(Topic ID: 35399)

Project Toasted ToM: update.. IT'S ALIVE!!!!

By joey316g

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-312.jpg
image-778.jpg
image-453.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 4 years ago

Old thread but I'm back..way too many hobbies on my plate but I like doin stuff.. Haha... Started the restoration on this machine just this weekend.. Will update thread soon.

#202 4 years ago

Welcome back! Can't wait to see the progress!

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Those 47k resistors at R12 and R13 on the dot matrix power board are always going bad. I've replaced hundreds of them over the years. I usually replace all four at the same time because later on the other two will fail.

Why do they go bad so often? Inferior resistors? or poorly designed board overloading them? is there a way to put more robust versions in, so you don't have to worry about it being a fail point again?

#204 4 years ago

I'm the one with the toasted Playboy. Good to see you back at it. I have been on a hiatus on my game as well for about 3 or 4 months. Waiting on the funds for all the whitestar boards.

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I'm the one with the toasted Playboy. Good to see you back at it. I have been on a hiatus on my game as well for about 3 or 4 months. Waiting on the funds for all the whitestar boards.

Where did you get the toasted Playboy?

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from joey316g:

Where did you get the toasted Playboy?

I found it on Facebook of all places. It was on one of those local for sale for trade groups. I noticed the decals looked really black. I showed up and sure enough it was very bad. I ended up getting it for $25 bucks but I will have about $1500 in it when its done. That's not including getting any of the decals redone. Its story was it was in a bar fire and then sat in a lean to for 2 years.

I worked on it for about 5 months straight 15-20 hours a week. I am just trying to afford the boards now. Here is the link with a ton of progress pictures.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-stern-a-smoking-hot-2002-playboy-extensive-smoke-damage

#207 4 years ago

joey316g, not sure if this was already talked about. But what fire was it in? Fire down by the shore?

I see you're in jersey as well.... I'm curious. Nice job by the way!

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from Doostur:

joey316g, not sure if this was already talked about. But what fire was it in? Fire down by the shore?
I see you're in jersey as well.... I'm curious. Nice job by the way!

Golden Nugget Bar in Berlin, NJ

1 month later
#209 4 years ago

Hey everyone.. Been tying up some loose odds and ends on a few other projects. In addition to buying more machines and playing with them, I have not forgotten about my ToM. Up until 2 months ago, I still played it once a month and it's still 100%. At the end of the week I will be ordering a translite, shooter rod and decals from Planetary. I have removed the populated playfield and set up on a rotisserie. Will update with pics soon. Next I'm going to take down the cabinet and bring into my garage to do the dirty work of stripping the cabinet and getting it ready for paint. Once I get started its gonna move consistently so I should have this thread active regularly again. Thanks to all who have been following. Let the fun continue.

1 week later
#210 4 years ago

Just put in an order with Planetary for cabinet decals, shooter rod, translite and ball gate flap for a total of $470.89. This brings me to a grand total of $1634.41 which includes the cost of the machine. At this point all the large ticket or game specific items have been purchased with the exception of the main ramp. I may replace it if I can't make it look perfect again. All I have left is small parts and general pinball items. I still haven't touched the playfield yet but it is out of the machine. Should have some pics of everything next week. This is gonna be a great project.

#211 4 years ago

Looking forward to pics and progress. Keep us posted!

3 weeks later
#212 4 years ago

Inspiration to us all!!

#213 4 years ago

Awesome, that's about what I'm going to be in it for my burnt Playboy. Update us with some photos on that work please!

#214 4 years ago

Well Planetary had some stuff on back order but today everything I ordered show up finally.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hopefully by the weekend I'll have some more pics of the tear down itself

1 year later
#215 3 years ago

Send an update!

8 months later
#216 2 years ago

Yeah, how is it coming?

#217 2 years ago

Hey everyone.. yup it's me., the phantom pinsider.. I'm here to give an update on Toasty ToM. The truth is I haven't done much with it since my last post because well I have about a dozen hobbies and a touch of ADD. I hope to get working on it soon. Just trying to find the time. Thanks to all who followed this thread. I promise it will resume shortly!

#218 2 years ago

Here is some motivation: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fire-14-tomcat-learn-to-fly#post-3612970

Although, mine wasn't nearly as scorched as yours!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,500 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Renaissance, FLORIDA
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside