5J5A9939 (resized).JPG
5J5A9940 (resized).JPG
5J5A9487 (resized).JPG
5J5A9483 (resized).JPG
5J5A9482 (resized).JPG
5J5A9484 (resized).JPG
5J5A2956 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #13 Removing wire guides and pins Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #20 Refurbishing a coin door Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #53 Removing side rails Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #73 Wood rail removal Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #78 Mylar removal techniques Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #267 Start of Fathom Restoration Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #619 Start of Judge Dredd "Refurbishing" Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #714 Start of Taxi Mechanical Repairs Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #751 Start of Earthshaker Repair and Playfield Swap. Posted by TractorDoc (3 years ago)

Post #851 Start of Stargate Shop Job. Posted by TractorDoc (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#634 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

The pieces coming off the playfield are starting to pile up.
[quoted image]
Leaning towards warm white LEDs to compliment the yellows/reds/oranges on the playfield. No matter which/what type of bulb things are starting to look much brighter.
[quoted image][quoted image]
I even had help in case I dropped something down in the cabinet!
[quoted image]
Next up -- time to do something about those bulbs under the inserts.

Great thread, following! Let me know if you need any help (photo, part info).
I am in the same situation, working on JD. I heard that this pin is very dark, and seems it is true: I count only 15 GI lamp socket on lamp harness, and this contains the 4 sockets at slingshots.

1 week later
#643 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

No numbers in mind yet -- will have to give some thought to a price. . . or maybe even trade potential.

Thanks Davi -- my efforts to clean up and refurbish will likely be far inferior to yours. I couldn't help but notice Judge Dredd is at the top of Comet Pinball's home page and it looks to be utilizing spotlights. I've never used them before but JD might be a good candidate.?

Thanks Mitch. I hope not to disappoint!
Spent about an hour playing Paragon several days ago. I'd say the honeymoon is over but I'm not ready to push it out the door yet!
Not much progress today. Sitting here at the office on my day "off" while I wait for a call back from tech support for the practice computer software. Time that could be better spent removing and polishing ball guides!

Your method is much more economical and effective than mine, no doubt. My method is time consuming, slow, expensive... Sometimes I feel this pointless, but at the end of the day I have to feel satisfaction

20190818_161037 (resized).jpg20190818_161037 (resized).jpg20200106_172701 (resized).jpg20200106_172701 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#684 4 years ago

I don't know why, but this thread is a mixture of cool mods, cool pictures, good taste... One of the best in Pinside.

3 weeks later
#700 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Are pictures better than words? Usually yes.
A quick reminder of before:
[quoted image]
Then after:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Personally I think Davi did a fantastic job of adding detail and realism to the crane while preserving the look of the original design. Someone should hire him for this sort of stuff!
I'll try to get more detailed pictures later -- these were taken as proof of concept.

Thank you for detailed installation and for the nice words.
It's really good to see the result of my effort - my Judge Dredd is disassembled, still in many boxes...

#707 4 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

Thank you! I do like the short version much better. It'd be nice if Davi gave us the choice when it's done

Quoted from chad:

I like this variation of the crane the best!

Quoted from Calfdemon:

Longer truss looks way better.

That's why I am going to offer both versions - don't worry

#708 4 years ago

Here is the separated thread about my crane mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-active-3d-crane-modification

Don't want to hijack this thread with Dredd stuff, it's time to move on to Taxi

#712 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Lets go Taxi! I don't have one so this will not cost me like the Judge Dredd project - Sniper Tower, Cooling Towers and now Davi has a crane coming my way

How about your Dredd plastic set? Cracked and faded, ready to replace?

#722 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Ha! Actually, my plastics are pretty good except for two pieces - the Sniper Tower plastic, which is now removed for the Sniper Tower Mod, and the shooter lane plastic, broke when I got the pin and not yet fixed. I would be interested in just that one ...[quoted image]

If we (mainly you ) are lucky, I can do something.

1 week later
#738 4 years ago

It's time to scan your plastics. You know what I mean
Nice yellow...

#740 4 years ago

My friend recommended to try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=7Wh5gM8GM70

Joint1 (resized).JPGJoint1 (resized).JPG
4 weeks later
#748 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

A couple days in and Taxi is still playing well.
Being more of a player's condition game I'll probably not attempt a photo shoot to highlight the playfield wear. Instead I tried a couple pics with a new GoPro camera to get a feel for how it (the camera) works. Perhaps one day I can graduate to pinball video. . . but I'll start with pictures first.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, that's a serious flood damage, the warpage of cabinet is amazing

1 month later
#767 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Sprayed first coat of clear today.
I'll give this a day or so to cure before sanding flat again to apply the second coat. So far all the touchups are looking good under the new clear.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Poor form to clear over the Hologram decal? Probably. I did not think I'd be able to remove it in a way so that it could be reused. . . and it is under the apron.

