5J5A9939 (resized).JPG
5J5A9940 (resized).JPG
5J5A9487 (resized).JPG
5J5A9483 (resized).JPG
5J5A9482 (resized).JPG
5J5A9484 (resized).JPG
5J5A2956 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #13 Removing wire guides and pins Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #20 Refurbishing a coin door Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #53 Removing side rails Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #73 Wood rail removal Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #78 Mylar removal techniques Posted by TractorDoc (5 years ago)

Post #267 Start of Fathom Restoration Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #619 Start of Judge Dredd "Refurbishing" Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #714 Start of Taxi Mechanical Repairs Posted by TractorDoc (4 years ago)

Post #751 Start of Earthshaker Repair and Playfield Swap. Posted by TractorDoc (3 years ago)

Post #851 Start of Stargate Shop Job. Posted by TractorDoc (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#58 5 years ago

Great machine. I will be watching with interest.

Is this going to be for sale after the resto?

1 week later
#75 5 years ago

Strange...you wouldn't think screws would be that big of a deal to use.

#79 5 years ago

I would recommend clear coating. It will add a lot of life to it.

#81 5 years ago

I was inspired to add some paragon styling to my gameroom. I found a guy on ebay that does custom pinball and arcade items with lighting.

20190110_142644 (resized).jpg20190110_142644 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#113 5 years ago

I have been looking for a paragon to match with my bally lost world.

20190218_130555 (resized).jpg20190218_130555 (resized).jpg
#114 5 years ago

Your thread has really inspired me. It's gorgeous!

3 weeks later
#148 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Todays time in the shop focused on the glamorous task of lamp socket replacement. After seeing how much wax, sanding remnants, and polishing residue had built up in the GI sockets I thought it best to replace them. A number of these sockets also had loose connections and would be nothing but trouble if left in place. I know it has been suggested to replace all the sockets, but after checking all the insert sockets they still feel, look, and light as new. Ok, maybe not new but definitely worth trying vs. replacing.
More or less this was the work area.
[quoted image]
After all the work was done I had a bowl full of crusty sockets.
[quoted image]
The soldering station and sucker earned their keep today. I also replaced that disc capacitor on the front standup switch target with a new .047uf 50V capacitor. In the future I am putting a desoldering gun on the new tool wish list. In fact there is one in my E-bay cart right now waiting for the next 15% off coupon to pop up.
Another accomplishment was replacing the coil sleeves and flipper plungers. Out with the old:
[quoted image]
A partial view of some of the new:
[quoted image]
A couple more things to do on the underside, but the big goal right now is being patient. I want to wait at least a month for the clear to cure before I apply a good coat of wax to the empty playfield. I just looked back and its only been a couple weeks. . . time flies by when you are having fun but takes forever when you are waiting for paint to dry.

I read that the 15% off coupon popped up today. You should go check it out.

1 week later
#169 5 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

You should be ashamed and embarrassed, having something like what this project is turning into embedded in your collection. Best thing to do would be to finish it up and off it immediately to me. I’m willing to live and deal with this...this...thing!

Dream on! I've already asked way back. Get in line, sucka!!!! Lol

3 weeks later
#214 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Had just enough time to install boards and harnesses this weekend. I started just by plugging J3 into the Solenoid Driver and turning the game on. Once my test point voltages all checked out I hooked everything else up.
[quoted image]
Once powered up the game finally has some life to it. Definitely some bugs to work out before I start flipping though. So far some switches are not registering even though I was sure to set gaps when the playfield was out. With the Alltek lamp driver I am still having some LED flicker from the insert bulbs -- I wired it in as instructed to avoid the flicker. I had the game reset several times when flipping the right flipper. I hope to dig into this more thru the week; I will start with why my 12V may be dropping to allow a reset on the MPU. Probably something I am overlooking on the SD board or perhaps something in my wiring.
On the plus side all the solenoids are firing, drop targets are registering/resetting, flippers are flipping, and sounds are dinging. Displays are working and registering scores as I manually trigger items on the playfield.
[quoted image]
My original backglass has some obvious cracks/bubbling across the bottom area. I've ordered a new one from CPR -- Kevin has assured me that the new digital printing process should eliminate the washed out look past offerings have dealt with. We shall see!

