Project Paragon -- Breathing Life Back Into the Beast.

(Topic ID: 231017)

Project Paragon -- Breathing Life Back Into the Beast.

By TractorDoc

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by TractorDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 219 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

42607340_10108599890946487_1100435771594113024_o (resized).jpg
5J5A9678 (resized).JPG
5J5A9677 (resized).JPG
5J5A9669 (resized).JPG
5J5A9664 (resized).JPG
5J5A9661 (resized).JPG
5J5A9660 (resized).JPG
5J5A9658 (resized).JPG
5J5A9659 (resized).JPG
5J5A9657 (resized).JPG
5J5A9654 (resized).JPG
5J5A9656 (resized).JPG
5J5A9655 (resized).JPG
Paragon Apron (resized).jpg
5J5A9646 (resized).JPG
5J5A9637 (resized).JPG

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 days ago

Took some time to work with the main apron today. Decided to give making one myself a try.

Here is the starting point. The original and a piece of sheet metal.

5J5A9654 (resized).JPG

Measured and traced out the pattern.

5J5A9655 (resized).JPG

Cut out the pattern.

5J5A9656 (resized).JPG

The tricky part -- creating the slots and recessed areas for the instruction cards. I drilled several holes then filed the rectangular openings for the card corners. To create the recess I used a wood chisel to make a pattern in some scrap wood. Using another block of wood I hammered the card area into the wood form to create the recess.

5J5A9657 (resized).JPG

View of the underside.

5J5A9658 (resized).JPG

And the topside. It is far from perfect or a factory original, but I am happy with it considering the tools I had to work with.

5J5A9659 (resized).JPG

Before shutting down for the night a coat of primer was applied and the instruction cards were test fitted.

5J5A9661 (resized).JPG

Looking forward to what it will look like once painted.

5J5A9660 (resized).JPG

#152 6 days ago

Wow that apron is impressive.

#154 6 days ago

I'd say that's a really good start!!

#155 5 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Took some time to work with the main apron today. Decided to give making one myself a try.
Here is the starting point. The original and a piece of sheet metal.
[quoted image]
Measured and traced out the pattern.
[quoted image]
Cut out the pattern.
[quoted image]
The tricky part -- creating the slots and recessed areas for the instruction cards. I drilled several holes then filed the rectangular openings for the card corners. To create the recess I used a wood chisel to make a pattern in some scrap wood. Using another block of wood I hammered the card area into the wood form to create the recess.
[quoted image]
View of the underside.
[quoted image]
And the topside. It is far from perfect or a factory original, but I am happy with it considering the tools I had to work with.
[quoted image]
Before shutting down for the night a coat of primer was applied and the instruction cards were test fitted.
[quoted image]
Looking forward to what it will look like once painted.
[quoted image]

I need one for a Flash Gordon while you're at it

#156 5 days ago

Sprayed some paint over that primer.

5J5A9664 (resized).JPG

Unfortunately my color matching skills missed the mark. The original apron is a purple color, my offering is definitely more blue. I am thinking the blue may blend with the rest of the playfield. . . tempting fate I carried the still drying apron over and set it on top. Apron blue matches the blue at the top of the playfield, so there is that. The apron should look less prominent and obnoxious if I am successful in applying the decals.

5J5A9669 (resized).JPG

#157 1 day ago

Spent most of this weekend's pinball time fixing up a Bally Mystic to get it ready for the Ohio Show next month. I did think about the lighting on Paragon for a bit though.

Normally on these older games I am an incandescent guy, but there are a couple factors on Paragon that have me a little bulb curious when it comes to LEDs.

Factor 1 -- Heat. An incandescent is going to put off some heat, even a 47 which is what I normally use. It may be minimal heat, but I'd like to avoid any added expansion/contraction on the inserts under the clear by eliminating the heat factor. I tested some Comet warm white frosted bulbs under the inserts (color matched a couple reds, green, etc. -- the yellows looked too amber so I stuck with warm whites on those) and I think they look good.

Factor 2. Access. Several GI bulbs are buried under several sets of plastics and a burnt out bulb would be a bit of work to replace. The LED bulb may last a bit longer in those areas. Under playfield areas are a bit easier to get to but still a pain.

Factor 3. I accidentally ordered an Alltek Lamp Driver Board during one of those E-bay discount/coupon offers awhile back. I ordered what I thought was an MPU and SD board combo. . . only to realize it was the lamp driver instead. Thought it was an awful good price to begin with. . . Anyway, I could use the Alltek Lamp Driver and not worry about LED converters.

I fitted some Comet clear sunlight bulbs into the GI and I think I like the overall effect.

5J5A9677 (resized).JPG

I set several of the plastics in place to see how things would look. . . I just may have to stick with these and see how it all looks put together.

5J5A9678 (resized).JPG

Playfield should be ready for waxing later this week!

#158 1 day ago

I had Comet 2SMD warm whites in my Paragon and really loved how they looked. There isn't a ton of GI in that game (compared to how huge the PF is) and it really does help light it up. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it.

Edit: Found one. I miss having them all lined up

42607340_10108599890946487_1100435771594113024_o (resized).jpg
#159 1 day ago

Also, it is a cell phone pic, but the artwork isn't washed out like how some pictures can show.

#160 1 day ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I need one for a Flash Gordon while you're at it

fatpanda FG apron repros were available at PPS last time I checked (& bought).....

#161 1 day ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

fatpanda FG apron repros were available at PPS last time I checked (& bought).....

I almost forgot about these. . . trying to convince brenna98 to press out some wide body versions!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproduction-bally-aprons

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 157.00
$ 142.00
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Marblehead, MA
$ 40.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Concord, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 50.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside