5J5A9939 (resized).JPG
5J5A9940 (resized).JPG
5J5A9487 (resized).JPG
5J5A9483 (resized).JPG
5J5A9482 (resized).JPG
5J5A9484 (resized).JPG
5J5A2956 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 26.
#51 5 years ago

From your pictures, that cabinet looks pretty nice for how old it is.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

From your pictures, that cabinet looks pretty nice for how old it is.

Considering its age it really is in good shape. Structurally sound too. While I don't mind cleaning up/improving some areas I also like preserving the "patina" in others.

Quoted from Arcane:

If you do not intend to repaint the cabinet, I would not touch the rails and use some tape on the wood to protect the cabinet during the polishing of the rails in place. Also, if you replace the rails or take them off, make sure to use little wood screws to re-assemble them instead of these twisted nails.

The wood screws are a great idea for the install -- did that with Nine Ball.
I had full intentions of leaving the rails in place but as I was setting the cabinet upright as you see it in the last picture I felt a slight pop from the forward part of the rail where the ground bolt normally holds it in. The rail did not crease or anything but I could see a lot of dried soda, beer, or blood between the cabinet and rail. The "pop" was the rail breaking free from the crustiness. I am not sure if I can accept leaving it there. . . that sort of thing keeps me awake at night.

#53 5 years ago

Soooo. . . I could not hold back anymore and took action.
Pinsiders in the know are aware there is a Vid's guide for everything, including removing side rails. I sort of followed his guide but had to improvise with my nail pullers. Started with a firm flat scraper attempting to gently lift the rail from the cabinet body and pull the nail with it.

5J5A8772 (resized).JPG5J5A8772 (resized).JPG

With the nail head exposed I was able to grab it and pull it the rest of the way out with my sharp nosed pliers. Shop rag buffer behind the pliers to minimize scratching.

5J5A8774 (resized).JPG5J5A8774 (resized).JPG

Nail removed.

5J5A8775 (resized).JPG5J5A8775 (resized).JPG

Using the gently lifting/prying/pulling technique I was able to extract all of those twisty nails.

5J5A8776 (resized).JPG5J5A8776 (resized).JPG

With the rail removed the underlying substances are revealed. Not as bad as I had remembered. . . but a good amount was stuck to the rail as well.

5J5A8777 (resized).JPG5J5A8777 (resized).JPG

Now I can sleep at night.

5J5A8778 (resized).JPG5J5A8778 (resized).JPG

A few dings here and there, but the rails should clean up nicely.

5J5A8780 (resized).JPG5J5A8780 (resized).JPG

I've been a bit sidetracked the last week or so. I've been put in charge of entertainment for this weekend's Christmas gathering -- with many younger nephews visiting (as well as many young-at-heart adults) I've turned the shop into a mini arcade. As of tonite everything is cleaned, waxed, and ready to go!

5J5A8764 (resized).JPG5J5A8764 (resized).JPG

#54 5 years ago

You did a good job with the rails. Congrats. It is never easy to remove them.

Yves

#55 5 years ago

Preliminary buffing on the rails/coin door framing done. One more round of polishing should have them ready to reinstall.

5J5A8805 (resized).JPG5J5A8805 (resized).JPG

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I am going back and forth between pulling the cabinet side rails to clean them up and leaving them.

I was typing a great encouraging reply to your quandary, then saw page two,
I knew you could do it!

#57 5 years ago

Great progress, also a personal favorite and happy to see it get cleaned up.

#58 5 years ago

Great machine. I will be watching with interest.

Is this going to be for sale after the resto?

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I knew you could do it!

Quoted from jsa:

Great progress, also a personal favorite and happy to see it get cleaned up.

Quoted from Daditude:

Great machine. I will be watching with interest.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Quoted from Daditude:

Is this going to be for sale after the resto?

I'd probably hold off from calling this a restoration, more of a good cleaning up. For sale? Really it depends on how I like the game play. Have not played Paragon yet, looking forward to the opportunity. If I'm not feeling it you'll probably see it on the marketplace, otherwise Paragon might stay awhile until space issues become a problem.

Reinstalled the cabinet rails today.

5J5A8809 (resized).JPG5J5A8809 (resized).JPG

Found a bin of stray screws and managed to count out enough matching to use on the rails. Not quite a mirror finish, but look close enough and you might be able to tell I need a haircut.