It's ALIVE!!!!

2 weeks later
#254 4 years ago

Your thread has inspired me. I have been looking at getting one, and i finally have the opportunity to see one tomorrow!

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Great to hear! I hope you like it as much in person as I have thus far.
Having about 50 games in (just one more. . . ) I can say it was worth the wait to play. Sure I love me some ramps, modes, flashers, and animations from time to time but more often than not I gravitate to these early SS games. The spinner rip on Paragon is right up there with Meteor as far as one of my favorites, especially when the ball zips across the playfield and into the waterfall. Loving the inline drops, forgot how much I liked them on Flash Gordon. The pop in the left outlane adds a fun element of chance -- I find myself holding my breath waiting to see where the ball will end up.
I think Paragon will fit nicely into the game room lineup. A few more details here and there before taking outdoor/daylight pictures of the finished product, then it is taking everything apart again to fit up some stairs and around some corners.
Not trying to get too far ahead of myself, but I am already thinking ahead to the next project. Rather than start a new thread I will probably continue this one with some revisions to the title and initial post -- making it my "official" game refurbishing thread. Hope everyone will stick around for more fun, here is a hint of what is to come. [quoted image]

I will still buy yours too though!

#260 4 years ago

Would you mind showing me some pics of the boards? I just got a paragon and i need to make sure everything is plugged in correctly.

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

HUGE Update! Notice anything different?
[quoted image]
That is right -- I applied the coin door decal. I usually reserve that as the last thing to cross off the list before sticking a fork in the game. . . even though they are never really "done."
[quoted image]
I've seen there are two styles of the diamond shape Bally decal -- the "circle" version which I've applied here or the "arrow" version with Susan B. Anthony on it. The Susan B. version is probably more appropriate especially because I have the center dollar coin option -- but I like the "circle" version better.
No luck getting outside for final pictures today. Too much rain, but there is always tomorrow!

Do you know anything about the version below?

Screenshot_2019-05-04-17-44-52 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-05-04-17-44-52 (resized).png
2 weeks later
#269 4 years ago

What's your high score on paragon so far?

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Had a friend over the other day and he dropped a high score that will be tough to beat.
[quoted image]

I scored 795,300 yesterday, but i have only had the game a couple of weeks. It is certainly a tough game with a lot of nuances
TractorDoc mentioned flipper passes draining...that is a common occurrence for me as well. I can score hundreds of thousands one game and then 30000 the next

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Todays efforts focused on the bottom cabinet. Pictures were taken and items were bagged/tagged as they were removed. A summary of everything that came out is pictured below, all boxed up to store until later.
[quoted image]
All that is left is to remove the side rails (maybe tomorrow?) and this part of the cabinet should be ready to take to the wood shop to use as a pattern.
[quoted image]
One of the most interesting things (to me) was the presence of the orginal manufacturing tag. It will be preserved and hopefully carried over to the new cabinet.
[quoted image]
I have some ideas on how I want to paint the new cabinet -- it will be original but at the same time not. That is all I will say for now, let you imagination run wild!

Is it early enough for me to get my name in for this when it is completed?

My goal is to own a tractordoc restored pin!

