(Topic ID: 12205)

Project Tron Pro update: COMPLETE with EL wire instructions.

By coasterguy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

S_568C_M.jpg
tron_003.jpg
IMG_4629.JPG
balsa_box_3.JPG
balsa_box_2.JPG
balsa_box_1.JPG
el_wire_2.JPG
el_wire_1.JPG
Coolight_Glo_wire_-Finished_!!_011.JPG
Coolight_Glo_wire_-Finished_!!_016.JPG
image.jpg
1006121656a.jpg
DSC01402.jpg
DSC01418.jpg
DSC01420.jpg
tronel.jpg
There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 12 years ago

Here I go and wish me luck. I am ready to pimp my pro. Here is what I am starting with.

Mantis protector.
Changing ramps to the le ramps with pre-drilled holes. Pinball life
PF supports. pinball life
White & yellow rubbers. pinball life
LED's. Cointaker
Shaker Motor. GAP
Arcade mod. TILT Thanks Jeremy
Flynn sign mod. Thanks Mike
Pastic protectors. Pinbits
Apron cards. Pinball decals.
Toys coming from ebay.
2 kinds of EL wire to try. Cool lights 5mm.
External 10" sub. Polk audio on ebay.
Pdi Glass. Pinball decals.
I also want to add led's to recoginzer. Need to go to radio shack tomorrow. IMG_0340.jpgIMG_0340.jpg IMG_03410000.JPGIMG_03410000.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Thanks for doing the research and development for my future Tron project.
PRO is just fine for me as well, LE is pimp but not 7k pimp...

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Here I go and wish me luck. I am ready to pimp my pro. Here is what I am starting with.

Very cool Coaster please keep us posted on what you tried and what worked best for you it will be useful info! I am interested to see how it turns out.

#4 12 years ago

Congrats on collecting parts, but you need to get to work lol

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Changing ramps to the le ramps with pre-drilled holes. Pinball life
PF supports. pinball life
White & yellow rubbers. pinball life
LED's. Cointaker
Shaker Motor. GAP
Arcade mod. Thanks Northvibe
Flynn sign mod. Thanks Mike
Pastic protectors. Pinbits
Apron cards. Pinball decals.
Toys coming from ebay.
2 kinds of EL wire to try. Glow hut is the skinny and Cool lights in the thicker. Not sure yet.
External 10" sub. Polk audio on ebay.
Pdi Glass. Pinball decals.
I also want to add led's to recoginzer. Need to go to radio shack tomorrow.

Attachments IMG_03410000.JPG (275.2 KB, 0 downloads) 14 minutes old IMG_0340.jpg (159.4 KB, 0 downloads) 14 minutes old

Wow thats quite the extensive list. May have been cheaper just buying the LE after all.....lol

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

May have been cheaper just buying the LE after all.....lol

I thought he already had an L.E.

#7 12 years ago

I sold my LE early on to get the nice TAF. I regret that. But, I am happy with this project. They play the same.

#8 12 years ago

If you consider these mods: New rubbers, arcade and Flynn mods, plastic protectors, apron cards, subwoofer, PDI glass, and toys they all could be added to the LE as well. Only extra costs to make similar to the LE are really for the PF supports, ramps, el wire, shaker, and LED's. That's probably $600-$750, which is much less then what it will run you for an LE. If you want to add chrome then of course it will cost more, but personally I like black trim better on this game and it's nice to not have the lollypop siderarmor covering the artwork. I am sure most of the LE owners will chime in saying it's never going to be a cool as the LE since it's not integrated, but not everyone is fortunate enough to have a LE (even though CG did have one at one point). So I applaud the effort and cannot wait to see the results.

#9 12 years ago

I had an LE. I admit it rocked! I regret selling it and the software will not help with the el wire I know. But, I like the black better. I like that I can change the LED's. I also like that the recognizer does not have that long metal arm even though it does not move it just looks better to me. All said and done this is approx $1,000 or so in add ons.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I sold my LE early on to get the nice TAF. I regret that. But, I am happy with this project. They play the same.

I sold my Tron LE after having it about 2 months of which only a couple weeks the game played correctly. The only thing I regret was not holding it long enough to cash in on some of the silly prices it sells for now....

#11 12 years ago

EL wire, supports, shaker, leds, ramps = $700 ish.

#12 12 years ago

Who knows, I trade so much I can't remember what games I liked or not anymore. BAck to work then bed. Later gang.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

EL wire, supports, shaker, leds, ramps = $700 ish.