Class: DPS Silver. Looking forward to Gold

5 months later
#819 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

bonus points if you can find the empty spot

Above Zone 2 target?

#821 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Those arrow inserts are so dark I had to check and see which was Zone 2 in the photo archives.
You are quite the detective!

One hole is missing below the red pop bumper: as I know the ball guide is fixed by the L bracket too.

1 week later
#833 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I've given my situation some thought. I think I've come up with a good compromise for a solution.
After giving the playfield a stare down from many different angles I've decided I like the blue bumper in its current location. If you look up the playfield from the player's perspective I think the blue bumper is a nice contrast to the red flasher lenses that your eye follows up the ramps. A red bumper cap just sort of makes it a long chain of, well, red. The blue bumper also ties well into the blue path under the spinner on the playfield.
In theory I can still get the message on the DMD to correlate -- all I have to do is swap signal wires on the legs of the blue and red bumper lamp sockets. Much easier than swapping out the entire bumper assemblies at this point, a better looking layout to my eye, and one more little custom touch that makes this game "mine."
Thanks again for pointing this out to me!
EDIT: As I'm thinking about this more, all I really have to do is swap the wires at the connector. . . even easier than desoldering/resoldering!

Do you mean a swap of bumper lights/switches/solenoids wires?

#835 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

If I am thinking correctly I there are two wires to each bumper lamp, to each bumper solenoid, and also each bumper switch. If I wanted to cheat I could simply swap one set of wires -- the ones that light the bumper. I would switch them at the connector where it plugs into the interconnect board (switch places where the blue/red "activation" wires sit on the connector). This way the correct color bumper would be lit when the DMD says it is. The opposite/unlit color bumper would still score the 3000 points if I don't switch the wires on the actuation switch and solenoid though.
In reality I don't know how much of a problem this would really be -- its not like the player can really aim for a specific pop bumper while playing. I'm thinking the scoring is all due to random rattling around in that area anyway.

Right, this is the best way, swap only the bumper lamps.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
1 week later
#852 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

With Earthshaker cleared from the workbench I saw the opportunity to tear into my next project. . . sort of. This will not be a all-in, full "chapter" in my thread -- more like a simple shop job with a couple posts of before and after. The next big project will come after this one!
A number of months back I had the opportunity to pickup a wish list game within a couple hours drive. I only had a couple fuzzy pictures and what the owner knew of the game (not much) to go on, but the price was reasonable so I took a chance and brought home this Stargate.
[quoted image]
The previous owner had kept it in his garage for a number of years but the game booted up and played -- which is more than I can say for some games I've brought home. For the record I had to remove the upper cabinet to fit the game in a Jeep Liberty (my winter pin hauler).
Of course when I bought it home I had to look over some of the fine details. I pulled the glass and while a bit dusty the underside of the playfield did not show obvious signs of damage or corrosion.
[quoted image]
Inspection of the upper playfield found components to be dusty and dirty. The lighting was dim and rubbers were a bit stiff (the upper flipper had nothing on it until I installed a temporary ring). Anubis had lost his ears at some point.
[quoted image]
I replaced the dim GI with natural whites from Comet. I also replaced the insert bulbs with the same. This was a good improvement. . . except that it highlighted more of the dust and dirt.
[quoted image] [quoted image]
I put quite a few plays on the game in this state. . . until I was tired of reading the message in the dust under the pyramid.
[quoted image]
With Earthshaker back in its box I decided to give Stargate a tune up. . . and the workbench soon started to fill back up!

The cable management of this Gottlieb looks 10x better compared to Bally/Williams games...

2 months later
#920 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

For Fun:
[quoted image] [quoted image]
When I was picking colors I had a near exact match for the light blue. I may have taken some liberty in choosing a more bold darker blue, and looking at the cabinet now I can say I really like it. It looks sharp next to the light blue and black.
Looking at the cabinet now I can say taking the time to prep it and re-stencil it was worth it. It may have added a month or two to the project time line, but it will add a good amount of visual appeal to the finished product.
If all goes well I might make tomorrow leg day!

Wow, stunning.

1 month later
#972 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

under playfield blue is the same as the darker blue on the cabinet. When the playfield is lifted it all comes together

What a nice touch - well done!

7 months later
#1134 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Discussions quickly escalated from replacing the board to an overall refurbish of his game.

Haha, I love this. Very cool pic.
And nice wooden (?) toy on the wall.

Merry Christmas!

2 weeks later
#1157 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I opted for a clear insert to compliment the crystalline waters of Frontier Falls.

Perfect!

9 months later
#1262 1 year ago

This thread has been too quiet lately - it’s making me worry!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.00
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast?tu=davi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.