5J5A9939 (resized).JPG
5J5A9940 (resized).JPG
5J5A9487 (resized).JPG
5J5A9483 (resized).JPG
5J5A9482 (resized).JPG
5J5A9484 (resized).JPG
5J5A2956 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #13 Removing wire guides and pins Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #20 Refurbishing a coin door Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #53 Removing side rails Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #73 Wood rail removal Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #78 Mylar removal techniques Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #267 Start of Fathom Restoration Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #619 Start of Judge Dredd "Refurbishing" Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #714 Start of Taxi Mechanical Repairs Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #751 Start of Earthshaker Repair and Playfield Swap. Posted by TractorDoc (3 years ago)

Post #851 Start of Stargate Shop Job. Posted by TractorDoc (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider readypo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I figure 99% of Pinside will never read my thread anyway, so I might as well write it as I like. If someone really wants to find my work I'm sure they will.

I think you might be surprised how many pinsiders have favorited your thread and follow it with great interest (me included, of course!) I know that, on top of the restores, documenting it for others takes a lot of extra time. Thank you for doing so!

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I will use the old panel as a template to create a new, thicker one. That will allow the cabinet bottom to be one level height and avoid catching the bottom edges in the future. Sanding will be a bit easier now with better access to the inside walls at the bottom. Guess I know what I will be doing later this week!

Guessing the security panel is not going back on with the thicker floor panel ...

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Thinking about the bottom. My current thought is to paint the interior as you see it in the base color blue (this includes the bottom cross bars and angle braces). I'd like to finish the bottom panel in a natural wood tone though -- perhaps in a golden finish/stain to resemble sand on the ocean bottom. I like the look of natural wood at the bottom of a cabinet but I do not really care for how the interior sides are originally sprayed half way down. I am still thinking about the steps I want to take to paint/stain/install/etc. but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Sometimes if I think about these things hard enough I have dreams about working on pinball stuff!

You have gone to the trouble of removing the bottom and will have a new clean one - I think most bottoms get painted because they are in terrible condition. I like the natural wood idea with a light stain/sealer and painted sides/braces. Should look awesome! I would consider replacing the metal panel too - yes its not needed for HUO/thicker base and really not visible, but if you can make it work without too much trouble, seems more authentic ...

#320 4 years ago

I'm not familiar with the Varathane Wood Hardener you showed in the picture, but if it is anything like Minwax Wood Hardener (which it probably is), it is about 75% Acetone/Methanol with a suspended (melted) plastic - basically, the acetone/methanol penetrates the fibers, then evaporates, leaving the plastic behind encapsulating the rotted/soft fibers. Won't necessarily add strength, but leaves a hard surface to sand/paint which is just fine where you used it I think.

3 weeks later
#336 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing that metallic blue on the outside of the cabinet!

2 weeks later
#372 4 years ago

Looks great. I'm sure the clear will make the metallic pop even more.

4 months later
#522 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Have you ever spent more time looking for a tool than it took to use it?

I have and it's very frustrating! I have a pinball only toolbox for the specialized tools and a separate pinball retrieval kit. Each has its wrenches, pliers etc. Only thing that moves back and forth are the higher price tools like dmm and soldering iron. And I am not sure where my dmm is right now...

1 month later
#599 4 years ago

Looks beautiful as always! The question is, what is next Can't wait!

3 weeks later
#656 4 years ago

I really like the clear targets too, they look great illuminated. Not sure if I like JUDGE JUDGE, but don't think DREDD JUDGE would have been better.

2 weeks later
#679 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I used a couple of Comet's fire bulbs in the planet that give an orange glow effect.

Well that looks really good, going to have to try! I got to stop looking at this thread, you are costing me $$$. I have the @ragefactory's cooling tower mod on the way too, its somewhere in the states now ...

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

the fire bulbs are much more "blinky" in real time.

I went and checked out the fire bulb video on Comet's website, I see what you are saying but yes, still looks good. At just $2.95 per, worth trying.
BTW, your awesome camera skills show on all your work, I have one of your Fathom pics as my wallpaper

3 weeks later
#694 4 years ago

That looks terrific!

#710 4 years ago

Lets go Taxi! I don't have one so this will not cost me like the Judge Dredd project - Sniper Tower, Cooling Towers and now Davi has a crane coming my way

#713 4 years ago

Ha! Actually, my plastics are pretty good except for two pieces - the Sniper Tower plastic, which is now removed for the Sniper Tower Mod, and the shooter lane plastic, broke when I got the pin and not yet fixed. I would be interested in just that one ...

Shooter (resized).jpgShooter (resized).jpg
1 year later
#942 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

After some back and forth with different base and skirt colors I've settled on translucent yellow for both.

That is a good choice, blends well.

1 week later
#968 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I may have to install a spacer to drop them down to the correct height.

Quoted from emsrph:

You may want to add a washer between the mechs and the pf, especially for the pops so they are at the right level. A #6 or #8 washer will give you about 0.05” (a little less than a 1/16”).

Yes I agree, I would add the washers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider readypo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast?tu=readypo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.