1 week later
#312 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I read thru Vid's guide on cabinet restoration (several times! ) and on the topic of removing the bottom panel he says something to the effect of "Router the edges then step on the bottom to pop it off." While I did do those things today I will give you a little more detail on how I did it.
First I set up the router. I measured how far I wanted the bit to be exposed so as not to cut deeply into the bottom panel.
[quoted image]
Comparing measurments to the router. In the end I fit the bit in loosely and pushed it down on the cabinet to its position then tightened.
[quoted image]
Here is where we get crazy. Even with surgeon's hands I was not sure I could router along the edge of the cabinet and keep a straight line. I thought that even using a wood chisel to chip out a strip of wood might look a little ragged.
I called MacGyver and we came up with a plan to create a straight edge along the side of the cabinet using a greenhouse plant table, several 2X4s, and a ratchet strap. There are probably better ways to do this. . . it is probably half unnecessary but at the same time half evil genius so I went with it.
[quoted image]
Now all I have to do is slide my router along the table edge for a straight cut.
[quoted image]
Measuring the distance between my straight edge and cabinet edge. I want to remove about a quarter inch.
[quoted image]
Measuring the distance between my router straight edge and bit. Pretty close. You'll have to trust me, it was a bad camera angle.
[quoted image]
My first test cut. I could stand to nibble out a bit more to expose the edge of the bottom panel. . .
[quoted image]
So I used a scraper to shim out my table just a bit.
[quoted image]
Once I realized this could work I removed the security panel to avoid creating sparks and ruining my bit.
[quoted image]
Repeat for the other side.
[quoted image]
As promised, some standing in the cabinet to push the bottom panel out. Many popping sounds were heard and several bumps were needed with the mallet in addition to foot power. Besides glue there were several nails holding the bottom panel in at the bottom cross braces. The grounding strap was removed after pics.
[quoted image]
Success!
[quoted image]
I will use the old panel as a template to create a new, thicker one. That will allow the cabinet bottom to be one level height and avoid catching the bottom edges in the future. Sanding will be a bit easier now with better access to the inside walls at the bottom. Guess I know what I will be doing later this week!

How much time per week do you spend on these? Your dedication is incredible!

1 month later
#341 4 years ago

You do such beautiful work.
What kind of time expectations do you set for yourself (on average) for one of these projects?

1 week later
#368 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Took the plunge into my can of dark blue basecoat today. One last pic of the cabinets in primer gray.
[quoted image]
Three or so coats later. . .
[quoted image]
This is my first time using this basecoat/clearcoat system. My past projects have mostly been single stage.
I know I have a window of time that would allow me to add the next color without any special preparation, but I was not sure how long I need to wait before I can apply stencils. My schedule does not help either being so unpredictable, so on top of today's basecoat I applied a couple quick shots of intercoat clear. I will need to scruff the surfaces before applying the next color(s)/clearcoat, the intercoat clear will provide a buffer and hopefully prevent me from scruffing thru basecoat into primer.
[quoted image]
A sunlit view of the front. As much as I filled, primed, sanded, etc. several small imperfections still remain. I could probably keep filling/sanding for weeks!
[quoted image]
In the end I am happy with how things are looking so far. . . the next big step will involve stencils.

It is all on a bell curve. I am amazed at the work you do, yet people can always scrutinize anything...and you are probably hardest on yourself.

If you ever just get sick of looking at it, however, I will pm my address to you

3 weeks later
#399 4 years ago

I think the silver legs look great as-is, but could could certainly add "pizzaz" if you wanted to color-match the green coloring on the cab.

1 month later
2 weeks later
#487 4 years ago

Got any more of those fathom pics??

Screenshot_20191009-012703~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191009-012703~2 (resized).png
3 weeks later
#502 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I tried cleaning the backside of inserts with Novus and improved some of the markings. With that addressed I started the process of adding lamp sockets.
[quoted image]
Even though it would be far eaiser to install the bare common wire I've decided to have a go with my 18ga blue insulated tinned wire instead. I used the original playfield/bare wire as a template and routed the wire in the same path around the sockets.
[quoted image]
Insulation stripped at each lamp socket and ready for soldering. One of the problems with having games in multiple locations is I lose track of my equipment. It was my intention to solder the sockets up but my iron was left in the game room at home. There is always next time. . .
[quoted image]
I made a good bit of progress on the blue bonus inserts as well, just somehow forgot to take a picture. Before leaving for the day realized I shorted myself several of one type of lamp socket. . . time to put together another order.

