(Topic ID: 35399)

Project Toasted ToM: update.. IT'S ALIVE!!!!

By joey316g

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-312.jpg
image-778.jpg
image-453.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

Ok, as I stated in a previous thread, I'm going to start this thread to document the tear down, troubleshoot, prep and restore of the Theatre of Magic I picked up for $500 in a fire sale. It's gonna be a long process as I have many hobbies and tend to flip flop around but it will always move forward. There will be lots of pics and I'll update whenever I do something new. Ill start it off with the pics I took the day I brought it home.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Some more

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#3 6 years ago

suprisingly the outside dont look to damaged ive seen un fire damaged ones look worse lol

#4 6 years ago

Last few

#5 6 years ago

You need to save some of the melted items and have then shadow box framed.

#6 6 years ago

Have fun with the restore!
I think the hardest part you will have is finding the speaker panel plastic.

#7 6 years ago

So the machine will not boot. Nothing except the single tone from the soundboard. Of the 3 LEDs on the CPU board, all were on steady. I did the typical troubleshooting in the machine. Pulled all connectors except J210 and same results. I pulled the board and clean it up.. No physical damage that was apparent. I hooked it up to an external power supply from an old PC. Same results. I reseated all the chips and then when powered up, now only D19&d21 are on constant and D20 stayed out. I pulled the ASIC chip and put it in my TZ. It wouldn't boot. Same behavior so I put the ASIC from my TZ on the ToM board with no luck. I did the same with my 6809 chip.. It's good as it worked fine in my TZ. I used Clays guide to run all the tests he had mentioned with no luck. I'm convinced its something minor because like I said no physical damage that's obvious and its definitely never had work done to it. I checked continuity on every resistor and the all read correctly according to their respective color codes. I think I am at my technical limit as far as circuit boards go. I'm going to be sending it to a repairman this week. Here's a couple pics of the board.

image.jpg image.jpg

#8 6 years ago

And after it got a cleaning

image.jpg image.jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I said the exact thing in my previous thread. If I can get a clean scan, I will have a graphic screen printing company make me one.. I'm hoping I can find a used one though or someone starts making them in the aftermarket. I may just get the generic Bally one temporarily till I find one. I can't believe the aftermarket doesn't off it with the popularity of this machine.

#10 6 years ago

its not so bad. a little novis and alot of elbow grease and its going to be great. you also get the satisfaction of knowing you saved a great pin from being sent to the landfill.

#11 6 years ago

So today I also made a worst case scenario list of parts priced with replacement of every board in the backbox, full shop material list, restoration materials, new glass, paint, decals... The works. Came to $2138. Add the price of the pin and I have a fully restored, beautiful ToM for under $3000.

#12 6 years ago

That is awesome. Not to mention the story behind it. Save what you can to show people how toasty it was.

#13 6 years ago

And of course your time as a labor of love...priceless!

#14 6 years ago

Very excited to see your progress!!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

That is awesome. Not to mention the story behind it. Save what you can to show people how toasty it was.

Will do.... Will do... As mentioned earlier, shadow box framing the speaker panel as its the toastiest!.. Lol

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

And of course your time as a labor of love...priceless!

I love this stuff... When I'm done with them, I really don't even play them all that much... I'm the same way with collectors cars.. I don't even drive that 1991 GMC Syclone one of 2996 made after I got it all fixed up.. Lol.. I just like the satisfaction of doin it.

#17 6 years ago

How did you clean the circuit board? It looks brand new. I need to do that to some old boards I have.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from crashnt20:

How did you clean the circuit board? It looks brand new. I need to do that to some old boards I have.

I used isopropyl alcohol and a soft tooth brush. Followed that with some purple power cleaner from any auto parts store.

#19 6 years ago

Ok back at it again tonight.. I cleaned the whole machine down externally because I want to get it out of my garage and into my basement where it's warmer. It's really a shame that the side decals bubbled a bit because this thing cleaned up to look kinda decent.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#20 6 years ago

So while I'm waiting for the verdict on the CPU, I pulled all the boards and started to clean them up.

image.jpg image.jpg

#21 6 years ago

Here's the fliptronic board before and after. After a good cleaning I swapped her into my TZ and guess what boys..... I don't have to get a new fliptronic board.. Works perfect..keeping my fingers crossed for the rest when I get a chance to test them.

#22 6 years ago

Cleaned the power board but didn't finish.. I need to grab some fuses but the thing looks pretty good.. Here it is

image.jpg image.jpg

#23 6 years ago

I'll have cleaned up pics to,morrow but I have a quick question for everyone.. Can I swap this into my TZ? Looks almost identical except my TZ has a relay on it and ToMs power driver board does not. I don't know if its being used in TZ. All the aftermarket boards list same board for both games.