Tron pro set you back about what 4700? So add the 700 and you have about a 5400 pro.....Bought my LE for 5700 shipped. Guess times have changed in just 6 months for Tron LE. Kinda mind blowing.

Never the less I'm sure your Pro will look sweet when your done. Hows the clearcoat of the Pro Compared to your past LE?

#14 12 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

#15 12 years ago

Can't wait to see it when it's done, CG!

#16 12 years ago

I did most that stuff to mine:

- Recognizer LED added (self)
- PDI Glass
- Pinball Pro Sub - really shakes
- Shaker motor
- Several added toys including a light up Quorra on the Quorra ramp
- Arcade mod
- Chrome flipper bats
- LEDs throughout
- EL Wire ramps (no need for ramp replacement, looks cleaner without zip ties)
- Topper from pinball life

tron.jpgtron.jpg

#17 12 years ago

Looks awesome Markmon, especially those ramps - perfect finishing touch.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Fantastic job! I would love to see a howto on this. don't have a TRON yet but figured I would love to own one and make it LE myself. Is it possible to have the LE software running on your PRO and then make it controll your add-ons like the EL wire?

Quoted from coasterguy:

Please document what you do here in this topic with updates and photos. I'm sure a lot of folks out there want to pimp their PRO's!

#19 12 years ago

You cannot turn a pro into and LE. The LE has two software controlled fiber optic emitters and optical cable. I'm using EL wire which is a single color. My EL wire is solid blue and looks brighter. But it does not have the ability to be software controlled. I have a recent post here that covers how to install the EL wire without new ramps and where to buy it.

#20 12 years ago

Looks great markmon!

Coaster good luck with your project and keep posting updates of your work

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You cannot turn a pro into and LE. The LE has two software controlled fiber optic emitters and optical cable. I'm using EL wire which is a single color. My EL wire is solid blue and looks brighter. But it does have the ability to be software controlled. I have a recent post here that covers how to install the EL wire without new ramps and where to buy it.

You guys should use the ModPS so you can have your EL wire turn off/on along with the GI.

http://www.dkpinball.com

#22 12 years ago

I will update and let you guys know how it is going. I will even post on how I ordered the EL wire so it came EXACTLY how it should be already soldered with two different colors. It looks like I will just have to hook up to power and run it. Cool lights will do it all and it came in two days ready to go. Glow hut will do that too. First, I have to see which I like better when lit. I ordered two different color schemes in two different thicknesses. The thick one could be too bright. I know I did have to replace the ramps. I did not want to try drilling my own. I also did not want to use an adhesive that could gather dirt over time. So, I am doing it like stern did. Ill update over the weekend. Looks like I will be installing this Modps board too now!

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I will update and let you guys know how it is going. I will even post on how I ordered the EL wire so it came EXACTLY how it should be already soldered with two different colors. It looks like I will just have to hook up to power and run it. Cool lights will do it all and it came in two days ready to go. Glow hut will do that too. First, I have to see which I like better when lit. I ordered two different color schemes in two different thicknesses. The thick one could be too bright. I know I did have to replace the ramps. I did not want to try drilling my own. I also did not want to use an adhesive that could gather dirt over time. So, I am doing it like stern did. Ill update over the weekend. Looks like I will be installing this Modps board too now!

EL Wire thickness doesn't mean much. There are a couple manufacturers, and each of them just wrap their standard EL wire cores with different thicknesses of florescent PVC - so the thick ones give better color rendition for colors that EL wire isn't good at creating, but the same or slightly dimmer brightness. At least one manufacturer is making "super bright" EL Wire, which actually IS brighter. I get mine from EL Wire Pros.

#24 12 years ago

Good luck with the project, Coaster! Looks like it will be fun.

#25 12 years ago

wow.... mark, your tron looks great!

do you have any close up pics of the quorra add on figure lit up?? sounds really cool. any other pics or info on your added toys would be appreciated.

bravo man

Quoted from markmon:

- Recognizer LED added (self)
- PDI Glass
- Pinball Pro Sub - really shakes
- Shaker motor
- Several added toys including a light up Quorra on the Quorra ramp
- Arcade mod
- Chrome flipper bats
- LEDs throughout
- EL Wire ramps (no need for ramp replacement, looks cleaner without zip ties)
- Topper from pinball life

Attachments tron.jpg (575.5 KB, 2 downloads) 13 hours old

#26 12 years ago

Well so far not so great. I finished most of my LED kit and plastic protectors while taking off ramps. I then plugged in my two different sets of EL wire only to find they are not very bright at all. Glow Huts is better than cool lights but neither will work. I emailed both places for any insight. I may turn to markmons choice of websites. I will keep you posted. The pic of it being tested inside the cabinet shows the colors but on the playfield installed on one ramp you cannot even tell its aqua. The orange is the same.