Looking even more incredible!!

1 month later
#549 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I lucked out today. fattdirk calls me up “Hey I’m getting a pin from tractordoc you wanna roll up with me?”
Now to me, being some what new to the hobby and being obsessed with restorations, getting to meet Dave is basically like meeting an athlete or celebrity, so heck yeah I’m rolling!
Got to see the Fathom in the flesh, my god is it nice!
Was also lucky enough to play the Paragon. Pretty happy with my score too. fattdirk tried to catch up to me but we can see how that panned out looking at those displays.
It was nice meeting you man!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Was 542k the high score of the day?

3 weeks later
#575 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Balls were (and still are!) in their proper location.
Spent some time looking the game over today. I checked and rechecked the test points on the rectifier, solenoid driver, mpu, lamp driver, and squawk and talk. All checked fine. . . until I poked around too much on the squawk and talk and caused the game to reset. Now instead of the standard five flashes at startup I get only three. I may need to install a replacement chip at U11.
Anyway, I moved on to the coin door. On a hunch, I separated the coin door harness at the molex connector -- next thing I know the game appears like it is in attact mode. Close inspection of the coin door found the very edge of a wire pinched at the start game/credit button switch. Correcting that fixed a lot of problems (except the sound of course).
Now the displays work, I can add credits, and register points on the playfield.
[quoted image]
Issues that need addressing are mostly several switch adjustments. The other problem I've found is at the kicker/ball eject mechanism. The kicker arm is currently getting jammed on the ball trough -- hopefully something I can fix by moving the kicker unit.
We are getting closer. . . I'm really liking how things are starting to look!
[quoted image]

It looks amazing!!!!

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from Quint:

Hot damn!!
That is one stunning machine.
Outstanding craftsmanship!

Were gonna need a bigger boat...er...uh...game room.

1 week later
#586 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

To this point I've had a reproduction backglass in place.
Now that I have the boards/settings more or less established I thought it a good time to bring back the original. After a gentle cleaning it once again sits in its proper home.
[quoted image]
The original definitely has more of a cooler, blue tone. Much more appropriate I think.
[quoted image]
I may or may not have tired to flip the ball around a little bit. . . still trying to keep an open mind but really think I'm going to enjoy this game!

It is a beautiful game. Easily one of the best of the era, and amongst the top pins ever made.

#597 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Hmmm, with all the parts in place, what should I do now?

Give it to me!

2 months later
#697 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Quick GIF anyone?
[quoted image]
Fantastic Work Davi !!

Wow! That looks awesome!

You are making me wish I had my JD back!

How much is the mod?

1 week later
#727 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

The more I learn about these games the more I realize how little I know.
I learned that Taxi actually has two GI Relay boards -- one for the playfield and one for the upper cabinet. At least there should be a second one in the upper cabinet. . . . it appears the relay bandit has struck again on this game, only this time he/she snagged the entire board.
[quoted image]
I am not aware of any current aftermarket suppliers for this board now that Great Lakes Modular is no longer accepting orders.
Perhaps it is time to post another Want Ad in the Pinside Classifieds.

Maybe dc2010 has one?

2 months later
#758 3 years ago

Any updates?

What's the next game up?

1 month later
#774 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

There will always be next time. Invitation is always open.
I had a chance to start sanding the playfield with 1000 grit.
[quoted image]
The playfield surface sanded down flat much easier than I thought it would, but this is the first playfield I've worked on without sunken inserts.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
It is supposed to rain over the weekend -- if it does that should give me the opportunity to continue sanding with 2000 then 3000 grit. More pics to come.

Looking good!!

2 months later
#809 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

That is an awesome looking underside. Wow

That sounds like a pickup line...

3 months later
#859 3 years ago

Stargate is criminally underrated on here, and I believe if it were made by someone other than gottlieb, it would be a top 40 or higher pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast?tu=daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.