5J5A8814 (resized).JPG5J5A8814 (resized).JPG

I made a point to line up all the screw slots in the same direction. Yep, I'm that guy. Come over to my house and all the screws on my electrical outlet covers are lined up the same too.

5J5A8813 (resized).JPG5J5A8813 (resized).JPG

#60 5 years ago

Did you decide if you are going to clearcoat the playfield?

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

Did you decide if you are going to clearcoat the playfield?

I've been giving it significant thought. Right now I'm leaning towards not for several reasons. . . I already have the game specific playfield protector and may give it a go first. It is less permanent and I am less likely muck it up. I can use the protector right off vs. waiting for the clear to cure. I will see how my playfield touchups turn out, but that is where my mind is at.

#62 5 years ago

Paragon is a great player. Very difficult to master.

#63 5 years ago

The fact that you are doing this without ever playing a Paragon blows my mind. My favorite part of this hobby is seeing how other people approach it. Bravo sir.

I think you will like Paragon. I feel as if some games are designed to teach you a specific skill, intentionally or not. Paragon is tap pass 101

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

The fact that you are doing this without ever playing a Paragon blows my mind. My favorite part of this hobby is seeing how other people approach it. Bravo sir.
I think you will like Paragon. I feel as if some games are designed to teach you a specific skill, intentionally or not. Paragon is tap pass 101

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I've been giving it significant thought. Right now I'm leaning towards not for several reasons. . . I already have the game specific playfield protector and may give it a go first. It is less permanent and I am less likely muck it up. I can use the protector right off vs. waiting for the clear to cure. I will see how my playfield touchups turn out, but that is where my mind is at.

Do what you are comfortable with but with the mylar off thats the scariest part. A coat of clear would leave the artwork well protected.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

Do what you are comfortable with but with the mylar off thats the scariest part. A coat of clear would leave the artwork well protected.

I hear ya. I figure that if I like the game enough I can always go back and clear it. That would lead to a lot of taking things apart all over again, but it would not be the first time I've made more work for myself.

Quoted from davjoszie:

Thanks!
If I've played or not, its still pinball right?
Everyone has their hobbies, I enjoy the process of fixing things. Working in the shop on a project is my way of shutting off the rest of the world and "relaxing." Sometimes frustrations overcome the relaxation, but conquering new challenges is part of the fun, right? The icing on the cake is getting to play the game once work is done -- like taking a car or tractor for that first drive after going thru a similar process. Its an experience one cannot put a value on.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Also, if you replace the rails or take them off, make sure to use little wood screws to re-assemble them instead of these twisted nails.
Yves

Would not look right, & really, when are you ever going to take them off again?

#68 5 years ago

Cleaned up and reinstalled the coin door trim and ground straps.

Inside:

5J5A8831 (resized).JPG5J5A8831 (resized).JPG

Outside:

5J5A8833 (resized).JPG5J5A8833 (resized).JPG

I have a new power cord to replace the cracked/compromised original; once swapped out I will be able to reinstall the cabinet wiring harness.

#69 5 years ago

New power cord soldered in last night.

Before removing the original cord I marked the terminals for good measure. The hot wire is smooth while the neutral has grooves in the insulation.

5J5A8855 (resized).JPG5J5A8855 (resized).JPG

New cord on and ready to go.

5J5A8856 (resized).JPG5J5A8856 (resized).JPG

#70 5 years ago

Today I was able to move forward on installing the cabinet wiring harness and coin door.

A couple interior pictures.

5J5A8867 (resized).JPG5J5A8867 (resized).JPG

5J5A8865 (resized).JPG5J5A8865 (resized).JPG

Making our way out the door.

5J5A8870 (resized).JPG5J5A8870 (resized).JPG

A couple exterior pictures.

5J5A8862 (resized).JPG5J5A8862 (resized).JPG

5J5A8872 (resized).JPG5J5A8872 (resized).JPG

The cabinet should be complete enough that I can return my attention back to the playfield. I have been working on several new designs for drop target and spinner decals -- with those in the works I can get back to taking apart and cleaning the under field mechs.

#71 5 years ago

Looking great. And it’s remarkable how unfaded that original paint job is.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Looking great. And it’s remarkable how unfaded that original paint job is.

Thanks! The cabinet color is one of the reasons I will leave it as is. . . even with some bumps and dings.