IMG_0361.JPGIMG_0361.JPG IMG_0362.jpgIMG_0362.jpg

#27 12 years ago

Yes it is turned on in that second pic.

#28 12 years ago

That sucks. I hope the EL wire wasn't too expensive.

#29 12 years ago

I'm out $100 between the two orders. Custom of coarse so I bet they will not take back. I am researching more. Now to bed.

#30 12 years ago

Had it connected to 5 volt. oops. Thanks TATMAN for clearing that up for me. Now which set do I like better. ?
Left set is thinner and darker. Right side matches back glass "Tron Neon" better.

IMG_0367.jpgIMG_0367.jpg IMG_0369.JPGIMG_0369.JPG

#31 12 years ago

Why not just buy an LE hahahah....to late now I guess....

#32 12 years ago

Going with the right side. Thicker looks better on the ramps as you the line it creates looks more smooth.

#33 12 years ago

I like the thicker one too...

#34 12 years ago

Not finished but here is the update. I love it! Matches the art on the back glass.

IMG_0372.jpgIMG_0372.jpg

#35 12 years ago

Now for the light cycles..... ugh....more wire.....

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Not finished but here is the update. I love it! Matches the art on the back glass.

Attachments IMG_0372.jpg (201.1 KB, 0 downloads)

The more I see and play this game, the more I want it.
Rrrrr, it looks like this game could jump a few in line that I want to buy.

nice!

#37 12 years ago

That looks pretty good CG

#38 12 years ago

Nicely done!

#39 12 years ago

Looks really good! Are the LE ramps any different than the Pro ramps besides the pre drilled holes? Just curious.

#40 12 years ago

Looking good CG!!!

#41 12 years ago

Ramps look to be the same. I could have drilled. Im glad I did not. This is enough work as it is. I am a slow learner but, I have been at it since 9:30 am. RE-installing ramps now. Making the light cycle mods sucked... I am inpatient tough.

#42 12 years ago

Good choice on the wires, the thickness makes them look smooth and the color is spot on.

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from MES:

Looks really good! Are the LE ramps any different than the Pro ramps besides the pre drilled holes? Just curious.

No

#44 12 years ago

I'm done. Except for the new arcade mod in the mail. I press start and the flashers by the spinning disc starting flashing and the score keeps going up up up up and up.... it does not stop. Like a stop watch or something I am thinking interference? WHat should I look for that I did wrong? Going to bed for now And troubleshoot the issue tomorrow. It looks great though.

IMG_0377.jpgIMG_0377.jpg IMG_0379.jpgIMG_0379.jpg IMG_0381.jpgIMG_0381.jpg

#45 12 years ago

Well if I unplug the EL WIRE the problem goes away totally. Great.

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Well if I unplug the EL WIRE the problem goes away totally. Great.

Uh oh. The problem you are describing is exactly the problem that a guy posted about months ago on RGP. The EL is interfering with the optics in the spinning disc. The guy ended up removing the EL wire because he couldn't get it to work right.

Hopefully you can come up with a solution. I think someone else has done it successfully and posted here. Maybe he can assist.

#47 12 years ago

Yes I found that thread and read it. He is on pinside as well. I messaged him. I just tried re-routing the extra el wire beneath the pf and it did not help. On RGP many thought it was the inverter. I have used these inverters several times in the past on other games. It is not the inverter. I unplugged the thick EL wire that is installed on the ramps and plugged in the thinner wire I have. The problem went away if it was just thrown on the PF. If I bunched it up and piled it over the disc it would start the problem. My guess thus far is it is the thick 5MM EL wire I have installed. Maybe it just has more noise associated with it. I can half ass install the thin wire tomorrow by jut throwing it around the ramps and see what it does. I bet that is why Markmon is not having a problem. I think he used thinner wire. I will play and see. I want to be sure before I rip this out.
If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. I only worked on TRON today for 13 hours

#48 12 years ago

Tin foil hats for your inverters? Never mind, just read that the problem seems to be the wire and not the inverters. Maybe a light shield of some kind?

#49 12 years ago

Yea. I used the thinner wire which may be less bright.

#50 12 years ago

Coasterguy - Are you plugged into an extra adapter on the game for your 9v power? Maybe try to plug the inverter with power adapter (be sure it is set at 9v) into the cabinet service outlet instead - That is how markmon has his - might be a way to isolate the interference and see if it goes away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Trade
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-tron-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.