(Topic ID: 286872)

Project Prices

By Kickout

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I noticed that the price for project pins has been going up. Sellers are asking top dollar for projects that they say, “worked when we put it in storage” or “it lights up but won’t play a game”. Sellers think that they have the “Holy Grail”. Some don’t even clean the dust or trash off the pin for a photo. Just wondering if other pinsiders see this trend?

#2 3 years ago

I have seen people selling almost full playfield (no cabinet or head) saying it should work for top dollar

#3 3 years ago

Just wonder what they did with the head, back glass and cabinet.

#4 3 years ago

You should favorite this forum if you haven’t already. There are some good deals posted there.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-project-pins-for-sale-here-cl-ebay-pinside-and-others

#5 3 years ago

Blame the internet where anyone can look up the asking price of
    pins. Back in the day, project pins were in the $200-$300 range.
    Nearly unheard of today.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kickout:

I noticed that the price for project pins has been going up. Sellers are asking top dollar for projects that they say, “worked when we put it in storage” or “it lights up but won’t play a game”. Sellers think that they have the “Holy Grail”. Some don’t even clean the dust or trash off the pin for a photo. Just wondering if other pinsiders see this trend?

This is a trend that I’ve seen across all eras of pins. People are convinced that they have struck gold when they have a pin for sale. These same people look at the over inflated prices of fully working pins on EBay and assume that they can get the same price for their non-working pin.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

You should favorite this forum if you haven’t already. There are some good deals posted there.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-project-pins-for-sale-here-cl-ebay-pinside-and-others

Totally agree. There are still good deals out there. In the last year and half I picked up 6 decent to nice early Bally solid state games for less than $500 each (3 actually booted) plus 2 Gottlieb EM's at great prices. Avoid the overpriced garbage.

#8 3 years ago

Name a hobby where this price war stuff isn't the case.

I picked a nice Bally EM from a fellow Pinsider last Sunday at a great price. They are out there, but you have to be quick.

#9 3 years ago

The projects I'm running into have shot back glasses or none at all. I would buy it but it means going without one for 3-8 Months after ordering one.
    A lot also have chewed wiring. I have repaired localized areas of chewed but these have scary looking wads hanging out the back.
    Machines on the cusp of disappearing forever unless a saint drops in to save them.

#10 3 years ago

The last EM that I bought also "worked great" with a chopped line cord and fried coils throughout.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

The projects I'm running into have shot back glasses or none at all. I would buy it but it means going without one for 3-8 Months after ordering one.
    A lot also have chewed wiring. I have repaired localized areas of chewed but these have scary looking wads hanging out the back.
    Machines on the cusp of disappearing forever unless a saint drops in to save them.

That's the point of a project game. Save it, fix it and pass it it on.

#12 3 years ago

Haven't seen much come up lately and most non-working B-C titles are starting around $500. But then again, stuff like this shows up.

Machine - For Sale
    Super Soccer Archived
    Used - shows wear, needs some work - “Gottlieb Super Soccer -Game resets ,cycles thru all 4 players and ends a game.Not all features are working on the playfield,will need some troubleshooting.Game is missing lockdown ...”
    2021-01-30
    Lancaster, PA
    350 (OBO)
    Archived after: 42 days
    Viewed: 529 times

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Blame the internet where anyone can look up the asking price of
    pins. Back in the day, project pins were in the $200-$300 range.
    Nearly unheard of today.

I mean, in fairness, repairs are a lot easier and more of a sure thing now too. Bad MPU or driver? You know exactly what your ceiling on the repair is going to be because aftermarket boards are freely available. Isn't like the past where you might be stuck repairing battery damaged boards that would never be reliable because spares didn't exist, or where there were known failure points of a given board set so any game running it was a time bomb with no repair path except more of the same high failure rate parts. There are very few projects today that aren't repairable with off the shelf parts, about the only thing that can truly kill a machine is non-reproduced game specific parts broken/missing or a totally trashed playfield... There were a lot more items that would turn it into a parts game if they were missing/busted a decade or two ago.

#14 3 years ago

I'm still pretty new here, but I was heavily into pinball machines back in 2000-2003. Had two back surgeries during that time and had 11 machines. Landlord was selling house I was living in, had to sell them pins in 3 weeks.... I got out of it after that for the last 15 years. Back then I found it fairly easy to pick up decent projects for 50-150. Now that my back has been ok for the last several years I decided to get back to this hobby. I love fixing them... I'm finding the average price around 300-500 for projects. However, there are still good deals out there. I picked up a Gottlieb Sea Shore in good cosmetic shape for 200 and I'm picking up a Stern Stampede in a few weeks(rough back box at bottom) for 100.00... I've also determined alot of the project pins that become available are homeowner purchases of working machines that gradually stop working until they become a place to throw things on top of. Good for us because as long as there are homeowners that buy working games and don't know how to fix them, they are "future" projects.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from stumptown:

I mean, in fairness, repairs are a lot easier and more of a sure thing now too. Bad MPU or driver? You know exactly what your ceiling on the repair is going to be because aftermarket boards are freely available. Isn't like the past where you might be stuck repairing battery damaged boards that would never be reliable because spares didn't exist, or where there were known failure points of a given board set so any game running it was a time bomb with no repair path except more of the same high failure rate parts. There are very few projects today that aren't repairable with off the shelf parts, about the only thing that can truly kill a machine is non-reproduced game specific parts broken/missing or a totally trashed playfield... There were a lot more items that would turn it into a parts game if they were missing/busted a decade or two ago.

I hear you and in fact many if not most of the pins I ended up with pre-net were early SS
    with battery damage. But back in the day people that could repair them did and if
    done properly they were very reliable. Occasionally at shows a box of these
    damaged PC board show up cheap and I'll always scarf them up. Have yet to
    buy any of the aftermarket stuff. Boards or displays.

#16 3 years ago

My last three project games were $300 for a Crosstown, $350 for a Jacks Open and $200 for Around the World. It took a month or so to negotiate the price on Crosstown and Jacks Open and took more than two years for Around the World. Obviously a lot of people took a pass on all three. All three had a crappy back glass, bare wood on the playfield and cabinet damage. For me they are perfect since I do a full restore and don’t care if they don’t work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-prices?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.