No dramatic updates at this point. I have been cleaning the playfield underside and gluing some lifting inserts. I usually use these cotton tipped swabs for dog ear cytology at work -- they do a good job of cleaning the underside of inserts and other hard to reach spots.

5J5A8901 (resized).JPG5J5A8901 (resized).JPG

I found a couple separated wires/resistor leads that need soldered but most of the major cleaning has been accomplished.

5J5A8900 (resized).JPG5J5A8900 (resized).JPG

This is the adhesive I used to re-glue inserts back into place. Not sure if it is the best choice, but I wanted to use a two part adhesive and the packaging says it works with wood and plastic. The preferred color would be clear but tan was the only option on the plastic specific blend. It actually matched the large "Paragon" inserts nicely. I also liked the fact that it is easily recapped for future use.

5J5A8902 (resized).JPG5J5A8902 (resized).JPG

I have plans to remove the wood rails to touch up the paint, once they are off I can focus on the playfield topside.

#73 5 years ago

Targeted wood rail removal today.
Back in the day it appears Bally took the time to drill holes in the playfield, but screws must have been too expensive so staples were used to secure the rails in place instead.

5J5A8903 (resized).JPG5J5A8903 (resized).JPG

Luckily I can afford some new screws and will avoid using staples when the time comes to reattach the rails. Before rail removal I used the existing holes as a template to drill pilot holes into the rails to assure reattachment in the same positions. (The bit is pictured on the outside for reference).

5J5A8904 (resized).JPG5J5A8904 (resized).JPG

A punch was used to move the rail away from the playfield enough to then use a bar for final separation.

5J5A8905 (resized).JPG5J5A8905 (resized).JPG

5J5A8909 (resized).JPG5J5A8909 (resized).JPG

With the rails removed the playfield is turned right side up. Next up will be mylar adhesive removal.

5J5A8917 (resized).JPG5J5A8917 (resized).JPG

#74 5 years ago

Don't you just love how the 80's Bally games have the rails stapled in even though there are holes there for screws? I had a Medusa that was a bitch to get the rails separated from. Corner cutting I guess.

#75 5 years ago

Strange...you wouldn't think screws would be that big of a deal to use.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Don't you just love how the 80's Bally games have the rails stapled in even though there are holes there for screws? I had a Medusa that was a bitch to get the rails separated from. Corner cutting I guess.

Yeah, and a real challenge to remove as well. The staples are of a length that they aren't used elsewhere on the build, so I can't imagine the design decision there other than speed of assembly, which is what, seconds difference?

#77 5 years ago

Tried to enhance the wood rails a bit over lunch today.
This set is actually made of wood (still a cheap wood) vs. the fake wood like coating used on other rails I've worked with. I have made some new sets or could have requested a set from Mr. Reese but these should still work as designed. I did want to brighten the paint up some though.

Before:

5J5A8924 (resized).JPG5J5A8924 (resized).JPG

The non visible sides never received much stain/color. Cost savings measures I suppose.

5J5A8925 (resized).JPG5J5A8925 (resized).JPG

Sanded the rails with some 80 grit and sprayed with a deep/royal blue. Not a perfect match, but best I could come up with in a rattle can. No expenses spared -- I painted both sides.

5J5A8926 (resized).JPG5J5A8926 (resized).JPG

#78 5 years ago

After raiding the cooking cupboard for some flour I worked on mylar adhesive removal yesterday.

5J5A8932 (resized).JPG5J5A8932 (resized).JPG

I wet the adhesive with alcohol and coat it with a layer of flour.

5J5A8933 (resized).JPG5J5A8933 (resized).JPG

I tried something a bit different this time vs. jumping right in with finger rubbing. I used a plastic auto trim removal tool to slide along the playfield and peel away the flour/adhesive mixture. Not recommending this as the standard approach to take -- in my situation the plastic slid along the playfield with no damage to the underlying artwork. It took about four light applications of alcohol/flour followed by the trim tool before nearly all the adhesive was gone (the area in front of the slingshots took one or two more) but in the end this approach was a real finger saver.

5J5A8934 (resized).JPG5J5A8934 (resized).JPG

Playfield shots less adhesive.

5J5A8937 (resized).JPG5J5A8937 (resized).JPG

5J5A8938 (resized).JPG5J5A8938 (resized).JPG

When cleaning the inserts I could not help but notice the star rollovers were quite filthy. I extracted the stars yesterday as well to either better clean or ultimately replace them.

5J5A8940 (resized).JPG5J5A8940 (resized).JPG

Removing the stars has of course brought me one step closer to thinking I should just go ahead and clearcoat the darn playfield. I will keep thinking about it as I attempt artwork touchups. . . I change my mind about it every couple hours or so. No better time than now with everything removed, just do not want to ruin the playfield somehow.

#79 5 years ago

I would recommend clear coating. It will add a lot of life to it.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

It's pretty much at that stage. Do a little touch up, clear coat it, and let it cure. @tractordoc, you are literally 90% of the way to a clear coat ready pf!

#81 5 years ago

I was inspired to add some paragon styling to my gameroom. I found a guy on ebay that does custom pinball and arcade items with lighting.

20190110_142644 (resized).jpg20190110_142644 (resized).jpg
#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Quoted from FatPanda:

It's pretty much at that stage. Do a little touch up, clear coat it, and let it cure.

Yeah, more than likely there will be a Paragon Playfield Protector on the marketplace in the future. . .

#83 5 years ago

Took some time today to remove the shank nails that secure the pop bumper coil brackets as well as the flipper bushings -- the last bits poking above the playfield.

5J5A8942 (resized).JPG5J5A8942 (resized).JPG

To keep the coil units from flopping around I temporarily secured them to the playfield harness with zip ties.

5J5A8941 (resized).JPG5J5A8941 (resized).JPG

Several spots on the playfield had lifted flakes of wood where the posts were removed.

5J5A8948 (resized).JPG5J5A8948 (resized).JPG

I used a domed and a flat punch to flatten the lifted areas.

5J5A8949 (resized).JPG5J5A8949 (resized).JPG

5J5A8950 (resized).JPG5J5A8950 (resized).JPG

Playfield surface clear of all hardware. I've even tried starting touchups in several areas -- mostly the worn areas near the kick outs. Still need to add the "F" in Cliff.

5J5A8943 (resized).JPG5J5A8943 (resized).JPG

#84 5 years ago

Today I gave the playfield the Alcohol/Magic Eraser treatment to remove whatever dirt/old lacquer finish I could.

I also had enough time to start some touchups. I dug up/cropped down an earlier picture to show some wear areas (look around the Paragon letters and the thousands inserts below) and several mal-alignments (most obvious around the 2X and shoot again inserts).

5J5A3226A (resized).JPG5J5A3226A (resized).JPG

Little by little I touched up the black around the inserts. Looks like I had worked on "PAR," 2X, and 3X in this picture.

5J5A8956 (resized).JPG5J5A8956 (resized).JPG

Createx paints, a cup, and a fine brush used to enhance the thousands inserts.

5J5A8958 (resized).JPG5J5A8958 (resized).JPG

The lower inserts were enough to eat up what time I had available -- if I like how things dry I will use some heat to fix the color.

5J5A8962 (resized).JPG5J5A8962 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#85 5 years ago

Finally had a chance to focus on the playfield again today.
I believe I am getting closer to finishing the color/detail touchups.

Several close ups -- my color matching is ok but not perfect. The green wings and "F" in CLIFF took several attempts to get something close. Painting in the yellows/golds/browns in the treasure corner was fun too.

5J5A9162 (resized).JPG5J5A9162 (resized).JPG

5J5A9163 (resized).JPG5J5A9163 (resized).JPG

One more full playfield pic after touchups.

5J5A9161 (resized).JPG5J5A9161 (resized).JPG

My next step will be venturing into another new-to-me playfield fixin' experience. I acquired some friskit and some new tools to paint the white areas on the playfield.

5J5A8963 (resized).JPG5J5A8963 (resized).JPG

OK, not the highest quality tools but this will be my first attempt at airbrushing and wanted to try it on a budget. I can always upgrade if I find the airbrush is my calling.

#86 5 years ago

Everything's looking real nice so far I'll be curious how the white turns out I have the exact same tools but haven't built up enough courage to try it yet I'll be watching

#87 5 years ago

Looks really great Doc! I'd be hard pressed to point out the touch up areas if you hadn't said anything. Even after you pointing it out, I still had a hard time seeing what was touched up. Nice work! Glad you're going with the clear coat route! I think you'll be infinitely happier.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

first attempt at airbrushing

First lemme say I'm far from an artist, so don't need fancy stuff. I tried two different styles of the airbrush you picture and for simple non shading touchups, I ended up using this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html

The style you show I found clogged WAY TOO often for the way I paint. I'm sure there are tips and tricks I don't know on how to use them but for the one in link I posted, I've had 0 issues. Just my . . .

2 cents (resized).jpg2 cents (resized).jpg
#90 5 years ago

Today was a good day to try something new.

After taking care of a few other tasks I had the afternoon free to try my hand with an airbrush. The end goal was to repaint the white areas on the playfield that after 40 years have taken on a yellow tone.

Started with Frisket and Masking Paper. I used the blue tape along most of the straight edges and frisketed the slingshots, waterfall, and upper right "teardrop."

5J5A9176 (resized).JPG5J5A9176 (resized).JPG

Here you can see the shiny frisket covering the waterfall and the dull playfield surface where I had cut the frisket out. I took a scruff pad to the playfield surface to give the paint a good foundation.

5J5A9178 (resized).JPG5J5A9178 (resized).JPG

It took a little trial and error, but after about a half an hour the yellowed areas were once again white. I think my biggest challenge was getting the paint thinned just right. In Vid's playfield guide he mentions that Createx Paints do not need thinning but my bottle of white seems rather thick and would not spray unless thinned down a bit.

5J5A9182 (resized).JPG5J5A9182 (resized).JPG

I removed the tape/frisket and WOW what a difference. The new white has all the other colors popping. Just a few more touch ups to finish and we may be ready for the first coat of clear soon.

5J5A9197 (resized).JPG5J5A9197 (resized).JPG

#91 5 years ago

Wow looks great! My white Createx paint comes out of the bottle like soft serve ice cream too. Definitely needs to be thinned.

#92 5 years ago

Absolutely amazing playfield!! This is such a great follow!

#93 5 years ago

What did you thin it with?
I've heard people use windshield washer fluid but I always buy the rainex type, don't think that would be a good one to use.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

What did you thin it with?

I had a small bottle of Createx Reducer that I ordered when purchasing the paints:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Bottle says its 2-Butoxyl Ethanol.

#95 5 years ago

That's the same stuff I have works good

#96 5 years ago

This has been a great thread to follow, Paragon is a good game you'll end up keeping it for sure.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Looks really great Doc!

Quoted from timab2000:

Wow looks great!

Quoted from wyopin:

Absolutely amazing playfield!! This is such a great follow!

Quoted from RWH:

This has been a great thread to follow, Paragon is a good game you'll end up keeping it for sure.

I really appreciate the positive comments.

The more I work with the game the more I am appreciating the artwork. Unless it is a terrible player Paragon will probably stick around; even if just to turn the game on to be gazed upon from time to time. Provided I can keep enough space available. . .

#98 5 years ago

Doc, Doc, how's the patient, any update????

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I really appreciate the positive comments.
The more I work with the game the more I am appreciating the artwork. Unless it is a terrible player Paragon will probably stick around; even if just to turn the game on to be gazed upon from time to time. Provided I can keep enough space available. . .

Paragon is a beast of a player for that time period. Very rewarding when played well, and extremely frustrating when things don't go well. My kinda pin.........

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Paragon is a beast of a player for that time period. Very rewarding when played well, and extremely frustrating when things don't go well. My kinda pin.........

Sounds like a love/hate relationship. Looking forward to that first game!

Quoted from RWH:

Doc, Doc, how's the patient, any update????

Yes and no on the update. I spent the rest of the weekend cleaning up/painting the legs on my Meteor so I could bring it into the office. A win/win for me 'cause the employees love it and I have room for one more game at home.

5J5A9218 (resized).JPG5J5A9218 (resized).JPG

As far as Paragon goes I did nothing . . . but my graphics contact came thru and delivered with some new decals I've tried designing. I want to make a couple subtle tweaks to the game to my personal taste -- the purists need not worry as I do not plan on doing anything permanent like changing the lovely blonde's hair red. I do want to mix up the graphics on the drop targets a bit and perhaps the spinner -- I acquired some blank drops to put these new decals on.

Can you guess which ones are for Paragon? Tried making a couple for Meteor, Nine Ball, Standard Classic Stern, and replacements for my Dirty Harry standups that have seen better days.

5J5A9219 (resized).JPG5J5A9219 (resized).JPG

Today I've been pulling my hair out working on a new phone system in the office -- going digital running all new Cat 5e wire to replace the old Cat 3. Fun times!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

There are 1,263 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-paragon-breathing-life-back-into-the-beast/page/2?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.