(Topic ID: 142819)

Project Pinball for military members?

By hool10

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-great-escape-steve-mcqueen-1963.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

While on the drive home today I was listening to the news and heard this horrible story about how the VA is really just the tip of the iceberg with how we treat our veterans (what a surprise). An estimated 22,000 people have been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces since '09 even though a bill went into effect to stop the military from kicking out soldiers if they have a mental health condition. The full report is here: http://www.npr.org/2015/10/28/451146230/missed-treatment-soldiers-with-mental-health-issues-dismissed-for-misconduct

In the segment there is a soldier who was secretly recording some of his therapy sessions with what I would call pretty much people trying to get the guy to commit suicide. All I wanted to do was give a hug to the guy and take him to the local arcade to play Pinball. Really that isn't what the guy needs but it's all I could do for the guy. That's when it hit me that Project Pinball if possible could be expanded to do just that. In fact I have not really seen anything with vets or actively serving members of the military play Pinball or form clubs that comprise of such members. If your a military veteran or actively serving member, well thanks to you!

#2 8 years ago

Pinball is an expensive, small hobby. There are a few military members on pinside who enjoy pinball, but for the most part military folks simply have different hobbies or priorities.

If you want to give back to the military community, there are many worthy organizations and charities that offer great support. I recommend http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org

#3 8 years ago

I've read that wounded warrior spends more on self promotion than helping service members. True or not, make sure you know what you're donating to.
    Just because it's expensive to own a pin doesnt mean service members wouldn't like to play.. Sounds fun to me. Some really good players don't own machines. I think games are a great escape from the intensity you can experience in military life.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

I've read that wounded warrior spends more on self promotion than helping service members. True or not, make sure you know what you're donating to.
    Just because it's expensive to own a pin doesnt mean service members wouldn't like to play.. Sounds fun to me. Some really good players don't own machines. I think games are a great escape from the intensity you can experience in military life.

Where did you read that?

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12842#.VjFnqWY8LCQ

Wounded Warrior is a great foundation. As with any organization, get the facts before you donate.

I've been in the military for 17 years, and trust me, I'm the exception... I own pinballs, I listen to records, and I can recite 'Airplane!' by heart.

There are a few other military folks on this forum and they can speak up if they have a different perception.

But I agree with you... pinball is a great escape!

#5 8 years ago

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/26/wounded-warriors-project-under-fire.html
    Dunno if there's much behind it.. Probably most big charities catch some hell for whatever.
    I didn't get into pinball when I was in, but I sold my first BSD to an army maj. Who had the bug pretty bad. Gotta be at least a few guys out there.
    Mind wandering off on a tangent.. A great escape pinball would kick ass.
    the-great-escape-steve-mcqueen-1963.jpgthe-great-escape-steve-mcqueen-1963.jpg

#6 8 years ago

I've been serving for 18 years now and I currently donate to the Fisher House.

http://fisherhouse.org

Great charity that really gives back to military families in need.

#7 8 years ago

To be fair, all charities have different cost structures. While the Wounded Warrior program doesn't spend more than 1/2 of it's receipts on fundraising, it is indeed pretty high. As Mudflaps link shows, of every dollar brought in, 60 cents goes to the mission purpose. As Spitfiren8 says, there are also other great organizations like the FisherHouse who plow more of your money into support; above 90% for them. I give quite a bit to them and their Walter Reed location. There are a number of places to see the actual numbers. Charities are required to post their Form 990 IRS filing each year and provide for inspection as requested by ANYONE.

Military organizations are a great place to give but nothing beats sitting down and taking some time with a vet and listening and thanking them for their service. It's free and it means a lot to them.

I do like the idea of pinball for service members actually. Could be great in hand eye coordination rehab, distractions from PTSD (although must consult with the professionals on flashing lights), and in the rec centers on base for families. Good idea and hool10... and help make it happen!

