We talked about cleaning out the yellow from the clear plastics some posts back. My experience did not go as planned. . . the fault was all my own.
Did anyone else watch Home Improvement on TV years ago? Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor hosted Tool Time, a program dedicated to home improvement and the tools used in the process. Tim was known for always wanting to add more power to a project that may not have needed it -- the equivalent of cutting a toothpick in half with a circular saw as an example.
Where am I going with this? Well, I may have been guilty of the more power approach on my plastics. One of the side endeavours here on the farm is running a greenhouse. Said greenhouse has a 30 gallon drum of 35% Hydrogen Peroxide (its added to the water to minimize pathogens). . . the perfect source for my de-yellowing procedure. Who needs that 3% stuff you get at the store. . . 35% will clear those plastics up in no time! More Power!
I also acquired some OxyClean (basically hydrogen peroxide in powder form). This may be where I strayed from procedure. Vid says to use 1/4 teaspoon mixed in the peroxide. Not having a measuring scoop handy, it is safe to say I likely added a bit more than that to the mix. I left the plastics, peroxide, and oxyclean in a large plastic bag sitting out in the sun while I returned to the shop to work on other things. Imagine my surprise later when I poked my head out the door to see the bag puffed up like a balloon and smoke steaming out of it. Its been awhile since Organic Chemistry was fresh in my mind but its safe to say an exothermic chemical reaction was taking place. No I did not stop to take a picture. I quickly threw on some gloves and fished the plastics out/dunked them into a bucket of clean water. I was too late -- the plastics had heated up enough to actually have bubbles (or powdered oxyclean) melted into them.
Lesson learned, I ordered a new set of plastics from CPR. I was a bit unsure of the correct method to transfer the metal supports from the old plastics to new. In the end I simply held the soldering iron in the top of the support until it heated up enough that I was able to pop it from the plastic using a rag wrapped around it. The keen observer will note the iron is off and the picture is just demonstrating the technique.
To install the supports in the new plastics I slid the each one over the iron (after buffing on the compound wheel) and then pushed it up into the plastic. Make sure to install them on the correct side!
I was a bit sad to see the new plastics are thinner than the originals. . . but I was happy to see how clear they were and that they lacked the chips acquired from years of hard service.
A quick sampling of what several look like installed.
The spacers between the plastic and stud posts were originally a boring gray color. I spruced them up a bit with some metallic paint for a bit more pizazz.