentioned to the Service outlet to run the 12v wall wort and a 10" sub at the same time ??

1 week later
#195 11 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

Gexchange, would I be able to add a power strip like markmon mentioned to the Service outlet to run the 12v wall wort and a 10" sub at the same time ??

Anyone ?? Maybe not a 6-8 plug strip, but a 2-3 plug splitter ?? Should be find as long as you are just doing some small things, like Sub, LEDs, and what not ??

#196 11 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

Anyone ?? Maybe not a 6-8 plug strip, but a 2-3 plug splitter ?? Should be find as long as you are just doing some small things, like Sub, LEDs, and what not

I don't see why not... just keep in mind the power draw at the circuit breaker.

#197 11 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

Anyone ?? Maybe not a 6-8 plug strip, but a 2-3 plug splitter ?? Should be find as long as you are just doing some small things, like Sub, LEDs, and what not ??

I would put the Sub on a smart power strip. That sub will draw a lot of power.
Similar to this.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Socket-Energy-Saving-Outlet/dp/B003P2UMQ2
let this turn your sub on and off.

#198 11 years ago

Wait a sec Tron LE's did not come with shakers? I kid you not but my NiB LE did, have it turned off as I'm not a shaker fan have even spoke with a friend about buying it off me. Does avatar LE come with a shaker? As I have one of those coming to me and I'm sure seller said its got shaker.

#199 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

I would put the Sub on a smart power strip. That sub will draw a lot of power.

The Sub has a rating of 50 watts, continuous power, with a peak of 100 watts. That does not seem too high, but I am not sure...

2 months later
#200 11 years ago

I just finished installing this and I took a couple pictures. This was very easy to do with all the great instructions provided. I went with the clear tape method which is almost invisible.
Thanks coasterguy and Gexchange

Tron.jpgTron.jpg Tron1.jpgTron1.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-tron-pro/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.