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

While on the drive home today I was listening to the news and heard this horrible story about how the VA is really just the tip of the iceberg with how we treat our veterans (what a surprise). An estimated 22,000 people have been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces since '09 even though a bill went into effect to stop the military from kicking out soldiers if they have a mental health condition. The full report is here: http://www.npr.org/2015/10/28/451146230/missed-treatment-soldiers-with-mental-health-issues-dismissed-for-misconduct
    In the segment there is a soldier who was secretly recording some of his therapy sessions with what I would call pretty much people trying to get the guy to commit suicide. All I wanted to do was give a hug to the guy and take him to the local arcade to play Pinball. Really that isn't what the guy needs but it's all I could do for the guy. That's when it hit me that Project Pinball if possible could be expanded to do just that. In fact I have not really seen anything with vets or actively serving members of the military play Pinball or form clubs that comprise of such members. If your a military veteran or actively serving member, well thanks to you!

I heard that on NPR today too, pretty shocking....and that woman General...what a laugh.

#9 8 years ago

NPR is your primary news source? While on the drive home today I was listening to "The News"....From my perspective, that is equally disturbing, as the content of your post..

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

NPR is your primary news source? While on the drive home today I was listening to "The News"....From my perspective, that is equally disturbing, as the content of your post..

Lets not change a thread of good intention into a political debate......

#11 8 years ago

I love your sentiment, but this is a tough hobby(for reasons already posted, and many more), to use as a platform for said sentiment. Individual effort on our part, in any way shape or form, is the best we can do for out valued veterans! As a veteran myself, and a very concerned citizen, I have found that spending time with returning service men, seems to be most appreciated. In our age where most will piss away hours on social media, then say that they barely have time to breathe with their daily routine, carving out time to spend talking to, or even just sitting and listening to a veteran seems to be well appreciated. The pinball angle certainly could have some therapeutic benefits!!! Hillary say's that the whole V.A. deal is a right wing attack vehicle, and we should all listen to her, as we know how much she appreciates the military...I digress, sorry.....

#12 8 years ago

I retired from the Army back in '09 with a little over 20 years in. Couple Head injuries and some ocd / PTSD issues along with a long list of other injuries etc... I started collecting a year after I retired and found that restoring machines is the best therapy for me. I am glad this hobby exists and am thankful for the good people in this community.

#13 8 years ago

My dad and grandpa are both veterans and receive great care from the folks at the West Allis Vetrans Hospital. I've spent a lot of time there and there are some really hard working employees who do their best to help the hundreds of Veterans who pass through on a daily basis.

They have a pool, but I'm unsure if they have any pinball games?

#15 8 years ago

I spent 28 years in the USAF, and got into pinball during the last 6 years or so of my career. Luckily I now I am able to spend time on pinball stuff full time. Seems funny to some that with 2 masters degrees I didn't get a contractor job, but I just enjoy the low stress and working with my hands instead of babysitting people. There are two other USAF retirees and one active duty in our local pinball "family" here.

Scott

#16 8 years ago

I'm a captain in the Army and have been active for about 13 years now. Personally, I love pinball. Yes, I don't get to play it as much as I like due to those "other priorities," and yes, my paycheck pretty much topped out at one player's condition Firepower. Doesn't mean we/I still don't love it.

As busy as we were in Iraq, one of the greatest things was when the owner of the FLGS (friendly local games store) set out a box where people could dump donations and sent us a huge box of D&D and Pathfinder books, dice, screens, maps... I'm not being sarcastic. It kept people out of their bunks and in public areas, talking and laughing after a bad patrol or another day of nonstop mortars.

My point is that you would be surprised how many geeks and nerds are in the Army. Setting aside those other priorities and letting your mind wander different paths is as important for us as it is for office-hell salary workers.

#17 8 years ago

"Pinball for Patriots" is in the early planning stages. Pinball at VA hospitals, rec centers, and financial assistance for our service men and women in the USA. Having two children currently serving (Air Force and Marines) and my wife coming from a military family (father is retired Army and brother is currently serving in Air Force), it's something we feel strongly about. The Texas Pinball Festival's charity raffle has donated thousands of dollars to the Wounded Warrior Project the past couple of shows.
    pinballforpatriots.com (and .net and .org) is already registered. Domains are just parked right now, but hopefully it won't be too long (I'm aware it takes much more than a domain). If you have any ideas or suggestions, shoot me a message.
    -Ed

#18 8 years ago

Being a veteran , and sufferer of PTSD. I would recommend NOT using any LED lights. Somehow they tend to stay in mind's eye long after they flash. I have a Grand Lizard (for now) and when the multi ball was activated the first time I played it, that was all she wrote. She has to go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-pinball-for-military-members and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.