#24 6 years ago

I also tested the DMD display and its no good. I'm not surprised at all due to the heat the exterior took in that area...wasn't expecting it to be good. Only $140 so no big deal. My goal is to get all the boards working and then try to play this machine and note what works and what doesn't, repair it all till the game works 100% and them completely rebuild the cabinet and playfield. Another question I had was about the DMD board. Again I wanna test it in my TZ but at the top of the TZ board, there is a chip that is in a socket and the Tom board it's soldered in. Does this make a difference? Can I swap them out and get the ToM board to work to verify its operation? I think my sound board is gonna be ok too because when I first turned the machine on I got the pause and single tone for it. I'd be thrilled if all I had to buy was the CPU and DMD.

#25 6 years ago

The socketed chip is the display RAM. It's been replaced on the TZ, or you have an aftermarket board that came with it socketed. You can swap them to test them just fine.

The ToM board will also have a chip in the bottom row that isn't populated in the bottom row of the tz dmd driver board. Doesn't matter, can still test.

#26 6 years ago

BTW, nice Syclone! I always wanted a Typhoon I used to be an admin on s-seriesforum.com back in the day

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

BTW, nice Syclone! I always wanted a Typhoon I used to be an admin on s-seriesforum.com back in the day

You're the first one to comment on that sir! Lol.. Thanks for the info.

#28 6 years ago

god bless you sir for saving another pin, that could have EASILY been tossed and wrote off as insurance claim. That backbox looks the worst of all of it

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

god bless you sir for saving another pin, that could have EASILY been tossed and wrote off as insurance claim. That backbox looks the worst of all of it

Yes the backbox took the hit.. From there down its pretty clean.. This is how I like to get them... Messed up and cheap...lol... Just like my project cars.

#30 6 years ago

second...great thread...nice pickup...i also wanted a foon back in the day..white with purple stripes.

#31 6 years ago

How are you cleaning your boards? They sure look good when you're done with them...

Chris

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from SideTrackTap:

How are you cleaning your boards? They sure look good when you're done with them...
Chris

Purple power cleaner in a sprat bottle with a soft tooth brush followed by isopropyl alcohol scrub and then dry compressed air.

#33 6 years ago

Ditto on your board cleaning, nice job sir!

#34 6 years ago

Let me know if you do wind up with one of the PinLED boards?

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from joey316g:

Purple power cleaner in a sprat bottle with a soft tooth brush followed by isopropyl alcohol scrub and then dry compressed air.

Do you have to do anything special with boards that have capacitors on them? I use detergent and water for light boards and such but I'm apprehensive when it comes to back box boards. I usually just alcohol wipe those.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Let me know if you do wind up with one of the PinLED boards?

Chances are I will.. Think I'm gonna order it today in fact

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

Do you have to do anything special with boards that have capacitors on them? I use detergent and water for light boards and such but I'm apprehensive when it comes to back box boards. I usually just alcohol wipe those.

The key is letting them dry out.. That's why I do the water base first then drenxh with isopropyl which acts as a drying agent and blowing off with good clean dry air. Then let them sit out to finish drying.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I can attest to this. It is next to impossible to find.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from joey316g:

The key is letting them dry out.. That's why I do the water base first then drenxh with isopropyl which acts as a drying agent and blowing off with good clean dry air. Then let them sit out to finish drying.

Funny, just used swimmers ear drops in my right ear. Which is 95% alcohol and is used to dry the trapped water.

Anyway, hella jealous of your project. I think it's gonna turn out fantastic. Can't wait to see the end result.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from joey316g:

Thank you sir!

Chris

#41 6 years ago

Cool thread! Keep up the great work. I am sure this has been said, but I am sure Rob Anthony could fix up your boards nicely. He does great work.

#42 6 years ago

Ok so tonight I worked on the DMD driver board. Did a full cleaning. After testing all the components I found that R12 and R13 were damaged.

#43 6 years ago

Here I removed the two components and ran to radio shack to grab the resistors. To my surprise they had them.

#44 6 years ago

Here they are in place. The board has been cleaned and dried.

image.jpg image.jpg

#45 6 years ago

Solo the big moment...tossed this board in my TZ tonight, fired her up and guess what..

#46 6 years ago

One less board I need to buy!

image.jpg

#47 6 years ago

This is one of the best threads ever on Pinside. Bringing this thing back to life is what the hobby is all about IMHO.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

This is one of the best threads ever on Pinside. Bringing this thing back to life is what the hobby is all about IMHO.

Thanks my friend....kind words

#49 6 years ago

Keep up the good work !!!!!

#50 6 years ago

I love this thread and I'm jealous of you! There I said it (Actually I'm not super jealous I am beyond busy with pins right now!)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside